Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying review threads aren't a bastion for maturity to be calling other people children when people do the exact same shit here for less. Not specifically you, but Era as a whole.

Truth is this review thread is much calmer than i thought it would be until that drama.
Part of that is thanks to Era not allow the BS that other places allowing .

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
do you think seeing a reviewers gameplay could impact how seriously you take their opinion

QLtYOFD.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I've not always been a fan of Jason.

But hes not come across wrong here at all.

People thinking he wanted the game to do bad or has issues because of his article are in the wrong here imo.

People dismissing crunch culture are suspect too.

Now people can't talk anything about Jason because of crunch culture?

He overreacted and started a drama because of a film comparison, saying Jeff compared to the holocaust itself. That's a really big thing.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
That's such a good review, definitely one of my faves with this one

www.wired.com

'Last of Us Part II' Is Great, but Can't Escape Its Father's Shadow

'The Last of Us' was the quintessential dad game. Its sequel is destined to be the archetype of something else: the daughter game.
Wow, that review is fucking incredible. It tells you so much about the flaws and the strengths of the game without getting into the plot. What an excellent metaphor to use as the basis.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Have we even seen reviewers gameplay at this point? All the video reviews contain the exact same snippets.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Anyway this game seems like it's going to be talked about for years, just like the first game. So glad to hear the story has touched a lot of people, that was really the only part of the game I was concerned about.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That would be true if he wasn't talking about a personal experience, he was referring to how two forms of media similarly affected him emotionally. It's just weird because i feel like if a fictional movie were to be compared to schindlers list people would understand they're talking about the MOVIE not the actual events of schindlers list. But because it's a video game everyone wants to jump all over it. He even said a "game about zombies" as if Part II is hollow emotionally.

I think the bolded is the issue. And I don't want this to just be about the drama, but rather so often whenever a movie that is based on or references historical events is compared to something entirely fictional there is pretty much always some amount of people that just assume the comparison is made between the events the movie is based on. Or even if it's not based on real events so often parallels are made to real world events. Like Room is an incredible film and it's writing is better and more complex than God of War 2018, but if somebody wanted to make a comparison about the difficulty in raising a child and how to deal with emotional trauma and help them heal I wouldn't scream, "this is ridiculous God of War is a kill stuff simulator" sort of pithy comment. I would, I hope, engage in a thoughtful discussion about what those two pieces of entertainment have to say about a very difficult subject.
Ironic that MGSV is one of the very, very few games to truly live up to its subtitle.

I just wish it didn't have to live up to its subtitle in this manner haha.

I still loved the game but it's sad that my favorite part was calling a close friend during the first trailer (that we didn't know was a MGS trailer) and discuss if it might be MGS and what it could mean for an hour. Literally only Metal Gear Solid has ever done that!

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
For god's sake, leave this discussion out of this thread, I know mods closed the thread about this subject but it's not like people have to use this one for this. We should talk about The Last of us 2 reviews, not moral attitude from developers and journalists.

Plum

May 31, 2018
you can literally go back 1/2 pages and see how people are trying to talk about the game and the posts are swallowed up by this drama lol

I even asked about what people are saying about the level design and got no answers whatsoever lol

I'll ask again, see if it works this time:

One of my gripes with the original was how 'gamey' the level design was when it came to stealth/shooting sections. Often with very obvious boxes and waist-high barriers in random places that signposted "a combat section is coming up." Has that been improved upon in this game?

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
do you think seeing a reviewers gameplay could impact how seriously you take their opinion

QLtYOFD.gif
i mean we all have those days were our shots are off but god damn thats embarrassing, why would you even share this footage? Unless they are intentionally missing to demonstrate the reticle assist feature

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

QLtYOFD.gif

I'm not sure this was from a reviewer or? Some random gameplay uploaded to Youtube. But yeah it's hard for me to take Giant Bomb seriously after watching them trying to play Death Stranding for example

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly? I've given this a lot of thought and I think if I had said something mean you would have a point. But I said: "Hyperbole is fun and all but if you're thinking about comparing the new zombie video game to a movie about the Holocaust mayyyyybe hit the brakes" which is just about the most innocuous piece of criticism one can dish out. If a public figure can't take that and think about it rather than immediately freaking out and calling it manufacturing outrage, I dunno, I'm not sure what to say.

I am sorry but I see a whole lot of contradictions just in this message of yours. I follow your work as well and think a lot your pieces are insightful.

Coming to the actual topic, you claim your criticism and publicly ridiculing his tweet innocuous, but cannot take his comparison in the same way. That is it being a simple innocuous comparison of a great movie to a game, that he thought was great? Secondly, saying a public figure should be able to take it, while you yourself time and again just ban people, who try to rationalize or point out the same thing in such tweets of yours. One can just go to the twitter thread of this tweet to see multiple examples, where few users, in a very civil way, pointed it out and got blocked by you.

I am sorry to say but I just see hypocrisy in this. But end of the day you have the freedom to conduct yourself as you see fit. Blanket statements are very easy to throw around and I feel it's better for people to once in a while step back and see the bigger picture. Peace.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

QLtYOFD.gif

Where is this from? Lol. Really poor aim. Should wait for the recoil to subside and then calmly refocus their aim, not spam shoot haphazardly.

On your point, absolutely.

This is going to sound harsh and condescending, but there's been several times where I've watched streams, let's plays etc of journos or YT personalities playing games (shooters, racing games etc), and then their complaints about the game suddenly make sense, and often times it's not the game that's the issue, but the persons skill level or aptitude to use the multitude of mechanics, mobility or tools a game provides them with.

I also find some gamers on stream will often not properly read tips, tutorial messages etc, and then not know a certain option or ability exists (thus souring their gameplay experience), or complain about its omission later.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

QLtYOFD.gif

That is just sad lol.
But yes seeing how reviews play do effect what i think about certain parts of there review .
Like for eg when it comes to fighting games i don't take much review serious when they talk about gameplay .

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Yes, Edge has been taken into account, but there were also a couple of perfect scores to keep it at a solid 96.
That's pretty dope!
Truth is this review thread is much calmer than i thought it would be until that drama.
Part of that is thanks to Era not allow the BS that other places allowing .
I don't frequent a lot of review threads, but from what I've read they're usually shitholes. I don't know if TLOU2 would've been considered a standard Era review thread, but I was relatively surprised at how calm it was lol. Like the biggest subject matters that were discussed here have largely been an excerpt from the Polygon review, killing dogs trained to kill, movies, and whether or not so-and-so's review will bring down the game's absolutely stellar meta by a point LOL.

Now we got this twitter drama over a comparison that keeps going over people's heads, with a rush of new people who have previously never contributed in this thread.

QLtYOFD.gif
Omg who is playing here

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think the bolded is the issue. And I don't want this to just be about the drama, but rather so often whenever a movie that is based on or references historical events is compared to something entirely fictional there is pretty much always some amount of people that just assume the comparison is made between the events the movie is based on. Or even if it's not based on real events so often parallels are made to real world events. Like Room is an incredible film and it's writing is better and more complex than God of War 2018, but if somebody wanted to make a comparison about the difficulty in raising a child and how to deal with emotional trauma and help them heal I wouldn't scream, "this is ridiculous God of War is a kill stuff simulator" sort of pithy comment. I would, I hope, engage in a thoughtful discussion about what those two pieces of entertainment have to say about a ve

I still loved the game but it's sad that my favorite part was calling a close friend during the first trailer (that we didn't know was a MGS trailer) and discuss if it might be MGS and what it could mean for an hour. Literally only Metal Gear Solid has ever done that!
I'm just sad that the Kojima's immense improvements in cinematography coincided with two of his worst stories so far.

Seriously. Some of the cutscenes in MGSV are my favorite ever in a game. But it's no coincidence that these cutscenes happen to be ones that have very little focus on the plot.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I think the bolded is the issue. And I don't want this to just be about the drama, but rather so often whenever a movie that is based on or references historical events is compared to something entirely fictional there is pretty much always some amount of people that just assume the comparison is made between the events the movie is based on. Or even if it's not based on real events so often parallels are made to real world events. Like Room is an incredible film and it's writing is better and more complex than God of War 2018, but if somebody wanted to make a comparison about the difficulty in raising a child and how to deal with emotional trauma and help them heal I wouldn't scream, "this is ridiculous God of War is a kill stuff simulator" sort of pithy comment. I would, I hope, engage in a thoughtful discussion about what those two pieces of entertainment have to say about a ve

Agreed! I think certain topics just generate an innate emotional response from people before they even think about what message the person may have been trying to convey. Still Jeff should have chose his words more carefully.

edit: sorry for assisting in derailing the thread, this will be my last post discussing the topic. Back to Part II!

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
I even asked about what people are saying about the level design and got no answers whatsoever lol

One of my gripes with the original was how 'gamey' the level design was when it came to stealth/shooting sections. Often with very obvious boxes and waist-high barriers in random places that signposted "a combat section is coming up." Has that been improved upon in this game?

Digital Foundry mentioned this exact point and said it is much improved.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
the real problem with the comparision between the last of us part two and schindlers list is that it is an unfair comparision. the last of us part two is obviously the way better media content to consume having two more metascore points more and all

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Well she can jump and climb and go under things now so i guess it can't be as bad as part 1 i hope.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Not played it myself ofc, but from videos I've seen it seems to be improved due to being more open, plus the extra mobility options mean that you don't necessarily need a ton of waist-high cover all over the place.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019

QLtYOFD.gif
I played the first one soon after I got my PS3, and I was terrible at aiming with a controller. I didn't enjoy my experience at all lol.

Then I played the remaster on ps4, with way more hours of practice, and holy shit I enjoyed that.

So yeah, I can totally see how a poor skill can ruin a game. But if you're a good reviewer, that shouldn't impact your assessment of gameplay.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
how is discussing the director of the games thin skinned response to people reacting to the hyperbole of the reviews for this game not on topic lmao

if only there was a seperate thread to discuss it 🙃

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say The Last of Us is easily as good as the best zombie media in recent memory (Walking Dead, Kingdom, 28 Days Later, Train To Busan, etc). SOMA is a fantastic sci-fi horror story regardless of medium. Outer Wilds and Heaven's Vault captures the mysteries of the abyss better than most modern space films I can think of. Kane & Lynch Dog Days has an awesomely scuzzy b-movie/crime exploitation plot. And so on

Humanistic dramas arent the only genre of film that exist
Nah 28 days later i don't think so.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018