• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I'm curious, what were the early solicits like before the Krakoa era began? I literally jumped into HoX/PoX blind due to insane word of mouth, so I have no idea how they prepared the new age.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, what were the early solicits like before the Krakoa era began? I literally jumped into HoX/PoX blind due to insane word of mouth, so I have no idea how they prepared the new age.
The OP of this topic is basically what you're asking for. "The most important scene in the history of the X-men" and such.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fiege has never promoted the books at all and not even used the movies or marketing to promote the books.

To be fair, Gunn has a very open and two-way conversational style with fans and his entire thing is like...actually being present.

I don't think if Feige suddenly got a Twitter account and started marketing things, it would feel very organic. But maybe there's a different way he could promote the books, just not one that requires him to seem like an actual human person and not The Company, Personified.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, Gunn has a very open and two-way conversational style with fans and his entire thing is like...actually being present.

I don't think if Feige suddenly got a Twitter account and started marketing things, it would feel very organic. But maybe there's a different way he could promote the books, just not one that requires him to seem like an actual human person and not The Company, Personified.
I get it but like, c'mon man, use the pipeline for fucks sake

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get it but like, c'mon man, use the pipeline for fucks sake

Yeah. It's always been one of Marvel's greatest weaknesses hiding inside of their greatest strength. The overall alignment of everything USED to benefit the movies greatly, but at the expense of the comics, and now that the movies are in bad shape the comics are suffering for nothing.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. It's always been one of Marvel's greatest weaknesses hiding inside of their greatest strength. The overall alignment of everything USED to benefit the movies greatly, but at the expense of the comics, and now that the movies are in bad shape the comics are suffering for nothing.
Or the comics go overboard with the synergy and the movies actually adapt the silly stuff.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There was a conversation today on Twitter about how mutants must feel after things like terraforming Mars, conquering death and curing Alzheimer's to From the Ashes... and yeah.

I can't get it out of my head that the feeling must be like One More Day on an entire species scale.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While we didn't needed further escalation from all the Mars stuff and super Mutant culture, this back to status quo seems worse.

I really really dislike X-Men 97, it's turning back to an era that was carried by art, but the stories were never good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
While we didn't needed further escalation from all the Mars stuff and super Mutant culture, this back to status quo seems worse.

I really really dislike X-Men 97, it's turning back to an era that was carried by art, but the stories were never good.

I wouldn't blame the cartoon for the reset. I think the reality of the situation is that things were always going to "snap back" eventually, and they needed to rip the cord or some writer or another would keep finding excuses to delay the inevitable even further. For better and for worse, a LOT of people like to see mutants as a regular part of the Marvel universe, and it doesn't help that the sheer amount of "well you need to read this and this and this to understand this" aspects of the Krakoa era made it completely impenetrable for people who weren't in it for the long haul. Like even speaking as someone who's been an X-Men fan since the early 90s, I tried to make sense of all the Moira time loop shit and was just like "nope. I'm out". If I want to just read fun mutant stories it's really hard to find them in this sea of convoluted, incestuous plot logic and writers all having their own ideas about how the status quo should work. It's a headache. And I don't think there really was a way to fix it short of an entire full-setting Marvel "from scratch" reboot, which Marvel is not going to do because they aren't DC.

97 isn't a perfect show - it's paced very weirdly due to the short seasons - but I think for the most part its heart is in the right place in terms of trying to tell a RELEVANT mutant story for the era it's been released in. It's calling back to the 90s for sure, but the subject matter we're seeing actually depicted in the show couldn't possibly be more 2024.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the Krakoan era is ending soon, and I've just started a read of all of it. With Marvel Unlimited, I tried reading eeeeeverything, but I'm getting a little fatigued by some of the books. Is there a great critical path kind of reading list that you guys would recommend? I'm about 20 issues into the Marvel reading order listed at the end of each issue, after HoX and PoX.

DivineBlade

Jun 26, 2021

I get you not liking OZT, but it's also adapting and remixing stories like Inferno, E is For Extinction and Lifedeath, some of the most liked in X-Men's history.

I was excitedly for 97 at all as I don't have nostalgia for the original series but it's been such a pleasant surprise.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
I understand the Krakoan era is ending soon, and I've just started a read of all of it. With Marvel Unlimited, I tried reading eeeeeverything, but I'm getting a little fatigued by some of the books. Is there a great critical path kind of reading list that you guys would recommend? I'm about 20 issues into the Marvel reading order listed at the end of each issue, after HoX and PoX.
The first big event was X of Swords iirc.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I really liked this week X-Men, even if it still has that feeling of "let's close things and prepare From the Ashes." Very good moment between Kate and Wolverine.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I've been using this:

Generally if some of the side books are not doing anything for you after the first 5-6 issues, it's okay to drop them. Read what you like.

Feb 16, 2022
This week's X-Men had some funny moments, but good lord Duggan just completely gave up on the writing. Really doesn't help the rushed feeling of this whole end of the era. Even good writers would stumble when they're stretched so thin, Duggan barely writes decently on his normal workload.

It really saddens me how poorly this really cool, iconic era of the X-Men is ending.