• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Usually to drive healthy competition you use things like lower prices or more features (like Origins live chat service and refund policy). But ya know paying to delist it on all other stores works too.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
That's honestly a pretty unimpressive list for an entire company like Valve for a full year.
Valve only has around 350 employees and do stuff like support TF2, CSGO and Dota 2. They're also working on VR hardware and working on VR games (one of which is Half Life VR according to code that people find in Source 2 updates). They're also working on In The Valley of Gods.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There is no moral obligation to buy a videogame and the mindset that you are "punishing" a dev by not buying their game is completely nonsensical.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is no moral obligation to buy a videogame and the mindset that you are "punishing" a dev by not buying their game is completely nonsensical.
No it's not.

A boycot here has the knock on effect of punishing the dev for the actions of the publisher.

This is an unfortunate truth, but it is a truth. Massive had nothing to do with this shitty deal, and loss of players is a negative for them.

This isn't hard to see. This isn't guilt tripping. This is the unfortunate reality of this shit situation.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not.

A boycot here has the knock on effect of punishing the dev for the actions of the publisher.

This is an unfortunate truth, but it is a truth. Massive had nothing to do with this shitty deal, and loss of players is a negative for them.

This isn't hard to see. This isn't guilt tripping. This is the unfortunate reality of this shit situation.
Yes it is and they should realize that what their publisher is doing should be called out and boycotted. So I may feel a little bad for massive, it's better to stop shit like this now before it becomes even worst for consumers

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you accept it as a punishment, there is simply no way to act against a publisher without any form of consequences on the devs themself. Regardless of where and when you buy The Division 2, you are still rewarding Ubisoft decision with your money.
Even if we could, the same can be said about any form of boycott of a big company, punish only ubisoft and for all we know that still mean multiple people loose their job or bonus or raises even if they had nothing to do with the decision that lead to that boycott.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you accept it as a punishment, there is simply no way to act against a publisher without any form of consequences on the devs themself. Regardless of where and when you buy The Division 2, you are still rewarding Ubisoft decision with your money.
Even if we could, the same can be said about any form of boycott of a big company, punish only ubisoft and for all we know that still mean multiple people loose their job or bonus or raises even if they had nothing to do with the decision that lead to that boycott.

This is sadly true.

Yes it is and they should realize that what their publisher is doing should be called out and boycotted. So I may feel a little bad for massive, it's better to stop shit like this now before it becomes even worst for consumers
You literally said it's bad for the devs, so it's not nonsensical. It can't be nonsensical if you agree it has a negative knock on effect.

It makes perfect sense that to are harming the devs with a boycott even if that is not your intent.

Again, this is the unhappy reality of it.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

As I've said a few times ITT, don't punish Massive - the devs who made the game, for this shitty deal.

Reads like guilt tripping to me. Reads like posts you get everytime someone decides to not buy something for some reason. Doesn't work, Massive are a part of Ubisoft, a part of the problem, so too bad, something's got to give and as far as I'm concerned they're collectively punishing us, the consumers. They don't agree with Ubi? Do a Bungie and leave. They can't? Again, too bad for them, it's not my job to look out for them.

I mean the EGS-brigade tells us all the time how customers getting f'd over is good in the long run. Well alright, then I'll take the same stance in regards to devs getting f'd over. Maybe if enough feel the fallout then they'll start questioning these shitty deals and start a change to the better from the inside.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B-but dont you get it ? It's a necessary evil !
In order to make sure Valve do something and may not be tempted to pay for exclusives and kill smaller stores... We need to entrust Epic Games Store who pay for exclusives, do nothing but kill smaller stores !
OHHHH I finally get it. It's not like Valve is going to improve itself, it's just that by making the worst PC store and platform ever, Epic is going to make Valve look amazing in comparison. How far does this rabbit hole go? I bet Tim Sweeney is secretly on Valve's payroll.

It is both, it's a fair choice for you but you can't deny the knock on effect. It's the unhappy truth of it.

Yes you are because the better the game does the better it is for them. It's not just about sales.

I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone at all, I'm just stating is harming the developers because it is.
I hope you're buying multiple copies of every game ever released, and also apply this logic to every product ever made. Otherwise, you're unfairly scamming starving creators out of their deserved money for no proper reason. You filthy thief!

Don't you see? It's your duty as a Gamer™ to give your money to developers. Your opinions or principles don't matter, only thing that does is that you buy their products. After all, they are entitled to your money, it's rightfully theirs and not doing so would punish them.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Reads like guilt tripping to me. Reads like posts you get everytime someone decides to not buy something for some reason. Doesn't work, Massive are a part of Ubisoft, a part of the problem, so too bad, something's got to give and as far as I'm concerned they're collectively punishing us, the consumers. They don't agree with Ubi? Do a Bungie and leave. They can't? Again, too bad for them, it's not my job to look out for them.

I mean the EGS-brigade tells us all the time how customers getting f'd over is good in the long run. Well alright, then I'll take the same stance in regards to devs getting f'd over. Maybe if enough feel the fallout then they'll start questioning these shitty deals and start a change to the better from the inside.
Then you're reading it badly, because stating a thing has a knock on effect is not even close to guilt tripping.

Massive have nothing to do with this deal. You're wrong about both things.

OHHHH I finally get it. It's not like Valve is going to improve itself, it's just that by making the worst PC store and platform ever, Epic is going to make Valve look amazing in comparison. How far does this rabbit hole go? I bet Tim Sweeney is secretly on Valve's payroll.

I hope you're buying multiple copies of every game ever released, and also apply this logic to every product ever made. Otherwise, you're unfairly scamming starving creators out of their deserved money for no proper reason. You filthy thief!

Don't you see? It's your duty as a Gamer™ to give your money to developers. Your opinions or principles don't matter, only thing that does is that you buy their products. After all, they are entitled to your money, it's rightfully theirs and not doing so would punish them.

Don't be ridiculous please. This is the reality of the situation, I'm not shaming anyone. Any guilt you feel is on you.

Simply stating this is punishing the devs (ie: making some customers boycott the product) s not anything like what you're describing.

Again: this is on the publishers. Boycott the game if you want, but both the publisher's actions and your boycott are harming the developer who didn't create this shitty deal.

Stating this fact is not guilt tripping.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then you're reading it badly, because stating a thing has a knock on effect is not even close to guilt tripping.

Don't be ridiculous please. This is the reality of the situation, I'm not shaming anyone. Any guilt you feel is on you.

Simply stating this is punishing the devs (ie: making some customers boycott the product) s not anything like what you're describing.

Again: this is on the publishers. Boycott the game if you want, but both the publisher's actions and your boycott are harming the developer who didn't create this shitty deal.

It's not fact, massive is part of ubisoft and they must know they by ubisoft doing this people are not going to support it. I don't feel any guilt for boycotting any money hatted game from the Epic store.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

It still sounds like you say "If you boycott the game and it harms the developer, you are at fault for that."

If there is some scandal about a t-shirt label where it comes out the CEO and management are racists and I boycott, of course their profits might go down and in the end the people creating the designs, the workers, office jobs are punished. I wouldnt really say "If you boycott that t-shirt label you are punishing the ones not responsible for it." because that still sounds like guilt tripping.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

The way you phrase it, asking to buy the game regardless, makes it guilt tripping. And I don't have to care if Massive had any say in the deal, they belong to Ubi, Ubi made the deal. In Germany we have a saying 'mitgehangen, mitgefangen' meaning if you're part of something you have to suffer the consquences if shit goes bad. At some point someone not involved/guilty gets hit, so be it. I myself are getting hit by all these shenenigans, doubt anyone at Massive cares about me though. We don't even know if no one there was involved. Probably not but we don't know.

Anyway, as mentioned I got a free key for 2 but let's say I'll boycott Div3. The money won't just disappear, I'll put it towards other games, other devs will profit. That's how it goes, I can't buy every game I want anyway so be part of something I don't agree with and it's an easy choice for me what to do.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Uplay is giving their "long time" costumers 20% discounts

Ubisoft recently changed this in "short time" costumers, since earned points are being deleted after 24 months. I lost 90% of my points this way. :(

As I've said a few times ITT, don't punish Massive - the devs who made the game, for this shitty deal.

Massive is already paid by Ubisoft. Pulling games away from keystores is a very worrying business move. No way I will support this in any way, and I hope many pc gamers will do the same. Keystores are a vital part of pc gaming for me.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone seen communication about this subject from any other retailers. I can't see any mention from Humble yet.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol............................................................. This is so annoying lol. Dangerous Driving is Epic store exclusive and now its just blocking sales of keys in other places. This Epic store isn't making shit better for me.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most PC games for the past decade have used Valve's Steamworks platform but they haven't been on one store. It is important for this discussion to differentiate between Steam, the store, and Steam, the platform. There has never been any shortage of different stores to buy Steam games from and Steam never attempted to kill competition from alternative vendors the way Epic is doing.

But that's the distinction I'm making. I don't really care which platform I'm "playing" the game on, it's being limited in which venders you can purchase from that truly sucks.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
But that's the distinction I'm making. I don't really care which platform I'm "playing" the game on, it's being limited in which venders you can purchase from that truly sucks.
So you didn't mind that you were only ever buying steam games, so long as you could buy steam games from different stores due to price (i assume)?

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Vg247 is reporting about this matter as well. I hope other game sites follow soon. Publishers boycotting 3rd party keystores is not what pc gaming needs.

So you didn't mind that you were only ever buying steam games, so long as you could buy steam games from different stores due to price (i assume)?

3rd party keystores are selling keys for other clients as well.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, don't misrepresent what you're doing here. You're the one who brought up the devs, no one else did, and you asked one poster not to punish them. You are guilt tripping people, and trying to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. Do you buy every game that gets released? Because according to your logic, not doing so would be harmful for those devs. Unless you believe Massive deserves special treatment for reasons that are unknown to the rest of us.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
what the hell how did i miss this

goddamn the epic game store sucks shit

wish they'd fuck off already

Yeap! I found out about that yesterday in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...er-criterion-developers.104329/#post-18671527. They said it was because of their games not selling well on steam and wanting to try something different which we all know is just bullshit because they would just release it to as many stores as possible if they were trying to sell as much as possible.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Blocking third-party key sales is not only a dick move but also counterproductive considering Steam allows it- the loss of the cut they gain from direct sales by letting people buy keys they can redeem on their client would potentially be offset by getting more people using their client in general, which can translate to more sales (which is why Steam allows it, of course.) Unless they have data suggesting that that's not a worthwhile tradeoff?

Yeap! I found out about that yesterday in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...er-criterion-developers.104329/#post-18671527. They said it was because of their games not selling well on steam and wanting to try something different which we all know is just bullshit because they would just release it to as many stores as possible if they were trying to sell as much as possible.
Presumably Epic offered them more money for exclusivity than they figured they'd lose by not being on other storefronts, and for a smaller dev that's insurance that you can't really justify not taking. Big difference between a small dev like that taking the money and a AAA behemoth doing it.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I love how all these devs sound the same now.

'We aren't anti-Steam, but are just being paid to be'

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, don't misrepresent what you're doing here. You're the one who brought up the devs, no one else did, and you asked one poster not to punish them. You are guilt tripping people, and trying to pretend otherwise is disingenuous. Do you buy every game that gets released? Because according to your logic, not doing so would be harmful for those devs. Unless you believe Massive deserves special treatment for reasons that are unknown to the rest of us.
I'm not guilt tripping anyone. It's very true that a boycott will harm the devs. You can't separate that from your stance against the publishers.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
What happens to the extra keys that the 3rd party resellers have? I guess we aren't going to see a massive sell-off before the launch deadline....

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. It's kind of like with console games you have the ability to buy from a range of different retail stores, but if Microsoft or Sony decided to lock down that process and only sell games on their stores, it would be terrible for consumers.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That explains why its price went up drastically today on cdkeys.
CDkeys copy is only European activation as well. It's the greatest thing known to "competition" as here in Australia we are royally fucked for pricing on Division 2 as most key resellers are European copies and any global ones are about $10 cheaper than buying in store. Compare that to hell DmC 5 and you can see the stark difference Epic creates on their "competitive" nature.

Thanks competition! Sure is great having more expensive and less-attainable games!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What happens to the extra keys that the 3rd party resellers have? I guess we aren't going to see a massive sell-off before the launch deadline....
Many use "Ubisoft connect", not sure exactly how it works, but those keys were never exposed to users, I wonder if retailers don't actually get their hands on keys, rather than plugging into a Ubisoft api or similar.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably Epic offered them more money for exclusivity than they figured they'd lose by not being on other storefronts, and for a smaller dev that's insurance that you can't really justify not taking. Big difference between a small dev like that taking the money and a AAA behemoth doing it.

Don't get me wrong I'm well aware of the real reason. They just can't come out and say "Epic paid us a buncha money so we aren't putting it on Steam now." They want to make it sound like Steam is the issue instead of the upfront money minimizing risks.

One way to make this stop though is just to not buy from the Epic store. I'm personally going to be doing just that... unless Sekiro becomes epic store only. :(

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seriously not buying a goddamn thing from the Epic Store until this bullshit stops. It's just not an option to buy from there, it doesn't matter what exclusives they get.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
They just can't come out and say "Epic paid us a buncha money so we aren't putting it on Steam now." They want to make it sound like Steam is the issue instead of the upfront money minimizing risks.
They could, if they were honest.

Just because everybody knows it's bullshit, doesn't make it right.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
No it's not.

Rather then seeing it as punishing a dev you could instead see it as rewarding other companies that don't do these deals. Most of us arent impossibly rich, we only have the money and time for a select number of games and there is plenty of choice for other games to support instead.