• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This was dead years ago. All they did was finally remove the skeleton that had been picked clean.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I wanted this to come to western consoles so bad. I would've bought any console this game landed on. Even...I can't believe I'm going to say this...a XBX. *barfs*

I have a Xbox One

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Why there isn't a western localization for this game? Is there any legitimate explanation or it's just Sega being Sega?
MMOs are expensive. You have to keep a localization team staffed at all times since the English version would always be behind the Japanese version in content and story. You'd have to run servers, pay a customer support team, sort out payment solutions, etc. It's much more expensive than just putting out an RPG. They probably just didn't think they'd make their money back, or they weren't sure it was worth the risk. It's hard to really blame them. Especially when a lot of the really dedicated community was already playing the Japanese version.

Delta_Reg

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for nothing SEGA. I don't even like MMOs normally but I did have an interest in this one for sure. Your own lack of confidence is what hurt you.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to get the English patch and play it. That being said it only kept me going for a few days. Everything seems like a chore to do in that game, the menus are a mess and the combat is just not very fun. Does'nt touch PSO not even for nostalgia sake.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
They didn't bring over Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity either, which was a shame as it really improved upon the already pretty fun Phantasy Star Portable 2.
Yep.

Between that and Nova being passed over, I really have no confidence in Phantasy's prospects in the west. Sad, too, since the original PSO and Phantasy Star Portable scratched itches that I likely won't quite get ever again.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure the original pso was far more popular in america than japan. I'm not saying it would have been a colossal hit but I'm sure they would have at least made money over here. People were very legit hyped when this was originally announced.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
mBEbGgn.png

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
After such a wild 2017, there had to be a bad news somewhere down the line.

Sega, I love you as much as I hate you.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally gone, got oddly nostalgic when whenever PSO popped into my mind and I would visit the site. Wonder if anyone archived it.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game became a licensing nightmare pretty quickly, so I was just hoping they would cut the content that would have caused conflicts...guess not :c

PIkkonX

Oct 27, 2017
I wish someone would ask Sega exactly WTF happened with the release of this title over here. No beating around the bush or accepting the spoonfed answers. Outside of the licensing issues, I just can't understand why it never released. Some of my all-time favorite gaming moments were on PSO and I still keep in contact with some folks I met on there.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate you Sega.

You used to be cool.
It kills me to say it but Sega's been dead for a long time.
For me anyway they were so fucking amazing in the 32bit era,love my Saturn to death. To see what they are today though is so disturbing. I'm at the point now where I just wish one of the hardware makers would buy them up and return them to being proper again.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I played PSO2 on Japanese for a few monthss on my ps4 and honestly...............PSO Episode 1 and 2 was still a better experience. You aren't missing out.
It's almost like comparing the masterpiece that is Diablo II to Diablo 3

Oct 27, 2017
I wish someone would ask Sega exactly WTF happened with the release of this title over here. No beating around the bush or accepting the spoonfed answers. Outside of the licensing issues, I just can't understand why it never released. Some of my all-time favorite gaming moments were on PSO and I still keep in contact with some folks I met on there.

Maybe we need to get Jason on this, but ultimately I think it came down to business reasons and that they thought there wouldn't be a market for it westward. I will say that their communication with this game was strange as they could've killed the goose a long time ago and straight up told people it wasn't happening. I think if Phantasy Star Online 2 came around today they would've been much more likely to have localized it due to the current climate being more GAAS and long tail focused. PSO2 was announced at a time when SEGA was not as localization friendly as they are today.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I played PSO2 on Japanese for a few monthss on my ps4 and honestly...............PSO Episode 1 and 2 was still a better experience. You aren't missing out.
It's almost like comparing the masterpiece that is Diablo II to Diablo 3
Yep, any of the intense atmosphere and uniqueness from PSO1 is replaced with otaku anime doll weird creepy stuff in PSO2. People really aren't missing out. Maybe years of content have improved it, but the base game was just bad. The PSP titles were honestly better.
That's why we need a PSO remaster.
PSO Blue Burst remake with VR mode. Just seal up my door.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

It was probably a combination of expense to localize every piece of content in the game and to maintain the game with timely updates. Easy enough to do in their home territory, not so much for sega at least to do so in multiple western territories. They've been notoriously god awful at it with past PSO games. As for licensing issues, they would only need to omit the collab stuff from the international versions, unless they damn near decided to weave it into story arcs themselves. Its a shame though. I found that PSO 2 performed great online even when connecting from the opposite side of the world, comparing to the god awful lag fest of PSU

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, any of the intense atmosphere and uniqueness from PSO1 is replaced with otaku anime doll weird creepy stuff in PSO2. People really aren't missing out. Maybe years of content have improved it, but the base game was just bad. The PSP titles were honestly better.

PSO Blue Burst remake with VR mode. Just seal up my door.

Total recall PSO Remake, just put me to sleep in there.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
MS should just get a deal to make PSO Epsiode 1 & 2 from the OG Xbox backwards compatible

Id be happy

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a cinematic universe could save Sega at this point.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why there isn't a western localization for this game? Is there any legitimate explanation or it's just Sega being Sega?

Despite popular opinion, MMORPGs are costly to maintain, a localization would require a lot of upkeep. It would need its own community managers and such. It's more than just translating a bunch of strings. Sega obviously thought it wouldn't be profitable to run an English version of the game.

Bugy52

Oct 25, 2017
Oklahoma
Sad to see, but its way over do, thankfully, its easy enough to play on the JP servers, and thanks to a great custom launcher, its all translated with no effort on the players part.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
Man, that sucks. I put countless hours into Blue Burst, I guess I shouldn't be surprised given how long it's been since PSO2's Japan release. Well, there's always the English patch.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
The SEA version was "pay to win" with outfits having stat bonuses and more on them. It was also waaaay behind on updates.
Yep and not to mention the localized version was really bad. So giving us SEA's version as placement of the localization would be awful in every way.

I've had my fill with the game.
tbh same. It was fun but a very disappointing follow up from the original game. The social features were very nice though

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It kills me to say it but Sega's been dead for a long time.
For me anyway they were so fucking amazing in the 32bit era,love my Saturn to death. To see what they are today though is so disturbing. I'm at the point now where I just wish one of the hardware makers would buy them up and return them to being proper again.

3D Ages. Sonic Mania. Puyo Puyo Fever.