• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The wait for a new trailer has been excruciating.

I thirst for a glimpse at 'Rehydrated' Ganondorf. I want to see an actual voice acted Ganondorf cutscene... I hadn't even thought about the prospects of that being a high possibility until tonight.

6182c9cae6590df42720a5a78d89fb43.jpg

I want to see if we are revisiting the same world. I want to see if much of the ruined areas are remade, or if we leave Hyrule for a new area.

Also, I think this game would finish so strong if they had Link speak in the final cutscene(s) of the game.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I thirst for a glimpse at 'Rehydrated' Ganondorf. I want to see an actual voice acted Ganondorf cutscene... I hadn't even thought about the prospects of that being a high possibility until tonight.

I want to see if we are revisiting the same world. I want to see if much of the ruined areas are remade, or if we leave Hyrule for a new area.

Also, I think this game would finish so strong if they had Link speak in the final cutscene(s) of the game.
I forgot how thirsty the Internet was for Rehydrated Ganondorf last year.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is a requested feature, and I know Majora's Mask set the opposite precedent, but I'd love if your save file from the first game carried over into the sequel. Sure, maybe you "lose some of your stuff" at the beginning, but I'd argue they should just amplify the difficulty like SMB2JP did and it turns out all that awesome stuff you hoarded in the first game is weaksauce compared to the new offerings in the second.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm sure this is a requested feature, and I know Majora's Mask set the opposite precedent, but I'd love if your save file from the first game carried over into the sequel. Sure, maybe you "lose some of your stuff" at the beginning, but I'd argue they should just amplify the difficulty like SMB2JP did and it turns out all that awesome stuff you hoarded in the first game is weaksauce compared to the new offerings in the second.
Yeah I like that idea, except for the Master Sword and Hylian Shield presents some difficulty that breaks the immersion. The Master Sword obviously the best sword for the simple fact that it recharges but the Hylian Shield is literally the pinnacle and franchise staple. How does Nintendo take it away in a way that makes sense, while remaining consistent with the idea of bringing gear over?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I like that idea, except for the Master Sword and Hylian Shield presents some difficulty that breaks the immersion. The Master Sword obviously the best sword for the simple fact that it recharges but the Hylian Shield is literally the pinnacle and franchise staple. How does Nintendo take it away in a way that makes sense, while remaining consistent with the idea of bringing gear over?

I was wondering that myself. Put some thought into it since my last post - maybe some event happens that causes them to lose their strength and power.. or something happens where those specific items are taken from the player at the start of the game. Maybe all of your weapons are powered down by some mysterious force. Just some thoughts that may need more workshopping.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just have Link find a shrine that charges the Mastersword and the Hylia Shield up. And at the same time, make the Hylia Shield unbreakable in the same veine as the Master Sword.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
So do you guys think we will see the game again soon ? Would you rather see it in the coming month in a random tweet or wait till September for a Direct ?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So do you guys think we will see the game again soon ? Would you rather see it in the coming month in a random tweet or wait till September for a Direct ?

No, next year earliest. If we had an E3 Direct as scheduled we may have seen it, if there's a Direct this year I should hope they drop a trailer for a 2021 release.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering that myself. Put some thought into it since my last post - maybe some event happens that causes them to lose their strength and power.. or something happens where those specific items are taken from the player at the start of the game. Maybe all of your weapons are powered down by some mysterious force. Just some thoughts that may need more workshopping.
I realize these are two months old, but since the thread was bumped, I thought it'd be fun to discuss again.

I think the easiest way to bring the Hylian Shield back at the start of the game is to give Link something for his offhand that surpasses the concept of shields from the first game. I would suggest Green Magic Hand, but the trailer seemed to emphasize Link's sword hand for that. Maybe he can dual wield something, use the Shiekah Slate, or just upgrade what shields can do (Captain America-style throwing would be cool, or maybe give them some sort of magical properties); the last option has the added benefit of theoretically being applicable via upgrade to the Hylian Shield late-game, so it can be carried over at the start and be the "best" shield.

I don't really expect Nintendo to overhaul the combat that drastically, though. I think the fact that Link has the Master Sword but not the Hylian Shield in the footage is indicative of what to expect.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
No, next year earliest. If we had an E3 Direct as scheduled we may have seen it, if there's a Direct this year I should hope they drop a trailer for a 2021 release.

I really don't think they will wait till next year to show it. If there is anything the game will release next year probably and they already showed a story related cinematic, i'm sure they can start showing more at the next ND at the end of the summer. I get they can't really make one rn but they will need to show what's coming soon to Switch before the other 2 console releases.

And if they didn't plan on doing a long marketing cycle for it they wouldn't have shown it last year when they already had a lot of stuff in their ND.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was initially bullish on Holiday 2020, and I think it's still a possibility, but I think it's more likely at this point that COVID-19 complications have impacted development and pushed it out. It's entirely possible we get a trailer this year, heck maybe even one intended for E3 this year, but I'm not as optimistic as I once was.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I was initially bullish on Holiday 2020, and I think it's still a possibility, but I think it's more likely at this point that COVID-19 complications have impacted development and pushed it out. It's entirely possible we get a trailer this year, heck maybe even one intended for E3 this year, but I'm not as optimistic as I once was.

I'm sure there was a trailer made for E3. We got a story teaser last year i'm sure 1 year later then can pull off a first trailer or another teaser atleast. No way we don't see the game this year.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm sure there was a trailer made for E3. We got a story teaser last year i'm sure 1 year later then can pull off a first trailer or another teaser atleast. No way we don't see the game this year.
I'm pretty sure there wasn't one made once it became clear E3 is not happening. Remember that E3 had officially been canned in March. Overall E3 crunch was definitely underway but they didn't have stuff ready by then.

And once they realized through all this that they'd a) have the freedom to schedule announcements without feeling tied to Hype Week and that b) lockdown would impact development times, things just moved a lot in general.

Speculating on Nintendo announcements is already a fool's game in normal conditions but in this covid world now, it is even more grasping at straws that aren't even there. When the whole board shifts, they'll probably have made some internal adjustments too.

If they show it again this year I'll be happy. I wouldn't be that shocked if they hunkered down to let the new consoles do their thing during the holiday season and then saved the gigatons for their Q1 splash next year.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I'm pretty sure there wasn't one made once it became clear E3 is not happening. Remember that E3 had officially been canned in March. Overall E3 crunch was definitely underway but they didn't have stuff ready by then.

And once they realized through all this that they'd a) have the freedom to schedule announcements without feeling tied to Hype Week and that b) lockdown would impact development times, things just moved a lot in general.

Speculating on Nintendo announcements is already a fool's game in normal conditions but in this covid world now, it is even more grasping at straws that aren't even there. When the whole board shifts, they'll probably have made some internal adjustments too.

If they show it again this year I'll be happy. I wouldn't be that shocked if they hunkered down to let the new consoles do their thing during the holiday season and then saved the gigatons for their Q1 splash next year.

I mean yea i'm not saying one was made but 1 year and some months later i'm sure they will be in a position to show more of the game. In my opinion there is no way they will just let the next gen happen and show not a single big title until next year. Not only would that be terrible PR for the ones with the console but also be really bad for the momentum of the console entering a new era. They will need to find a way to stay in the conversations and the headlines and it's not by staying silent.

Something that might have happened this year is, they probably were taking their time to announce stuff since they had good momentum and the competition was holding announcements up as well. But they def didn't intend to wait that long and it's all due to covid happening. Things are returning to normal and i don't think they will just scrap the whole year and start over next year. I do expect they will wait until end au august/early september, but they will hold a big presentation.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
The amount of theory that is being made just with this first teaser only is outstanding. And i'm at the point where i have watched most of them. Yup we need new material lmao

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VA work might be done! We could be looking at a March 2021 release I hope.

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT9| Black Lives Matter far more than video games

So it seems that VA work on Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 might be done already... https://www.gamereactor.es/el-doblaje-espanol-de-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-ya-esta-hecho/ Revali's Spanish actor talks about it in past tense, then backpedals... "Don't know if I can say we've dubbed it yet or...

Feb 20, 2019
I know it would make sense if the mummy was Ganondorf, but damn it could also be really nice to have a brand new villain. I love Vaati and Majora

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'd like to see a pivot - where a really nasty external force comes to threaten Hyrule and the three triforce part holders have to come together to fight it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a transcript of that Spanish podcast. Timestamps at 17:30 and 39:00

17:30 Timestamps
Note: Before the timestamp, they were talking about how saying loose lines without any context was hard because they didn't know if the way they said the lines fit the scene.

Voice actor:
"And something happened, it's more like a comment or complaint. It's about the 2nd game, I don't know if we can say if we dubbed it or not."

Guy in the background:
"Of course you can say it!"

Voice actor and voice actress:
"No one knows. "

Voice actress:
"If we have dubbed it or if we haven't dubbed it, we can't say anything."

Voice actor:
"Right. I don't remember having dubbed it or not, the sequel. I'm not gonna lie."

Everyone:
*laughs*

Guy in the background:
"Swampy terrain!"

Voice actor:
"It's like on trials when people say "I don't remember", so, I don't remember. "

Then they go on talking about how hard it was to match the speed of their voice acting to the time of the cutscenes.

39:00 Timestamp

Note: before the timestamp, they were talking about contracts and NDAs and how NDAs tell you not to leak things. They were talking about all the voicework they do for other shows on TV.

Voice actor:
"With Zelda there was a lot of paranoia. With the 1st and the 2nd one (which we haven't done *laughs*). But I didn't even tell my little bother that I did Zelda, I was very secretive about it. "

Then they talk about the casting for BotW and how Link, Zelda, Ganon had other names to avoid leaks.

------
So, there's no new info other than inferring they did work on BotW2 and they did talk in past tense.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this game seems nearly finished. Could it launch in 2020 after all?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this game seems nearly finished. Could it launch in 2020 after all?

Voicework is done many months or even a year in advance. Nintendo could have finished with the story part and spend 2 more years designing dungeons and fine-tunning the game. Finished voice work has no bearing if a game is almost done or not.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I don't know. It can look really jarring if it's really out of sync.
I know, you're right.

There has to be some sort of balance though. In xenoblade, they were quite lenient with it and think that attributed to why people preferred the voice acting in that game (Ignoring Rex complaints in Xeno 2 lol)

Compare that Xenoblade 2 where they tried to match lip sync really accurately and it falls flat because of the amount of staggered lines that are said in order to maintain the correct sync.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voicework is done many months or even a year in advance. Nintendo could have finished with the story part and spend 2 more years designing dungeons and fine-tunning the game. Finished voice work has no bearing if a game is almost done or not.
I don't think that's quite how it works with Nintendo. Aren't they the gameplay first, story last kind of developers? If anything, them showing cutscenes one year ago to me indicates that the game was pretty far along back then.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's quite how it works with Nintendo. Aren't they the gameplay first, story last kind of developers? If anything, them showing cutscenes one year ago to me indicates that the game was pretty far along back then.
Correct. Nintendo gets gameplay first. Story comes after. Voices come later.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If they try to do both, it just would inevitably end with Ganon hijacking the plot just because. Always happens when they attempt to have two+ villains, whether it's a main game (Twilight princess, four swords adventures, kind of for the oracle games) or spin offs (Hyrule warriors, Cadence of hyrule).

The only way we get a decent non ganon(dorf) villain who is not inevitably tossed to the wayside is if Ganon isn't really in the plot at all.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VA work might be done! We could be looking at a March 2021 release I hope.

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT9| Black Lives Matter far more than video games

So it seems that VA work on Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 might be done already... https://www.gamereactor.es/el-doblaje-espanol-de-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-ya-esta-hecho/ Revali's Spanish actor talks about it in past tense, then backpedals... "Don't know if I can say we've dubbed it yet or...
Here's a transcript of that Spanish podcast. Timestamps at 17:30 and 39:00

17:30 Timestamps
Note: Before the timestamp, they were talking about how saying loose lines without any context was hard because they didn't know if the way they said the lines fit the scene.

Voice actor:
"And something happened, it's more like a comment or complaint. It's about the 2nd game, I don't know if we can say if we dubbed it or not."

Guy in the background:
"Of course you can say it!"

Voice actor and voice actress:
"No one knows. "

Voice actress:
"If we have dubbed it or if we haven't dubbed it, we can't say anything."

Voice actor:
"Right. I don't remember having dubbed it or not, the sequel. I'm not gonna lie."

Everyone:
*laughs*

Guy in the background:
"Swampy terrain!"

Voice actor:
"It's like on trials when people say "I don't remember", so, I don't remember. "

Then they go on talking about how hard it was to match the speed of their voice acting to the time of the cutscenes.

39:00 Timestamp

Note: before the timestamp, they were talking about contracts and NDAs and how NDAs tell you not to leak things. They were talking about all the voicework they do for other shows on TV.

Voice actor:
"With Zelda there was a lot of paranoia. With the 1st and the 2nd one (which we haven't done *laughs*). But I didn't even tell my little bother that I did Zelda, I was very secretive about it. "

Then they talk about the casting for BotW and how Link, Zelda, Ganon had other names to avoid leaks.

------
So, there's no new info other than inferring they did work on BotW2 and they did talk in past tense.
Thanks, adding to the OP!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
If they try to do both, it just would inevitably end with Ganon hijacking the plot just because. Always happens when they attempt to have two+ villains, whether it's a main game (Twilight princess, four swords adventures, kind of for the oracle games) or spin offs (Hyrule warriors, Cadence of hyrule).
or they don't do that

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
alot of games finished recording 1 year or more before it releases especially those from japan, funny code vein english dub finish their recording 2 years + before the release

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
But the point is they will do that if they have two villains.
Funny enough: I would've agreed with this at one point, but I'm not so sure given that they're trying to do away with conventions this time around.

To be clear: I'm leaning towards your side in this argument, but there is a chance, albeit a small one, I think, that they'll try to avoid that this time around.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

Is that official artwork? I really hope not, its waaay too anime for my taste. Delicate facial features (except the nose obviously) doesnt really go with the Ganondorf we all know and love.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I imagine Aonuma just thinks of Ganon and Ganondorf as filling separate slots of the Zelda rogue gallery. I wouldn't mind a new villain, but Ganondorf seeming to be back is one of the few things we seem to know, and spinoffs aside, he hasn't been in the series for over a decade and I feel like the return of Ganondorf in humanoid form is going to be hyped up.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
At this point, I imagine Aonuma just thinks of Ganon and Ganondorf as filling separate slots of the Zelda rogue gallery. I wouldn't mind a new villain, but Ganondorf seeming to be back is one of the few things we seem to know, and spinoffs aside, he hasn't been on the series for over a decade and I feel like the return of Ganondorf in humanoid form is going to be hyped up.
Actually, yes, and we often don't get humanoid Ganondorf that often, which is why I'm excited for this game AND they haven't had him in a voice-acting role AND I think that they'd want to elaborate on his character more. That said, I think we're dealing with the another incarnation of Ganondorf or something like it. It's hard to say.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

That's some Chad Ganondorf and I love it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You guys realize they could be talking about Champions' Ballad, depending on how aware they themselves are if they're doing an expansion or DLC...?

Please don't make stuff up.
Rey isn't making stuff up. This is how things go sometimes. We know, for example, that Nintendo had the Code Name S.T.E.A.M. VO sessions done in around 2013. That game came out in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.