• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
images

I never noticed the girl on the left's surname before...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
So uh, I checked the Metacritic and it's already whooping 79 reviews submitted with freaking

96 METACRITIC

currently...?

😶👀

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I'm excited by how polarising TLOU2 seems to be. Sounds like there's plenty to chew on. The unscored reviews seem to really tear into it. Very intrigued and can't wait to make up my own mind.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, there's just hundreds more reviewers.

Parasite: average score was 93 and overall 99% were positive on it.

The 'I need there to be reviews that align with my preconceived notions' thing that always happens in review threads is such a weird phenomenon
I mean it more akin to a film by a certain director always scoring 95%. ND are not the only ones, look at Rockstar. How the hell did a game as flawed as RDR 2 score a 97?

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the GameSpot review. They weren't afraid to critique the game knowing they'll get backslash. The first Last of Us is the most overrated game of all time in my opinion. It looks like this one is following its footsteps.

All of gamespot criticism is over the violence (which is valid) but at the same time subjective

In regards to the actual game, they were full of praise

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Man there was so much FUD and concern trolls saying that Naughty Dog was bleeding talent with the lost of Bruce Straley, Amy Hennig, etc and are on their way down in terms of quality. But with this game reviewing better than U4 and the original TLOU, I think we can put those concerns to rest.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where is the diverse opinions ? Great movies tend to have a wider breadth of critique.

Such as? There are countless incredible movies that don't have this breadth of criticism you speak of, including ones that were a creative inspiration for this very game (No Country for Old Men and Children of Men), that's sort of how aggregates work.

Hell, I'd argue what are widely regarded as some of the best movies ever made (Godfather, Godfather Part II, Shashank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas etc) have near unanimous praise.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The most critical unscored reviews are unscored because some reason or is it just that outlet doesn't offer scored reviews anymore? (which I would agree with)

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such as? There are countless incredible movies that don't have this breadth of criticism you speak of, including ones that were creative inspiration for this very game (No Country for Old Men and Children of Men), that's sort of how aggregates work.

Hell, I'd argue what are widely regarded as some of the best movies ever made (Godfather, Godfather Part II, Shashank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas etc) have near unanimous praise.
Yes, they do. But you don't (or very seldom) see such praise for a every single movie a director makes.

Nov 2, 2018
I actually think even a 93 or 94 is very high in this climate. Critics this gen have been relatively scathing.

Total bollocks, sorry.

In the last 3 months, while under lockdown, I have introduced two non-gamer room mates to Naughty Dog's games. These are people who literally never played a videogame, barring perhaps Spyro on a sibling's console in 1996 when they were very young. They had no memory, interest, or nostalgia for games. And they were both film-buffs with cinema subscriptions who watched every Oscar-winning release every year, etc.

They were absolutely blown away by The Last of Us and Uncharted 4. Absolutely blown away; it was a formative experience for them.

Common phrases I heard while they played:
"Wow, I can just go there?"
"The feeling of being this guy is so empowering. I'm this big, tough, scary man."
"Yes! I beat him! I actually got better!"
"Would I have missed that?" (Answer: yes)
"This is so much more intense than a movie."

Maybe you never got this sensation while playing their games, but I also would hazard a guess that you are a seasoned or "hardcore" gamer who has already played tens or hundreds of games and set your expectations for what a "good videogame" is and what you expect from it. I'd hazard that anything outside of the framework you've built over years, maybe decades, of gaming will not fit your vision of what a game is. (And that is fine, by the way.)

But after watching these non-gamers try ND's games, it was clear that ND's titles are absolutely great videogames even if player-agency and reactivity isn't a priority at a high-level.

Even if a videogame is linear and non-dynamic, the symbolic act of both controlling and watching the content on screen is powerful and immediately separates the medium from cinema. You may be desensitized to this fact, but it is a fact. The player becomes both actor and audience in a videogame, immersing them and embodying them in the world more than any medium except maybe literature, which is cognitive embodyment. Playing a protagonist on-screen differentiates these experiences entirely from having a gamepad in your hands and

This post man 👏

I'll add that if you took a Naughty Dog Game, gutted the story, you are still left with a polished GAME.

Games that have far better gunplay than Red Red Redemption 2, for one, a game which I loved immensely, but in the many of the 10 page reviews I read people couldn't stop talking about the American experience or some bollocks long enough to tell me that the shooting controls a bit naff.

The Last of Us is a very polished third person shooter, with sound design of the guns second to no one last gen. It blends action gameplay and stealth better than any game (including Metal Gear Solid) other than perhaps Dishonored. What other TPS has a melee system which automatically interacts with almost everything in the environment? There is an amazing feeling of progression not seen since RE4 in my opinion where Joel starts off struggling and ends up a walking tank badass. It's a great fucking game. Having an amazing story and presentation doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The human race did not breakdown in these time periods.
The countries were it happened did, however. It's precisely a defining trait of humanity how while those places were being consumed by war, sickness, corruption, genocide, poverty and all the possible calamities one could name, the civilized West just looked away and still does.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So happy for ND.

After all the shit they've been through between old employees trying to call them out, to people pretending to know what it's like to work there, to alt-right trolls trying to take them down, to even super-left people making assumptions about the game before even playing it, the game finally comes out and is this fucking good, is just, *chef's kiss forever*.

They've been getting hammered on all sides, and now they finally get the pay off for having to stay chill all this time. Can't fucking wait to experience it myself.

Posts like these are why some of the developers said they wanted one of these games to fail critically for once. Like, come on, a game getting good reviews does not negate all of the criticism surrounding the making of said game. That's not how things work lol

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
yeah, I thought that the violence is meant to make the player feel uncomfortable. I know I did at times but nevere did I ever feel like it was unnecessary.

It ultimately serves the story. I didnt have a single problem with it. It was unpleasant sometimes, but I knew it had to be done that way. I get that some people just couldnt get over it.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Man there was so much FUD and concern trolls saying that Naughty Dog was bleeding talent with the lost of Bruce Straley, Amy Hennig, etc and are on their way down in terms of quality. But with this game reviewing better than U4 and the original TLOU, I think we can put those concerns to rest.
Well console warring and gamergating is one hell of a drug.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Reading the reviews and I guess I didn't realize
This is so on the nose it's crazy the game actually does it.

EaS9BtWU8AErWfF

Hmm, I was under the impression you could complete the game without killing a dog. Anthony Newman (co-game director) reportedly said to Polygon last year:

Newman was quick to note that it is absolutely possible to complete the game without harming a single dog. But that approach makes the game much, much harder.

Assuming the scene the reviewer mentions is unavoidable, sounds like that sentiment changed from the time of that interview and the game going gold. Granted this scene mentioned happens in a cutscene/QTE rather than 'true' gameplay, but to someone like me who always struggles dealing with 'attack dogs' in games (or any form of violence/cruelty towards dogs), it's tough for me personally to see a distinction.

I like the concept that avoiding killing/harming dogs makes the gameplay more challenging, but a forced scene of having to kill one will definitely be hard for me to get through. I'm not necessarily arguing that such a scene shouldn't be in the game if ND feels that moment is necessary for the story, but it's just my own personal challenge of dealing with those type of moments across life and different forms of media.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've just watched the Kinda Funny review and I've never seen them gush about a game as much as they have about this one. Now I'm debating whether to wait for the PS5, even though nothing is announced, just so I can experience this thing in the best way possible.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited by how polarising TLOU2 seems to be. Sounds like there's plenty to chew on. The unscored reviews seem to really tear into it. Very intrigued and can't wait to make up my own mind.

Yep, this. Polarizing views is not a bad thing at all, this major acclaim is something that usually only happens in games and most of the time it feels artificial.

I'm glad for these reviews to put my hype in check. The reasons they have for their non-enjoyment are well put, but they don't seem to affect me as much. It all depends of how the story tells it.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I've just watched the Kinda Funny review and I've never seen them gush about a game as much as they have about this one. Now I'm debating whether to wait for the PS5, even though nothing is announced, just so I can experience this thing in the best way possible.
Who was in on it? I don't want any TLOU2 stuff in my viewing history right now.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The score is fantastic but doesn't show everything. There are a lot of very positive reviews for this that mention things people won't like. RDR2 was a fantastically reviewed game with a similar metacritic score. Would you say that's not polarising?
It was polarising with fans not with critcs. Who knows if this will be the same?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they do. But you don't (or very seldom) see such praise for a every single movie a director makes.

There are still a handful, eg Scorsese, Tarantino, Speilberg, Nolan, Kubrick, Fincher, Del Toro etc. ND (along with several other studios or directors) would essentially be akin to a video game equivalent of one of those.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

Polarising? It's universally acclaimed!

If you mean polarising because of the views of the small number of haters this game has attracted, lots of whom are disingenuous and have problems with this game from day 1 because it's 'SJW' or a Sony exclusive, then I'd ignore them people completely. I've ignored all that noise, nasty tactics of spreading spoilers etc and will dive in fresh.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Sony will handle the inevitable PS5 port. Will they be decent about it and provide a digital copy to owners of the PS4 version who get a PS5?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Then why let you stealth and bypass murder? Should not the game turn you back and say "can't progress until you've murdered enough living beings"? If not, well... if i am not naturally motivated to do what she does, when something contrary happens in a cutscene I am not feeling what she is. I'm just watching her. Right? Isn't that how interactivity goes? The game should motivate you to play like she does. If it lets you play differently, isn't that saying something? If it's dedicated to telling an important story in an interactive medium, and it gives you that freedom to define her actions, when should a game matter? When you play it? Or when you don't?
I believe that you should stop playing linear narrative driven games then

TloU 2 is not the first nor the last of this type of game

I'll go a little further : stop playing games for good

You'll find narrative dissonance everywhere. In RDR 2, you can get filthy rich, it wont matter to the story.

If you werent able to feel what Ellie feels and to absorb what the game is trying to say, that's alright. The game is not for you.

That doesnt mean that the game SHOULD be for you

That's entitled as fuck.

No piece of art is for everyone