The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

Batman immediately retires after that and spent eight years wallowing in his mansion.
Instead of just blaming the murders on the joker

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
bridge-symbol.png

moviesfilmsandflix.com

Movie Math: Here’s How Long it Took Batman to Set Up The Flaming Bat Symbol on the Bridge in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’

My naive original goal for this piece was to only focus on how long it took Batman to create the bat fire on the bridge in The Dark Knight Rises. I thought it wouldn’t be difficult due to the…

The answer is approximately three hours. this is right after he flew back from India and somehow snuck onto the island and then someone carried all that flammable liquid with him onto the top of a bridge.
Got nothing on The Punisher.
punish6.jpg

Even better is that nobody would even see it unless they were flying over it at that moment.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
This movie is about as dumb as Prometheus. What a crushing disappointment after TDK.

That's a bit strong isn't it? Prometheus was a whole mess.

I still say Begins was the best one out of the three. I wish the kept the aesthetic for the city the same too, by Dark Knight, Gotham looked like any generic city.

100%
TDKR should've been two movies.

Thats what I feel about Batman V Superman, that should have been 2 movie.

Dark Knight Rises is by no means BvS or Justice League level bad... but man, compared to the previous two Nolan movies Rises feels incredibly half assed.

There are parts of BvS that are better than Rises.

Only good thing about the film was Catwoman.
She was the most solid thing about the film.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
There are parts of BvS that are better than Rises.
Despite this though DKR is generally regarded as "good" but I think that's just bias and overly sentimental for the person that directed it. Nobody's above criticism. This whole "grounded in reality" is bullshit to me. Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is still a bunch of superhero movies

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Man, i hate this line so much, i mean, you could use Richard or even Jason if you don't want to say Dick in your movie but Robin, really?!?

"Robin" is dumb but it gets the point across quickly to a mainstream audience in a way "Richard" or "Jason" would not.

the dark knight is still a masterpiece to me despite it having a glaring issue or two too

The entire third act being crap is more than a glaring issue or two.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Despite this though DKR is generally regarded as "good" but I think that's just bias and overly sentimental for the person that directed it. Nobody's above criticism. This whole "grounded in reality" is bullshit to me. Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is still a bunch of superhero movies

Nolan does get more of a pass and rightfully so in some cases however, The Dark Knight Trilogy gets worse every movie. BvS is flawed beyond belief but most of the Batman stuff is really good.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It's annoying because TDKR is a movie filled with good scenes and is well-crafted (well.... not the fight scenes), but is littered with plot points that are so laughably dumb you can't help but notice.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
He is legally dead, he wouldn't get any of his fortune anyway. He has probably assumed a fake identity now.

He used the Clean Slate program that Kyle was after and any billionaire like Wayne is going to have a cash stash he can dip into on the sly.

Wayne "killed" himself, took a new identity, and retired with Selena to some mega mansion on the Mediterranean coast.

Or he's just using Selena as a sugar mama, since she was hoarding cash all along, getting ready to bolt.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
It's annoying because TDKR is a movie filled with good scenes and is well-crafted (well.... not the fight scenes), but is littered with plot points that are so laughably dumb you can't help but notice.

What's wrong with the fight scenes? I thought they were well done, and had an intensity to them that previous movies in the trilogy did not.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I just hate the boat morality thing. It doesn't fit with the rest of the movie.
hmm, i didn't think the boat morality was bad. the exposition of dialogue from batman explains it...joker was trying to prove that everybody is an anarchist like him at their core, but neither the hardened criminals nor the seemingly innocent were able to murder one another. both boats accepted what they thought would be death at midnight.
Nolan does get more of a pass and rightfully so in some cases however, The Dark Knight Trilogy gets worse every movie. BvS is flawed beyond belief but most of the Batman stuff is really good.
i think tdk is better than bb but i don't think dkr is better than tdk. it's more entertaining than bb because of the world it built but overall it isn't that good just based on everything that's been said in the thread

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
There's some top tier Batmanning in Rises...and a lot of shit too.

+ All the Howard Hughes stuff in the Bat Mansion with frail hermit Bruce is great
+ Batman's actual first appearance on the bike is hype as hell
+ Selina pretending to freak out in the bar
+ Bane's dialogue in the sewer fight
+ Reliably emotional Alfred scenes
+ Batman's "death" fakeout
+ Blake finding the Batcave
+ The Batman and Catwoman rooftop fight
+ The actor cast as young Ra's
+ The attempt to meld the look and feel of the first two films combined

- Every cop trapped underground
- Every cop getting out and charging into battle like an army
- Cable TV in pit prison
- Fixing a broken back with a punch
- Bruce getting back to and into Gotham somehow
- The flaming bat signal
- Batman randomly bumping into Catwoman and the kid
- Blake discovering Bruce is Batman based on an orphan's hunch and not detective work
- Talia's death scene
- The clunky Robin line

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I still can't figure out when he ejected and assuming he ejected over water how he wasn't killed in the blast radius.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
What's wrong with the fight scenes? I thought they were well done, and had an intensity to them that previous movies in the trilogy did not.
Lots of obvious missed punches, people waiting around and falling down for no apparent reason, the nonsensical "charge" scene where the bad guys apparently forgot that they were holding semi-automatic weapons.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The movie sucks.
Heck, the first 10 minutes of Batman Begins shit on the whole ending.

"The world is too small for someone like Bruce Wayne to disappear "

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Lots of obvious missed punches, people waiting around and falling down for no apparent reason, the nonsensical "charge" scene where the bad guys apparently forgot that they were holding semi-automatic weapons.

The 'charge' scene ended with dozens of dead cops, including Gotham's favorite coward Matthew Modine. The rest made the charge and engaged the bad guys hand-to-hand. Are the bad guys supposed to keep firing their weapons in the middle of a crowd that Bane is standing in the middle of?

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
The 'charge' scene ended with dozens of dead cops, including Gotham's favorite coward Matthew Modine. The rest made the charge and engaged the bad guys hand-to-hand. Are the bad guys supposed to keep firing their weapons in the middle of a crowd that Bane is standing in the middle of?
Also the cops didn't have many guns that why they had to charge and fight hand to hand

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017

Bane vs. Batman VS. Captain America vs. Winter Soldier: Which fight scene do you like more?

I have to admit back around 2011 and 2012, I was so obsessed with DKR and Bane, but was disappointed for a myriad of reasons with that movie, this fight scene being one of them. Tom Hardy is a great actor but I also didn't really dig his performance as Bane that much, and the character's...
A lot safer to blame Batman then having Joker on trial for those murders which he didn't commit.
To hell with putting Joker on trial. He's killed people from the beginning to the end of the movie. Not like he will know the name or verify the identity of every person he slaughtered.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
To hell with putting Joker on trial. He's killed people from the beginning to the end of the movie. Not like he will know the name or verify the identity of every person he slaughtered.
I mean even Joker deserves the right to a fair trial, and putting the Joker on trial for the murder of Harvey Dent would be a huge deal. Harvey actually being a murderer would become a very public notion. It's also highly unethical to blame even him for murders he didn't commit. It had to be a sacrifice, Batman choosing to take the blame himself and disappearing.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean even Joker deserves the right to a fair trial, and putting the Joker on trial for the murder of Harvey Dent would be a huge deal. Harvey actually being a murderer would become a very public notion. It's also unethical to blame even him for murders he didn't commit. It had to be a sacrifice, Batman taking the blame himself and disappearing.
Everything they did was unethical "sometimes people deserve more than the truth, they deserve their faith rewarded" - they could have just ruled Harvey Dent's death as an accident and all the rest of the murders on Joker and putting him on trial wouldn't change shit anyway because he's killed countless people

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Everything they did was unethical "sometimes people deserve more than the truth, they deserve their faith rewarded" - they could have just ruled Harvey Dent's death as an accident and all the rest of the murders on Joker and putting him on trial wouldn't change shit anyway because he's killed countless people
Obviously it was still unethical but it's far less serious for Bruce Wayne to decide that Batman - character in a way- will take the blame for the murders rather than putting another blame actually on trial for murders he didn't commit.

How would Harvey Dent's death have been ruled as an accident?

It really just doesn't work to pin it on Joker.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it was still unethical but it's far less serious for Bruce Wayne to decide that Batman - character in a way- will take the blame for the murders rather than putting another blame actually on trial for murders he didn't commit.

How would Harvey Dent's death have been ruled as an accident?

It really just doesn't work to pin it on Joker.
They could just say Dent was suicidal or something like he jumped from the building where Rachel died and he just wasn't the same after all that. To hell with being ethical - blame everything on the Joker.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
They could just say Dent was suicidal or something like he jumped from the building where Rachel died and he just wasn't the same after all that. To hell with being ethical - blame everything on the Joker.
So you have Gotham's symbol of hope committing suicide? That really doesn't work as well either.

I think it's pretty important that Batman did end up breaking his one rule in the movie. The fact is, he did kill Dent. There had to repercussions for that.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
So you have Gotham's symbol of hope committing suicide? That really doesn't work as well either.

I think it's pretty important that Batman did end up breaking his one rule in the movie. The fact is, he did kill Dent. There had to repercussions for that.
Yes, you have Gotham's symbol of hope committing suicide after half his face is blown off and the love of his life blown away at the site he decides to suicide.

Oct 27, 2017
not the complaint I was expecting lol. Movie should've ended with Alfreds smile
Yea. I think actively cutting to the shot of Bruce and Selene made me feel like the movie was made for idiots.

A shot of Alfred smiling would have been a great ending with obvious tasteful implications. Almost feels like a studio thing that they wanted Nolan to add

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I always assume that he had a trust funds all around the world just in case, thats how he managed to get a fast ride back to States and how he's living a retired life. I don't know, it seems like the thing Batman would do.

My only complain with the ending has always been Robin and what the hell he's going to do with the Batcave on the bottom of a Mansion full of Orphans XD
Maybe Bruce will show up once in a while shape him up to be a Terry Gillian type Batman.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They look like they connect
It's not about if it connects or not, it's their fighting styles. We're supposed to believe Bane is a supreme badass and he can't even block or dodge Batman's haymakers. Neither Bane or Batman were even exhausted and Bane beat him soundly before just because it's a bit dark. The writers copied Knightfall and can't even get that part right.

The Nolan movies are more like crime flicks than superhero flicks. Nothing Batman did in those movies should be considered 'super.'

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Regularly reading comic books has made me more forgiving of the non-stop logic/plot holes in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

It is strange (or fitting?) that the series was built on grounded realism and all of that flies out the window in TDKR.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Regularly reading comic books has made me more forgiving of the non-stop logic/plot holes in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

It is strange (or fitting?) that the series was built on grounded realism and all of that flies out the window in TDKR.

These movies were never really grounded or realistic, though, they were just darker and less cartoony than most comic book movies that came before them, which lent an air of verisimilitude to them. At the end of the day they were still always movies about a psychotic billionaire dressing up as a bat and using ridiculous fictional technology to fight mythical supervillains whose motives and methods made no sense, and none of that matters because unless you're (editorial you, not you specifically) a killjoy who gets off on trashing inconsequential "plot holes" in films, they were fun and entertaining as hell.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've bested a thousand men in hand-to-hand combat and yeah, if you slow down any fight scene the fact that it's choreographed will eventually reveal itself. You could do this to almost any movie and find hilarious gaffes.
LOL you're missing the point. Having choreography isn't the problem. At least make it look cool. They could start by, I dunno, hiring actual competent choreographers. This isn't 1989. There are a shit load of professionals who can do the job for you.

Figure there are people here who will defend anything Nolan puts out.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
LOL you're missing the point. Having choreography isn't the problem. At least make it look cool. They could start by, I dunno, hiring actual competent choreographers. This isn't 1989. There are a shit load of professionals who can do the job for you.

Figure there are people here who will defend anything Nolan puts out.

Nolan is actually my godfather so I am honor bound to defend him.

Or I just think it's silly to whinge about bad choreography that you can only tell is bad by putting it in slow-mo.

It's probably one of those two.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
These movies were never really grounded or realistic, though, they were just darker and less cartoony than most comic book movies that came before them, which lent an air of verisimilitude to them. At the end of the day they were still always movies about a psychotic billionaire dressing up as a bat and using ridiculous fictional technology to fight mythical supervillains whose motives and methods made no sense, and none of that matters because unless you're (editorial you, not you specifically) a killjoy who gets off on trashing inconsequential "plot holes" in films, they were fun and entertaining as hell.

Yep, it's why I think TDKR is quite fitting for the trilogy... it's the "Batmanniest" one of the three, but it was always an inherent inevitability. Even Frank Miller's Dark Knight didn't stay "grounded" for long after Year One.