• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am wondering what is best to focus on? More hearts or stamina? I currently have 7 hearts and yet to fight one of the divine dudes as I was getting my arse kicked so went off to get more health etc.

Any tips? Where can I get some ancient cores for upgrades?

Cheers.
I'm on my 3rd playthrough right now. First things I do once off the plateau are unlock two fairy fountains and get hestu to the forest (and myself).

Upgrade wise, I'm sticking with 3 hearts until I have a second stamina wheel.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I am wondering what is best to focus on? More hearts or stamina? I currently have 7 hearts and yet to fight one of the divine dudes as I was getting my arse kicked so went off to get more health etc.

Any tips? Where can I get some ancient cores for upgrades?

Cheers.
Focus on what you want. You can change it at any time if you made a mistake if you visit Hateno Village. (Talk to the kid with the glasses. I won't spoil it.) What I did is I alternated myself. Heart, Stamina, Heart, Stamina until my Stamina was maxed out.

Cores come from most of the robot enemies. But they're rare. Especially the larger ones. You can also find them in some chests in shrines. The ultimate goal is to get enough to make the Ancient Armor and power it up so you become an Ancient killing machine. Remember that the blue ancient weapons and shields work best against them. And you can make Ancient arrows at the same place you get the armor. I don't know how far in you are so I don't want to spoil anything. You'll know it when you find it.

Frasier.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on my 3rd playthrough right now. First things I do once off the plateau are unlock two fairy fountains and get hestu to the forest (and myself).

Upgrade wise, I'm sticking with 3 hearts until I have a second stamina wheel.

Focus on what you want. You can change it at any time if you made a mistake if you visit Hateno Village. (Talk to the kid with the glasses. I won't spoil it.) What I did is I alternated myself. Heart, Stamina, Heart, Stamina until my Stamina was maxed out.

Cores come from most of the robot enemies. But they're rare. Especially the larger ones. You can also find them in some chests in shrines. The ultimate goal is to get enough to make the Ancient Armor and power it up so you become an Ancient killing machine. Remember that the blue ancient weapons and shields work best against them. And you can make Ancient arrows at the same place you get the armor. I don't know how far in you are so I don't want to spoil anything. You'll know it when you find it.

Frasier.

Cheers, much appreciated.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao, i just got to a shrine where a woman asks you not to step on her flowers, she got SUPER MAD when i did it a few times
i spotted this shrine from the twin shrines that each have the solution for the other, that was a cool idea

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Cheers, much appreciated.
Sometimes you have to defeat like a dozen ancient robots to get one core. So have fun! Memorize all the places they hang out and kill every one you can. Whatever you can to get that armor which will make it easier later.

lmao, i just got to a shrine where a woman asks you not to step on her flowers, she got SUPER MAD when i did it a few times
i spotted this shrine from the twin shrines that each have the solution for the other, that was a cool idea
Flowerblight Ganon is the hardest boss.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished this game. Been playing the last couple of weeks but, before that, I hadn't really messed with it since last July. This post may get wordy, but I hope you guys won't mind me sharing some thoughts as I finally wrapped this one up.

So I'll just get this out of the way to start. I didn't really care for this game at launch. I didn't like, what I perceived to be, the lack of story. I felt like it was piss easy and by extension wasn't really motivated to find shrines or explore after a certain point.

Then DLC 1 hit and I immediately jumped ship on my normal playthrough (having freed 3 divine beasts) and started Master Mode. I ignored nearly everything on this run until I had enough hearts for the Master Sword. After getting it and seeing how quickly it broke on Master Mode, I just put the game down. I figured I'd just wait for the 2nd DLC to hit before bothering to try this again. And that's where the game sat.

So when I started to play again a few weeks ago I figured the first thing I should do was Trial of the Sword. I thought this would give me an unbreakable Master Sword, which would counter one of my big criticisms with the game. Of course, trial doesn't actually do that, Master Mode is challenging and Trial of the Sword even moreso. So this was probably the worst way to get back into things. But I dove into the deep end and came out on top after a little trial and error. The Master Sword still broke, but it was way stronger and more reliable. I then set out to free the divine beasts and clear all the shrines. I also made sure to pick up all the memories in my travels.

Some thoughts about this portion of the game: For the most part, the shrines were very fun. I especially enjoyed the ones that involved solving environmental puzzles before the shrine would appear. On the flip side, the apparatus puzzles made me want to kill someone. The motion controls never felt good to me and also having to flip or manipulate the same joycon that you also had to press buttons on to get off the apparatus was...ugh. Fuck those.

Anyways, the Divine Beasts themselves were pretty fun. I remember on my initial playthrough I wished they had been more substantial, like traditional Zelda dungeons. On my replay though I tried to think of each region as a dungeon with the Divine Beast just being part of it. That helped, though I still wish they had been longer or at least more visually unique inside.

The reward you get for all 120 shrines was quite cool and I made sure to fully upgrade it before visiting Ganon. The memories and the 2nd DLC really helped the lack of story aspect. That said, I wish there were more characters as interesting as Zelda and the Champions that were actually...you know...alive or present during the game.

So with a full powered Master Sword, fully upgraded Garb of the Wild and my trusty Hylian Shield I set out again for the castle to see this thing through to the end.

The two Ganon fights were really impressive overall. I feel like the horseback section in Twilight Princess was more epic, but I haven't played that game in years. In any case the fight was great, the bow was cool and it was a very satisfying final boss. The ending kind of sucked, or at least it would have had I not sought out the memories. That post credit scene really gave some nice closure to everything. I'm under the impression that scene doesn't play otherwise.

So I think overall, my opinion on this game has changed since I first played it. Master Mode helped me see the value of exploration as weapons and materials were all the more important. Trial of the Sword was a lovely challenge that really made the Master Sword feel like it was supposed to. And Champions Balad helped flesh out the most compelling (to me) characters the game had. I like the game a great deal more, and respect the choices the devs made more, even though I still disagree with some of those choices.

So yeah, fun game, probably not my favorite Zelda still...but close believe it or not. Just wanted to share some thoughts since everyone I know has been long done with this one.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it has been mentioned but Twitch is currently playing BOTW and I have no idea how they're going to beat any shrines or get off the great plateau.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well that's going to be something.

Edit: Ugh, fuck this shit. Some asshole named derbaggen has teleported them out of the shrine they're in multiple times right after they get near the end. Fuck it. Why the hell is there no report function for Twitch users? Especially in an interactive stream like this. There aren't any mods either right now. It takes like a half hour to get through the shrine and this asshat pastes the same command in every time they finally place the metal plate as a ramp to the end of the shrine.

And now some new troll just did the same fucking thing.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a link to what Aonuma said about the direction for the next Zelda? I recall him saying how it'd be similar to Breath of the Wild or something along those lines.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the labyrinth island was super cool. i decided to do the DLC quests and i loved that quest, the vibe, the music, and getting to the shrine and dropping down to find yourself in a guardian graveyard. the graveyard was like something out of a fumito ueda game. and then taking the treasure and have a bunch of them wake up and their lasers point at you.
definitely one of the best parts of the game i've encountered yet.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Got my Switch two days ago. I've already put a decent amount of time into this game, but

Quick question: Hearts or Stamina? What's more important? Hearts because of combat?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Stamina all the way. You can always get more hearts easily through food. You will want stamina to explore the overworld easily and climb some cliffs.

Syn23

Nov 21, 2017
Stamina till you get the second ring.
Then hearts until you have enough.
I would suggest getting 13... ; )
Then stamina till you get the third ring.
And then the last hearts.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Stamina all the way. You can always get more hearts easily through food. You will want stamina to explore the overworld easily and climb some cliffs.

Stamina till you get the second ring.
Then hearts until you have enough.
I would suggest getting 13... ; )
Then stamina till you get the third ring.
And then the last hearts.
Thanks.

Should I sell my Amber, Opal, Luminous Stone, Topaz and Diamond?

Last edited:

Syn23

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks.

Keep all the Diamonds.
Also keep the other stones, unless you really need rupees. If you want some of the more powerful armor upgrades, you're gonna need those stones.

There are a couple way to grind rupees quite fast if you really need to, but I would suggest not to use them until you've beaten Ganon. I'm sure some other resetera users would suggest not to use them at all.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

You can get more quite easily, and you don't really need that many for non-amiibo armor upgrades (besides Luminous Stones). Don't feel like you have to hoard them, but maybe just only sell them when you have something specific in mind you want to buy? I wouldn't worry much about it.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Completed my first Divine Beast today.

This is currently my Link:
img_20180511_1148114vrf3.jpg

One of those stone walls in Zora described a hidden treasure located up north in a lake with 4 letters. My guess is Toto Lake or what it is called. Think it mentioned a helmet or what? Could be the missing Zora gear for my head :)

Keep all the Diamonds.
Also keep the other stones, unless you really need rupees. If you want some of the more powerful armor upgrades, you're gonna need those stones.

There are a couple way to grind rupees quite fast if you really need to, but I would suggest not to use them until you've beaten Ganon. I'm sure some other resetera users would suggest not to use them at all.

You can get more quite easily, and you don't really need that many for non-amiibo armor upgrades (besides Luminous Stones). Don't feel like you have to hoard them, but maybe just only sell them when you have something specific in mind you want to buy? I wouldn't worry much about it.
Looks I'll keep 'em. I don't want to miss out on any upgrades :D

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Imagine a mode where you could play as any creature.

I was fighting a Lizalfos and imagined a multiplayer or single player mode where you could play as one.

That would be so cool!!!

That would be a cool BR idea too!

--------
This game is just exquisite.

Omg.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks.

Keep some because some upgrades and side quests want some of that stuff. But remember it's renewable (But the rocks you break are random as to what comes out of them) and you can always fight Taluses. At first they'll be difficult but eventually you are able to take them out easily. Just remember where they're located. There's a few different kinds too.

Also note that you'll probably never run too low on money. As long as you are constantly picking things up you can always sell excess materials for a bit of cash. Beedle never runs out of money. And he always buys your stuff with open arms.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm now about 90 hours in and OH MY GOD
this game gets better and better, like i was expecting a great game based on the reception and the hype (although there was some negativity a while after it was released but that happens with every great game) but i never expected it to be this good and to get this hooked on it.

the korok forest and its shrine quests, the eventide island and the island where there's absolute darkness, the labyrinths, the music of the fishing village, the shrine quests in general (there are so many good ones), this game just keeps throwing amazing things at me and i'm loving it. seriously one of the best gaming experiences i've had in a LONG time.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there was a shrine quest in rito village involving 5 young sisters, and then after it's done it turns out they're kaas's babies! toooo cute.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if you're not charging right in to Guardian fights and cutting their legs off, you're doing it wrong. It's fun as hell.

You can do it with any cutting weapon though. Just the Master Sword and the ancient weapons will go through it like a hot knife through butter, while the normal weapons will struggle, in line with how they always are against Guardians.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm now about 90 hours in and OH MY GOD
this game gets better and better, like i was expecting a great game based on the reception and the hype (although there was some negativity a while after it was released but that happens with every great game) but i never expected it to be this good and to get this hooked on it.

the korok forest and its shrine quests, the eventide island and the island where there's absolute darkness, the labyrinths, the music of the fishing village, the shrine quests in general (there are so many good ones), this game just keeps throwing amazing things at me and i'm loving it. seriously one of the best gaming experiences i've had in a LONG time.
The biggest weakness in the game is the copy-paste test of strength shrines.

Maika_Fan

Oct 28, 2017
After dropping this game at launch I've decided to give it another go, but I've hit a brick wall - namely Lynel. I'm on my way to the first Devine Beast and have to defeat one and its impossible.

I've 5 hearts, a few level 20 weapons and a ton of arrows but I can't get it passed half energy. Parrying sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, same with dodging.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After dropping this game at launch I've decided to give it another go, but I've hit a brick wall - namely Lynel. I'm on my way to the first Devine Beast and have to defeat one and its impossible.

I've 5 hearts, a few level 20 weapons and a ton of arrows but I can't get it passed half energy. Parrying sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, same with dodging.
If you're talking about the one on the mountain while gathering the thunder arrows, you don't have to fight him. You can sneak around gathering enough arrows, then leave.

But you can also beat him, although it's daunting for new players since you aren't used to the dodge mechanics yet.

The lynel on the mountain might be an exception, but lynels generally won't attack you even after spotting you, unless you unsheath your weapon or get way too close

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I really like about the game. You don't have to fight/kill everything. Why should you? All you get is materials, weapons, shields whatever. No XP, nothing, so I don't bother with most encounters :D
You just gave me a great idea for a playthrough.

No killing except when necessary, and for hestu's maracas

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
That's what I really like about the game. You don't have to fight/kill everything. Why should you? All you get is materials, weapons, shields whatever. No XP, nothing, so I don't bother with most encounters :D

I love the combat. No need for me to skip it ever!
I can't help it! I wanna fight everything!

-------

Can I nominate playing with bombs in BOTW for GOTY? So damn fun!!

Though I do wish you could upgrade them to make them even stronger.

Last edited:

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This question might have been asked a lot:

Is there any trick to finding Korok seeds?

I've been in 2/3 of the zones and unlocked their towers and beaten about 20 shrines. But I haven't seen a single Korok Seed yet, aren't there 900 of them? Feels like I should be tripping over them all the time.

The limited inventory (esp weapons) starts to annoy me.

EDIT: Removed extra words.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This question might have been asked a lot:

Is there any trick to finding Korok seeds?

I've been in 2/3 of the zones and unlocked their towers and beaten about 20 shrines. But I haven't seen a single Korok Seed yet, aren't there 900 hundreds of them? Feels like I should be tripping over them all the time.

The limited inventory (esp weapons) starts to annoy me.
How? The spots where you get them are pretty obvious.

Example:
Kakariko Village. There are three little statues, two of them have an apple in front of them. Guess what you have to do here.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
How? The spots where you get them are pretty obvious.

Example:
Kakariko Village. There are three little statues, two of them have an apple in front of them. Guess what you have to do here.

Nope, never recall seeing anything like that when I was in Kakariko village, but thanks I'll go there and have a look.

Actually I've been thinking that the seeds would be on like mountain tops or under trees in the woods.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nope, never recall seeing anything like that when I was in Kakariko village, but thanks I'll go there and have a look.

Actually I've been thinking that the seeds would be on like mountain tops or under trees in the woods.
Korok Seeds are a reward for doing simple "puzzles", picking up the right stone, doing lots of different stuff. I think I've found more than 30 Korok Seeds and sometimes it is the same thing I did once and then it is something completely new.

Ever seen a circle made out of little stones, and one of them is missing? Find it, put it there and you earn a Korok Seed.

Ever seen a flower that disappears when you approach it? Follow it till the end and you'll get a Korok Seed.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just beat the fourth divine beast (rudania), i've got 107 shrines, almost all the side quests. do i go for ganon or the champions' ballad quest?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever see a circle of lillys in a body of water? Jump in from a high height like a cliff. Korok seed.

If something looks suspiciously out of place or conspicuous, you should investigate.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On this master mode playthrough, I found the memory west of mount lanayru, before I activated it I took a photo of the blue lynel there, which drew its aggro

Watched the cutscene for the memory, and, completely forgot about the lynel. the moment the memory ends, an ice arrow rains down upon me, scaring the shit out of me.

instant death

had to mash teleport out of there after i respawned since the game saved right after the cutscene ended and before the arrow

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just FUCKED the Muwo Jeem and Chaas Qeta shrines. Both guardians. I'm kind of feeling myself after those two battles.

3 hearts. I was parrying. I was dodging, I was timing my arrows to keep the guardians from regenerating. And, of course, deflecting the instant kill beams at the end. No damage taken. Only a few guardian weapons and some arrows lost.

Whew.

Last edited: