Deleted member 63846

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Love the show. I thought season 4 was well done and happy they finally spent the entire season on a single book instead of splitting it like they did with season 1 and season 2 (though I vastly prefer that over cramming book 3 into the back half of season 3). As someone mentioned earlier the production values being higher is nice, and it seems they are allowing the show to breathe a bit. I'm happy to hear season 5 had already wrapped shooting so hopefully there won't be any delay in that releasing this year.

Just finished reading book 8 (the best one by far) and am now catching up on the novellas. Is there any book discussion threads here on ResetEra? Have we heard when book 9 releases?

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen anything about the release date of book 9, it's expected some time this year but there's never been a hard date.
And yeah book 8 is fantastic. Didn't expect Nemesis Games to be topped but Tiamat's Wrath goes places.

Deleted member 63846

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Do we not have a book thread? Yeah Book 8 impressed me in a lot of ways. Did not expect to love Elvi's chapters as much as I did, but I quickly began to look forward to them the most. At first I was worried it would be another Prax situation.

I hope the show can get to books 7 and 8 because like you said it "goes places."

When "Timothy" shows up, I've never been so gleefully excited reading a book before in my life.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished S4, watched the entire season in a couple of days.
I really don't understand the hate I've seen towards that season.
Yes, it was way slower than normal, most of the crew stayed in one place for too long, and separate from each other, but I really enjoyed it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple women on Twitter are accusing Cas Anvar of harassment and assault.

There are numerous other accusers in the comments of the tweet.

Airhead

Oct 25, 2017
Like. There prob doesn't need to be a thread for each person. The whole front would be that only unfortunately. But man that's not the bump I was expecting.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty damning if there are several people coming out, and even the book writer knows something about it.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awww sweet, thread bump, is there a teaser trailer, release date, or maybe just someone discovering this awesome series and hype to discuss?

Godamnit...

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's very disappointing. Won't change for this season as afaik they completed filming, but S6 he'll probably be out. Hopefully the recast goes better than with what we got with Benyaer as Arjun.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Not the bump I was expecting. Just replace him, I personally wouldn't mind if they wrote him off but they stay so true to the books they'll just have to recast.

He's a major character but his role is so cliche it shouldn't be hard.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
He was one of the best ones in the show, and he played a large part in getting out the word to have the show picked up.
What a shame that he turned out to be a shithead, filming for Season 5 is already finished so he's gonna be in that one but he's definitely getting replaced Season 6.

I just hope whoever they recast is better fit than the Arjun recast they did, that was awful.

lizzardpt

Feb 6, 2019
This is a shame. I loved him on the show, hope they recast him for season 6. Watching season 5 is going to be awkward.

So season 5 has already finished filming, but any word on when it's expected to air?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's astonishing the number of women that have come forward with their own stories about him in response to the original tweet. We've got double digit numbers.

This is a shame. I loved him on the show, hope they recast him for season 6. Watching season 5 is going to be awkward.

So season 5 has already finished filming, but any word on when it's expected to air?
It's in post atm, so around Nov/Dec

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have read the books, how crucial is he going forward? Maybe recast with a marginal role in season 5 to get people used to the new actor and then if there is a season 6 then use him more.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Alex was one of my favourite characters, oh dear.

Also sucks for the producers having to figure out what to do with the already-shot Season 5. Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have read the books, how crucial is he going forward? Maybe recast with a marginal role in season 5 to get people used to the new actor and then if there is a season 6 then use him more.
Well he is a POV character in the books. He's less important than Holden (obviously) and Naomi (who has her Belter story going for her apart from the ship family), but he's still about as replaceable as Amos (or maybe a little more than Amos), not really very realistic thing to do at this point. That said it's possible to potentially come up with a way to reduce his role/write him off from 2nd half of Season 6 or start of Season 7 depending on when they start book 7 in the TV show, wherein another character does the same things he does. But it's probably better to just recast him in Season 6 from the start and carry on from there.

Season 5 has already been filmed so he's going to be in all of it.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
They can't recast in season 5. It's done filming.

On the assumption that he's gone, they will have to recast in season 6, if it happens.

As for Alex's role going forward:

The things Alex does are crucial. However, it is not crucial for those things to be done by Alex. His character development is probably the least interesting out of all the major characters from this point, and there would be very little lost if he were replaced with a generically good pilot. Recasting would be my preferred option, but if they go with a replacement, then out of all the major characters, Alex is the easiest major character to swap out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they recast him with Taika Watiti, not going to happen but I'd eat that up. That is if he can do a Texan accent.

But let's try to get an actual Indian/Pakistani actor this time around instead of getting Persians and Israelis to play South Asians (they did that with Avasarala and Alex who are Persians, and both Arjuns who are Israeli..though the first Arjun is half Indian)

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Shame,
Imagine if they recast him with Taika Watiti, not going to happen but I'd eat that up. That is if he can do a Texan accent.

But let's try to get an actual Indian/Pakistani actor this time around instead of getting Persians and Israelis to play South Asians (they did that with Avasarala and Alex who are Persians, and both Arjuns who are Israeli..though the first Arjun is half Indian)

I just had a shot of Kumail Nanjiani as Alex. If he could do the accent...

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Well that's disappointing. I'll wait for all the facts to come out but if they do recast it's not the end of the world.

I like the idea of an Indian actor assuming they can find someone who could pull off the accent (tbh Cas' Texas accent is uneven)

I'm curious if they'd go after a familiar TV face or stick to hiring relatively unknown Canadian actors

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's disappointing. I'll wait for all the facts to come out but if they do recast it's not the end of the world.

I like the idea of an Indian actor assuming they can find someone who could pull off the accent (tbh Cas' Texas accent is uneven)

I'm curious if they'd go after a familiar TV face or stick to hiring relatively unknown Canadian actors

Shame,

I just had a shot of Kumail Nanjiani as Alex. If he could do the accent...
Yep Kumail would be cool but I really doubt he can do an accent that doesn't show up his south asian accent underneath. Then again they can have an accent coach. Someone like Naveen Andrews or Sendhil Ramamurthy perhaps, but I can't picture them as anything but serious.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It's interesting that Bobbie and Alex are from Mars but they have such different accents. Bringing in a NZ/Samoan actor to replace Alex would fit in with Bobby. Just make the Alex parts for the new guy. They created a hybrid character from the books with Drummer and did a fantastic job.

I also had no idea both Arjuns were Israeli.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Like the show, he's the least important crew member from a character and relationship perspective. In fact there's an upcoming opportunity to replace him wholesale.

Clarissa Mao joins the crew as a tech. Would be fairly simple to rewrite her as having piloting skills.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Like the show, he's the least important crew member from a character and relationship perspective. In fact there's an upcoming opportunity to replace him wholesale.

Clarissa Mao joins the crew as a tech. Would be fairly simple to rewrite her as having piloting skills.

I was thinking this aswell.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Just go ahead and release season 5 and then get rid of him on season 6. At this point there's no way they can redo the entire shoot.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Just one thing : there were SO MANY women victim of this, how come the staff and other actors were not aware of his behaviour ? They just stayed silent ?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just one thing : there were SO MANY women victim of this, how come the staff and other actors were not aware of his behaviour ? They just stayed silent ?

My guess is they were "just rumors". He's a "good guy". Just people looking for "attention".

We know how this stuff stays quiet for so long. It's what makes it so hard for people to come forward.

Oct 25, 2017
The one time we get a fellow brown dude in Sci-fi who isn't another doctor/mathematician type and he turns out to be an abuser.

Scary how well he hid behind being seemingly a good dude behind the revival campaign

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Cailin Munroe tweeted she wasn't surprised and that he did something like that to someone she knew. She worked on some of the VFX in the 1st season, and her dad was the main VFX supervisor on the show while it was at SyFy.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that Bobbie and Alex are from Mars but they have such different accents. Bringing in a NZ/Samoan actor to replace Alex would fit in with Bobby. Just make the Alex parts for the new guy. They created a hybrid character from the books with Drummer and did a fantastic job.

I also had no idea both Arjuns were Israeli.
They have diff accents because their families come from that part of earth.

Alex is suppose to have a thick Texan accent even in the books. Same for Bobbi.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The one time we get a fellow brown dude in Sci-fi who isn't another doctor/mathematician type and he turns out to be an abuser.

Scary how well he hid behind being seemingly a good dude behind the revival campaign
It's a good thing that the character himself is suppose to be brown, so he's gonna get replaced by another brown dude.

Oct 29, 2017
Well fuck. It seems pretty likely that this is true. What a peice of shit. And goddamnit, I seriously hate major recasts like this.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
They have diff accents because their families come from that part of earth.

Alex is suppose to have a thick Texan accent even in the books. Same for Bobbi.

I remember that from the books, but they don't need to keep it if they are going to create a new character.

The Clarissa Mao idea could totally work. They would have to adjust her story though.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
After seeing some of these tweets, he really is quite the scumbag. Based on what I have seen I would say his harassment is more general in nature than sexual, but it really doesn't matter. I can't imagine anyone involved in the production of the show really wants him to stay involved.

Gotta love the standard "innocent till proven guilty" argument, as if he is on trial here.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that from the books, but they don't need to keep it if they are going to create a new character.

The Clarissa Mao idea could totally work. They would have to adjust her story though.

And really

So much shit goes down in Books 5 and 6, and with the way the crew is largely separated, there's a lot of opportunities to kill him off/replace him

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
should just write him out of season 6 tbh.

and replace him when they do the 30 year time jump.