• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Not really. It's not very good but it's okay if you have the h/w to handle it.
The crashes are either due to bad OC or lack of VRAM - game seem to want 12GB cards no matter the resolution.
The stuttering issues are due to CPU limitations.
It is kinda similar to UC collection but heavier.

Not imo in early chapter, getting 70-80fps on my 3080 with everything maxed out at 3840x1644 21:9 DLSS performance mode. Had some crashing but after i swap out the older oolde dll file everything is fine.
Cheers lads. Looks like I will test it out and if its bad I will refund or keep for later

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Thought Iron Galaxy did the port, but this being ND is even more disappointing.

tlou.png
Woah was not expecting this

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

Dead Space had some issues but was otherwise a decent port. This game is straight-up busted for a ton of people, hence the mostly negative reviews. People didn't just randomly decide to review DS more positively, they actually had a better experience with the game.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
At 1080p ultra it looks for 10GB of vram.

10GB for 1080p.

It's a resource hog and the game isn't really doing anything special. It's a nice looking game, but for a resource hungry game I usually expect RT or giant environments.
Yeah they should've optimized VRAM (and RAM) usage quite a bit more. As it is it basically leaves 8GB cards owners in the dust since even if it will run on these cards it will likely crash or stutter.

Screenshot2023032904.png

One thing I find really weird is that it reserve 5GBs (!!!) of VRAM for "Windows+apps" on my 4090 apparently. This is laughably overkill as even in 4K Windows doesn't consume more than 1GB and you can run Doom Eternal in the other 4...

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Those with 4090: are you using DLSS quality or disabling scaling for native res?

I'm currently in Prologue chapter and the differences in FPS vary wildly depending on scene. I'm in the middle of the kitchen and looking towards the fridge - FPS is similar between DLSS quality and scaling disabled (with native res of 3840x1600) between 120 and 130fps. When I turn around and face the living room, scaling disabled drops to like 90-some-odd while DLSS quality is 20-30fps higher; I guess I'll leave on DLSS quality.

Also, just for fun I went 200 scaling and dropped into the 30-40s, lol.

It appears we have a game here already making the 4090 work for it and I'm not even at 4K. Plus, I'm in a custom loop with a 600W BIOS on the card and max voltage and power limit (with 13700K @ 5.9Ghz and DDR5-6400). Kind of crazy because all the other AAA games I play aren't really even making the card sweat but it reminds me that no matter how powerful a card is, software that will start taxing it is typically right around the corner. Of course, I can't say for certain how much of this might be improved with better optimization in the game.

Lastly: the suggestion of unlocking frames in-game and using RTSS to lock seems to have resolved camera stutter for me as well.

Last edited:

MikeKlump

Oct 30, 2017
California
Getting constant crashes. Putting this down until fixes come. Major bummer.

Thinking this was delayed for other reasons besides timing with the TV series.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I replaced the Oodle Decompression Library 2.9.6 version with the 2.9.5 version and I'm up and running nicely.
No stutters, 70-100fps maxed settings. 13900k/4090/32GB DDR5 5600

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Those with 4090: are you using DLSS quality or disabling scaling for native res?
DLSS is faster but there is some apparent image break up (seen on transparencies most prominently) in motion which isn't present with game's own TAA.
Generally if you're GPU limited with DLSS then DLSS is a good option. If not then native may be a better option - or capping the framerate at some level which you will hit 90% of the time with DLSS.

It appears we have a game here already making the 4090 work for it and I'm not even at 4K.
Yeah well you don't lose much by dropping from Ultra to Medium (leaving textures on Ultra) so that sweating goes into something which is hard to see. Like harder than RT in Elder Ring probably.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm on Nvidia version 531.41 which is supposed to have DLSS support but I don't see any option in the menu. Just default and FSR2.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
>8GB for 1080 is dumb specially for a PS4* game
While the performance is horrible, I keep seeing PS3 and PS4 game thrown around like that means it should be an easy game to run. They did fully remake all of the assets and lighting, etc, even if the bones underneath are the same. The game is quite hefty even on PS5 where ND is much better at working on (obviously). It'd be like saying Dead Space Remake should run as well as the original did.

Unfortunately it's just another in a line of bad PC ports that will keep being common as cross-gen goes away and there is no longer a lowest common denominator to force devs to optimize for lower spec or a wide range of HW. I sadly expect Jedi Survivor to be a mess as well.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Used the updated .dll. Building shaders at 5%. So it begins.

If I minimize this and watch something will shaders continue to build?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm currently in Prologue chapter and the differences in FPS vary wildly depending on scene. I'm in the middle of the kitchen and looking towards the fridge - FPS is similar between DLSS quality and scaling disabled (with native res of 3840x1600) between 120 and 130fps. When I turn around and face the living room, scaling disabled drops to like 90-some-odd while DLSS quality is 20-30fps higher; I guess I'll leave on DLSS quality.
I also noticed wildly fluctuating framerates in the opening area but I attributed it to the mirrors placed around the house. I had G-Sync Quality on the whole time.

The framerate variance isn't the big issue for me. Even though I'm at 80 FPS or higher in the opening area, the camera movement is stuttery as hell on a controller. Again, this is with G-Sync enabled. It just feels bad to play.

Last edited:

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
This thread feels like the twilight zone. I hear it's bad but it's been running perfectly for 3 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
...It is also fairly impressive technically as the load is almost even on all cores most of the time. No ST limit in sight. It is mostly running at ~24%/42% for MT/ST on my 5900X/4090 so 24% overall load with ST peaking at about 42%. Sometimes it spikes up to ~40/60 though - likely during background assets loading which require CPU decompression...

Putting other port-related issues aside for a moment, this actually seems like a noteworthy result (if it holds up for you): a game that actually utilizes multiple cores well, and avoids single-thread performance bottlenecks. I don't recall seeing such a balanced load distribution across all cores in any other game I've played. I wonder if you've come across something like this before?

Your post piqued my interest, so I decided to give it a try with my 5950X/3090 Ti/32GB RAM/NVMe setup. I just completed shader compilation, which took 24 minutes on the 5950X. Loading time (first time loading a new game; then quit to main menu, loaded a new game again) was a quite a bit longer compared to other recent games like RE4 and Forspoken. And at first glance, it appears to require just as much VRAM as Forspoken and even more system RAM (I wasn't expecting to see that anytime soon).

Fortunately seems not be a problem on my setup, but I'd imagine those RAM/VRAM demands would account for quite a few of the problems folks are having.

Can't actually play myself (beyond shader compilation and the opening cinematic) until later, but that CPU utilization stuff was def worth highlighting, appreciate your detailed notes.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I also noticed wildly fluctuating framerates in the opening area but I attributed it to the mirrors placed around the house. I had G-Sync Quality on the whole time.

The framerate variance isn't the big issue for me. Even though I'm at 80 FPS or higher in the opening area, the camera movement is stuttery as hell on a controller. Again, this is with G-Sync enabled. It just feels bad to play.
Leave the in game frame rate unlocked.

Lock to your monitor refresh rate using Nvidia control panel or rtss

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not as well optimized as I'd like, but I would have taken even the remastered version to play it on PC.

Megustaelmate

Sep 4, 2022
ya...theres def a leak or something going on..i can play for like an hour 120fps 4k no issues then it just crashes. 5 crashes in 3 hours....gonna wait for patch.

sucks cause the game looks absolutely stunning in 4k.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
"Clickers bark to echolocate, if you stand in front of their bark they will "see" you"

I've played the game 5+ times since the ps3 release and on every platform and never realized this 😅

Thanks tooltip!

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm seeing reports that if you have enough ram/vram this actually runs fine. Lowering graphics settings for cards with 8-10gb of vram. I'm really looking forward to this game, so I'll wait to hear more reports from different outlets.

regular 6800 is running 36% better than a 3070 at ultra settings at 1440p

sdornan

Oct 27, 2017
The game ran okay on Steam Deck at first, but now that I'm further in (skyscraper) it's running awfully (sub-30 fps). Unacceptable.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
"Clickers bark to echolocate, if you stand in front of their bark they will "see" you"

I've played the game 5+ times since the ps3 release and on every platform and never realized this 😅

Thanks tooltip!
Fun fact: that actually wasn't a thing in the original PS3 version (and I think the PS4 version as well). In those, despite it being said that clickers used echolocation to find prey, you could stand still in front of one while it clicked and be totally fine as long as you didn't move. They fixed it in Part II and then carried it into Part I.

At least, if my memory is right.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Ignore the brightness in the image - I have HDR enabled which fucks up screen caps. I'm now in the Quarantine Zone level and performance has plummeted and this is a 4090 hitting almost 3Ghz on core:

TDSfeP.png

Did you try the suggestion in the thread? Unlock framerate in-game but lock in RTSS?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the 2.9.5 Oodle DLL, made exactly zero difference in either performance or RAM/VRAM consumption.

Putting other port-related issues aside for a moment, this actually seems like a noteworthy result (if it holds up for you)
It does but the game runs into a hard CPU limit on my 5900X at around 150 fps anyway, and I'm assuming that stutters I'm seeing in scenes with lots of moving actors (like some scenes during the car ride and then when you run through the town) are also CPU induced.
So despite the fact that the game does well at loading all 12C/24Ts it still can be CPU limited at fps higher than 80.
I've tried locking it to 90 (with RTSS) and used DLSS P to check what this will do and while it does improve overall frametime stability a lot it is still not perfect - there are still scenes which go below 90 and visibly stutter.
60 would be close to a full lock I guess. But running the game with DLSS P (so 1440p'ish due to reconstruction costs) at 60 on a 4090 is... strange when the game runs at 60 on a PS5 in 1440p. That's about 9 times (!!!) slower GPU. The game definitely have some optimization issues.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I have to agree with the general state of PC games the last couple of years. When I saw the reviews and this thread, since I had already bought a copy I figured I would give it a go for my friends even though I just beat it again along with the show.

Now when I say this, I'm just contributing to the conversation. I'm not downplaying all the very real issues people are are having, and I've seen enough high end hardware users with issues to know it's not just the large amount of intense settings that people think they should be able to use. Now with all that said, I am not having really any issues with the game at 1440 with everything maxed and no dlss. Which, man it's a looker even without HDR. I'll be interested in the DF comparison video between settings. Although it is kind of weird sitting close to the screen for a TLoU game.

Ryzen 5900x
3080ti
32gb ram @3600

Opening which given what is happening I figure should be up there in intensity stayed 60-80fps, mainly around the high 60s. Indoors 90-100. (Edit - I had actually did some shadowplay recording and it did drop to 56fps for a bit at one time).

Had two in-game hangs that were visible, and really I didn't feel there was any rhyme or reason behind them. One may have been when an npc opened a door. Another was in a pretty particle heavy area. Noticed my ram usage was quite a bit higher there as well.

Only played for a little over an hour (quit when I left town) so can't speak for the crashes people are having over time, but it is interesting that the game defaulted its settings for me above the vram of my card (although I think it's system estimate of vram usage is prob off).

22 minutes of shader comp was a bit absurd. Definitely gave my cooler a workout as it hit above 80c a few times as the CPU was frequently going full speed. I thought Monster Hunter Rise was bad. Turned down film grain a few notches too, as while it wasn't horrible sitting 6ft away, it'sa little too grainy for my tastes when you're only a few feet away.

Once again, not saying this to discredit or anything and hopefully it will be a quick turnaround on fixes because this is my favorite game of all time and I really want folks who haven't played it to get to enjoy it.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yo what are y'all 3080 10GB users putting for settings? I tried high, performance DLSS, but VRAM issues. Tried mixing a bit of medium for heavy settings, still VRAM crashes. Anyone got a list? It runs fine even at High but crashes all over every scene transition.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
jumped in before the shaders finished compiling and finding the 'Please wait...' pauses in the middle of cutscenes pretty funny lol

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Yo what are y'all 3080 10GB users putting for settings? I tried high, performance DLSS, but VRAM issues. Tried mixing a bit of medium for heavy settings, still VRAM crashes. Anyone got a list? It runs fine even at High but crashes all over every scene transition.

All high settings with balanced DLSS has been working perfect for me. Try turning down all the textures to medium if you're still crashing.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
All high settings with balanced DLSS has been working perfect for me. Try turning down all the textures to medium if you're still crashing.

I put High with DLSS performance, 5900x, 64GB still crashing over here. And then I started tweaking some shadow settings to medium, but it ain't working! Res? 4K, UW, 1440?

Put Volumetrics, Point Lights Shadow, directional shadow, visual effects, environments texture all at medium - going to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
The dll. File was supposed to speed up the building shaders process? It sure doesn't feel like it. My first time booting the game and after 5-6 minutes I'm only at 10%.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
LOL
Nakeyjakey released this less than 2 weeks ago

So on point

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fji_71hOQs&ab_channel=NakeyJakey

This thread feels like the twilight zone. I hear it's bad but it's been running perfectly for 3 hours.

Check out those reviews

store.steampowered.com

The Last of Us™ Part I on Steam

Experience the emotional storytelling and unforgettable characters in The Last of Us™, winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Of all the PC ports to fuck up, this is the one they had to get absolutely right.

It's funny because it has more options than almost anything on PC, but at its core it's a poorly optimized port.

I think I'd rather have well optimized PC port with limited options, over one with a ton of options but poor optimization.

JOtGzDl.png

I don't even understand what happened here. How can this game require over 30GB of system resources between VRAM and RAM? That's like half the install size of the game.