Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Is the reason why you dropped the book because
the story becomes about Laconia taking over rather than being about the mysteries of the ringbuilders?
I don't even know about Laconia, I dropped the books after book 5, which was a welcome focus on the characters and inter factional struggles than the alien narrative which I felt was going nowhere in book 4, wich is why I didn't trust the authors to come up with something interesting in that regard. I wonder if pulled that off by now. I read the wiki plot preludes which are very broad but I read about a 30 year gap and some dude who founded an empire which might make things interesting.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know about Laconia, I dropped the books after book 5, which was a welcome focus on the characters and inter factional struggles than the alien narrative which I felt was going nowhere in book 4, wich is why I didn't trust the authors to come up with something interesting in that regard. I wonder if pulled that off by now. I read the wiki plot preludes which are very broad but I read about a 30 year gap and some dude who founded an empire which might make things interesting.
Oh then you should pick up the books because that's basically what the story becomes about. Laconia is the system introduced at the end of book 5 where all the secessionists are escaping to, that's what becomes the empire. The alien stuff gets dialled down considerably and apparently goes nowhere, which is what disappoints me lol.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Oh then you should pick up the books because that's basically what the story becomes about. Laconia is the system introduced at the end of book 5 where all the secessionists are escaping to, that's what becomes the empire. The alien stuff gets dialled down considerably and apparently goes nowhere, which is what disappoints me lol.
I think I want the same things like you, it's just a bit complicated.
while I DID welcome the focus on characters in book 5 I actually wanted the larger alien narrative to be more interesting, which is why I dropped the books, because book 4 was poor and book 5 had nothing in that regard. and while I think book 5 was great, of course I want the alien narrative to move forward and be interesting, I just didn't trust the authors to pull it off. and if I understand you correctly what hasn't happened, yet?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have you read book 8?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
while I DID welcome the focus on characters in book 5 I actually wanted the larger alien narrative to be more interesting, which is why I dropped the books, because book 4 was poor and book 5 had nothing in that regard. and while I think book 5 was great, of course I want the alien narrative to move forward and be interesting, I just didn't trust the authors to pull it off. and if I understand you correctly what hasn't happened, yet?
Yes atleast so far it hasn't happened, I'm in book 6.
The thing that annoys me is that I was perfectly happy with faction politics and human conspiracies with a touch of alien stuff like protomolecule macguffin thrown in, and I'd have been happy if the whole series was about that and ended in 5-6 books. But when they introduce investigator and start talking about "what happened to the builders?", "who killed the builders?", "are these two ancient entities still around?", show large unexplained builder structures that no one can comprehend, then I expect some sort of payoff and meaningful resolution there etc. You can still open up the universe to all these planets and have it only be about humans provided you don't raise those questions specifically in story.

But from what I understand book 4-6 is buildup and formation of Empire and book 7-9 are about something else (maybe a revolution and insurgency against the empire?). It'd have been nice if 4-6 were sped up with empire stuff happening early in book 5 (4 is too draggy so it can be condensed considerably, and 6 is about beginning of a revolution. Then you can resolve the insurgency (if that's what the later books are about) in book 7 & half of book 8 and give a payoff for the alien stuff in later half of book 8 and book 9.

Regardless, I'm hoping for something but not really expecting much on the alien stuff. Let's wait and see.

Have you read book 8?
Nah

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that we get to see Bobby grow and have more layers of depth to her. Amos also grew a lot. He has a lot of respect for Holden now. Just when the show was getting into to gear, it ends.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The widescreen Ilus scenes were obviously filmed with a better camera, additionally it seems they did outdoor location shoots this time around. They've never done that before, the also never showed Martian cities from outside before.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Only iffy thing was the landing area. Shots from space were amazing, and all the computer hologram stuff was a big improvement.

I thought some shots from the settlement were also only ok. And I'm not saying the CGI was bad, just that it is as good as it was on previous seasons. Take, for example, the reactor explosion from episode 6. It wasn't better than Eros striking Venus in season 2. Some shots from Ilus weren't that good, but the shots from episode 9 when the roman tech start to wake up were incredible.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of folks also streamed the first few seasons off of syfy.com, like myself, at 1080i or some crap like that and are now watching it in 4k HDR via a native TV app. That alone will make it look like a bigger budget just because it looks better lol.

I think the grand sweeping shots of the landscape are just something we haven't had before and it really reminds me of bigger budget production. Everything has always been so claustrophobic making it feel like tiny sets re-used over and over and here we have folks traveling across a planet. Just the openness makes it feel bigger budget.

So even if the budgets are similar to the past, it just feels bigger.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I thought some shots from the settlement were also only ok. And I'm not saying the CGI was bad, just that it is as good as it was on previous seasons. Take, for example, the reactor explosion from episode 6. It wasn't better than Eros striking Venus in season 2. Some shots from Ilus weren't that good, but the shots from episode 9 when the roman tech start to wake up were incredible.
They already had good CG, it was just very small scale. Confided rooms, everything in close up to avoid showing too much detail, almost no outdoor shoots (the little we saw were all corridors or small sets). This season they don't hold back on the scale and likely have actual location shoots. That's where the budget comes I think.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
A lot of folks also streamed the first few seasons off of syfy.com, like myself, at 1080i or some crap like that and are now watching it in 4k HDR via a native TV app. That alone will make it look like a bigger budget just because it looks better lol.

I think the grand sweeping shots of the landscape are just something we haven't had before and it really reminds me of bigger budget production. Everything has always been so claustrophobic making it feel like tiny sets re-used over and over and here we have folks traveling across a planet. Just the openness makes it feel bigger budget.

So even if the budgets are similar to the past, it just feels bigger.
They already had good CG, it was just very small scale. Confided rooms, everything in close up to avoid showing too much detail, almost no outdoor shoots (the little we saw were all corridors or small sets). This season they don't hold back on the scale and likely have actual location shoots. That's where the budget comes I think.

Those are good points. But when it comes to things that we can actually can compare, I'd say they are roughly equivalent. Say, the interior of Mars and the interior of Ceres.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Those are good points. But when it comes to things that we can actually can compare, I'd say they are roughly equivalent. Say, the interior of Mars and the interior of Ceres.

Remember that CGI sparrow on Ceres? Now think of the CGI stuff they have going on when walking around Mars. A bunch of stuff is going to be similar, sure, but there are more touch ups, extra effects, and possible scenarios due to the increased budget. Like the sets will be similar, sure. But then you get more outdoor and spacious areas.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea ofc, the actual CGI itself is roughly on par but the scope is large, except for the landing in first episode which is hilariously off and shaded/lit all wrong. Thankfully this is the only instance in the whole season where it looks bad. The interesting thing is that this scene was in the first trailer as well, released earlier this year so that means it was one of the first VFX shots to be done, so it's odd that it was unfinished still.

X3Rqg7l.png

7HpDk9q.png

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who even cares, its a single shot from the first episode where the rest of the season looks pretty great.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Remember that CGI sparrow on Ceres? Now think of the CGI stuff they have going on when walking around Mars. A bunch of stuff is going to be similar, sure, but there are more touch ups, extra effects, and possible scenarios due to the increased budget. Like the sets will be similar, sure. But then you get more outdoor and spacious areas.

You might be right. But more CGI is not the same of better CGI. So even if Amazon's money allowed for shots that wouldn't be possible before, the ones that were possible are as good as anything this season. Although, of course, there was bad CGI before too.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
There it is, yeah, the landing looks like George Lucas did it.
The thing is, it should be an easy enough fix. The biggest problem is that the whole ship, especially the ramp, has no contact shadows. A smaller issue is that the characters are lit too brightly compared to the sky, so dimming the lighting on the characters and then giving them an AO pass should make it better. It should be something that a single person should be able to do in like no time, but it was probably overlooked and by the time it got noticed it was probably too late to make any changes.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
The poster who replied to you hasn't read books 7&8. My personal take on the issues you have, trying to stay vague:
Book 6 concludes the factional drama of book 5, and establishes a new status quo which ensues for the 30 year time skip. However, a new wrinkle in the aliens story is introduced, tying a phenomena present during gate transit to whatever killed the gate builders.
Book 7 takes place when the long peace and process of expansion to the 1300 worlds finally breaks, with the factional drama re-igniting with new alliances and players. The alien story is more in the background, but there is a creeping dread because it is revealed that whatever killed the gate builders is still around, and humanity in its reckless expansion and appropriation of alien tech that they don't understand might have just poked god in the eye.
Book 8 continues the factional drama, and the hubris of one faction makes understanding what happened to the gate builders and what killed them seem increasingly essential to the survival of humanity.
Book 9 will likely deal with whether humanity in its current form can survive the onslaught of the angry god that they have provoked. I personally don't think so. I think the gate network will be destroyed, and humanity will be stranded and isolated in systems across the galaxy. I am just worried that our heroes won't all be in the same system when the gates come down.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The poster who replied to you hasn't read books 7&8. My personal take on the issues you have, trying to stay vague:
Book 6 concludes the factional drama of book 5, and establishes a new status quo which ensues for the 30 year time skip. However, a new wrinkle in the aliens story is introduced, tying a phenomena present during gate transit to whatever killed the gate builders.
Book 7 takes place when the long peace and process of expansion to the 1300 worlds finally breaks, with the factional drama re-igniting with new alliances and players. The alien story is more in the background, but there is a creeping dread because it is revealed that whatever killed the gate builders is still around, and humanity in its reckless expansion and appropriation of alien tech that they don't understand might have just poked god in the eye.
Book 8 continues the factional drama, and the hubris of one faction makes understanding what happened to the gate builders and what killed them seem increasingly essential to the survival of humanity.
Book 9 is called Tiamat's wrath. Tiamat is a primordial goddess of chaos and creation, and is often depicted as a dragon (and is also an endgame-difficulty dragon/demon in D&D). This suggests to me that the finale will deal with whether humanity can survive the onslaught of the angry god that they have provoked. I personally don't think so. I think the gate network will be destroyed, and humanity will be stranded and isolated in systems across the galaxy. I am just worried that our heroes won't all be in the same system when the gates come down.

Funny, I have the opposite feeling:

I predict a very happy ending for The Expanse, with the Goth threat dealt for good and the ring gates safe and sound. And I don't think it will be even that hard to kill them.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just finished everything. Holy fucking shit was that good, I'm shaking. Thank fucking god that Amazon saved the show. A year is going to be a long time to wait for the next season

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Funny, I have the opposite feeling:

I predict a very happy ending for The Expanse, with the Goth threat dealt for good and the ring gates safe and sound. And I don't think it will be even that hard to kill them.

I actually hope so too. Too many epic and escapist series feel like they end on a downer note just to be edgy or 'deep'. It would certainly make the TV show a pleasure to rewatch! I am still thinking that the gates go down however, or at least the Sol system is isolated.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Book 9 is called Tiamat's wrath. Tiamat is a primordial goddess of chaos and creation, and is often depicted as a dragon (and is also an endgame-difficulty dragon/demon in D&D). This suggests to me that the finale will deal with whether humanity can survive the onslaught of the angry god that they have provoked. I personally don't think so. I think the gate network will be destroyed, and humanity will be stranded and isolated in systems across the galaxy. I am just worried that our heroes won't all be in the same system when the gates come down.

You mixed up the book 9 name. That's the name of book 8!

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it, loved it. Definitely not the best season, but the way this show builds up the momentum and manage to always have intense scenes that makes me sit at the edge of my seat will always be impressive to me.

Was this the last time we'll hear from Miller? I'm going to miss him since Thomas Jane was the reason I started watching this show.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Up to episode 7.

One criticism: for a series based on hard science (aside from the protomolecule stuff) they keep forgetting the delay in communications. Faster than light com?

Like Avasarala war room on Earth watching the boarding of the belter ship live when it was inside the Belt. Even if the ship was near, there should be minutes of delay. Several other times the show did that this season, like when Holden's message only took 6 hours from Ilos to Earth (even considering the Ring relay system, the distance from Ilus to its system gate and Sol Gate to Earth should cause a bigger delay).

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I'll fix it. I was so sure that I remembered them announcing the title for the last book, and I just thought 'yeah, I know what the most recent book title in the series is! 😜'

Turns out I need to do a re-read!

Just started re-listening to the audio books after I finished season 4. Have to kill time somehow between now and season 5 so might as well go over some of the details I've probably forgotten lol.

Up to episode 7.

One criticism: for a series based on hard science (aside from the protomolecule stuff) they keep forgetting the delay in communications. Faster than light com?

Like Avasarala war room on Earth watching the boarding of the belter ship live when it was inside the Belt. Even if the ship was near, there should be minutes of delay. Several other times the show did that this season, like when Holden's message only took 6 hours from Ilos to Earth.

6 hours seems reasonable. The data goes through the gates too.

Oct 25, 2017
Several other times the show did that this season, like when Holden's message only took 6 hours from Ilos to Earth (even considering the Ring relay system, the distance from Ilus to its system gate and Sol Gate to Earth should cause a bigger delay).

The gate is just past Uranus distance-wise, no? So its like 3 hours give or take to the gate, double that, seems reasonable.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
6 hours seems reasonable. The data goes through the gates too.

The gate is just past Uranus distance-wise, no? So its like 3 hours give or take to the gate, double that, seems reasonable.

I was doing the wrong calculations in my mind, and yes you are right, 3 hours to cross each system seems right.

But nothing excuses the real time video Avasarala's room was seeing in episode 7. And the comm to the UN ship.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished ep 6 and I am loving it. I hope the ringtech and what's behind it will always be part of the series. I love the characters, too, but don't make the setting arbitrary. I love good science fiction.