• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing I would love but dont expect is the being able to swap looks, even if the are DLC if you give me the option to pick MoTW Terry you will get my money SNK.

It's best to save MOTW Terry for the new Fatal Fury at this point (which seems inevitable now, maybe even of the next two new games they make after XV and the new Metal Slug).

That being said, Ogura did mention in the XV teaser that Kyo won't have his headband on in alternate costumes (plural). So it sounds like there might be some alt costumes/accessories happening.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's best to save MOTW Terry for the new Fatal Fury at this point (which seems inevitable now, maybe even of the next two new games they make after XV and the new Metal Slug).

That being said, Ogura did mention in the XV teaser that Kyo won't have his headband on in alternate costumes (plural). So it sounds like there might be some alt costumes/accessories happening.

There is literally 0 chance in hell you get another fatal fury lol.

They even said as much while talking about garou and last blade, they can't develop games like these anymore so the characters crossing over the bigger franchises (samsho / KOF) is the best we'll get. Which is fine.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017

They even said as much while talking about garou and last blade, they can't develop games like these anymore so the characters crossing over the bigger franchises (samsho / KOF) is the best we'll get. Which is fine.
Actually your wrong on that one. While talking about not being able to make games like they used to, Oda then specifies that fatal fury is of satisfactory work and he's looking forward to bringing new works in the future so it's highly likely that the next game after KOF15 will be a Fatal Fury game

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I always felt like Last Blade was the modernization of what Sam Sho created and by early 2000 id had more fans than the samsho series...feels like SNK got tricked into making another SamSho and watching it fail all over again which bothers me because I want SNK to revise other old franchises and not just be a KOF and Metal Slug developer...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually your wrong on that one. While talking about not being able to make games like they used to, Oda then specifies that fatal fury is of satisfactory work and he's looking forward to bringing new works in the future so it's highly likely that the next game after KOF15 will be a Fatal Fury game

Fair enough.

I don't think it's a good idea though. I feel like they have more unique games to bring back over FF.

I always felt like Last Blade was the modernization of what Sam Sho created and by early 2000 id had more fans than the samsho series...feels like SNK got tricked into making another SamSho and watching it fail all over again which bothers me because I want SNK to revise other old franchises and not just be a KOF and Metal Slug developer...

The game sold pretty well, it just had shit online. Hell it's still being supported to this day.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, Oda only said that about Last Blade. He said that its story is complete and they'd like to leave it at that.

With Fatal Fury he always said that he wants to make it before he retires and that they are just looking for the right time. They even dedicated an entire stream to where he and Kurouki showed up with their MOTW sketches and even talked in detail about the canceled MOTW2.

Stuff like Gato actually being blinded after being wounded in his ending. He was going to be a blind fighter in the sequel. Animating new moves for Rock, Gato's father being playable, Joe's student (female Muay Thai fighter) etc.

Also the fact that they mentioned working on two games a year moving forward points to them wanting to bring more IPs back, they aren't going to make a new SamSho and KOF every year. And something like FF would have a smaller roster so would have a shorter dev time compared to KOF.

What? SamSho didn't fail, there's a reason that it's getting a third season.

SamSho VSP was also very successful and is very highly regarded to this day.

Last Blade's gameplay, setting, atmosphere etc. are completely different from SamSho. They are two separate series. A new LB absolutely needs to happen but SamSho getting a sequel was definitely not a mistake.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SNK doesn't release numbers.

Even Max mentioned on his stream yesterday that SamSho sold extremely well. The game also reviewed well.

Yeah, so we still have no proof of SamSho's success, so far. The only number we have is the 40k that SNK shipped and sold in Japan on week one.

If you ask me, the interest about the game from casuals / semi competitve players, the empty lobbies and the really short life of competition on SamSho smells like failure. But as long as we don't have official numbers, it's hard to say.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so we still have no proof of SamSho's success, so far. The only number we have is the 40k that SNK shipped and sold in Japan on week one.

If you ask me, the interest about the game from casuals / semi competitve players, the empty lobbies and the really short life of competition on SamSho smells like failure. But as long as we don't have official numbers, it's hard to say.

Hey, whatever floats your boat.

We all want a sequel to Last Blade but I don't see the point in trying to paint SamSho as a failure just because. It not getting a new entry wouldn't have resulted in a new Last Blade being made instead.

Its success is a great thing, it means SNK will bring back more IPs instead of just making KOF. Which is already happening with Metal Slug getting a new mainline sequel in over a decade.

It's also about expectations, SNK was super happy about the JP launch numbers and even had a celebration over it lol. They seem to be managing their budgets and dev time really well so they don't need to sell millions to be successful.

Last edited:

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I appreciate about the KOF series is how universal the game feels so playing one character to the next feels familiar (similar to Smash). On second thought, KOF seems like a good series to get into for Smash players who want to play traditional (SF-esque) fighting games.

I have good vibes about SNK's revival. KOF XIV, while not being the greatest looking game, was actually a really solid first attempt out of a long hiatus. I'm sure they have learned a lot since then.

Anyways, I'm hyped for this game. If they can make this game look as good as that Raiden image that was posted in this thread... wow...

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder on what merit it will be the most ambitious KOF, if it's roster size i can't imagine it happening with anything but 3D models and some asset reuse so people should calm down about any hopes for sprites making a return. With how KOF14 went with it's story
most are expecting a dream match scenario with most bad guys returning from the dead except Orochi right?
it will be fun.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
What? SamSho didn't fail, there's a reason that it's getting a third season.

SamSho VSP was also very successful and is very highly regarded to this day.

Last Blade's gameplay, setting, atmosphere etc. are completely different from SamSho. They are two separate series. A new LB absolutely needs to happen but SamSho getting a sequel was definitely not a mistake.
Eh you might be right but when it comes to measuring success the DLC support isn't necessary the right meter when it comes to SNK, they released the DLC for KOX XIV nearly one year after release when the hype was kinda dead and the last 2 characters basically came out when the game was truly dead so saying that SamSho did well because it's getting a third dlc season is kinda a wild guess...I do believe it made them a profit though so there's that. Still, thats being happy with the bare minimum and considering how hard realeasing games for SNK is SamSho (at least for me) feels like a missed opportunity...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder on what merit it will be the most ambitious KOF, if it's roster size i can't imagine it happening with anything but 3D models and some asset reuse so people should calm down about any hopes for sprites making a return. With how KOF14 went with it's story
most are expecting a dream match scenario with most bad guys returning from the dead except Orochi right?
it will be fun.

Anyone actually hoping for 2D sprites has been living under a very large rock for a very long time.
Eh you might be right but when it comes to measuring success the DLC support isn't necessary the right meter when it comes to SNK, they released the DLC for KOX XIV nearly one year after release when the hype was kinda dead and the last 2 characters basically came out when the game was truly dead so saying that SamSho did well because it's getting a third dlc season is kinda a wild guess...I do believe it made them a profit though so there's that. Still, thats being happy with the bare minimum and considering how hard realeasing games for SNK is SamSho (at least for me) feels like a missed opportunity...

Except they have mentioned many times how successful XIV has been for them, they are very happy with how it performed.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope their next game is easier on the eyes, I think their last couple of games were really fun but kinda ugly.