• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's great they're doing specials still, but they had finally settled into the new format.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how the specials are going to work? Will it be a season of specials or like 1 every 4+ months?

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
While the specials are by far my favorite parts of TGT (and previously TG).... I will miss the car reviews and featurettes from the regular format. I can understand them being visibly upset at that aspect of what they do coming to an end, but from a viewer point of view we do have many things to look forward to in the new series and beyond.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was one emotional finale. The montage at the end really reminded me what an incredible fun TG/GT has been ever since I started watching it at 14yo. Here I am, 14 years later, still absolutely loving what Jezza, Hamster & Captian Slow are doing. Sad to see this format come to its end, but also really looking forward to the upcoming specials.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, that really got to me, too.

Loved that they got to show some of the Top Gear footage.

I can remember when the show first REALLY hooked me randomly watching it on BBC Canada and then I immediately binged the shit out of it on netflix and it was the greatest few months of TV watching I'd ever had. so vastly entertaining and hilarious.

I'm so immensely glad they'll be sticking around and filming specials and road trips, but as others have said it's still a bit of a shame since this season was perhaps the one where they really got the tent/audience stuff down perfectly.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was an emotional ending, I'm glad the BBC let them use the footage because now I want to go back and watch through it all again.

Can't wait to see what specials they can produce after this.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeremy is truly a useless gobshite in a survival situation. I'm surprised James hasn't killed him yet.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Loved seeing all the old TG cheap car challenges, i did miss that stuff. But the specials are all great too so looking forward to that. GTS3 has been great in all honesty.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Yeah, I was getting sad over that Ford funeral which was kind of a joke, but them announcing the end of the traditional show was pretty emotional.

I'll miss Conversation Street the most.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize Top Gear/Grand Tour was ending was we know it. Thought trips-only S4 would be a one-off but now it seems like it will be the last, period.

Thanks for the memories.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Kid in speckles during the finale with the blue car was someone I actually knew from sixth form. He's been sorting that car out for a while now. Real nice guy.

Metroid

Oct 27, 2017
I admit, I shed a tear. Seeing Jeremy tearing up was very unexpected and hit me like a truck somehow.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'll miss the tent, random documentaries, the track and conversation street. It all came together this season which makes it a shame we didn't get at least one more in that format. Really excellent season though, the special was amazing and the final episode was surprisingly emotional.
I wonder if it'll just be like, 2 specials a year going forward?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Going to miss conversation street and car reviews. I mean, once they got rid of the celebrity stuff, the tent stuff was great.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I watched the first half of the episode last night and finished it today. Even knowing they would be continue on, it was a bit emotional. I started watching them 15 years ago. The last montage was great. I love the big adventure stuff, but will miss some of the studio banter.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Man, that hit hard. I've grown up with these 3 so it's a kick to the gut. Fuck the Toyota Picnic too; guessing that started the crossover epidemic.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I teared when I saw Clarkson tearing up at the end. I got the Top Gear train late, but enjoyed it and followed them ever since. I look forward to their future endeavors.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was a really strange finale/goodbye. I mean, very sad, but strange since it isn't reaaally a finale of them working together, and they're still going to do it for 2+ more seasons?

Given that the most arduous aspects (specials/adventures) are going to continue so it's not just that they are too old, and they've already made the tent stationary to cut costs so it's not Amazon, I wonder why they're stopping the in-studio component and treating it like the end of their careers.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man, that was a really strange finale/goodbye. I mean, very sad, but strange since it isn't reaaally a finale of them working together, and they're still going to do it for 2+ more seasons?

Given that the most arduous aspects (specials/adventures) are going to continue so it's not just that they are too old, and they've already made the tent stationary to cut costs so it's not Amazon, I wonder why they're stopping the in-studio component and treating it like the end of their careers.

Jeremy said in an interview he got very emotional because it's the end of their studio stuff and the format that he basically invented 17 years ago, and he felt like he was saying goodbye to Top Gear as well as he never had the chance.

Even before the Top Gear contract thing Jeremy said he planned for them to do three more years with one final contract for TG then call it a day. They did that 3 years with Amazon instead, but I guess they've been persuaded to do a few more specials rather than stop entirely. They want to stop on their own terms though unlike at the BBC

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
What an ending. Thank you for the 16 years of great television lads.

Undeniably some of the greatest moments in television.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if this will give Clarkson the opportunity to do more untold WW2 stories like PQ17. He makes for a pretty good narrator in that form.

https://vimeo.com/95372252

Honestly after watch Toy Stories or James' NASA doc. I realized 2 things. He's my favorite presenter and I actually love when they do solo stuff. Their trio stuff is still good but nowhere near their Top Gear peaks. Watching old Jeremy Clarkson Car Years episodes is still so good.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Way late to the season and I just finished the final episode. Holy shit I wasn't expecting that ending. I didn't even think Jeremy was capable of such emotion. That final montage of their best moments across both shows really got to me.

It was another outstanding season and it's a huge shame they're ending this format because they've really perfected it with season 2 and 3. I'm glad the specials are still gonna continue but I really hope there's gonna be mini-docs as well. They've been sublime these past 2 years.