• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very good start to the season. I'm glad they dropped eboladrome (shitty "track"), the American, and celebrity brain crash. I think the segment intro clips are still reaaaallly unnecessary and a bit cringey, but that's like 20 seconds of the show, so whatever.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Very good start to the season. I'm glad they dropped eboladrome (shitty "track"), the American, and celebrity brain crash. I think the segment intro clips are still reaaaallly unnecessary and a bit cringey, but that's like 20 seconds of the show, so whatever.
I think I prefer the old track to this dirt-segment gimmick that Top Gear tried as well.

Didn't see what was wrong with the eboladrome, besides the tongue-in-cheek name.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I prefer the old track to this dirt-segment gimmick that Top Gear tried as well.

Didn't see what was wrong with the eboladrome, besides the tongue-in-cheek name.

I don't care about the new track since it seems to only be used for the celeb races. I didn't like the eboladrome primarily because everything about it was tryhard: the name, the american, the corner names. The configuration of it felt awkward as well, and honestly all of the shots made it look like it was literally a service road behind a bunch of abandoned warehouses. It gave it this really cheap. knock-off feel compared to the TGTT.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Getting as close to classic TG as possible is just how I want this show. I haven't seen any Top Gear eps since I think the Vietnam special and some other eps here and there to be honest though, but I know that whatever made TG special between these three are all here. The manly man schtick is gonna bite them in the ass in the long run though I fear. Personally I can't give two fucks if people criticise it as I can get why they act like that, but then again you can't please everyone.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
They still have the tent but they're staying in one place and not taking the show on the road due to various injuries and ailments.

Also Jeremy is lazy and essentially had it put in his back yard so he could walk to work.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
They still have the tent but they're staying in one place and not taking the show on the road due to various injuries and ailments.

Also Jeremy is lazy and essentially had it put in his back yard so he could walk to work.
Wait I thought it was a tent like studio with CG Windows, its actually a portable studio? Holy Fuck.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
This episode was mostly about cars which is a welcome change! Looked gorgeous too, didn't think the Fire stick could stream 4k

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Watched it just now, I thought it was closer to the Top Gear model they used to do, I would have liked to have seen more 'driving' though they seemed to spend a fair few minutes of screen-time driving back to the same town in a montage and also in the museums, that could have been better spent with more 'action' content, when you think how much they crammed into the 'big trips' they used to do in a shorter time (60mins), maybe they did have other things planed but were unable to do so because of the crash though.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The good things:

• 'Eboladrome' and its contrived naming schemes are gone, as is The American.
  • Celebrity Brain Crash is not only gone, but they openly admitted that it was rubbish.
  • The scenery, especially in HDR, is genuinely breathtaking. It is one of the very best demonstrations of both 4K and HDR.
  • More time spent driving their cars along with the grumpy old men banter; this feels closer to how the trio were during their time on Top Gear, and long may it continue.
  • Just a decent all-round episode with very little filler or fluff in-between. A perfect way to open the second series.
The bad things:

• Whilst the Celebrity Brain Crash is thankfully gone, the Celebrity Face Off lingers on for a few minutes too long. Here's hoping the next set of celebrities are comparable to those who appear on Top Gear several years ago.
  • Clarkson has always been sexist, but he mentions 'lady shaver' about half a dozen times too many. I'm sure he was very pleased with his 'joke' though. And let's not forget his hilarious comment about women eating salad leaves (!)
  • This is my biggest bugbear; Hammond nearly died in that car crash, and yet it was presented as a bit of a joke when they revealed their times during the hill climb race. Maybe it's just me being Mr. Sensitive, but I certainly did not expect that blank reaction...
All in all, apart from the bewildering non-reaction to Hammond's crash and the casual sexism from Clarkson, I very much enjoyed this weeks episode.

Let's hope next weeks episode doesn't sink to the level of that terrible second episode in the first series, where they attempt to become special force soldiers.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I love that they went back to their classic type celebrity race thing (a bit different I know). Also, I totally forgot I can watch this on my 4K tv instead of on my computer lol.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
  • This is my biggest bugbear; Hammond nearly died in that car crash, and yet it was presented as a bit of a joke when they revealed their times during the hill climb race. Maybe it's just me being Mr. Sensitive, but I certainly did not expect that blank reaction...

I thought it a bit odd at first as well, but thinking more about, it's also kind of exactly how they'd play something like that.

If he hadn't nearly died, they'd have rubbed it in and drawn out the joke MUCH longer, I think.

So I didn't have a problem at the end of the day.

Thought it was a pretty great start to the season overall.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First episode was great. Idk why I couldn't get my ps4 to display it in 4k though even though my video settings have that as the default. (or does the ps4 Amazon app not support 4k?)

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it - really great to have it back.

I don't mind the 'scripted' stuff because their chemistry has always made it seem believable.

Good to just have a solid hour (plus) of silly TV back.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Hmm... Feels like I've seen this episode before.

May and Clarkson look so old. lol
I guess that was what the episode was trying to highlight, but.... yikes

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a poor episode. Spent more time doing their fake scripted shit (Hammond looking for charge point, lambo not fitting through old streets,...) than with the cars. I can forgive this if it was a result of the crash, but they didn't show fuck all really about the cars. By the end of it I had absolutely no sense of what the new NSX was like. Pretty disappointed

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
I thought it was a poor episode. Spent more time doing their fake scripted shit (Hammond looking for charge point, lambo not fitting through old streets,...) than with the cars. I can forgive this if it was a result of the crash, but they didn't show fuck all really about the cars. By the end of it I had absolutely no sense of what the new NSX was like. Pretty disappointed

Did you ever watch the trio on Top Gear??? It's never been about the cars. Sure, they may quickly go through some of the cars selling points but people don't watch them for stats or features, they watch them for their banter and beautifully shot stories.

That's why they've been so successful, the ability to attract non car loving viewers.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever watch the trio on Top Gear??? It's never been about the cars. Sure, they may quickly go through some of the cars selling points but people don't watch them for stats or features, they watch them for their banter and beautifully shot stories.

That's why they've been so successful, the ability to attract non car loving viewers.
Yes, for years. You're wrong here. They used to at least go over the good and bad point of the cars to some degree. Nobody would watch this show just to see old farts complain

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I watch for them, not the cars. I've watched the entire run three times just this year. I literally run through all the seasons while I work and repeat.

It hasn't been about conclusive car reviews for a decade. Not on the whole.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, for years. You're wrong here. They used to at least go over the good and bad point of the cars to some degree. Nobody would watch this show just to see old farts complain

That's why most people watch this show, though. The trio's antics, silly challenges, road trips. There's only a very small percentage of people that can afford the cars they usually drive anyway. The people didn't start defending Clarkson after punching a guy just to get more supercar reviews. Regardless, there's always been episodes where the cars barely got any mention. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of road tests in this series too, like the previous one.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that the trio aren't even themselves anymore, just versions of themselves that are written by other writers. May is the nerd, Hammond is the obnoxious loud one, and Clarkson is the bloviating guy who doesn't believe in climate change. Also one of their cars gets stuck/breaks down/is sabotaged and the other two drive off without them.
None of it feels authentic anymore, and I kind of wish that they'd just let them drive their cars and explore some location without all the writing getting in the way. (God, I still remember how tedious that commando training episode from last year was)

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by how great that was! Felt like an old Top Gear episode. After the first season I was prepared to not be super into it but this was good all round. Even enjoyed the celebrity segment -- the new track is great. I hope they bring former race drivers in at some point because there's a ton of potential time out there; would love to see some real speed as opposed to... buses being parked (in Hasselhoff's case) (to be fair I assume it's because there was little-to-no coaching)

(God, I still remember how tedious that commando training episode from last year was)

Last year definitely felt like 'Amazon gave us a lot of money and oh god we have to spend it some how'

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to download the 4K video from Prime Video without an Apple TV or similar?

Wait, what? You can download Amazon Prime videos on an Apple TV?

What's more, if I go to download options in the amazon prime app on my iPhone, it mentions that the best quality takes 0,9 GB /h, while under streaming the best quality takes 5,8GB /h. So, apparently downloading movies probably isn't anywhere near 4K quality.

JordanDeGroot

Oct 25, 2017
Thought after giving up part way through series one because it was so bad this first episode was a big improvement. Still a little bit over scripted in the health farm sections but felt a lot more natural than the awful first series, some actual moments of just funny banter between the team and they've thankfully got rid of a lot of the awful stuff like the celebrity deaths. I think the new celebrity versus section will actually work okay most weeks, it just stalled a bit because the hoff looked a mix of confused and not really wanting to be there whenever they were trying to talk to him. They tried to go too fancy and go away from the original format in the first series (whever that was to seem like a new show or appeal to the american audience I don't know) but going back to basics and old top gear format should work okay if they stick to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
Watched it with hubby. I like the scenery and the stupid stunts but they're just arseholes. They seemed less obnoxious when they were on the Beeb but maybe it was just because they were mostly kept in check by their handlers or had better script writers. Now they're decrepit, bloated, pub bores spewing out the sort of tired sexist crap last heard when wife beating was popular.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is that the trio aren't even themselves anymore, just versions of themselves that are written by other writers. May is the nerd, Hammond is the obnoxious loud one, and Clarkson is the bloviating guy who doesn't believe in climate change. Also one of their cars gets stuck/breaks down/is sabotaged and the other two drive off without them.
None of it feels authentic anymore, and I kind of wish that they'd just let them drive their cars and explore some location without all the writing getting in the way. (God, I still remember how tedious that commando training episode from last year was)

I agree.

I almost feel like I watched a different episode from others in here. Each year seems more scripted than the last. Hell, in this episode you can literally see May mouthing out Hammond's line as he speaks.

This was not a good episode at all for me. The celebrity part was awful too, and The Hoff didn't even look like he wanted to be there.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first episode overall, but I agree that it was a bit boring at times.

The celebrity thing is way better than the "killing celebrities" joke from last season, but ran too long. The core idea of having two people race each other is pretty good though.

The supercar segment had good bits, but spent too much time making fun of electric cars and vegetables. As they always do.

Most of the edited intro clips are just meh, but I do like the Conversation Street silhouette jokes.

I don't think it's funny to treat Hammond's crash as an afterthought. Maybe they wanted to deviate from being nice to him about his rocket car crash, but the whole thing just fell flat to me.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Watched episode 1 last night.

It was just dull. The same tired shit that I've seen them do a hundred times now, with the same tired 'old man out of touch' humour that just isn't really funny anymore. I mean honestly, a joke about how "only women eat salad".

Haha?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Top Gear specials back in the day, but the shchtick is just boring at this point. I think maybe I'm done.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they were more heartfelt about Hammond's crash. Something more genuine and....human?
rather than playing it off for laughs

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I don't think it's funny to treat Hammond's crash as an afterthought. Maybe they wanted to deviate from being nice to him about his rocket car crash, but the whole thing just fell flat to me.

I wish they were more heartfelt about Hammond's crash. Something more genuine and... human, rather than playing it off for laughs.

The more I think about how both May and Clarkson were acting aloof and being completely dismissive of Hammond's crash, the more I grow to dislike the whole scenario.

If you look at the audience after they came back to the tent upon showing the crash, only half were able to muster themselves up to chuckle or clap to the results of the hill climb race.

I mean, would you like it if your friends and/or family did the same if they knew that you were mere seconds away from dying in a car crash?

CrayToes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that was one of my favourite parts of the episode. The look on Hammond's face was brilliant. If they treated every crash Richard got in to that seriously then every other episode would be depressing. My brother walked away from a very similar incident a few years ago and it's always been the source of a lot of jokes in my family. In those kind of situations you really need to focus on the lighter side of things and not get caught up on what could have been.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
In 2006, when Richard almost died the first time, he was left with severe depression and paranoia among other mental problems, according to him. He also asked the other presenters to never mention the accident again, and just pretend that nothing happened, after the episode that showed the crash.
It's entirely possible that Richard specifically didn't want to make a big deal out of the crash. Also, it's obivous that behind the scenes they care for eachother, so it's not like Clarkson just stormed into his hospital room and called him a blithering idiot. I was glad to see them have the ability to laugh it off and carry on.