• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
  • August 29th: Miranda Baker And Boyfriend Pick Up Brian At Colter Bay Village Outside Of Showers At Grand Teton National Park And Drop Him Off Near Parking Lot At Jackson Lake Dam
  • August 30th: Last Known Text From Gabby's Phone: "No Service In Yosemite"; Mother Thinks It Wasn't Gabby
  • September 1st: Gabby's Van Spotted Back At Brian's Home In Florida
This is the really weird part of the timeline. He tries hitchhiking out, then doubled back and hauled ass non-stop in the van to Florida? Not impossible but seems...odd, even in a sea of oddness.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Wait if that was her legal residence why didn't cops issue a search warrant sooner when a missing persons case was filed?

Also I think this case has generated a lot of interest at least on era because of the crazy defense force that showed up early on, it kinda reminds me of the insane defenses that came out when Trayvon Martin was killed and people were coming out the woodwork early to defend his killer. People got emotionally invested in their positions and now they want to see this through.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
As far as the police investigation, they had to be very careful in approaching the family and tracking Brian. Evidence obtained could be tainted if found to be
Imagine if Brian gets away and hides sucessfully. Can charges still be brought against his parents? Imagine his parents being locked up for protecting him-and he gets away. Imagine knowing your parents are in jail for protecting you.
He was not a criminal suspect until the body was found or evidence that showed he committed the crime is found. So unless there is an admission or evidence the parents knew of a crime, they could argue that they were not helping a suspect, especially since Brian supposedly had already left their house.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait if that was her legal residence why didn't cops issue a search warrant sooner when a missing persons case was filed?

Also I think this case has generated a lot of interest at least on era because of the crazy defense force that showed up early on, it kinda reminds me of the insane defenses that came out when Trayvon Martin was killed and people were coming out the woodwork early to defend his killer. People got emotionally invested in their positions and now they want to see this through.
Yeah this too. All those wacky theories just trying to explain away everything suspicious about this creep.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the footage on my PC monitor but everyone else agree here?

The person who downloaded the 1.9gb(?) video said its clearly the door closing. I would only believe those who have this video and seen on a big display. So not go by a mobile phone.

Seeing it on a PC monitor in 4k doesn't really make it any clearer. It could be just the black ladder's aliasing into what would seem like a slightly open door. It's too far to tell really.

Oct 27, 2017
If he was at their house, I want to know how he drove his car from the property without the media standing right there not seeing it. Seems like the house he was living at would be where the car was parked.

May 14, 2021
Uh... is there a confirmed sighting that he was ever at his parent's house? The van certainly showed up, but did he? He was supposedly at the house and snuck out past all the media - somehow.
The whole thing is so bizarre.
The reporter who had been camped outside of the house for over a week said he didn't think any of them had actually been there for some time.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the really weird part of the timeline. He tries hitchhiking out, then doubled back and hauled ass non-stop in the van to Florida? Not impossible but seems...odd, even in a sea of oddness.

Well nothing he's done so far is "normal"

and i wouldn't be shocked if he was freaking the fuck out and didn't know what he was doing. Like in that moment he probably thought hitchhiking was the best case for him.
Then freaked out and wanted to get back to the van for whatever reason.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
This case reminds me a lot of the Josh/Susan Powell case in Utah a while back. Wife goes missing, husband acts suspicious and won't cooperate, they call him a "person of interest" but also just let him leave the state, he runs away to Washington, ultimately ends up killing himself and his two children in a fire.

Not sure why the cops don't take these cases more seriously and let the "person if interest" run free. Makes no sense to me.

Because persons of interest have constitional rights and can't simply be held by police on suspicion

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
if he drove the van back home, i imagine traffic cameras would have caught him at some point eh? or cameras at gas stations & etc? he would have needed to refill somewhere along the way

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Seeing it on a PC monitor in 4k doesn't really make it any clearer. It could be just the black ladder's aliasing into what would seem like a slightly open door. It's too far to tell really.
I will need to look at it again but to my eyes their is a "motion of a door closing" and don't think the latter's outline would do it. Not saying you are wrong so guess we will never know. Just makes it super creepy if Brian was in there at that moment.

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't seen the footage on my PC monitor but everyone else agree here?

The person who downloaded the 1.9gb(?) video said its clearly the door closing. I would only believe those who have this video and seen on a big display. So not go by a mobile phone.
I'm looking at it on my PC monitor. It's a blurred black line that is there, then snaps out of existence while a fleck of dirt on the windshield is wobbling around in front of it. When the black line disappears, there is no black line visible - there should be, because there is a black ladder on the back of the van.

In fact, I went over it frame by frame and what I think is happening is that the blurred black line is being occluded by the tree. You just don't see the transition cleanly because of the fleck of dirt wobbling around in front of it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Autopsy will be occurring tomorrow (not sure if this is news tbh. I thought it was happening today but could just be misinformed)

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Thoughts and well wishes to Gabby's family.

Again to reiterate, you don't come home without your partner and lawyer up without having done something to your partner. It was clear as day. Yes we all know don't talk to the Police but not when it involves a missing persons case. Just sad that she died for seemingly no reason.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The cops failed her 100%, like they do many other victims of dv. They were to busy comparing the "hysterical women" in their lives, and siding with him.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Doesn't surprise me. She was shaken up on that bodycam footage in a way that went beyond any standard argument and cites him grabbing her by the face. From the emotional abuse of him disparaging her work efforts to the physical violence it seems she was trapped under his abuse for awhile.

People actually defended him palming her face and pushing her out of the van because he had scratch marks and she had no visible injuries or marks but i digress.

Worth noting she was blaming herself the entire video. Something fairly common with abuse victims, they blame themselves for everything all the time.

She was protecting him there.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
People actually defended him palming her face and pushing her out of the van because he had scratch marks and she had no visible injuries or marks but i digress.

Worth noting she was blaming herself the entire video. Something fairly common with abuse victims, they blame themselves for everything all the time.

.......fucking WHAT?! Was that on Era?!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I wonder how that cop that pulled over Brian and Gabby that day must feel like. It was good they were separated for the remainder of the day but it would have been good of somehow Gabby split and went to see her friend instead. (Something about them having plans but Gabby bailed last minute likely due to Brian) Damn.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Disgusting, but unsurprising at this point.

True on the abuse front, there are a number of hallmarks. I imagine a lot of her being shaken up was also in worrying about what would come down the line from him for them having been questioned by the police, and that feeling of being trapped.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
.......fucking WHAT?! Was that on Era?!

My bad, i didn't mean to derail. And we've already seen quite a few thread locks already. Because of that i won't answer you directly and will ask you to read between the lines.

But this to me seemed like it blatantly in our faces the whole time. It just never sat well with me how much "benefit of the doubt" this guy received during all this. And now he's gone and no one knows where he is.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
That's a 36 hour drive, if you're going non-stop.

There's 31 days in August so he didn't even have to "haul ass". I believe the people who spotted the van said the last day they saw it was the 29th. So if he left late on the 29th that gives him at least 60+ hours to drive 36 hours worth and get to Florida by afternoon. So enough time to even sleep 8 hrs each day with additional stops.

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I wonder how that cop that pulled over Brian and Gabby that day must feel like. It was good they were separated for the remainder of the day but it would have been good of somehow Gabby split and went to see her friend instead. (Something about them having plans but Gabby bailed last minute likely due to Brian) Damn.
I wish their was a law that required the family of the people involved to be automatically contacted after a dv incident.

OP
OP
Ulbrick

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
I have no idea if this is related however there have been sightings of him (Brian) in Alabama.

mynbc15.com

Body found near Tillman's Corner Walmart

A speculation firestorm swept through Mobile Monday sparked by rumored sightings of the subject of a nationwide search. Authorities are trying to find Brian Laundrie, a person of interest in the disappearance of his fiancée Gabby Petito. Since Friday rumors have been flying that he'd been seen...

Will delete if not related, and add to the OP if it is.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
User threadbanned: hostility, toxic metacommentary and derailment
Wonder what kind of nonsense the lawyer will say tomorrow.
Yes, some even going as far as to say they would cover for their kids even if they committed murder. Some sick weirdos on this site.

Gets even worse, someone said on this very site they wouldn't turn in their own kid short of them being an active terrorist, so the litany of depraved sick crimes someone might commit if they aint a terrorist a ok in their books, and ever so slightly pivoted to say that they would then give them 'a few days head start' and then tell the family. Not even doing the basic decent step to inform the police, as if the millimetre change is somehow fucking ok.

Fucking sickos on this site.

This site is becoming a lost cause, if not already has moved over to being one.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's best to not dredge up misguided comments/speculation/theorizing from the previous threads. Let's try to keep this thread open.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I hope the cop doesn't beat himself up too much about it. There was only so much he could do unless she specifically asked them to. His hands were tied even if he had his suspicions on what was really going on. He also had no way of knowing that the situation he encountered there would turn out this way.

But it's all hindsight. Everything looks easy and obvious in the rearview mirror.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Honestly I hope the cop doesn't beat himself up too much about it. There was only so much he could do unless she specifically asked them to. His hands were tied even if he had his suspicions on what was really going on. He also had no way of knowing that the situation he encountered there would turn out this way.

But it's all hindsight. Everything looks easy and obvious in the rearview mirror.
Wasn't the cop saying she could spend the night in jail because it was a domestic dispute. Fucked up to say but she would have been safer jail. Probably would have called her parents. None of this would have happened (i imagine)

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Honestly, I imagine shock at the actual event is what led him to making such odd decisions. I can imagine a scenario where he was in such shock at both his actions and that he lost her that he tried hitchhiking away from the van, only to remember that any evidence pointing to him is right where the van is, so he doubled back and drove away.

The real question I have now is was he in communication with anyone on the way home. I highly doubt he didn't call his parents to inform them he was heading back. Something tells me they know far more than they are letting on.