ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Spirit Tracks in the sky?!

Screenshot_20230424_110646_YouTube.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/5N6rROlKskU

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
the only new stuff is the sky minecart stuff I think, not sure though

Mostly, but various other gameplay scenes are just a bit extended, and there's a guy reacting to the piece of trailer 3 with the construct coming out of the wall. I was hoping that shot would go a bit further and show a tad more of the shape/character of that boss thing.

So flippin' excited about the underground

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Man, I was really hoping that Gleeoks were more traditional bosses and not like how Talus/Lynels/Hinoxes were in BOTW.

Here's hoping we get other LOZ1 enemies. Aquamentus hasn't been seen in damn near 20 years, time to bring him back!

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
It seems to be a "puzzle" where you have to make a mine cart long enough by sticking multiple together with ultrahand so that it can clear a gap in half the track.
Puzzle (derogatory)

If this is a puzzle in the overworld that isn't good enough, is it because the restrictions are too loose? It'd be interesting if the puzzles need to have a higher skill ceiling to clearing with other methods, if that's what it takes to see the open-puzzle vs lock-and-key-puzzle dynamic really shine.

Jan 15, 2019
With previews coming soon I feel like it's time to bow out of the Zelda hype until I can play for myself. But I don't know if I can resist 🥲

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was really hoping that Gleeoks were more traditional bosses and not like how Talus/Lynels/Hinoxes were in BOTW.

Here's hoping we get other LOZ1 enemies. Aquamentus hasn't been seen in damn near 20 years, time to bring him back!

I think it's better that it s an overworld enemy. Said it in the commercial thread, but it's nice to just think that you could wander around and encounter it, rather than it being stuck in a specific boss area for one fight. I'm fairly sure there will be some sort of traditional bosses though, like the ice Ghoma-esque thing and the giant Construct shown in the last trailer, which both don't look like they could be normal encounters.

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019

But you'll be fighting them grounded and in mid-air guaranteed. I trust. I have the faith. The fights will rule. Probably can injure or sever the wings/necks? Also malice versions of them underground, hoooo boy

Hulk1988

Jul 7, 2021
But you'll be fighting them grounded and in mid-air guaranteed. I trust. I have the faith. The fights will rule. Probably can injure or sever the wings/necks? Also malice versions of them underground, hoooo boy
Link has 17! hearts during the fight with the dragon. That amount of hearts are shown in the newest commercial trailer. And they are all in one line.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
This game looks fantastic.
Exploration will a lot different than the first one, i think we will do a lot of sky diving to reach some far area.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I feel like no one is asking the most important question we have yet to answer. Is Link going to be sleeping when the game starts, and if so where will he be and what wakes him?

I think maybe Link could be napping at a campfire during his and Zelda's journey underground. She wakes him up and the continue on, and we get information on what they've been up to and why there are there. Then Ganon -> Wake Up on Sky Island.
I've long suspected this might be the case.

Either that or we skip all that and go straight to him waking him on the sky island after everything's already happened. In that case, I suspect Zelda will still be the one waking him up, and then the entire segment of them underground with Ganondorf will be a flashback that we probably see after finishing the tutorial area (similar to Rhoam's flashback after finishing the Great Plateau).

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I'm watching old Zeltik videos analyzing BOTW trailers. Lot of the same thinking around time travel is being thrown around back then too, lol.
Well, it was. The story was entirely told through flashbacks, which is probably essentially what will happen in TotK.

I don't understand the time travel theory. People expecting that somewhere in the game Link time travels to a previous/future version of Hyrule that has a different layout? Yeah, that's never happening in an open world game. At most, we may see some cutscenes that are from a different time like in botw but that's about it. We can still have world changing events in the present though.
No, no, no. The "time travel" element of the game will almost certainly be limited to Zelda being thrown into the past at the beginning of the game. Whatever she's doing, she's doing it in a past era. And whatever she's doing will affect Link in the present.

Oh, cool! I genuinely did not think we would get anything like this.

I wonder if anyone will say anything that will help make the game's overall structure make even the slightest bit more sense, or if Nintendo has gagged people from saying literally anything about that.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if anyone will say anything that will help make the game's overall structure make even the slightest bit more sense, or if Nintendo has gagged people from saying literally anything about that.
The previews are based on a preview event Nintendo invited to, so people are unlikely to have seen more of the game than Nintendo wanted them to.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like no one is asking the most important question we have yet to answer. Is Link going to be sleeping when the game starts, and if so where will he be and what wakes him?

I think maybe Link could be napping at a campfire during his and Zelda's journey underground. She wakes him up and the continue on, and we get information on what they've been up to and why there are there. Then Ganon -> Wake Up on Sky Island.
Game will start with Link waking up in the sky. How he got there will be a flashback.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the people analyzing the trailer music think the intro bit is the Sacred Duet from Spirit Tracks.

youtu.be

Zelda Music References YOU MISSED | Tears of the Kingdom Final Trailer Reaction FULL Length

#tearsofthekingdom #zelda #trailer #nintendoThis is a FULL LENGTH video, a director’s cut, as requested by many of you. It’s long, but FULL of so many cool t...

Yet another thing making me hope that Zelda and Link are doing some sort of cooperative effort instead of her just being someone you never see or talk to "live" like in BotW.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
The flashback will be Link getting chucked into the sky by jerky-strip Ganondorf, ending with a faceplant onto the skyland

Jnrzotp.png

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Playing oracle of ages for the first time (last one I have to beat in the series) and it's such a neat little game.

Playing it while reading the talk about lock and key puzzles here is making it stand out how unique it is in the series

Like yes it does have those, but what I didn't expect is so many one off rooms that are just pure puzzles not even related to dungeon item progression. Like "walk on every tile in this room, with this one being your first one and this one being your last, without stepping on a single one twice" or "push this rotating 6 sided block with different colors and make sure the right color is facing up when you get to this hole it fits in"

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Is it me or does it feel like the game no longer has this more complex shading shown in the first very teaser, as detailed by brainchild in an old Gamexplain video

AonqKCa.png

It's very minimal in game and more pronounced in cutscenes.

That being said, only the cloth materials that can fold inward are even able to trigger the effect while not in direct light. I noticed it in the sail during the Aounuma demonstration, which was basically AO (but that wasn't cel-shaded). Ambient occlusion is a lot better in TOTK compared to BOTW.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought that. At first blush it looks pretty much identical to BotW, with a better draw distance.

Yeah graphically the game is more or less indistinguishable from BOTW.

I recently compared the gameplay footage to my original analysis and it's largely the same tech with some improvements that set it apart from BOTW. This is from my post on famiboards:

• Fog in-scatter still present and of comparable quality to what was in BOTW. However, there are still lighting inconsistencies with some billboards
  • Fire animation still physics-driven like BOTW
  • Shadow casting appears to be disabled for local light sources (enabled only in cutscenes). I'll need to test this when I play it, as it might be selective
  • Cel-shaded occlusion (character AO) is very minimal compared to cutscenes
  • Material response for some TOTK materials like water appear to be more accurate compared to materials in BOTW (both use PBR)
  • Real-time cubemaps appear to have higher resolution in TOTK
  • Like BOTW, TOTK has issues with rendering through transparencies. This is a difficult issue for games in general, so no surprise there
  • Ambient occlusion has been significantly improved in TOTK. It more accurately takes depth and proximity into account and looks more realistic
  • Shadow cascades appear to be of higher quality in TOTK and render farther in the distance compared to BOTW (though transitions are pretty rough)
  • Render distance and LODs have improved significantly, and the geometry in any given scene is more detailed than anything we saw in BOTW
  • Like BOTW, TOTK uses HDR bloom, which allows bloom to only apply around very bright pixels while preserving contrast for neighboring dark pixels
  • Rayleigh scattering more accurately propagates skylight through media, including water on the sky islands. The closer the camera is to the upper atmosphere, the more prominent the skylight tint will be in the immediate environment surrounding the camera. Mie scattering more accurate as well
  • Even though the clouds are still billboarded (the Aonuma footage definitively disproves the use of volumetric clouds), the shading gives more "depth"
  • I'll assume procedurally generated clouds are still in, though I need to observe the environment over a longer period of time to be sure
  • Wind simulation still appears to be in and affects everything in the environment
  • Some materials like foliage still have translucency
  • Shadow casting is still enabled for objects illuminated by lightning strikes, but it is unclear if the shadows will be omnidirectional. I'll probably have to wait to play the game to find out
  • Light particles that can dynamically change size (like the lasers in trailer #3) also change light radius in tandem. Not sure if this was the case in BOTW (I think the light emanating from fireflies also did this, but I can't remember)
  • Global illumination appears to function the same way that it did in BOTW, but I'm seeing fewer cases of artifacts. Perhaps the latency or the time interval at which the radiosity is updated has improved. The diffuse interreflection effect is also more visually convincing and not as coarsely applied across the environment as it was in BOTW
  • Link has completely new swimming animations. Not just in the water bubbles, but underwater in general. The velocity at which Link enters the water seems to affect how long Link stays underwater before resurfacing. Or it could simply be that the diving animation affects it. I'll need to test once I have the game to be sure
  • It's hard to say due to the quality of the footage, but I think wetness parameter values appear to have been tweaked for Link's cel-shading when he emerges from water to look more shiny and wet. I'll need to scrutinize more closely when I have the game
  • I have not seen any prominent volumetric light shafts, but if they're like how they were in BOTW, they will be as rare as they are in real life, where the right atmospheric and lighting conditions will need to be met before they can be seen
  • Physics, acoustics, and other details will have to wait until I can play the game

I'd say there are many notable improvements in TOTK based on what I've seen so far, but the most significant appear to be in render distance, LOD management, ambient occlusion, geometric detail, and lighting.

And with that this will be my last public post on this forum.

Cheers

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
There are many things you could critique Spirit Tracks for, but its overworld theme is definitely not one of them.

Also, ironically, I was just watching Zelda Music Theory's great musical breakdown of the trailer and...:

View: https://youtu.be/DIsXOqVLSvw?t=33

Some of the people analyzing the trailer music think the intro bit is the Sacred Duet from Spirit Tracks.

youtu.be

Zelda Music References YOU MISSED | Tears of the Kingdom Final Trailer Reaction FULL Length

#tearsofthekingdom #zelda #trailer #nintendoThis is a FULL LENGTH video, a director’s cut, as requested by many of you. It’s long, but FULL of so many cool t...

Yet another thing making me hope that Zelda and Link are doing some sort of cooperative effort instead of her just being someone you never see or talk to "live" like in BotW.
I figured it was an original melody made for TotK to open the trailer, but fwiw, they do add some harmonized humming over those notes after it first plays.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1D-EyZ0S1A

This is a pretty compelling argument for who the Eighth Heroine is.

I especially like the symbolism of the sinkhole appearing in the middle of the Seven Heroines--those being the sages that originally sealed Ganondorf in the flashbacks--and starting to swallow them. Because let's be real here: the way Ganondorf is found makes his sealing look desperate as hell and some of those sages are going to get got.

Had this pinned to watch later and I'm glad I did. A smile crept over my face when I realized what direction he'd take the theory. Love this idea.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Playing oracle of ages for the first time (last one I have to beat in the series) and it's such a neat little game.

Playing it while reading the talk about lock and key puzzles here is making it stand out how unique it is in the series

Like yes it does have those, but what I didn't expect is so many one off rooms that are just pure puzzles not even related to dungeon item progression. Like "walk on every tile in this room, with this one being your first one and this one being your last, without stepping on a single one twice" or "push this rotating 6 sided block with different colors and make sure the right color is facing up when you get to this hole it fits in"

I'm so glad you've got round to playing it. The dungeons are stronger than Seasons' - there's a water dungeon that rivals Ocarina's. Also, the time travel is very neatly executed, with the Harp of Ages functioning like the mirror in ALttP that allows you to warp pretty much anywhere on the map unless there's a terrain clash.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
What happens if you drop all the mine carts over the edge? The puzzle would become impossible.
It's outside so it's probably not the only way to get across or you'll have to respawn stuff. Like that part on the great plateau where you chop down a tree to cross a chasm. If you dropped all the trees you wouldn't be able to go that way without respawning trees.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017

Oracle of Ages is my favorite Zelda after BotW. The dungeons are a mix of small connected puzzles and just standalone challenge rooms. The overworld itself is a puzzle with the time traveling stuff and befriending one of the animals.

Maybe I just need more Fujibayashi-likes in my life.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I recently compared the gameplay footage to my original analysis and it's largely the same tech with some improvements that set it apart from BOTW. This is from my post on famiboards:

• Fog in-scatter still present and of comparable quality to what was in BOTW. However, there are still lighting inconsistencies with some billboards
  • Shadow casting appears to be disabled for local light sources (enabled only in cutscenes). I'll need to test this when I play it, as it might be selective
  • Material response for some TOTK materials like water appear to be more accurate compared to materials in BOTW (both use PBR)
  • Like BOTW, TOTK has issues with rendering through transparencies. This is a difficult issue for games in general, so no surprise there
  • Ambient occlusion has been significantly improved in TOTK. It more accurately takes depth and proximity into account and looks more realistic
  • Shadow cascades appear to be of higher quality in TOTK and render farther in the distance compared to BOTW (though transitions are pretty rough)
  • Render distance and LODs have improved significantly, and the geometry in any given scene is more detailed than anything we saw in BOTW
  • Like BOTW, TOTK uses HDR bloom, which allows bloom to only apply around very bright pixels while preserving contrast for neighboring dark pixels
  • Rayleigh scattering more accurately propagates skylight through media, including water on the sky islands. The closer the camera is to the upper atmosphere, the more prominent the skylight tint will be in the immediate environment surrounding the camera. Mie scattering more accurate as well
  • Even though the clouds are still billboarded (the Aonuma footage definitively disproves the use of volumetric clouds), the shading gives more "depth"
  • I'll assume procedurally generated clouds are still in, though I need to observe the environment over a longer period of time to be sure
  • Wind simulation still appears to be in and affects everything in the environment
  • Shadow casting is still enabled for objects illuminated by lightning strikes, but it is unclear if the shadows will be omnidirectional. I'll probably have to wait to play the game to find out
  • Light particles that can dynamically change size (like the lasers in trailer #3) also change light radius in tandem. Not sure if this was the case in BOTW (I think the light emanating from fireflies also did this, but I can't remember)
  • Global illumination appears to function the same way that it did in BOTW, but I'm seeing fewer cases of artifacts. Perhaps the latency or the time interval at which the radiosity is updated has improved. The diffuse interreflection effect is also more visually convincing and not as coarsely applied across the environment as it was in BOTW
  • Link has completely new swimming animations. Not just in the water bubbles, but underwater in general. The velocity at which Link enters the water seems to affect how long Link stays underwater before resurfacing. Or it could simply be that the diving animation affects it. I'll need to test once I have the game to be sure
  • It's hard to say due to the quality of the footage, but I think wetness parameter values appear to have been tweaked for Link's cel-shading when he emerges from water to look more shiny and wet. I'll need to scrutinize more closely when I have the game
  • I have not seen any prominent volumetric light shafts, but if they're like how they were in BOTW, they will be as rare as they are in real life, where the right atmospheric and lighting conditions will need to be met before they can be seen
  • Physics, acoustics, and other details will have to wait until I can play the game

I'd say there are many notable improvements in TOTK based on what I've seen so far, but the most significant appear to be in render distance, LOD management, ambient occlusion, geometric detail, and lighting.

Cheers
Wow, thanks for sharing all that even if it's your last post.

Jan 15, 2019

Cheers

Good info, sorry to see you go

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019

Cheers

Cheers. Thanks for the thorough and detailed breakdown

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

Cheers
Render distance, LOD, AO, geometric detail and lighting are without a doubt the best things they could have improved in this. Especially with the sky islands giving you even greater view of the world around you.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It's neat to see that Spirit Tracks motif creep into the trailer music. The basic rail system in BotW made me hope for a more thoughtful implementation in the next game, and I hope there is some promise of that with the melody callback.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
It seems to be a "puzzle" where you have to make a mine cart long enough by sticking multiple together with ultrahand so that it can clear a gap in half the track.
yeah exactly. We've seen rails everywhere so not surprised theres a puzzle around it
What happens if you drop all the mine carts over the edge? The puzzle would become impossible.
I think you've found a loophole that Nintendo never thought of! /s
They design these puzzles with multiple solutions and also are confident in the mechanics they have presented to the player that there is multiple things the player could stitch together to make it there on their own.

OR

Maybe theres a minecart dispenser? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.