Oct 26, 2017
The biggest visual issue they need to address coming from XIV is the art style of the character models.

Hiroaki's art style would hold things together perfectly.

Hiroaki has been working on Soul Calibur VI, so he might have been busy. Then again SC6 is mostly winding down even if it does get another season, so it's not impossible.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I think there still hope for Hiroaki. He actually just recently did the art for Dan arcade ending in SFV so I dont think he is only settle on SC6

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to get excited for this game without the confirmation of rollback and cross-play. SamSho was one of my favorite fighting games of the last 5 years but SNK sent that game out to die. Hopefully covid was a wakeup call to fighting game devs that you can't rely on local scenes to get your game to succeed

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
OPQbhNhLtrqZTrJOnQHy_Bq6p7stu7ofp1kIXj48cXo.jpg

OMG
Andy was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Glad to see Kyo, Benimaru, Shun'Ei, Leona & K' back! They look better, too.

I guess we've moved on very quickly from feeling pissed about them being owned by a fucking dictator

They don't exactly fully own the company, only part of it.

Is there a chance in hell they'd go back to 2D sprites/handdrawn or are we getting 2.5D again?

2.5D's the norm for fighting games now. Have been since Street Fighter IV.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give King, Vice, and Vanessa please. Also give rollback netcode.

Edit:
I guess we've moved on very quickly from feeling pissed about them being owned by a fucking dictator
www.resetera.com

Saudi Arabian games company EGDC (largest shareholder: the Crown Prince) becomes largest shareholder (33%) in SNK

thanks ! http://www.bloter.net/archives/483475 owner info https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_bin_Salman

I had no idea about this and it cuts me straight to the bone. Not sure what I'm going to do now, but I probably won't buy it. God damn it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC were already confirmed 2 years ago for the next games in the KOF, Samsho and Metal Slug series. It'd be a surprise if XV didn't hit all four even if not day one.
Those were super early plans, I'd be surprised if next gen dev kits were out for third party projects at that point. I'm sure things have changed since. I'd only expect PS4, PS5, and Xbox on day 1. Probably no PC launch (or if any on day 1, EGS only), and a delayed Switch title also looks pretty likely, especially if the game actually looks decent.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Those were super early plans, I'd be surprised if next gen dev kits were out for third party projects at that point. I'm sure things have changed since. I'd only expect PS4, PS5, and Xbox on day 1. Probably no PC launch (or if any on day 1, EGS only), and a delayed Switch title also looks pretty likely, especially if the game actually looks decent.
Oh sure, I'd expect more platforms as likely (PS5, XSXS, Stadia, Luna). I just think those four are probably still a sure thing for KOFXV (and MS8).

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Why in fuck does Kyo have the effing schoolboy hair and headband back. The coolest thing he did with that headband was burn it in 99. :(

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
The roster Shake up will be very interesting, I fully expect a lot of people to trow a fit over characters not making it but to be honest at this point KOF has sooooo many good characters its impossible to please everyone unless they blow all their mobile games money into a dream match game and toping 02UM is a tall order and even that game had missing characters.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Senri Kita to shine!

Totally unrelated, but I've always wondered if it's a coincidence that both ShiNKiro and SeNri Kita had SNK in their nicknames.

Most likely, they probably still aren't aware of this lol.

Why in fuck does Kyo have the effing schoolboy hair and headband back. The coolest thing he did with that headband was burn it in 99. :(

Gotta see the actual model but the return is definitely odd considering he hasn't worn it in any of his designs since 99 and it's always associated with his classic design.

Going by that art he will look like XIII Kyo with a headband.

Last edited:

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finallllllly can't freaking wait. I'm a little sad though since I was hoping for a VGA trailer but this is great as well.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I really need this to look good graphically. Also, I hope Vanessa can make the launch roster. One more thing, don't tether EX moves to another mechanic, that wasn't a great decision (in my opinion). Do those three things and I will be very, very happy.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For real. The Xbox One was lousy for fighters after the 360 was flush with them. Some company needs to step forward and be like "I'll release a fighting game on Xbox" again.
the 360 was the default system for fighting games and there tournaments back then so it made sense why there was so many, then the PS4 took over and became the default. Unlike the PS3 the Xbox One didn't really have an audience in Japan so most FG (besides some of the bigger ones) just passed over it since they didn't believe there game would sell well on it

part of the reason that PS4 became the default was because of Sony getting console exclusivity on SFV which pretty much meant that most tournaments would need to have PS4 around since SFV is one of the bigger games in the scene, so there was just a bunch of PS4 they could already use which is why it played out the way it did

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man... I really need this to look good graphically. Also, I hope Vanessa can make the launch roster. One more thing, don't tether EX moves to another mechanic, that wasn't a great decision (in my opinion). Do those three things and I will be very, very happy.

The combination of EX moves and drive cancels in XIII was perfection.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I liked how XIII handled EX moves (outside of the cast, I like nearly everything about XIII), I hated them being locked behind the Max Mode in XIV.

Not just EX moves but just free flow of the gameplay.

You could EX, Drive cancel, or just have proper juggles WITHOUT max mode. Game felt so much fun.

And then you go into XIV and it's like "press this button and go max mode or nothing happens". =(

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
All i want is:
- Kyo, Iori, K', Shingo, Terry, Kim, Rock, RYO to be present.
- Takuma, Saisyu, Yamazaki also if possible.
- Fantastic Graphic Engine.
- Team Members stay in the background and cheer you up.
- Deep Story Mode.
- Big Roster: 33+

Cannot wait.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
All i want is:
- Kyo, Iori, K', Shingo, Terry, Kim, Rock, RYO to be present.
- Takuma, Saisyu, Yamazaki also if possible.
- Fantastic Graphic Engine.
- Team Members stay in the background and cheer you up.
- Deep Story Mode.
- Big Roster: 33+

Cannot wait.

Not only is your "all I want" ridiculous as it basically demands crazy stuff like fantastic visuals, huge roster, a "deep" story mode .... very reasonable heh, you forgot they should give us 100 dollars for buying the game as well.

But also somehow you left out good online.

And FYI fuck deep story modes, the last thing it needs is to waste ressources into that, just give intros and outros for arcade runs, that's good enough IMO.

What I'd like to come back is the color customization from older games, it's so good.

I think only SFxTekken had used it on 3D models so not holding my breath. Hopefully the set colors will look better in this than they did in 14.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the default costumes except Shun, but he was always a mess character design-wise.
Let's also hope the entire art style was overhauled, because the sterile plastic anime dolls of KoFXIV actively kept me from ever getting the game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the default costumes except Shun, but he was always a mess character design-wise.

What's odd is that Ogura mentions in the teaser that Shun looks a lot cooler in XV but in the design they show he looks exactly the same, like next to zero changes.

Can only assume his model/animations have been given extra attention or something.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What I'm most interested in seeing, at least at the moment, is how the shake ups may apply to gameplay. Hopefully, all that talk about "ambition" means we may see the return of SNK being more experimental with various gameplay systems, again.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I inverted/desaturated K' and Leona's art since that was a bit distracting.
K.png

Leona.png

Great work!

Looks like they won't get any major changes to their designs (not like they need them).

What I'm most interested in seeing, at least at the moment, is how the shake ups may apply to gameplay. Hopefully, all that talk about "ambition" means we may see the return of SNK being more experimental with various gameplay systems, again.

Wonder if they will address the issue of people needing to learn three characters, that's a regular complaint.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a system similar to 2001 where they let you choose the number of characters.

Also, hopefully hyperdrive/max mode doesn't come back. New and fresh mechanics pls.

Thank you...Saudi prince?!?!

For what?

He did jack shit.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Man, seeing this kind of reactions, it must feel great for all the artists and developers doing this for a living for months and years only for it to get shat on because the wrong person bought stocks in the company they work for.