• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
No spoilers please.

Just beat cold Steel 1 on ps4 and moved onto cold steel 2 for ps4.
Just wondering, are the graphics better in cs3? Does it look like a decent ps4 game or just a much better looking Vita game?

I don't even want to look at a single screenshot. Have not seen a pixel of footage of this game and want to keep it like that.
I'm just curious what the jump from Vita to ps4 looks like.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You mean the frequency or the price? I've always been under the impression the latter are decided by Falcom themselves.
it's a bit confusing how the price is said, xseed has alluded to it being Falcom yeah but they probably also know that when someone finishes FC for cheap the chance they'll buy SC and 3rd for more is a lot higher. One thijgn we do know though is that xseed has tried getting them as a bundle on steam but never could work somethijng out for some reason.
No spoilers please.

Just wondering, are the graphics better in cs3? Does it look like a decent ps4 game or just a much better looking Vita game?

I don't even want to look at a single screenshot. Have not seen a pixel of footage of this game and want to keep it like that.
it looks a lot better, falcom was slow to adapt to 3D cameras but every game is a giant step forward for them as a small development team

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
No spoilers please.

Let's just say I am pretty sure a Vita would combust running CS3. Which is why it's not on Vita (well.... Also because who releases stuff on Vita in 2017/18).

Seriously though, it's the same engine as the first two games from what I heard, but they were able to do a lot more - and I mean A LOT MORE - with it because they had no Vita hardware limitations. Most people say it's more of a level of Ps3-graphics though. I would personally say it's slightly above that. That being said, the art style and attention to detail in the world makes it look better than the sum of its graphic effects. So yeah, a huge step up for the series in graphic terms and whilst I am not familiar with other Falcom series, people say it's their best in terms of graphics.

I guess that's how I would describe it without posting a Screenshot.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
it's a bit confusing how the price is said, xseed has alluded to it being Falcom yeah but they probably also know that when someone finishes FC for cheap the chance they'll buy SC and 3rd for more is a lot higher. One thijgn we do know though is that xseed has tried getting them as a bundle on steam but never could work somethijng out for some reason.
I remember that.

If Falcom has any input with those kinds of decisions I'd imagine they would be very against bundling games together at a reduced price, which is really the only reason anyone would care about a digital bundle.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
They're good games brent
Never said otherwise. I even platinum them despite not caring much about trophies.
I just found them lacking comparing to previous entries.
For me:
The3rd = Ao > SC > Zero >>> Sen II=FC>>>>>Sen I

Sen II ending and final chapters are amazing and they go full crazy, but it doesn't make up for all the filler and boring chapters both Cold Steel games have. And even if ended up enjoying class VII, they can't really compare to Stelle or the SSS. And of course Kevin. Kevin is just the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acquiescence

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad it's doing well. I have the option to go ps4 or pc. I have every other cold steel and trails game on pc so I figured I could at least wait a bit to see if there's a pc announcement while I play literally the backlog of other 2019 games I still have to play hahaha. But I'm most definitely going to play this at some point. Cold Steel 1 and 2 are among my favorite rpgs.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so damn hyped for Tuesday. I have two days off to dive in. This series has taken over as my favorite rpg series.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I'm so damn hyped for Tuesday. I have two days off to dive in. This series has taken over as my favorite rpg series.

Haha I can't take off because one of my colleagues in my team already did and we can't be off at the same time... But i sure as heck told my boss I would be working from home so I don't have to waste time getting ready and presentable that day beyond the usual hygiene (I am a woman and I work in PR so I need to be basically ready for impromptu TV interviews any time I actually am at the office and just getting ready eats SO MUCH TIME).

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I feel for you. I report directly to our department's director, so I don't take much time off, and almost always in short sets of time. But he also is a geek and understood my enthusiasm and told me to enjoy myself.

Hope you can enjoy it as much as possible on Tuesday!

Oct 25, 2017
it looks a lot better, falcom was slow to adapt to 3D cameras but every game is a giant step forward for them as a small development team

Hmmm, I honestly don't see much difference between cs1 and 2 in terms of graphics and animation.
Also, the ps4 port of cs2 runs like complete dogshit in some dungeons. Like, 5 fps shit. Not even joking.

Let's just say I am pretty sure a Vita would combust running CS3. Which is why it's not on Vita (well.... Also because who releases stuff on Vita in 2017/18).

Seriously though, it's the same engine as the first two games from what I heard, but they were able to do a lot more - and I mean A LOT MORE - with it because they had no Vita hardware limitations. Most people say it's more of a level of Ps3-graphics though. I would personally say it's slightly above that. That being said, the art style and attention to detail in the world makes it look better than the sum of its graphic effects. So yeah, a huge step up for the series in graphic terms and whilst I am not familiar with other Falcom series, people say it's their best in terms of graphics.

Great, thanks. Yeah, it's a small company, so I'm not expecting red dead 2 obviously. But cs1 looks like a handheld game stretched to a console. Stiff animations and super flat textures.
Biggest sticking point for me are the mouths. Just these little moving jpegs.

At the end of the day though, I'm here for the characters and story, so it's not a deal breaker.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
No spoilers please.

Visually, the game looks much better. Animations in cutscenes are still a janky mess, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Visually, the game looks much better. Animations in cutscenes are still a janky mess, though.

One step forward I guess.

Only on Pro. Base PS4 ran at a smooth 60 fps.

That.............makes no sense, lol.

Thats too bad because its honestly really really bad. Its that gas shit that is fucking it all up. If you point the camera so its looking down on you, it runs perfectly.

Too bad they can remove the gas from ps4 pro. I'd gladly remove that for smooth framerate.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a percentage you can provide, with regards to how many dungeons are affected?

Also, how long is a typical dungeon?

Yeah, I'd like this too.

Mind you, at the end of the day, its not the worst thing in the world because it is turn based. So you select your enemy, and it drops to 7fps, but it doesn't really affect your gameplay.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a percentage you can provide, with regards to how many dungeons are affected?

Also, how long is a typical dungeon?
If I am remembering correctly , for Cold Steel 2, it is most of the dungeons in the 2nd half affected. First half was fine with no drops, second half a good 40% i experienced frame drops, at those moments i put on high speed mode and just rushed through.

A typical dungeon (depending on your team's level and set up) could run anywhere from 10/15 mins to 2-3 hours (late game). I basically had a broken Rean and Broken Laura on my team at all times whenever possible. so im sure my times arent accurate.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
About 15mins - 30mins
If I am remembering correctly , for Cold Steel 2, it is most of the dungeons in the 2nd half affected. First half was fine with no drops, second half a good 40% i experienced frame drops, at those moments i put on high speed mode and just rushed through.

A typical dungeon (depending on your team's level and set up) could run anywhere from 10/15 mins to 2-3 hours (late game). I basically had a broken Rean and Broken Laura on my team at all times whenever possible. so im sure my times arent accurate.
Thank you for the responses, those timings seem very manageable.

I'll be sure to field an OP Rean and Laura on my teams as well, lol

Yeah, I'd like this too.

Mind you, at the end of the day, its not the worst thing in the world because it is turn based. So you select your enemy, and it drops to 7fps, but it doesn't really affect your gameplay.
Excellent point, considering it's turn-based.

Turn-Based + High Speed Mode seems to be the best way to deal with the game, especially during the second half.

Hopefully the PS5 can remedy this shit via BC.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the responses, those timings seem very manageable.

I'll be sure to field an OP Rean and Laura on my teams as well, lol

Do be warned, do this and you remove most of the games challenge. For instance with an attack boost, the right Master Quartz, an S-Break and a certain move Rean can one-shot nearly everything. Only a few bosses survive which Laura can then finish off.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I know this isn't a Cold Steel 2 thread but I've tried Googling and couldn't really find a concrete answer.

With the technical issues in 2, would be it better to get the PS3 version instead of PS4? Are there other improvements to the PS4 version that make it worth dealing with some weird FPS issues on the pro?

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do be warned, do this and you remove most of the games challenge. For instance with an attack boost, the right Master Quartz, an S-Break and a certain move Rean can one-shot nearly everything. Only a few bosses survive which Laura can then finish off.
Same with Laura. This does remove some of the challenges. However, others still exist. I had fun doing it like this. It sort of fit with the lore

Last edited:

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I know this isn't a Cold Steel 2 thread but I've tried Googling and couldn't really find a concrete answer.

With the technical issues in 2, would be it better to get the PS3 version instead of PS4? Are there other improvements to the PS4 version that make it worth dealing with some weird FPS issues on the pro?
The English PS4 release adds a lot of extra voice acting, though same also holds true for PC. According to the Steam store page it's " 50% more lines of English voice-overs have been added to the PC release".

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Haha, I feel for you. I report directly to our department's director, so I don't take much time off, and almost always in short sets of time. But he also is a geek and understood my enthusiasm and told me to enjoy myself.

Hope you can enjoy it as much as possible on Tuesday!

Mine isn't a geek, but fortunately if I don't ask about it too often, they do not ask my reasons. I can just list them as personal. Lol and I really mostly only do this 4-5 times a year so...

Whilst I am very restricted in when I can actually take time off, the number of paid leave days would be considered ridiculously high by US standards. But alas, I live in Germany and we have rather extensive employee protection laws compared to most other countries. I did get to take 3 days off for Breath of the Wild in 2017, so I have done it before, taking off for gaming that is :P

Anyways, that was a little aside, I hope you have lots of fun too! Even if you take two days off, with these games God knows even in 2 days' time you'll only scratch the surface. :P

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Mine isn't a geek, but fortunately if I don't ask about it too often, they do not ask my reasons. I can just list them as personal. Lol and I really mostly only do this 4-5 times a year so...

Whilst I am very restricted in when I can actually take time off, the number of paid leave days would be considered ridiculously high by US standards. But alas, I live in Germany and we have rather extensive employee protection laws compared to most other countries. I did get to take 3 days off for Breath of the Wild in 2017, so I have done it before, taking off for gaming that is :P

Anyways, that was a little aside, I hope you have lots of fun too! Even if you take two days off, with these games God knows even in 2 days' time you'll only scratch the surface. :P

I get 3 weeks of paid time off each year, not including sick time... I just need to spread it around and not be egregious about it due to my position, haha.

Yeah, 2 days isn't a ton of time for these games... But I'll still probably pour at least 30 hours into them over that time. Bank on it, I wouldn't be surprised if by EOD on Wednesday I haven't cracked the 35-40 hour mark, haha.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I get 3 weeks of paid time off each year, not including sick time... I just need to spread it around and not be egregious about it due to my position, haha.

Yeah, 2 days isn't a ton of time for these games... But I'll still probably pour at least 30 hours into them over that time. Bank on it, I wouldn't be surprised if by EOD on Wednesday I haven't cracked the 35-40 hour mark, haha.

Yeah see... 3 weeks would be considered much in the US from what I hear... It's below law mandated minimum here (that is 20 days in a 5-day-week and 24 days in a 6-day-week). I also hear sick days not being included is considered good in the US... Including them is illegal in Germany the first place. I could go on about how I think from my (to most people probably rather spoiled) perspective, most countries' employee protection laws don't even deserve that name but alas, that is not the topic of this thread, so back to the topic at hand.

35-40 hours? That's not a lot of sleep in under 48 hours, I do sleep a lot compared to other people admittedly, but make sure to take care of yourself OK? šŸ˜‰

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BTW is there a guide for 3 already in English anywhere online?
there is a translated one I found the other day, but its not a fully complete guide and still in progress. first few chapters are solid, but it just falls off after chapter 3 and only goes bits and pieces. google "cold steel 3 guide" and it should come up.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there is a translated one I found the other day, but its not a fully complete guide and still in progress. first few chapters are solid, but it just falls off after chapter 3 and only goes bits and pieces. google "cold steel 3 guide" and it should come up.
Damn. With so many hidden quests in 2 and all the help I got with planning and tips I think I found my main reason to hold up and wait for pc or a few months on ps4 until a full walk through is done

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. With so many hidden quests in 2 and all the help I got with planning and tips I think I found my main reason to hold up and wait for pc or a few months on ps4 until a full walk through is done
To be upfront, the vast majoriy (if not all of them) are indicated by the map already. you just need to revisit the area at a later time and the map points out a green explaination mark or green star. I did miss a few in my 100 hour playthrough so thats why i went looking for a guide and while its incomplete, it was the best one i found.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah see... 3 weeks would be considered much in the US from what I hear... It's below law mandated minimum here (that is 20 days in a 5-day-week and 24 days in a 6-day-week). I also hear sick days not being included is considered good in the US... Including them is illegal in Germany the first place. I could go on about how I think from my (to most people probably rather spoiled) perspective, most countries' employee protection laws don't even deserve that name but alas, that is not the topic of this thread, so back to the topic at hand.

35-40 hours? That's not a lot of sleep in under 48 hours, I do sleep a lot compared to other people admittedly, but make sure to take care of yourself OK? šŸ˜‰

I sleep from 1:30-6:10, on a normal workday - former insomniac, so I don't sleep very much. I'd sleep less, if I could get away with it, but I don't want to push my luck.

I make sure to take care of myself, rest assured! I'm not looking to spend the two days back on after game time completely burnt out, haha.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
1. Can I play it without even knowing about earlier entries? (I just know the name, besides that, I dont know ANYTHING about this).

2. How long is it?

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not from what I know. I was just hoping they'd have it next year or the year after.

Got my hopes up lol. I hope the sales of this one pushes for a localization effort and official announcement sooner rather than later.

1. Can I play it without even knowing about earlier entries? (I just know the name, besides that, I dont know ANYTHING about this).

2. How long is it?

1. You can play anything without previous knowledge about anything. For a more story answer, have an understanding of CS1 and CS2 story known. The game includes a through backstory section to get caught up. I only say CS1 and CS2 because while previous games in the franchise all link up here, this game is still largely erebonia, Class VII and Rean's story.

2. 70-100+ hours depending on what you are aiming for as you play.