• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me so sad. Factions was absolutely magnificent and I was really hoping to have TLOUII mechanics transfer over to a new Factions, would have been incredible.

I'm glad they're focusing on SP, and pleasantly surprised they confirmed they're working on more than one right now (Part III and New IP?). But my question is, why couldn't they do both?
Why not ramp up the studio to support a live service title AND work on the SP games?

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many new games we'd have had from ND in the last few years if they didn't spend a lot of their time over that period working on a doomed MP game and a remake of a 9 year old game
Their last game released 3.5 years ago and the next new game hasn't even been announced. It's hard not to imagine what could have been if they didn't waste time and resources on Factions.

But a Naughty Dog set back 3+ years is better than a Naughty Dog live service machine that would never release a single player game again. I just wish they could have released a pared down version of what they have. Unless there were other issues with it I'm sure it would have been fun.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
The negative playtest makes me think that this project just wasn't resonating for how they conceive of the franchise now. Given the increased exposure because of the show, releasing a multiplayer shooter doesn't resonate with (1) the rest of their storytelling or (2) the current tonality of the show and accompanying media.

The right thing to do was probably to spin it off into another IP, but they'd already gone so far down one road, it didn't make sense to expend a bunch of resources on something that wasn't a lock to sell 10 million copies. After all, Bruce Straley isn't there to save the day anymore.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
Huge waste of time and resources for one of the best studios going around. Wtf were they thinking at Sony.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being honest the 'It was gonna be great but we're choosing to do single player stuff instead' smells of PR spin, kinda odd to see a lot of people take that at face value because it's what they want to hear.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How do you know that? What roles were identified as being required? Did you cross reference the 1000's of people who have been made redundant this year alone to see if their skills match?

You appear to have assumed there's no matching talent on the market in a year where entire studios are being shut down. It's a bad take my man.

As for not being able to skill up in a timely manner, that's a complete failure of management at ND and Sony but understandable if they've lurched from a MP game they're well versed in supporting to a GaaS model and haven't realised about all the extra artists and programmers they'll need, let alone support teams to plan and run it long term. I'd argue that this should have become blindingly obvious in the design stage seeing as there's existing games they can model on but sometimes you park the hard questions/decisions until it's too late.
I could say the same for your assumptions. You don't know geographical locations for folks, what their roles are etc to assume that you can magically ramp up new hires in excess of 500+ for a NA based studio. It's HARD to find the right fitting pieces for these kinds of long haul projects.

MrY2K

Aug 30, 2023
They say more than one single player game so Part 3 and New IP both being worked on at once?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can't blame them. Just a few days ago The Division 2 released a trailer about addressing game stability as among their Year 5 goals.

Hopefully, like with Uncharted 4, they can salvage some of the concepts and assets and for a head start on TLOU3.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't meant to be and they explicitly state that it would have taken resources away from their singleplayer projects, so… I'm glad it's gone!

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all of Sony's live service projects this one seemed like it had the best chance at success and interesting that ND said they would become a live service studio if they proceeded with this project..I remember people arguing that they had spun out a team exclusively for their multiplayer project while another could work on a single player project simultaneously I guess that wasn't the case

That's exactly what they did

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
fuck man, was really looking forward to this.

At the very least, if they had to decide between SP and MP, then SP all the way. Thank goodness for that. But yeah still a bit disappointed. I miss ND MP modes (someone PLS make an Uncharted with MP mode)

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully no one loses their jobs, but I'm very happy about this. Naughty Dog should focus on what they do better than almost anyone else in this industry, super fun single player experiences

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane.

People just wanted a fun mode not a fucking live service for YEARS.

But now basically the studio has been wasted on last of us fucking products for basically a decade till the next IP if we luck out. Insane.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I don't believe the "We stopped because we wanna focus on single-player stuff you want!" at all lol. Thats just a easy way for them to scrap the project and keep good will with the fans.

Also it's a big shame that almost all MP modes have to be some sort of GaaS/live-service thing these days. Why couldn't this just be a good MP mode with some simple progression added onto the 2 like the roguelite mode was? Its a bummer

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest they must be cooking up some special stuff if they're dropping what would have been a mega cash cow.
Or, they couldn't make a GaaS work, like they said, because to support it would mean turning their studio into a content mill just for that GaaS, you know, like they said.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sony's "pivot to GaaS" continues to go from strength to strength.

It's almost like they have a world class stable of AAAA prestige single player developers and they should stick to what they're good at.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm honestly very glad ND isn't becoming a gaas studio, also two singleplayer games!! hopefully they'll show us what they've been working on next year

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
To be honest they must be cooking up some special stuff if they're dropping what would have been a mega cash cow.
The news basically has them saying that it wouldn't have been a mega cash cow because they don't have the resources to support it post launch unless they just abandon their single player output, and no support = game dead after a couple of months.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm sorry they went that far down the road on it but to hear them say what they've learned can be applied to future endeavours is good.. not a total waste of time then.

It's a win if it avoids them becoming another studio chasing GAAS lightning in a bottle. It's getting crowded and bloody and oversaturated. If anyone could have done it and in an interesting way, ND could have - but it is nice in a sense that a studio read the runes and realised what they'd have to become

Sony may be at fault for pushing so many of their teams in this direction

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Can they put the remaining multiplayer team on patching an updated Factions into TLOU remake. It could live on forever on PC y'know

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Since it's cancelled, here's a main menu pic from it I had lying around.

63058b7b50509968220b827580db3320.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe the "We stopped because we wanna focus on single-player stuff you want!" at all lol. Thats just a easy way for them to scrap the project and keep good will with the fans.
I mean there is nothing really to say that reason isn't valid. Their next single player games are going to be huge, and this GAAS game would have equally been a massive undertaking. They had to pick one.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Cancellations are devastating in this industry right now, from a studio output standpoint. We're not getting a ND game til 2026 at best...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible to just release a multiplayer game/mode with a good number of maps and then just... let it be complete? Not every multiplayer game needs to be a GAAS. Not that this is something I think Naughty Dog should be focussing on, just a general observation.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get why they didn't just make factions 2. Not everything needs to be live service. Hell everything being live service actually makes it harder for me to find room to fit games into the schedule. I'm juggling enough as it is.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
All I'm hoping is that they retain w/e staff they've had for this MP project, maybe some elements is incorporated in their future project.

Moreover, it's better to stop before it's too late and you're obliged to keep sustaining and sinking resources into a project you don't believe in. On the other hand, I wonder how much the scope of the project got ballooned for it to never materialize as a product. Really unfortunate. Now I wist that TLOU P2 Remake's No return mode had some co-op element as you could pick different characters.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sucks because I definitely wanted to play a refined version of Factions, with the improvements made in Part II, but if it is indeed true that the MP project would've heavily impacted development of their SP titles, then canceling it is definitely the way to go. SP is where ND shines.

Hopefully down the line they can repurpose what was developed into a nice, smaller MP game that doesn't need to be updated as frequently as a GaaS title.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The news basically has them saying that it wouldn't have been a mega cash cow because they don't have the resources to support it post launch unless they just abandon their single player output, and no support = game dead after a couple of months.
Right I'm saying they chose on their principles as a single player studio. They could have focused on Factions at the detriment to their single player and probably would have been more profitable than they have ever been, but they chose single player. That's rad.