rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry but this ain't it...

I'm sure many of the players that are complaining don't want to directly fund (through the subscription they're already bound to) their campaign to get away with sexual assault.

I sure wouldn't be.
How is players complaining the next patch taking too long to come out in the face of this got to do with players not want to support sexual assault? Complaing about waiting for a patch to drop does not equal support for women. That's completely taking the focus off the abuse, c'mon, I don't know what this thread is playing at pretending that there's not an awful lot of gamers that don't care if women are being abused or discriminated against. Quite a lot of them help with the abuse/discrimination thing in that women devs get more abuse online then their male counterparts.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry but this ain't it...

I'm sure many of the players that are complaining don't want to directly fund (through the subscription they're already bound to) their campaign to get away with sexual assault.

I sure wouldn't be.
yea lmao at people thinking thats a good tweet

if they would be fine on accepting partial refund on existing subs who wants out of this shithole then I would agree

but if they would just hostage money of subscribers hell no they create this problem by their own

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is players complaining the next patch taking too long to come out in the face of this got to do with players not want to support sexual assault? Complaing about waiting for a patch to drop does not equal support for women. That's completely taking the focus off the abuse, c'mon, I don't know what this thread is playing at pretending that there's not an awful lot of gamers that don't care if women are being abused or discriminated against. Quite a lot of them help with the abuse/discrimination thing in that women devs get more abuse online then their male counterparts.

My stance on this is, players are paying monthly for blizzard to make a game, they aren't playing for blizzard to deal with the fucked up situation they find themselves in because of the toxic workplace they created and nurtured for years.

If they're not working on the game and really REALLY want to fix stuff, open up subscription cancelations while they deal with this problem. I'm sure they have plenty of billions they can spare.

Note that yeah, I'm not defending people that don't give a fuck about this situation. But a senior producer coming here on his high horse to say this just rubs me the wrong way considering he would not be saying anything had none of this come to light through the lawsuit.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Good post and I do not disagree. This behavior should not be normal either. I remain unconvinced that he's in a position to talk about it (at this precise moment in time), but that's not to say that his point is wrong.

edit: to be honest though I must confess. I think it's a pretty charitable read of his post that suggests he's not thinking of Blizzard's toxic culture as part of "the problem" and that's what rubs me the wrong way.

honestly it rubs me the wrong way as well

I kind of hate the tweet, actually, and think "gamers complaining about how we're not making content because of our massive sexual harassment problem are themselves also part of the problem" has some very real "whomst among us is without sin" energy

like... the gaming community writ large, and the wow community more specifically (I was part of it, I can say this lol), have a huge toxicity problem. there's a huge sexual harassment problem. there's all kinds of problems. this problem isn't that. this problem is blizzard's workplace culture. this problem doesn't stem from like the fact that gaming in general fosters this kind of environment, but that blizzard entertainment fosters this kind of environment. people from blizzard coming out and scolding the internet for their Toxic Culture at this particular moment is just kind of comically tone-deaf, and honestly feels more like deflection than anything else

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

It's hard not to assume someone is part of the problem if their response to these underlying issues finally getting proper attention is to lament (among other things) the negative effect it will have on shareholders. Even if you're wringing your hands about players being inconvenienced, this is still pretty deep in "fuck off with that" territory, having read a lot of what is/was happening behind-the-scenes via the legal filings. If people's health, safety, and a non-predatory work environment are apparently taking a backseat to getting the next patch out, I'm going to make a lot of assumptions about your role in all this.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
My stance on this is, players are paying monthly for blizzard to make a game, they aren't playing for blizzard to deal with the fucked up situation they find themselves in because of the toxic workplace they created and nurtured for years.

If they're not working on the game and really REALLY want to fix stuff, open up subscription cancelations while they deal with this problem. I'm sure they have plenty of billions they can spare.

Note that yeah, I'm not defending people that don't give a fuck about this situation. But a senior producer coming here on his high horse to say this just rubs me the wrong way considering he would not be saying anything had none of this come to light through the lawsuit.
I really don't care if they aren't getting the content they are expecting cus workers can't work under the circumstances- cancel your sub or try and get a refund from blizzard (though you still have access to content). Fans can try and support the employees with some solidarity instead of making it about them and what they are getting. It's bullshit what they are doing and that guy is right to call them out on it. Sometimes things aren't about the gamer.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good , get fucked Activision- Blizzard. I hope boby kotick catch some flak . If he's taking absurd bonuses and taking credits when the company is doing well, then he should also burden the blame, it's a 2 way street .

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care if they aren't getting the content they are expecting cus workers can't work under the circumstances- cancel your sub or try and get a refund from blizzard (though you still have access to content). Fans can try and support the employees with some solidarity instead of making it about them and what they are getting. It's bullshit what they are doing and that guy is right to call them out on it. Sometimes things aren't about the gamer.

That some gamers are shit we already know. Don't know what the point is for a producer to talk about it on twitter when their company is being faced with a lawsuit for sexual misconduct. Just reads like shifting attention to another thing.

And look, it worked! We are here discussing what gAmers do instead of the main problem.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That some gamers are shit we already know. Don't know what the point is for a producer to talk about it on twitter when their company is being faced with a lawsuit for sexual misconduct. Just reads like shifting attention to another thing.

And look, it worked! We are here discussing what gAmers do instead of the main problem.
I think the point was similar to that point about shareholders. What's going on at ActiBlizz is disgusting, but it's sadly not unusual and a lot of that is because management clearly doesn't feel accountable to their employees. The only people who can hold studios like this accountable for their actions are customers and shareholders (and the State of California) and if gamers just care about the next patch and shareholders turn a blind eye as long as they're making money, there's no incentive for the broader studio culture to change. Gamers and Shareholders might not be directly responsible for this shit happening but they're very much part of a larger issue that lets it keep happening.