Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, this is some absolute nonsense and you should stop it right here.

I know full well we're all in the "oh god kneejerk reaction I can't help myself need to typ stuff" phase, but I absolutely detest these kinds of comments. Fine that you don't care for the artstyle, but please don't just assume or generalize a certain group of people disagreeing with you by essentially saying "pff you are just indoctrinated by Nintendo" or some other weak argument.

Maybe you should accept people like different things than yourself.

I've already said people can like what they want, that doesn't mean I can't comment on it. I mean this is a visual medium it's fair to compare this game to it's peers and question why a certain group can't understand why some folks may not like how this game looks. Particularly when the discussion is being muddied by folks throwing around Wind Waker as a gotcha comparison, as if that is the height of objective discussion.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely love the art style. Cannot wait it's my one of my favorite Zelda games.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Who the fuck is saying this is claymation? lol

This looks nothing like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

My biggest complaint is that this is a 1:1 remake, down to the rooms in dungeons having the exact same layout. Kinda disappointing considering I just replayed LA DX last year.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There is one thing I like about this remake though, and that's that with more than two action buttons the game will surely have significantly less menuing.

Deleted member 50193

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm glad those who never got to experience Link's Awakening will get to experience it in a whole new way, but I'm waiting for the next original game.

I'm must be getting too picky or old or something but just not excited about this Direct or any of the announcements.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Eh what? 2D Zelda was AAA back in the day before the transition to 3D.
Debateable. Do we have the costs for Zelda 3? Those 16bit projects were not expensive like stuff today. The teams were much smaller and the games were developed in a few years, not 4 plus years. OoT was the biggest budget Zelda game when it was released and was when the series went AAA, but only for the 3D games.

We got the Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, and Mimish Cap later. Those were not AAA games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But how do you want a game that is seen from above to have the visual style of the anime and that is not terrible.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a silly toy for children 26 years ago too. Just because your child brain imagined things to be more profound and mysterious doesn't make it so.
The art is 100% in line with what the game was going for.
I wasn't imagining it, Link's Awakening was largely A Link to the Past's artstyle shrunk down for the Game Boy. It was never this chibi style.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
My problem with the art is that it looks like a bunch of toys, rather than a living world with characters in it. It doesn't have the same feel at all. It feels filmsy and fake, and not in a way that plays toward the 'it was all a dream motif.' Also the defense of "people always hate Zelda art at first" is an unfair dismissal of legit reactions to the art.

That anime intro for Link's Awakening was so on the money with how the Gameboy Zelda's portray their art style in cutscenes. For years I dreamt of getting a Zelda game in this style...

DzUpE24UYAAsR3O.png

DzUpGQpVAAE9vRl.png

DzUpHNbUYAAbjem.png

DzUpIDJUcAADSHZ.jpg

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Still not entire sure how I feel about the artstyle. I kinda like it, it's just completely different from how I would've envisioned a complete remake of this game (which also has its charm, I suppose).

But man, that cartoon intro tho.... GIVE ME A SERIES! Go Pokémon Generations on that shit PLEASE !

Also: hi again Chain Chomp!

WarmheartedMisguidedItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif
I'm so glad they didn't forget the small touches like the butterflies and the dog. I hope the dog still attacks you if you hurt it. Because you're a monster if you do.

Link's Awakening with more than 2 buttons is gonna be a game changer.
Oh I can't wait to see how they change the controls and UI.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Other than the human faces, I'm all in for this art style.

I'm curious how this goes price-wise. $60 would be standard, but you can have (mostly) the same experience on 3DS for under $10. Past remakes have been $40, but they were on handhelds. They can charge more if they add more, but doing that risks undermining some of the simple joy of the game. I wonder if there's some sort of extra feature they haven't shown yet, like a Second Quest, Remix Mode, or something else.
I'm hoping for a second island epilogue. If this is 1:1 the whole game it will be such a waste. I might not even buy it.

Just saw the trailer (I need to catch up with the direct still) but I'm all in. I adore the 3D Dot Heroes-esque art style and am so hyped that they kept the goombas in the platforming portion of the game.

Link to the Past & Link's Awakening were such a huge part of my childhood and they still hold up incredibly well to this day.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Is this thread one of those "Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot" thread?

I was surprised by the design. First it looked weird, but looking at it again I actually really like it. Link looks a bit different than expected, but the enviroment looks stunning.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original is the best Zelda game, so if this manages to be as good or better Link's Awakening will be the the top 2 Zelda games.

Nov 8, 2017
There isn't that much? you need to re-read the thread.

I'm asking you whether you're pointing to trailer like ratios as evidence that there is not much hate globally (not this thread specifically) and therefore people should not be getting defensive over the art style, or whether you're pointing to that ratio as evidence that people here who dislike it are a minority and therefore should not have those opinions??

OP
OP
Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. RPG , since this appears to be the default discussion thread for this new announcement, could you please keep the OP neutral regarding the art style? It's fine not to like it, but it would be nice to not have what is now the main thread be negative off the bat when there's a large amount of debate. I'm not asking for glowing praise, just not negativity.

Sure. lol

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this thread one of those "Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot" thread?

I was surprised by the design. First it looked weird, but looking at it again I actually really like it. Link looks a bit different than expected, but the enviroment looks stunning.
Yeah that's why its so weird. They put so much work into the environment and then added in Miis

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Intro cartoon had me hyped... then the gameplay parts ruined everything. That art style...

That might be the biggest turnaround for excitement I've ever had.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
This is my favorite Zelda game of them all. I just let out an audible, "holy shit, what?!" when this trailer started. This looks so cool. Can't wait.