cake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that I haven't seen The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue/Let Sleeping Corpses Lie before, so I'm pretty happy to start the night off with it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If y'all haven't seen this before, it starts a little slow but it ramps up to a crazy ending. It's definitely one of the most underrated zombie films ever.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I love how the set up to this movie is this dude just decides he's gonna do all the driving in this strangers car & she's like, okay, I'll go to sleep.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly love all of the Fulci films soundtracks. They're simple, cheesy, catchy, and awesome

I'd push back on "simple and cheesy", especially the Frizzi stuff. There's a great sense of utilizing soundscape in those compositions, the one for City of the Living Dead in particular is excellent and dripping with atmosphere. Lot of layers there.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd push back on "simple and cheesy", especially the Frizzi stuff. There's a great sense of utilizing soundscape in those compositions, the one for City of the Living Dead in particular is excellent and dripping with atmosphere. Lot of layers there.
Im not sure who actually wrote/performed it but the soundtrack on Zombi in particular really sets that movie in the right atmosphere in my opinion. That weird dissonance throughout is spooky as hell to me along with the primitive sounding drums and woodwinds.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure who actually wrote/performed it but the soundtrack on Zombi in particular really sets that movie in the right atmosphere in my opinion. That weird dissonance throughout is spooky as hell to me along with the primitive sounding drums and woodwinds.

Fabio Frizzi scored that one as well, him and Fulci were an amazing combo. He was on the first episode of this season as a guest (plus band!).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I'd never speak ill of Frizzi's work. By simple I meant mostly stuff like the theme of Zombie and City of the Living Dead being so similar. City wouldn't have been nearly as effective as it was without that main theme.

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the Zombie vs Shark scene from Zombi was just magnificent. Related to the current film, this is a cool scene with the flash going

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Going to have to agree with you there then. Zombi is definitely in the upper echelon of horror movie scores to me, I honestly think it should at least be mentioned in the same breath with the stuff Goblin did with Argento and Romero

I need to dive into Goblin's work more fully, they're legends in their own right for sure.

Oh I'd never speak ill of Frizzi's work. By simple I meant mostly stuff like the theme of Zombie and City of the Living Dead being so similar. City wouldn't have been nearly as effective as it was without that main theme.

Ah, gotcha, and agreed!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Picking one is so hard, but if pressed it'd probably be 28 Days Later. The Danny Boyle/Alex Garland/Cillian Murphy trifecta worked so unbelievably well there, and the way they realized post outbreak London plus the English countryside bits made for one of the most immersive films I've seen, zombie related or not.

Its hard to beat the OG Dawn of the Dead for the classics, but I've grown partial to Messiah of Evil even if that's kinda more vampiric in nature but it has a lot of zombie trope vibes in how the "infected" are presented.

Cabal Return is a good shout, that holds up as one of the best under rewatches. Its just so fun with the perfect amount of camp and great casting.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
What is everyone's favorite zombie movie if you HAD to pick one?
I didn't grow up watching horror, so there's a special place in my heart for Zach Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. After The Ring, it was really the first film to make me realize (then just into my twenties) that I might like horror movies.

I've only ever seen the original Dawn in a muddy YouTube upload years ago. I keep hoping for a stateside release after the Second Sight release in the UK a couple years back, but no luck so far.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I didn't grow up watching horror, so there's a special place in my heart for Zach Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. After The Ring, it was really the first film to make me realize (then just into my twenties) that I might like horror movies.

I've only ever seen the original Dawn in a muddy YouTube upload years ago. I keep hoping for a stateside release after the Second Sight release in the UK a couple years back, but no luck so far.
I like Snyder's Dawn just fine. It's not Romero's but I'm glad it's so different really.

Maybe import the original Dawn, I bought this 4k Blu-ray of it last year on Amazon US, the UK transfer is amazing, and it worked fine on my PS5

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I like Snyder's Dawn just fine. It's not Romero's but I'm glad it's so different really.

Maybe import the original Dawn, I bought this 4k Blu-ray of it last year on Amazon US, the UK transfer is amazing, and it worked fine on my PS5

Seconding that 4K of the original Dawn. Absolutely gorgeous, and 4K discs have no region lock, so you can watch it on any 4K player.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Seconding that 4K of the original Dawn. Absolutely gorgeous, and 4K discs have no region lock, so you can watch it on any 4K player.

Didn't know this, gonna have to go hunting for more limited release uhds like this. Bought the Kenneth Anger collection awhile ago and while that wasn't UHD it worked on my PS5 fine as well.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap that letter. It's incredible that JBB and Darcy has been such an positive influence and refuge for people over the years to share and express themselves.

What is everyone's favorite zombie movie if you HAD to pick one?

For ones going for scary, 28 Days Later. Absolutely harrowing between moments of humanity and lead by the wonderful Cillian Murphy. Also slow zombies aren't scary for me at all. But in general, Shaun of the Dead is one of my top 5 movies overall so gotta go with that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. Don't make me choose. If I had to choose one at this moment, I'd say Planet Terror. I have so many fond memories of watching that film with friends and it was the first film I'd seen at a drive in.

Seeing that at a drive in must have been great. The first date I had with my SO was seeing Grindhouse with her at a college town theater, we both loved it. Great memory. Josh Brolin was perfectly cast, chews the scenery like none other. Watching Jeff Fahey's character obsess over his Texas bbq with Michael Bienn begging for the recipe throughout is hilarious. Such a fun movie.