Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Gundam Wing's ED is so bizarre. Why is it all shots of Relena going on safari? What does this have to do with anything?!

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
She pets that dog's tummy with her foot. I always thought that was funny with the way things have gone in recent years. What with foot fetish stuff being the butt of jokes online and all.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
200402-gunpla-gwp-banner-03.jpg

It's no 7-11 branded Gundam, but hell, still fun and free if you buy three shirts.

Oct 25, 2017
Re:Rise 14
EVReH3TX0AIkRZ4

My Boy Riku!!!!!!!!

Otherwise. Kind of chuckled we had a recap, but also they actually showed that major moment from Build Divers. I guess they assume everyone watched it.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah snagged the Hyaku Shiki shirt; was also tempted by the Quebley - under normal circumstances I'd wait and grab the latter from my local store once it gets a price cut but don't think that'll be happening anytime soon lol.

I had my eye on these since, while Uniqlo often does collaborative t-shirts with things I'm interested in, I'm usually not a fan of the designs they use.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeah snagged the Hyaku Shiki shirt; was also tempted by the Quebley - under normal circumstances I'd wait and grab the latter from my local store once it gets a price cut but don't think that'll be happening anytime soon lol.

I had my eye on these since, while Uniqlo often does collaborative t-shirts with things I'm interested in, I'm usually not a fan of the designs they use.

Their designs haven't been that great lately. I liked the Quebely one but really didn't like the stuff on the back of it.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
New Gunpla are up on P-Bandai.

Only a handful, but if they're going to start offering all/most of the stuff we previously missed out on, I'm just going to declare bankruptcy, now.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, finished ZZ.

Actually probably better that I waited until after I rewatched Unicorn (skipped CCA since I had seen it in theaters back in December) to post, helped me contextualize my thoughts more. For one, helps me get behind the part of the ending I did like. Judau's whole attitude of "Man, the Earth Federation is absolutely awful, I'm taking the hot girl and fucking off to Jupiter".

And that's kind of a bigger theme in ZZ that's present through the rest of UC - the Earth Federation as something completely institutionally corrupt yet what people are typically always stuck with as the best available option. Some of the Earth Federation's scummier actions in MSG are kinda glossed over because the One Year War was so brutal (especially the start of it, which was a race to see who could commit bigger genocides) ; of course they then create the Titans and Zeta starts to hammer home the image of detached elites living on Earth. But then ZZ rolls around; the Titans have been eliminated, the AEUG has suffered massive losses in the process, and now Axis is on the verge of a takeover almost by default. And out comes crawling the Federation proper again, casually with the gall to treat the AEUG and Karaba like they're part of its regular forces now (and them having no choice but to go along with it since they have no better options). Out of their own greedy self-interest, the Federation haplessly plays right into Haman's hands - something that probably would have doomed them were it not for the Neo-Zeon civil war. They then once again let the AEUG get decimated so they can show up with their own forces completely intact once Neo-Zeon's been mostly wiped out all "Oh hey guys, guess we're in charge of everything again!"

And this pretty much sets the basis for the Federation through the rest of UC. CCA is basically a complete repeat of their blunders against Haman with absolutely no lesson learned. And then come Unicorn they're willingly throwing their own forces under the bus at the behest to safeguard their dirty laundry to the point of willing to destroy a colony. I had almost forgotten that at the end, Bright is literally walking off to start a rebellion before Riddhe's dad is all "Oh so I'm about to kill my son too? Whoops, now I realize I'm doing something bad!".

I guess my only real issue with Unicorn is that it's completely boxed in by Late UC/F91 and beyond. There's no real hope for change when the viewer knows that it's still the same old Federation and status quo 30 years later. NT is basically already pivoting to Minerva being all "Guess there's nothing we can do besides putting all this psychoframe shit back into Pandora's Box"

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching Zeta (show) for the first time yesterday, after having watched MSG (movies) for the first time sometime last year. For reference my other main gundam point of reference are G and Wing. Zeta starts out much quicker than I remember MSG being. Characters seem much more initially likable also.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching Zeta (show) for the first time yesterday, after having watched MSG (movies) for the first time sometime last year. For reference my other main gundam point of reference are G and Wing. Zeta starts out much quicker than I remember MSG being. Characters seem much more initially likable also.
Even in film form, MSG focuses on the character aspect a bit more and still kinda eases into the political situation. Zeta (apart from how it's intentionally ambiguous at the immediate onset to mask how the status quo has shifted since MSG) gets into the political climate immediately and the core cast plays a much more direct role in shaping broader events from early on. So in that regard, Zeta's definitely gonna feel like it's moving faster.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The characters being likable is something that that will change pretty quick too :P

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
The characters being likable is something that that will change pretty quick too :P

I just got to Ep 11 which pretty strongly features the female interest which I was surprised it took so long. Quattro is great so far, as is Emma. I like the Hyaku Shiki design, although a lot of the other suits I have a hard time identifying on sight, whereas in MSG it was pretty straightforward.

Oct 8, 2019
Oh, right, finished ZZ.

I guess my only real issue with Unicorn is that it's completely boxed in by Late UC/F91 and beyond. There's no real hope for change when the viewer knows that it's still the same old Federation and status quo 30 years later. NT is basically already pivoting to Minerva being all "Guess there's nothing we can do besides putting all this psychoframe shit back into Pandora's Box"

There's a reason why Tomino made anime set thousands of years after the end of the UC period. You cant keep making anime where the ending is "Well maybe now humanity will finally learn its lessons" and then begin the next Gundam series with "Well now the space nazis are back"

Tomino basically ignored the Psychoframe stuff because it verged into Super Robot territory. Bringing it back for one OVA, and then the next movie to go "Well now we have to somehow get the Zeon to forget the tech they created in the first place" is an example of why I stopped caring about UC Gundam in the first place.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just got to Ep 11 which pretty strongly features the female interest which I was surprised it took so long. Quattro is great so far, as is Emma. I like the Hyaku Shiki design, although a lot of the other suits I have a hard time identifying on sight, whereas in MSG it was pretty straightforward.
I think Emma might be one of the very few characters that maintain a positive impression. There are a few others sure that don't really have a whole lot of control over the situation they are in and as a result can't be blamed for much...but overwhealmingly more that just do dumb and or horrible/bad things. Still love the show to bits though.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Quattro is great, yeah. Hyaku Shiki (and the Zeta) are some of my favorite designs in the entire franchise. I think suits in MSG were easy to identify because (besides being less of them), the design language tended to be more separated (or there was a major difference when it was shared; i.e. the bright blue Gouf compared to a Zaku). In Zeta things start getting more complicated both with shared design language (with former Zeonic engineers working for the Titans and Anaheim making shit for both sides) and then all the legacy elements present in designs, some suits starting to have similar colors etc.

Zeta overall has great MS designs though and as more of the transforming suits are introduced, they start getting more unique (whereas a lot of the early Titans suits have a ton of vestigial Zeon design elements).

There's a reason why Tomino made anime set thousands of years after the end of the UC period. You cant keep making anime where the ending is "Well maybe now humanity will finally learn its lessons" and then begin the next Gundam series with "Well now the space nazis are back"

Tomino basically ignored the Psychoframe stuff because it verged into Super Robot territory. Bringing it back for one OVA, and then the next movie to go "Well now we have to somehow get the Zeon to forget the tech they created in the first place" is an example of why I stopped caring about UC Gundam in the first place.
I gather that Tomino did the 30 year timeskip to allow a sort of clean break from everything else and to be able to do something without more old characters again etc. But yeah, dropping psychoframes was probably intentional to not have to go further into that aspect of newtypes. I'm not against Unicorn's use of psychoframes - it's a pretty big fucking deal to use psychic energy to push away half an asteroid on its way into Earth's atmosphere, after all lol. And even if the Earth Federation were to try and cover it up, of course they'd try to find a way to further the tech themselves, especially knowing that the enemy had it too. NT did start taking it to ridiculous levels though so I wonder what the hell Unicorn 2's gonna do.

But because of Late UC, anything they do in this era is locked into the same constraints as pretty much any other midquel; those issues seem a lot larger with Unicorn as it was the "biggest" plot/event-wise of all of the UC midquel OVAs (At least while 0083, by comparison, had a very definitive goal/endpoint for its plot).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Emma might be one of the very few characters that maintain a positive impression. There are a few others sure that don't really have a whole lot of control over the situation they are in and as a result can't be blamed for much...but overwhealmingly more that just do dumb and or horrible/bad things. Still love the show to bits though.
yes, Emma is one of the few characters you still like by the end of the series. Katz, Reccoa, the woman with amnesia whose name I'm forgetting, Fa, Kamille, Kamille's rival (Jerid I think?)...there are so many annoying characters!

Oct 25, 2017
yes, Emma is one of the few characters you still like by the end of the series. Katz, Reccoa, the woman with amnesia whose name I'm forgetting, Fa, Kamille, Kamille's rival (Jerid I think?)...there are so many annoying characters!
You're thinking of Four. Four's good people, she just fights for the Titans. She does care about Kamille though, I like Four and Rosamia more than I like Sarah and Reccoa. Anybody repping for Paptimus is crazy.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, fixing my car didn't take as much of the stimulus money as I thought. So I threw the rest into my Paypal account, and now my pre-order for GFFMC Snow White Prelude will be covered once BBTS charges and ships.

It's just too bad it got delayed to June thanks to the virus :(

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
I just finished Zeta. Man, that's such a great show! I do have some thoughts though!
For one, the pacing in the last 10 episodes or so is wayyyy faster than it should be. The show goes from a nice relaxing pace to literally so much plot happening that they have to fill in the blanks in the intro and outro, and even still you don't always know what's going on for a while.
I like the final episode especially, though I realize most people love it. The section in the theatre is fantastic, in particular Kamille shutting down Scirocco's classist hero narrative. I cannot imagine how this shocking this show must have been to the people watching it on release.
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't come out of the show disliking most of the characters the way it seems a lot of people did. The only characters I legitimately didn't like by the end were Yazan and maybe Fa (I don't like Tomino doing the "girl takes care of children for half the show" thing again, even if he did give Fa more to do than Fraw. I realize Tomino probably is just an old man, and isn't trying to be harmful with his stereotyping, but it doesn't sit right with me.)
Also, loved the mobile suit design in this one. You can tell they were throwing whatever they could at the wall (I'm looking at you, Bolinoak Sammahn), since there wasn't exactly a standard Gundam aesthetic at the time, but it really works for me. So many wacky oddball suits. Hope the 3 suits that don't have kits eventually get them some day!

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019

I was given this set as payment for a commission a few weeks back. I have never encountered a model with screws before, but it definitely makes a difference. This boy is STURDY. Articulation isn't the best but I really liked this model.

I finished a MG Bael last night. In contract he's pretty flimsy nor do I see a port for where I can use a stand. I'll take another look tonight when I take pics.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bound Doc looks great. Nice to see them throw us old folks a bone every once in a while.

I should finish up my other Zeta HGUCs. Despite being stuck at home for over a month I have little desire to do any kits right now.

I was given this set as payment for a commission a few weeks back. I have never encountered a model with screws before, but it definitely makes a difference. This boy is STURDY. Articulation isn't the best but I really liked this model.
Screws kinda came and went for the MGs in the mid 00's or so. I liked them as it gave you some control over the joint stiffness, but they were pretty easy to strip sometimes, you needed to be careful. PGs might still use them but I haven't done one of those since the Mk. II.

Last edited:

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
Bound Doc looks great. Nice to see them throw us old folks a bone every once in a while.

I should finish up my other Zeta HGUCs. Despite being stuck at home for over a month I have little desire to do any kits right now.

Screws kinda came and went for the MGs in the mid 00's or so. I liked them as it gave you some control over the joint stiffness, but they were pretty easy to strip sometimes, you needed to be careful. PGs might still use them but I haven't done one of those since the Mk. II.

Feels like the action frame in this burning gundam is a predecessor to the endoskeletons started with IBO.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You're thinking of Four. Four's good people, she just fights for the Titans. She does care about Kamille though, I like Four and Rosamia more than I like Sarah and Reccoa. Anybody repping for Paptimus is crazy.
Oh Rosamia is who I was thinking of, not Four. I think I remember Four being fine. I totally forgot about Sarah too..."Master Paptimus!" Good god.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Rosamia is who I was thinking of, not Four. I think I remember Four being fine. I totally forgot about Sarah too..."Master Paptimus!" Good god.
Rosamia's a cutie. There's this one ep towards the end where Fa and Rosamia are just so dressed up that I have to like both of them. Fa's in this red outfit with a cowboy tie and Rosamia I think is wearing a nice yellow sweater or something. The character designs in Zeta are my favorites.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh man Baund Doc was one of my faves going through that era of UC, it's a must have kit for me!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Decided to build a lighting box and try to take better photos. Might have some fun with my old copy of photoshop(6, just 6, no extra letters there XD) to add in some weapon effects for the fun of it. Plus I have 2 posable stands(and a fixed)... well one I have to get the mount off of but should be good. Say what are the best options action base for a hg/mg collection

Man God

Oct 25, 2017

Emma is the best character in UC Gundam.

Oct 25, 2017
Emma is the best character in UC Gundam.
Basically. She's the only Titans member that had enough moral fiber and balls to just leave when she realized how fucked the place was. Even Bright sticks with the Federation knowing the place is a shit hole. I guess he can't leave since they give him money to support Mirai and their daughter and yes I'm not including Hathaway in that since we know what happens with him.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. She's the only Titans member that had enough moral fiber and balls to just leave when she realized how fucked the place was. Even Bright sticks with the Federation knowing the place is a shit hole. I guess he can't leave since they give him money to support Mirai and their daughter and yes I'm not including Hathaway in that since we know what happens with him.
Exactly. Confronted with the atrocities of the Titans she goes fuck this when every other Titan ever shown is a full blown space fascist who gleefully murderers and tortures their way through the galaxy.

The Titans are the biggest scumbags imaginable.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Confronted with the atrocities of the Titans she goes fuck this when every other Titan ever shown is a full blown space fascist who gleefully murderers and tortures their way through the galaxy.

The Titans are the biggest scumbags imaginable.
It's almost comically hilarious that Jamitov Hymen, Jamaican Danigan and Bask Om are worse than the space Nazi's.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit. RIP imports for us folks in the US. SAL mail was already temporarily suspended, now EMS mail is too. Though going by some places (HLJ) it seems DHL and Fedex still work for now, but I'm not sure how many places use those.

お知らせ - 日本郵便

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well shit. RIP imports for us folks in the US. SAL mail was already temporarily suspended, now EMS mail is too. Though going by some places (HLJ) it seems DHL and Fedex still work for now, but I'm not sure how many places use those.

お知らせ - 日本郵便

If you didn't see that's not the worst of it: Bluefin's warehouse is shutdown indefinitely too(well hopefully they'll figure out a way to partly open) which means retail in the US is screwed too

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah I've read that, explains why no one's got the RG Eva-01 yet. I'm betting it'll affect restocks too.
Worse I still haven't gotten my emerald city lucky bag they did the other month cause they cancelled the con DX. But yeah US retail isn't getting new stock until they get the warehouse functional again so that means not only no new kits, but inflated prices on all but the most common kits until this gets fixed. Glad I ordered my MG Turn a, Shin Mazinger Z and SdCS Gaogaigar before this escalated

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Made it up to Ep 38 of Zeta. So far I'm really enjoying it. Char is much more interesting in this series than in MSG. Really dig the Zeta and Hayaku Shiki designs also.