• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
According to a senior developer, all work has ceased on World of Warcraft thanks to the Activision Blizzard lawsuit.

Last week, news broke that the State of California was suing Activision Blizzard for what it called a "pervasive frat boy workplace culture" where female staff were often subject to harassment. The lawsuit included disturbing descriptions of male employee behavior that included micromanagement, naked photos of a female employee being shared at a holiday party, and "cube crawls", where male staff would drink "copious amounts of alcohol as they crawl their way through various cubicles in the office and often engage in inappropriate behavior toward female employees."

The news was so shocking and disturbing that many Activision Blizzard employees took to Twitter to share their stories. One of them was World of Warcraft senior system designer Jeff Hamilton, who admitted that work has essentially ceased on the game because of the emotional turmoil the lawsuit has inflicted on his team.

"I don't know what to do. I don't have all the answers," wrote Hamiltonon Twitter. "I can tell you, almost no work is being done on World of Warcraft right now while this obscenity plays out. And that benefits nobody - not the players, not the developers, not the shareholders."

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the people responsible for these horrors are very afraid.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the people responsible for these horrors are very afraid.
They in the office like
tumblr_pd12zhIw0Z1vhdq1jo4_r1_540.gifv

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck at that article? The way it's phrased makes it sound like Jeff Hamilton is a corporate apologist, completely leaving out the context of the first tweet. The way the article is written makes it sound like "Lawsuit? No new World of Warcraft for you because we're all deeply upset, so very upset at being sued."

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine morale is so low right now that no one can work. how do you have a creative process when you have this horrible shit that happened during development of the game. It's impossible.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are we allowed to have a thread discussing peoples opinions on if Era should ban discussion of Activision-Blizzard games yet? Mine was immediately locked as a 'reaction thread' like suicide and rape is equivalent to a game getting announced at E3.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Specifically on this expansion of WoW holy fuck all this is not good. 9.1 took fuckin forever to come and FF14 took their lunch in the mean time. How long until 9.2? Gonna be a botched as fuck expansion and honestly it's on Acti/Blizz for allowing all the bullshit to fester and harm these talented people. I wouldn't want to get shit down either.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I thought that often, if someone dies during a creative project they are memorialised in some way.

This is Acti-Blizzard's monument. A monumental 'fuck you' to anyone with a moral compass.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Are we allowed to have a thread discussing peoples opinions on if Era should ban discussion of Activision-Blizzard games yet? Mine was immediately locked as a 'reaction thread' like suicide and rape is equivalent to a game getting announced at E3.

I still don't see how this is realistic unless you also ban other studios who have had the same issues. Ubisoft, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, etc. It's like half the industry would be off limits for discussion on a video game forum. With that said, they all probably deserve it so I wouldn't care.

As it relates to this topic, I'm glad they've stopped work. The corporate response was disgusting.

Oct 27, 2017
Honesty bring the whole company to a hault. Pause cod dev too. The only way these major companies will listen and actively try to be better sadly is if it affects their bottom line.

I do hope they keep paying their staff during these pauses.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
When abusers are left to run rampant, without accountability, eventually it comes back to haunt the organisations/churches/etc. Every single time. And good people who are trying to do honest work in those organisations suffer as a result.

I hope every company, suit, or shareholder in gaming is looking at this, and seeing the consequences first hand. It can get a hell of a lot worse and very quickly for them unless they get proactive on this shit. Imagine if enough people working on your AAA game walk out until things change, that can have staggering effects on the bottom line of so many companies.

Care for your employees, and you'll reap the rewards. Don't, and you'll eventually be left with ashes. No empire lasts forever.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hire sexual predators and overall immature/stupid executives and managers, give them all absurd salaries and buyouts, run company into ground and leave a blood trail in their wake, profit.

Its so unfair.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If they are not working in protest that is amazing. Workers need to realize they have all the power here if they all come together.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The article title ("Production on World of Warcraft has stopped") and the tweet ("almost no work is being done on World of Warcraft") don't match.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
What the fuck at that article? The way it's phrased makes it sound like Jeff Hamilton is a corporate apologist, completely leaving out the context of the first tweet. The way the article is written makes it sound like "Lawsuit? No new World of Warcraft for you because we're all deeply upset, so very upset at being sued."
It also says ALL work has ceased when the tweet didn't say that, and phrases it as if production has officially shut down. Misleading.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Won't someone think of the shareholders!
I mean the shareholders aren't necessarily happy with the culture at ActiBlizz because it's detrimental to the long term health of the employees, business, and production; like nobody likes Kotick's salary because it's a fucking black hole where the money could have gone into business growth, employee benefits, or dividends.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think that was included for the audience of people who do care about the shareholders: the executives who downplayed this. The execs don't give a shit about the people involved, clearly, but will care when shareholders stop making that money.
exactly. A senior systems designer probably doesn't care much about big wig shareholders. The point was like "hey, we're not making money because of your colossal fuck up, execs, and the people you're beholden to (shareholders) are going to be mad". So, should the execs actually make some changes or resign or whatever then the wheel can begin turning again.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the shareholders aren't necessarily happy with the culture at ActiBlizz because it's detrimental to the long term health of the employees, business, and production; like nobody likes Kotick's salary because it's a fucking black hole where the money could have gone into business growth, employee benefits, or dividends.

A shareholder meeting could also clean up the place faster then anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that last line made me raise an eyebrow...

You could read this two ways:

1) He loves shareholders
2) He is trying to push shareholders to make Activision do something other than w/e their shitty response has been thus far.

This is era so it must be #1 tho; not enough drama in #2 to entertain the thought.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
The article and the tweet don't line up.

That said, I will not be surprised if they eventually pull out a WoD again and just move everyone to work on 10.0, cutting Shadowlands short.

This of course after Activision-Blizzard sort this shit out. No developer is going to be productive when the abusers are still around, morale is rock bottom, and Fran "I love War Crimes" Townsend keeps putting out atrocious statements both internally and to the press.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that last line made me raise an eyebrow...

Unfortunately, the shareholders probably the most power to force change. If work can't be completed on games then the shareholders can't make money. If they become too displeased, they have the most potential to put pressure on Activision Blizzard leadership to make sweeping changes.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Why are people so focused on the shareholders bit? If this shit causes Blizzard to lose cash, they stand to lose a lot of money too. So they're going to demolish the executives, the ones who downplayed and ignored this shit. I don't think Hamilton is suggesting we should feel sorry for the shareholders over the real victims of this shitstorm. That's a stupid way to interpret what he said.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

1) He loves shareholders
2) He is trying to push shareholders to make Activision do something other than w/e their shitty response has been thus far.

This is era so it must be #1 tho; not enough drama in #2 to entertain the thought.

Unfortunately, the shareholders probably the most power to force change. If work can't be completed on games then the shareholders can't make money. If they become too displeased, they have the most potential to put pressure on Activision Blizzard leadership to make sweeping changes.
Yeah, let's hope that some changes for the better come out of their involvement. And I totally get that was the gist -- it just read funny to me in that particular context.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
The article and the tweet don't line up.

That said, I will not be surprised if they eventually pull out a WoD again and just move everyone to work on 10.0, cutting Shadowlands short.

This of course after Activision-Blizzard sort this shit out. No developer is going to be productive when the abusers are still around, morale is rock bottom, and Fran "I love War Crimes" Townsend keeps putting out atrocious statements both internally and to the press.
I can see the WoD scenario alright. Which did lead to Legion which was great. So here hoping they clear house and set themselves up for future success. I don't think people would mind a semi-reboot at this point to get the story grounded again and way from the cosmic stuff.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we'll see change if the bottom line is affected. I don't see Activision doing it for the right reasons unfortunately

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
The article is misleading and a shit excuse for "journalism." It's fine what Hamilton is saying but honestly, I have more belief someone like him will be fired for speaking up than all of these assholes committing atrocities in the work place.

1) He loves shareholders

It's the lack of thinking from some here.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
The comment about shareholders is just to illustrate that the lack of accountability is a self-destructive action for Activision to take, and a loss for literally every party. And yes, shareholders can apply pressure uniquely on their own. Trying to twist it as if that's the main party he's concerned about is totally unreasonable.

To be fair, it's a poorly written article that removed needed context to help people understand the quote better.

Anyone can click the tweet to see the entire thread.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

1) He loves shareholders

Yup, and I cannot fucking stand it.