• Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look, accusations of bias by folks salty over Death Stranding.

You hate to see the sheer stupidity of it spread, but alas, it will only ramp up from here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The DS salt from people who were never interested in the game. Odd not to include FE(haven't played but heard good things mostly)/Disco/Wilds in the overall nomination over Outer Worlds but whatever, game awards are always about higher profile stuff unfortunately.

I actually forgot Slay the Spire came out this year. Could have sworn it was last year at least on PC.

Sekiro is my GOTY and should win easily though but RE2 is probably the other main contender.

I hope Control wins some awards but narrative is definitely going to Disco I think.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Smash Bros Ultimate should get GOTY and Disco Elysium should be on the GOTY list.

Other than that, nice to see some unexpected recognition to Ring Fit Adventure.

woinf

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Everyone complaining about Death Stranding but Control is way more mediocre and boring

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait, Fire Emblem is not up for consideration as game of the year? That's peculiar. Guess I'll have to abstain from voting for that category.

These really are the Death Stranding awards, aren't they? Has any game ever gotten more nominations than Death Stranding has in TGA?

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People getting angry about Death Stranding getting all these nominations just don't understand that it flies higher than all of the titles that didn't get nominated in those categories.
kojima-and-duck.jpg

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't take much to do a good game story. I don't expect The Last Of Us out of every title. I mean, my favorite story in a game this year is Travis Strikes Again.

DMC5's narrative was extremely undercooked and left me dissatisfied. I also didn't care much for the music either if I'm being honest. Also I said the combat was the only good thing, that doesn't mean the entirety of the game play was good. The pacing was mundane and level design was extremely mediocre.
Well, first of all youre speaking as if it was fact and I diasgree with how bad the story/pacing/level design were. I thought they were done just well enough to stay out of the way and let you enjoy the spectacular combat. And second, different aspects weigh differently, since the story wasnt a big focus I didnt really care if it was just ok, the game put its combat front and center and it nailed it. Overall its definitely one the most enjoyable experiences of the year for me and lots of other people, seeing as its even rated higher than a lot of the goty nominees.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also forgot that these awards are voted on by fans so there's no way a game like Control wins since it did not receive a lot of attention.

DS probably wins by popular vote

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I game for exactly 30 years.

Death standing was the most overwhelming experience I ever had.

OOT, BOTW and Odyssey came close. But DS took the crown.

Nominations are well deserved.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Huh, you would thought that Geoff might see that having Death Stranding as a nominee would be confliction of interest. Since you know he is in the game and also helped plug the game on his show for his 'friend'.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the game, and it is a game released in 2019, but it would have been better not to include it.

Spooksy

Oct 28, 2017
wait... are the people saying DS got its nominations because Geoff hosts the show not joking?

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Never expected Gears 5 to be there, but no Fire Emblem is some bullshit, easily one of the best games of the generation.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding is perfectly legit to be in the running. It has the most 10/10s of any game this year, and 36 of 90% or more. It is a divisive game, but I don't see that is a point against it in this context. If anything, some of the other nominees are pretty safe.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look, accusations of bias by folks salty over Death Stranding.

You hate to see the sheer stupidity of it spread, but alas, it will do so.
I mean allegations are fair when the guy in charge of the show is in the game. It doesn't mean that the game isn't good, just that any awards it gets will inherently be suspect

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding and Sekiro are going to be last year RDR2 and GoW isn't it.
Haven't played any of them. Sekiro is too difficult for this old man and Death Stranding is a waste of my precious time. I've skipped through play-throughs for both though. Not my type of games at all.

And The Outer Worlds, my pick, don't have a chance.

This GOTY award is seriously a snoozefest for me. :/

Glad to see GRIS get some nominations though! I loved it. But I can feel that it'll be robbed..

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I also need the audience to heckle the announcement of the GOTY for Death Stranding like they did Fallout 4. That would complete my Bingo card of a fun time completed.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my post is really poorly worded as I've seen people respond with this a lot. Even if the games are produced in Japan, they're mostly designed for the western market and the western taste. Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro are what comes to mind when I think about it

But anyway I'm just gonna stop replying as I'm not enjoying getting dogpiled
Sekiro, res evil, and death stranding are western pandering? The first two are sone of the gamiest games a third person game can be, and death stranding is goofy kojima wonk. Meanwhile days gone, a completely western tps is nominated for nothing.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That may be true, but I would think that it would be unprecedented for a game to win GOTY with the negative review metrics associated with it too. But it obviously has a great chance to win a bunch of things including GOTY.
There's no authorship on the winner, it comes down to votes. A game with 3/4 of reviews being 9s or 10s regardless of what the other 1/4 say is going to command more GOTY votes than a game that does 8.5 across the board.

I was ready to be disappointed by Death Stranding based of the metacritic, and for a few hours I kinda was, but it's turned into my GOTY.

woinf

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Games that deserved the nomination: Sekrio, RE2, Ultimate

Games that are a little divisive but aren't awful picks: Outer Worlds, Death Stranding

Why is this game nominated for anything: Control