HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
For people who are new to the genre? Learning that their buttons need to have a purpose, that there's a sequence and a reason to pressing them and knowing what they do. After that? Learning how to block the basic stuff (high, low and jump ins).
Once they break that barrier, learning any FG will certainly be easier (not simple though).

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's just dependent on who they face, in all honesty. Sure it'll happen eventually, but you're almost guaranteed to get a bunch of smurf accounts on the way there who'll just blow that strategy up.

Against actual beginners/people who genuinely deserve to be in those ranks it'll absolutely work though. That being said though, blocking isn't really something a beginner can just pick up imo. Punishing random stuff and anti-airs is whatever, but blocking high-low mixups and whatever is definitely out of total beginner range.

The only way to test the theory though is to get an actual "so do I press X to jump?' beginner and let them try it.
The number of smurfs you're gonna encounter at Rookie/Bronze is severely overblown. Regardless, smurf or not, no you won't win every match but who does? Eventually I believe you can get there with that strategy (which tbh isn't really a strategy I think people should necessarily adopt, it's just one that works and shows that things can be bit more simple than they may realise).

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
For people who are new to the genre? Learning that their buttons need to have a purpose, that there's a sequence and a reason to pressing them and knowing what they do. After that? Learning how to block the basic stuff (high, low and jump ins).
Once they break that barrier, learning any FG will certainly be easier (not simple though).
I actually meant for people to talk about their own individual hardest thing for them.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The number of smurfs you're gonna encounter at Rookie/Bronze is severely overblown. Regardless, smurf or not, no you won't win every match but who does? Eventually I believe you can get there with that strategy (which tbh isn't really a strategy I think people should necessarily adopt, it's just one that works and shows that things can be bit more simple than they may realise).
But still, I'd say that's waaaaaay out of reach for a total beginner. Someone who has played casually for years and wants to try and dip their toes in competitive, sure, but not for absolute beginners.

Just block and punish unsafe things has a huge number of exceptions. Like I'd say it's definitely the most consistent way to help improve your gameplay at a base level, but it's not something that you can just do.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
But still, I'd say that's waaaaaay out of reach for a total beginner. Someone who has played casually for years and wants to try and dip their toes in competitive, sure, but not for absolute beginners.

Just block and punish unsafe things has a huge number of exceptions. Like I'd say it's definitely the most consistent way to help improve your gameplay at a base level, but it's not something that you can just do.
Right, that's why I wanted to make a thread on it so we could go more in depth. Anti airing can win you matches on its own but you can't just tell someone to just AA, you gotta show them and explain it and tell them what to look for etc.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually meant for people to talk about their own individual hardest thing for them.
That's what I get for not reading the last line in the OP :P

For me, well tbh it's the lack of time, I don't dedicate much time to FGs anymore, that's the biggest hurdle for me. Back in the SF4 and MvC3 era I had time to watch tutorials, matches, lab, play ranked mode for hours, go to a friend's house and play, etc. Nowadays I don't have time for that :( It's probably a silly answer, but it's what I feel prevents me from getting better. Hell, I haven't touched KoF XV since launch week :(

Last edited:

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
For me it's always been managing blocks, when to block, predicting blocks, all of it. I am always terrible at it and end up trying to go hard on the offense instead which almost never works

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...getting those long combo combinations right. Especially if there's even a quarter circle with the pad/thumbstick included. D:

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I get for not reading the last line in the OP :P

For me, well tbh it's the lack of time, I don't dedicate much time to FGs anymore, that's the biggest hurdle for me. Back in the SF4 and MvC3 era I had time to watch tutorials, matches, lab, play ranked mode for hours, go to a friend's house and play, etc. Nowadays I don't have time for that :( It's probably a silly answer, but it's what I feel prevents me from getting better. Hell, I haven't touched KoF XV since launch week :(
That's totally valid. If you can't dedicate time, you can't play/practice, so you can't improve.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Adapting when I realize the character I like visually is kinda ass in general or very hard to learn.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure a total beginner can make it to at least Silver by doing nothing but anti-airs, and just blocking and then punishing sweeps and random DPs. Nothing else. One day I might make a thread about this.
That's pretty much the only way I get wins in SFV. Still though I never made it much futher than hovering between bronze and super bronze. There are enough people I encounter where I find I can't just wait for them to make a mistake like that. Also "just" blocking seems like a massive over simplification as you have to be sure your blocking the right thing.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much the only way I get wins in SFV. Still though I never made it much futher than hovering between bronze and super bronze. There are enough people I encounter where I find I can't just wait for them to make a mistake like that. Also "just" blocking seems like a massive over simplification as you have to be sure your blocking the right thing.
By just blocking I really meant "not attacking". But yes you'd have to teach them about blocking high Vs blocking low etc.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like that's just dependent on who they face, in all honesty. Sure it'll happen eventually, but you're almost guaranteed to get a bunch of smurf accounts on the way there who'll just blow that strategy up.

Against actual beginners/people who genuinely deserve to be in those ranks it'll absolutely work though. That being said though, blocking isn't really something a beginner can just pick up imo. Punishing random stuff and anti-airs is whatever, but blocking high-low mixups and whatever is definitely out of total beginner range.

The only way to test the theory though is to get an actual "so do I press X to jump?' beginner and let them try it.

I did it four times with characters I'd never played before. It's very doable (I only used one poke, one anti-air, and throw). I don't play SFV.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Frame data by a very large margin.

1) Most games still have archaic training modes and don't properly show you why you are plus or negative.

2) Games with low frame move sufer immensely online and are pretty much impossible to properly deal with from match to match.

3) Even when you have everything under control, it's still a matter of mind game. That's beautiful and scary for newcomers.

Last edited:

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
You have to play the game. You have to play the game even if you character gets patched and has glitches now that make them less viable, if they change system mechanics, introduce new characters, change support, alter tournament formats, update the online, accidentally buff strong characters, and god knows what else. You have to still want to play the game and find the motiovation to continue to play the game despite everything the game throws at you. Playing the game is harder than anything else to me.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
By and large, knowing the hard numbers WRT frame data isn't super important. They can help, sure, but if you're someone who has issues with remembering them than it's not the end of the world. You can easily get away with throwing out moves and generally experiment to see if you get punished or not. Even Mike "4th Place" Ross didn't bother with frames, famously saying "I don't count frames, I play by feeling." And while it was said half-jokingly, it was still a valid way of learning.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
By and large, knowing the hard numbers WRT frame data isn't super important. They can help, sure, but if you're someone who has issues with remembering them than it's not the end of the world. You can easily get away with throwing out moves and generally experiment to see if you get punished or not. Even Mike "4th Place" Ross didn't bother with frames, famously saying "I don't count frames, I play by feeling." And while it was said half-jokingly, it was still a valid way of learning.
That proves the frame data point. You can get literally everything there is to get down, get result, and still struggle handling punishes because of the lack of framedata knowledge.

It's the end all that there is to learn and the hardest thing to keep track of. With random monitors lagging, bad net codes, controller delays. There are a plethora of thing to throw you off.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
for me it's probably figuring out when it's my turn to press buttons. Specifically in anime games.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
I always hit a ceiling with matchups I think. I get an intermediate level of skill with a character, but the revolving door of characters always does me in.

like you'll get matched up with someone who's pretty good, who knows their character, and you'll be making mental notes. Can't anti air that, can't punish that, ok can't throw that I guess they're airbourne??

get your clock cleaned, and think alright, i'll get them next time. You don't see that character again for the next 40 matches. Then Oh look who it is. Can't anti air that, can't punish that- well.... i'll get'em next time.

Oct 28, 2017

"Playing by feel" and testing things out is still implicitly learning frame data, you're just doing it the long way. I know some people's eyes roll back in their head if you ever mention frame data, but it's ultimately just a shortcut so you don't have to test the advantage of every move on hit or block, so you know what combos into what, what sort of oki situation you get after a knockdown etc.

Granted, the knowledge burden can be kind of high in some games (e.g. Tekken), but even there you begin to recognise patterns in how the game is designed - like most hopkicks being -13, for instance.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me it is the step of going from being able to execute combos in training mode to actually pulling them off in a real match.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
This. You have to be prepared to take the L.

With fighting games, it's just you and the other guy, so the L hits different.
That hurts but it's also why I prefer fighting games over other competitive genres in gaming. I don't like being the reason a team lost. With 1v1 matches, it's easier for me not to take the loss seriously.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
for me it's probably figuring out when it's my turn to press buttons. Specifically in anime games.
Ya know what

This really is the same as not knowing MUs

Because whilst knowing frame data helps to understand it really doesn't mean too much when it comes to getting your turn back

Unless their really minus or punishable

Because if soon as they minus they can still have a ton of options on stealing their turn or keeping their pressure going

So I say MU knowledge is the main culprit to this issue

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep coming back to three points. Adaptation in a set (and occasionally within a single round) which is a step more involved than just learning the match-up, being able to identify problems in your play on a macro-level and taking effective steps to address them without burning out, getting side-tracked by another problem, or getting trapped in the training room forever, and being able to recognize positive progress you've made in your play to help you stay motivated.

Jun 5, 2018
Keeping at it enough to get good, in arena fighters I just tend to mess about with random since that's fun for me, but with more strategic ones such as street fighter in which not having a main can be a detriment I just struggle to keep at it enough to get good, there's a level of commitment I just don't have the patience for, people who do have always been fascinating to me, I've given it a go in the past but never went the distance. (Side note, my hands genuinely can't do it enough to get good either, feel like I'll permanently damage them trying to master a character in street fighter.)

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
That hurts but it's also why I prefer fighting games over other competitive genres in gaming. I don't like being the reason a team lost. With 1v1 matches, it's easier for me not to take the loss seriously.
For sure. In a team game the hard part is accepting responsibility and not solely blaming your team mates for an upset.
In a 1v1 the only outputs for toxicity are your opponent and yourself, and both are dangerous.

myco666

Oct 26, 2017
Fake Europe
That proves the frame data point. You can get literally everything there is to get down, get result, and still struggle handling punishes because of the lack of framedata knowledge.

It's the end all that there is to learn and the hardest thing to keep track of. With random monitors lagging, bad net codes, controller delays. There are a plethora of thing to throw you off.

You really dont need to know framedata to handle punishes. You just need to know what punishes what and this can be learned simply just by trial and error. Framedata is just a good tool to figure out possible punishes and situations faster.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure a lot of people have touched on this point by now, but the biggest hurdle is moving past your own ego. If you want to get to a point where you can play a fighting game well, you need to not be taking every loss like it is a personal slap to the face.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Same, it's the only genre I've ever spent a lot of time in multiplayer for that reason. I'm more self conscious about team mates being upset with me than I ever am about being an easy win for someone.

Losses only really get to me after a decent time investment. I'll hit a wall of stagnation and feel out of my depth about whats needed to improve. Really the hardest thing about learning fighters for me is knowing in the first place what it is I actually should be working on. I struggle to parse the reams of advice out there.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Bread and butter combos.

In training? I can do them consistently all the time. In an actual match? Not a chance.

Oct 28, 2017
Accepting that losing a match is OK. You should be playing for the individual moments that occur, not the win, when you start playing. Land that one combo, seek to land a specific poke in a match X times, perform a successful tick throw, etc.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I did it four times with characters I'd never played before. It's very doable (I only used one poke, one anti-air, and throw). I don't play SFV.
How familiar with the genre in general are you though?
Like I could get SFVI day 1 and climb ranks by playing super conservatively and just punishing silly mistakes, but I've played fighting games super casually since SF2, and I've put time in learning different ones since Super SFIV.

Bread and butter combos.

In training? I can do them consistently all the time. In an actual match? Not a chance.
What are you struggling with exactly: actually inputting the BnB combo under pressure, or recognizing when you've actually landed the hit?

I fell under the latter for so long, but I'm fairly comfortable with that stuff now.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
You really dont need to know framedata to handle punishes. You just need to know what punishes what and this can be learned simply just by trial and error. Framedata is just a good tool to figure out possible punishes and situations faster.
This is the reason "masher" is the most used word in the community lol.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
The hardest part of learning a fighting game past the most casual of single-player is realizing and internalizing you didn't lose, you let the other person win. Every time you lose is your own damn fault. It has nothing to do with combos, execution, matchup knowledge - those come after realizing you must not let the other person win.

As ProblemX (world-class + champion fighting game player) said: stop asking why does he keep doing that, start asking why am I getting hit by that.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Figuring out what the hell people are talking about when discussing fighting games.

It's an incomprehensible language

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, my issue with fighting games is that it is hard to know what you did wrong in fighting games. It is much easier to correct yourself in other games, but in fighting games, the how to learn part is a bit of a mystery.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely matchup knowledge and just keeping up with the meta in general. Getting to a decent level offensively is easy for me, but then I'll drift off to other games and not keep up. When I crave it and come back, I'm hopelessly behind and losing to all kinds of stuff I've never seen before. It was already my biggest issue, but season passes and DLC characters have made it much worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Finding someone else in your life who will actually want to play one with you, and isn't intimidated by you asking, as their previous experiences probably weren't great.

If I had someone else, it'd be easier to learn games. I tried playing with folks online via discord, and they usually just weren't good at teaching/had poor social skills.

Im not going to go find a "scene" to hang out at for something Im still not sure how much I like, and just to learn. It's a lot of investment for unknown reward. Nerd culture tends to be hard to parse, you gotta clear some gatekeepers probably, and then find someone who's good at teaching, knows the game, and is a decent person.
Then you have to fit that into your life. Fighting games seem like you're taking up a new sport, learning a language, or an instrument, but with far worse resources available than those, but with similar rewards (it's awesome to learn a discipline and see yourself improve and use what you've learned).

If you can get the right person to teach you, it seems like you can start moving on your own better in the future.
Other games mostly use design to try and teach you by playing(at least the basics), but aside from the latest Guilty Gear, I havent even seen a good tutorial in a fighting game yet. This is a challenge for both fighting game developers and the "community", albeit in different ways.

I really like them, but I cant stick with any of them for long unless I have friends to play with. Playing online usually leads to me hitting some kind of wall in growth, and Im never sure what it is Im not doing right, and would rather just spend time in other ways.

Also, theres just a lot of memorization (combos, frame data, where the actual hotboxes are on attacks, matchup knowledge, what to do in specific scenarios like wakeup or being up against a wall etc), which for many isn't a fun way to learn anything.

Last edited:

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Getting rid of bad habits. I don't know why I do so much stupid shit on reaction instead of what I'm supposed to do. My muscle memory just sticks to unsafe answers and bad combo finishers, even though I spend a good chunk in training trying to overcome certain situations, when they come up I always default to my bullshit