Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Lowkey X-Factor would have been a lot more interesting if it was like an uncanny avengers lineup of mutant and non-mutant heroes. Replace Reyes with Binary and Xyber with Machine Man and add a furball like Tigra and that book would be a must read for me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

View: https://x.com/Marvel/status/1790064482263200216

Dazzler has to be a limited series or they are totally delusional.

Earth's Mightiest Mutant sounds like Storm is going to be the Avenger. The other options would be Jean (in space) and Iceman (ok, that's also possible, where is Bobby?). There are mutants more powerful than them, like Legion or Mister M, but they don't sound like Avengers-like.

And after all of X-Men Red with Storm saying "I'm not a queen", now of course she is again.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Earth's Mightiest Mutant sounds like Storm is going to be the Avenger. The other options would be Jean (in space) and Iceman (ok, that's also possible, where is Bobby?). There are mutants more powerful than them, like Legion or Mister M, but they don't sound like Avengers-like.

And after all of X-Men Red with Storm saying "I'm not a queen", now of course she is again.

I know it's PROBABLY Storm but seeing Exodus on an Avengers squad would get all my money

Edit: I'm also seeing Synch speculation and honestly that one works even better.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Exodus unfortunately seems like the first choice for "Evil mutants who can't get over Krakoa being gone and are very evil for not wanting to reintegrate into the fabulous American society" that Breevort commented.

I'd disagree, only because they did a pretty good job of rehabilitating his character during the Krakoa run. He's a religious zealot with Hope Summers as his "Messiah" and Hope basically left him to continue her work, as Jesus did with his apostles (and that comparison was literally made between the two of them).

"Be good when I'm gone, Exodus. Don't be an asshole" was her last directive to him.

He's not going to do a 180 and start robbing banks or advocating for genocide against humans. Not in his character. He'd sooner put his own eyes out than go against that order.

Synch aside, he definitely has a pretty good claim to "mightiest" on top of all that. Omega level TK and Alpha level TP that scales with faith is a WILDLY broken power set. I love Storm as much as the next guy but he was on a completely different level than everyone else during AXE.

Sticking him on a team as universally recognized as the Avengers as "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" could easily triple the kind of power output we saw out of him on Krakoa because of how his powers work. Dude would be casually splitting planets in half on the regular.

Edit: it's also probably worth mentioning that having Storm AND Thor on the same team is not only redundant (he has all her abilities to a greater degree) but also kind of broken since Storm has been established to be able to wield Mjolnir almost as effectively as Odinson does.

Putting Storm on the Avengers probably means no Thor- and I'm not sure they're ready to go that route.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'd disagree, only because they did a pretty good job of rehabilitating his character during the Krakoa run. He's a religious zealot with Hope Summers as his "Messiah" and Hope basically left him to continue her work, as Jesus did with his apostles (and that comparison was literally made between the two of them).

"Be good when I'm gone, Exodus. Don't be an asshole" was her last directive to him.

He's not going to do a 180 and start robbing banks or advocating for genocide against humans. Not in his character. He'd sooner put his own eyes out than go against that order.

Synch aside, he definitely has a pretty good claim to "mightiest" on top of all that. Omega level TK and Alpha level TP that scales with faith is a WILDLY broken power set. I love Storm as much as the next guy but he was on a completely different level than everyone else during AXE.

Sticking him on a team as universally recognized as the Avengers as "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" could easily triple the kind of power output we saw out of him on Krakoa because of how his powers work. Dude would be casually splitting planets in half on the regular.
I agree on paper with everything you say, but Breevort has been very clear that he wants some of the villains of the new era to be mutants who loved Krakoa and don't want to adapt back to the United States.

Exodus has had some great character development on Krakoa, but I expect a lot of it to be completely ignored in the new run (and not just with him).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I agree on paper with everything you say, but Breevort has been very clear that he wants some of the villains of the new era to be mutants who loved Krakoa and don't want to adapt back to the United States.

Exodus has had some great character development on Krakoa, but I expect a lot of it to be completely ignored in the new run (and not just with him).

Yeah I know that- but Exodus doesn't really make sense as one of those. He doesn't even love Krakoa that much. He's entirely devoted to what Hope wants to a fanatical degree, and Hope made her desires clear last week- so ignoring development THAT recent doesn't make sense. He can't be a villain with that directive and the retcon to how his powers work now doesn't really allow that role anyway. Going the villain route nerfs his powers.

Apocalypse, Shaw, Mystique, Vulcan, Lady Mastermind and Madelyne Pryor are all way better candidates for that, as is anyone on the "misfit" teams like Hellions or Dark X-Men.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah I know that- but Exodus doesn't really make sense as one of those. He doesn't even love Krakoa that much. He's entirely devoted to what Hope wants to a fanatical degree, and Hope made her desires clear last week. He can't be a villain (and the retcon to how his powers work now doesn't really allow that role anyway.)

Apocalypse, Shaw, Mystique, Vulcan, Lady Mastermind and Madelyne Pryor are all way better candidates for that, as is anyone on the "misfit" teams like Hellions or Dark X-Men.
I don't agree with that, I would say that Exodus loves Krakoa much more than Shaw, Mystique, Vulcan, Lady Mastermind or Maddie.

He can be a villain if he has a lot of evil mutant fanatics that don't want to live in the US, like the Acolytes before.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

Namor's tagline for a while was "Marvel's first and mightiest mutant".

As much as I'd love for it to be Synch or Storm, it's most likely Namor.

t3vagp2la3q41.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't agree with that, I would say that Exodus loves Krakoa much more than Shaw, Mystique, Vulcan, Lady Mastermind or Maddie.

To that I would say that Exodus doesn't love Krakoa, he loves his Messiah and that relationship is really clear. If she's not there, there's no point to Krakoa at all for him. Why bring it back?

He can be a villain if he has a lot of evil mutant fanatics that don't want to live in the US, like the Acolytes before.

Doesn't work that way. The retcon established that he needs to not just have followers, he needs to be well liked and/or loved- Hope using his powerset was vastly stronger than he was when she revealed this to him exactly for that reason.

Going back to the role he had when he led the Acolytes would bust his powers down to next to nothing now.

Edit: not saying it's definitely him on the Avengers squad, but moving him to villain isnt just inconsistent with his entire arc, it's inconsistent with stuff established less than a week ago.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Namor's tagline for a while was "Marvel's first and mightiest mutant".

As much as I'd love for it to be Synch or Storm, it's most likely Namor.

t3vagp2la3q41.jpg

Eh...that was 1993 though? It was questionable then, but Namor doesn't have anywhere near the claim to that title now.

Besides, he's been on and off that roster so many times I can't see how anyone would ever get excited about his inclusion.

Edit: this is also billed as a "from the ashes" tie in and Namor was explicitly not part of any of the Krakoa business or the X-books.

Double edit: Jason Aaron is doing a Namor miniseries (last King of Atlantis) this summer that has him contending with 7 other potential kings for the fate of Atlantis, so definitely not him.

Last edited:

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Eh...that was 1993 though? It was questionable then, but Namor doesn't have anywhere near the claim to that title now.

Besides, he's been on and off that roster so many times I can't see how anyone would ever get excited about his inclusion.

It being a disappointment is actually an argument in favor of it being true when looking at the rest of the reveals for the new Era thus far, IMO.

Don't get me wrong: I WANT it to be Iceman or Synch. I just don't think Breevort has it in him to allow for anything actually interesting.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
To that I would say that Exodus doesn't love Krakoa, he loves his Messiah and that relationship is really clear. If she's not there, there's no point to Krakoa at all for him. Why bring it back?

Doesn't work that way. The retcon established that he needs to not just have followers, he needs to be well liked and/or loved- Hope using his powerset was vastly stronger than he was when she revealed this to him exactly for that reason.

Going back to the role he had when he led the Acolytes would bust his powers down to next to nothing now.

Edit: not saying it's definitely him on the Avengers squad, but moving him to villain isnt just inconsistent with his entire arc, it's inconsistent with stuff established less than a week ago.
I think just the opposite, he loves Krakoa a ton. It's his Promised Land.

Also, Hope was written as a terrorist just before Krakoa, so Exodus can think that it's ok if he is a terrorist too.

Of course, there is going to be a lot of other mutants that are evil and wrong because they miss Krakoa

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It being a disappointment is actually an argument in favor of it being true when looking at the rest of the reveals for the new Era thus far, IMO.

Don't get me wrong: I WANT it to be Iceman or Synch. I just don't think Breevort has it in him to allow for anything actually interesting.

I'll give Breevort the benefit of the doubt. His recent run overseeing Avengers was solid enough.

Last King Of Atlantis means it's definitely not Namor though. That guy has bigger issues to deal with landing at the same time this does.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Knowing McKay and him wanting to capture the Shooter era vibes, I say Storm or Bobby.

It's almost definitely someone from the O-mutant list and someone who is on Earth right now (so no Mr M, Legion, Jean, Hope, or Monarch).

Magneto and Quentin are already on X-teams.

Proteus needs clone bodies to use his powers he doesn't have access to, so probably not him.

Elixir is mostly noncombatant and doesn't mesh well with an Avengers squad.

Vulcan is still insane I think? Definitely not him.

That leaves Storm, Bobby, and Exodus as suspiciously absent. Storm is the obvious frontrunner.

If we are looking past the Omega Mutant list, Synch and Rasputin IV are good candidates that are totally unaccounted for, though that last one would be very odd on an Avengers squad.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Rasputin strikes me as a character we'll see once a year at most, and if she does make a team, that book gets canceled in five issues.

Speaking of, Gwenpool should be an Avenger.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Rasputin strikes me as a character we'll see once a year at most, and if she does make a team, that book gets canceled in five issues.

Speaking of, Gwenpool should be an Avenger.

It's definitely an odd character to use. Laughably overpowered and trauma ridden from an alternate but also completely invalid timeline with absolutely no ties to anyone in 616 with the exception of Sinister....who she will murder on sight if she sees.

If you're not using her in a team book, it's not like she'd be off sunning herself on a beach somewhere.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
Storm's been an Avenger before though, usually when they are hyping someone joining a team you'd think it'd be someone who hasn't been on it already.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Storm's been an Avenger before though, usually when they are hyping someone joining a team you'd think it'd be someone who hasn't been on it already.
Storm was part of the Avengers for four issues or so, many people don't even remember.

Regarding Exodus, we cannot rule out the possibility of him winning "Heir of Apocalypse" and being the new Apocalypse of Earth.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
If the choices are between Synch, Iceman, Storm, and Rasputin. I would think it's probably iceman. He's a the only original X-man, we haven't seen assigned to any other book. Plus I am thinking about the time he basically saved the world on his own. He's definitely powerful enough to be an Avenger.

Honestly I think Synch and Rasputin should be put on a book together, and it's a shame Marvel isn't creating a new Generation X series, or an Uncanny Avengers type team for them to be on.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
If the choices are between Synch, Iceman, Storm, and Rasputin. I would think it's probably iceman. He's a the only original X-man, we haven't seen assigned to any other book. Plus I am thinking about the time he basically saved the world on his own. He's definitely powerful enough to be an Avenger.

Honestly I think Synch and Rasputin should be put on a book together, and it's a shame Marvel isn't creating a new Generation X series, or an Uncanny Avengers type team for them to be on.

The only thing that really holds me back from thinking it's bobby is that

1.) he's in the Omega category but always struggles to hit that potential, meaning "mightiest" is questionable here. His most recent series had him spend the entire mini trying to keep his body from falling apart with the assistance of his boyfriend. The conclusion of which had his body blasted to bits again by some d list scrub and bobby going on a journey of slowwwwly piecing himself back together again. Without some miracle recovery he shouldn't be in any shape to be joining an Avengers squad for months.

2.) speaking of his minis, he's had a couple of recent ones, neither of which really lit the world on fire and even though he was "on" the marauders book they literally did nothing with him. Hard to see him as any kind of draw for Avengers.

Synch makes way more sense- he was a back to back member of the primary X-Men squad, with several interesting storylines centered around him. He works really well in any team setting but isn't usually in the leadership role, which works well if (like Storm) you need to justify why He's taking
orders from Cap, Tony, T'challa, or Carol instead of leading the squad.

He's also been incredibly versatile in how the writers use him- my man has potentially every metahuman power on earth and then some. Solve the aging issue and he's not just strongest mutant, he's strongest hero period.

Like a handful of X-Men that got sidelined to the Council (Exodus, Magneto) or The Five (Hope, Proteus, Eva Bell, Goldballs) Synch is almost too damn powerful to stick on your typical X-team without trivializing every combat encounter. He DOES work well against Avengers level threats though.

Last edited:

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
The only thing that really holds me back from thinking it's bobby is that

1.) he's in the Omega category but always struggles to hit that potential, meaning "mightiest" is questionable here. His most recent series had him spend the entire mini trying to keep his body from falling apart with the assistance of his boyfriend. The conclusion of which had his body blasted to bits again by some d list scrub and bobby going on a journey of slowwwwly piecing himself back together again. Without some miracle recovery he shouldn't be in any shape to be joining an Avengers squad for months.

2.) speaking of his minis, he's had a couple of recent ones, neither of which really lit the world on fire and even though he was "on" the marauders book they literally did nothing with him. Hard to see him as any kind of draw for Avengers.

Synch makes way more sense- he was a back to back member of the primary X-Men squad, with several interesting storylines centered around him. He works really well in any team setting but isn't usually in the leadership role, which works well if (like Storm) you need to justify why He's taking
orders from Cap, Tony, T'challa, or Carol instead of leading the squad.

He's also been incredibly versatile in how the writers use him- my man has potentially every metahuman power on earth and then some. Solve the aging issue and he's not just strongest mutant, he's strongest hero period.

Like a handful of X-Men that got sidelined to the Council (Exodus, Magneto) or The Five (Hope, Proteus, Eva Bell, Goldballs) Synch is almost too damn powerful to stick on your typical X-team without trivializing every combat encounter. He DOES work well against Avengers level threats though.
I hope you're right, I really like Synch. Moving him to the Avengers could be really interesting because he is a powerhouse.

Quick side question for anyone who knows, was the Darwin storyline ever completed? Did he come up in that children of the vault mini?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I hope you're right, I really like Synch. Moving him to the Avengers could be really interesting because he is a powerhouse.

Quick side question for anyone who knows, was the Darwin storyline ever completed? Did he come up in that children of the vault mini?

1.) yes. Darwin's storyline is "complete" but where he is right now is anyone's guess.

2.) he was not part of the COTV miniseries, he was out of the vault by then.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Unless there's miscommunication this seems to heavily say that Kate is Kitty again entire thread is her being called Kitty
Good. She was Kitty for decades, there's no need to change her name after all that time. Lots of adults keep their childhood nicknames among friends and family when they grow up, it's hardly unusual. Iceman is still Bobby after all these years too.
In her early years Kitty also changed hero names like socks and Kitty was what she was called constantly so I think people associate her with that name much more than any other.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Now that I think of it, it's really easy to think of why Synch might end up getting recruited to the Avengers. With Blood Hunt going on, a bunch of heroes are either going to be dead, captured, or turned into vampires, meaning critical skill sets to fight those just might not be available.

Synch is able to act as a substitute for nearly anybody (or even several anybody's at once) in the event that happens.

Of course, Rasputin IV should be able to obliterate every damn vampire on earth singlehandedly- why is Blood Hunt even a thing? Vampire outbreaks on 616 is super stupid

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Synch as an Avenger would be great. For some reason I always thought he could only copy other mutants. Could he copy Thor?

Anyways…my guess is Magneto. The most powerful mutant and they are hyping this as a big reveal? I would think it's a bigger name character. He was shown I previous promotion art for the series and now isn't and Jed McCay is writing both series I believe.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Synch as an Avenger would be great. For some reason I always thought he could only copy other mutants. Could he copy Thor?

Synch got two power bumps after that children of the vault storyline. The first lets him copy from any metahuman, not just mutants. The second allows him to recall any power he's ever been exposed to even if that person isn't present. That IS stressful on his body and ages him, but synching to someone with a healing factor like X-23 cancels that out.

(Edit: he can also synch to just the DNA of an individual, they don't have to be alive or intact. This does not stress his system)

It was also established that synchs aura is "always on" and passively scanning his environment, so synch has access to the combined abilities of literally every mutant who has ever been on Krakoa in addition to anyone he's explicitly been seen on panel with.

There's not really a mutant you can argue is "stronger" than Synch is because of all that, especially given that he's been shown to be able to use more than one powerset at a time back in his Gen X days. This is why despite not having the Omega label, he does have a pretty good claim to "mightiest" here.

He can easily replicate the abilities of Omega Mutants so i would say "probably" to any abilities Thor has natively that don't come from outside power sources like Mjolnir or the Odinforce.

Anyways…my guess is Magneto. The most powerful mutant and they are hyping this as a big reveal? I would think it's a bigger name character. He was shown I previous promotion art for the series and now isn't and Jed McCay is writing both series I believe.

Magneto is on another X-Men team and wouldn't be doing double duty with the Avengers.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Good. She was Kitty for decades, there's no need to change her name after all that time. Lots of adults keep their childhood nicknames among friends and family when they grow up, it's hardly unusual. Iceman is still Bobby after all these years too.
In her early years Kitty also changed hero names like socks and Kitty was what she was called constantly so I think people associate her with that name much more than any other.

The change was done though, it's ridiculous to go back now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I love Storm, but this is a clear downgrade for her from regent of Arakko, and also makes her redundant on the team since Thor is already there.
They are recruiting her leadership skills in their fight against Kang.

www.marvel.com

Storm Joins the Avengers

Earth's Mightiest Heroes recruit Storm in 'Avengers' #17.

Because she is the mutant you recruit when you are facing a time-traveling villain, somehow.

They are doing again what happened in the 2000s of "Storm is too important for the mutant teams, let's take her around other places like Wakanda" that editorially damaged the character.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I hope it's not Storm or Synch because I don't want to be bullied into reading the Avengers like that

goddess dammit

I love Storm, but this is a clear downgrade for her from regent of Arakko, and also makes her redundant on the team since Thor is already there.

two Thors are better than one. more importantly, she has strong, longstanding relationships with Thor, T'Challa, and Carol. but I doubt any of that is expanded on much.

(and she wasn't just the regent of arakko but the voice of sol and they need to acknowledge that)

Last edited:

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Moving Schiti over to Avengers, eh? For the most part, I'm primarily just interested in X-Books, but I may take a look at that for the sake of the art when it hits Unlimited