• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
As stated in the beta test document https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/official/kof-xv/obt_jp.pdf

"本テストでは、オンライン対戦のネットコードにロールバック方式を導入しており、ネット コードのミドルウェアには、「GGPO」(https://ja.ggpo.net/)を使用しています。"
DeepL translation said:
"In this test, a rollback method is used for the netcode of online matches. GGPO" (https://ja.ggpo.net/) is used as the middleware for the netcode."

Probably the biggest fighting game in scale to use this middleware from what I'm seeing.

KOF15 will also show rollback frames in battle. The ping will also be shown through "levels". Level 5 is 0-19ms, level 4 is 20-34ms, and so on.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic news. I was worried SNK would try and make their own jank rollback like SFV did.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully with feedback they can replace the level indicators with proper ping in final game.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yeah, eager to try this out if that's the case.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Consider my expectations shattered. Also, we got a preview of the game's main theme thanks to the PS5 main menu.

As for the file sizes…

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 version has "Trigger effect required" and "Vibration function required" on the store page.
From my understanding recent PS5 games starting doing this essentially lock out the "specialty controllers"
They're not forcing you to use a Dualsense are they?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The PS5 version has "Trigger effect required" and "Vibration function required" on the store page.
From my understanding recent PS5 games starting doing this essentially lock out the "specialty controllers"
They're not forcing you to use a Dualsense are they?
I just checked, my PS4 stick works in KoFXV PS5.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the new melty also use ggpo ? Didn't the third strike remaster also use it ?

GGPO isn't a guarantee at good net code if not utilized properly. Melty had to get patched but third strike remained caca from when I played.

SNK track record with online is abysmal. None are remotely acceptable or good. I'm glad they went this route but in no fucking way am I flushing money down the toilet unless the FGC is praising it's netcode on release.

If anyone could easily fuck up GGPO netcode in 2021/2022, or have a shitty online experience all around, it's SNK.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the new melty also use ggpo ? Didn't the third strike remaster also use it ?

GGPO isn't a guarantee at good net code if not utilized properly. Melty had to get patched but third strike remained caca from when I played.

SNK track record with online is abysmal. None are remotely acceptable or good. I'm glad they went this route but in no fucking way am I flushing money down the toilet unless the FGC is praising it's netcode on release.

If anyone could easily fuck up GGPO netcode in 2021/2022, or have a shitty online experience all around, it's SNK.
You mean you won't test it for free this week end to judge for yourself ?

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
SNK track record with online is abysmal. None are remotely acceptable or good.

Garou has GGPO now, works great.

KOF 2002 has GGPO now, works great.

The Last Blade 2 has GGPO now, works great.

KOF98 just had its GGPO beta, worked great.

SNK has been working with Code Mystics on their GGPO implementation lately and so far they are 4 for 4, so it'll probably be fine.

Still just smart to like...try the free beta, or if you can't wait for other reactions though, ofc, just saying that their track record being "none are good" is false as of late.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Garou has GGPO now, works great.

KOF 2002 has GGPO now, works great.

The Last Blade 2 has GGPO now, works great.

KOF98 just had its GGPO beta, worked great.

SNK has been working with Code Mystics on their GGPO implementation lately and so far they are 4 for 4, so it'll probably be fine.

Still just smart to like...try the free beta, or if you can't wait for other reactions though, ofc, just saying that their track record being "none are good" is false as of late.
I'm fairly sure that Code Mystics does not use GGPO in their titles.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they didn't try to make their own implementation and used GGPO instead.

Hopefully it works well, I don't have a PS to test but will check the reactions.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news! I'll make an OT for the beta tomorrow as long as no one else has already claimed dibs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome stuff. Will be playing the beta anyway but its good to hear they took the complaints to heart about netcode (glares at Namco...)
Now SFVI just needs to use an improved MvCI netcode as its base and we'll be moving in the right direction with Fighting game netcode (glares at Namco some more...)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, looks like they came up with those levels based on Japan pings.
Honestly, I would do it like that for if they want to keep their bars :

5 bars : 0 - 40
4 bars : 40 - 80
3 bars : 80 - 120
2 bars : 120 - 160
1 bars : 160 +

The way it is now makes me think they can't imagine a world where ping is above 100 ^^

Among the "currently known issues", this one seems the most problematic :

■Currently known issues
-Sometimes the game desyncs when rollback happens during a throw

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

Garou on ps4 is god tier, played a ton of online matches when they introduced the new netcode.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know if you can do private lobbies or will it just be quickplay? Can't wait to try out my hitbox with this.

Feb 15, 2019
Man I really wish Sony put in a bit more effort into controller support so I could've bought a Hitbox already to play this. I'm not paying 200 dollars + 75 dollars shipping for something that is not guaranteed to work when Ps4 inevitably gets dropped. So I'm not buying this until Hitbox finds a way to get it to work on Ps5.

Guess I'll just play this on stick then.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
No veterans complained the throws went from 1f to 2f in Guilty Gear Strive, it didn't matter much.

Yeah, they were too busy complaining about everything else.

It wouldn't be a big deal in KoF either ! I would take this anytime if it meant a better online stability.

Developers have said in interviews that preserving the core gameplay of the series is more important than the online experience.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Finger crossed they keep roughly the same lobby system than KoFXIV, it was nearly perfect.

Developers have said in interviews that preserving the core gameplay of the series is more important than the online experience.
Many things of the "core gameplay" changed since KoF94, so it doesn't mean much.