Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
They cast Seth Rogen, thousand percent their will be comedy. Also that casting is hilarious because even as someone who likes him, when I heard he was cast I was like "what?! Really?!". And then when you think about him voicing pumba it makes perfect sense. Go further down that rabbit hole and the realization hits that timon and pumba were definitely stoners lol
Im wondering about Olivers performance as Zazu, I think it fits him somehow.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's sort of a "filter" that information goes through when created by hand in 2D animation -- a human being decides what the salient parts are -- the story is kind of told in the details the hand added in and left out, and constant exaggeration is going on.

By contrast, 3D of this style (which is quite realistic) has many things going on that blunt the emotional impact: Once you render a scene, every shot is going to automatically have all kinds of details in it and you're just deciding where to aim the camera and position objects and what kind of lighting and depth of focus you're going to have. The adherence to realism fills in millions of little details because the computer is doing that for you automatically. Exaggeration is tightly constrained as a rendering engine that models every animal down to its skeleton plays out action in a scene that has 1G gravity, etc.

You can't even really tell the animals are "bowing" to the king in the 3D trailer because animal faces are far more expressionless than in a hand-drawn cartoon, their body models aren't free to morph in the same way in because they don't want to invoke the uncanny valley, etc.

Part of the effectiveness of Pixar movies is their staying the "squishy/bouncy" realm of realism -- rather than every freckle and pore on their skin and every strand of hair being rendered. That could've worked a lot better, visually, than this. Realism is a cage.

Dial it back to this level of realism, maybe?

lol if it looked like that I'd laugh my ass off.

I think attempting to turn TLK photorealistic/"live action" is a mistake. It makes sense for a multitude of other of Disney's animated properties, as they have either have human characters to bounce off the CG creatures (The Jungle Book) and/or magical elements to explain away the over the top sequences (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast). All TLK has is animals talking to each other, and it remains to be seen how well will that work out in a photorealistic environment with almost non-existent anthropomorphism and highly subdued animation and emoting, with a somewhat bland aesthetic to boot.

What's this going to look like in this movie, I wonder.

5tw2Ait.gif

At least in this case they'll have to figure out new ideas since they won't be able to recreate it. :P I guess we'll see.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

5tw2Ait.gif

At least in this case they'll have to figure out new ideas since they won't be able to recreate it. :P I guess we'll see.

Why wouldn't they be able to recreate that?

They can't animate a CGI flying bird and put a CGI lion on a CGI ostrich?

What is this thread even?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
They cast Seth Rogen, thousand percent their will be comedy. Also that casting is hilarious because even as someone who likes him, when I heard he was cast I was like "what?! Really?!". And then when you think about him voicing pumba it makes perfect sense. Go further down that rabbit hole and the realization hits that timon and pumba were definitely stoners lol
Seth Rogen was in Steve Jobs and he was super serious as Woz. Although that's still his only serious role to this day.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
lol if it looked like that I'd laugh my ass off.

I think attempting to turn TLK photorealistic/"live action" is a mistake. It makes sense for a multitude of other of Disney's animated properties, as they have either have human characters to bounce off the CG creatures (The Jungle Book) and/or magical elements to explain away the over the top sequences (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast). All TLK has is animals talking to each other, and it remains to be seen how well will that work out in a photorealistic environment with almost non-existent anthropomorphism and highly subdued animation and emoting, with a somewhat bland aesthetic to boot.

5tw2Ait.gif

I'm thinking about a What Dreams May Come type of style.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Really? With what they've shown, you think for the I Just Can't Wait To Be King sequence they're gonna keep the constantly changing color palettes, the abstract visuals and just the overall ridiculousness? None of that is going to work with the aesthetic they've chosen.

f3nWUkn.gif

Not even the design of Pride Rock survived as-is, they just had to go with something that looked more plausible. But this, you think this will remain the same.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

The whole point of these CGI/"photo realistic" remakes of Disney's cartoon films is to not look like a cartoon/to look as "real" as possible to the target audience. The poster is saying it would be difficult to do that scene 1 to 1 (color palette, stylized/exaggerated environments, animal poses, etc...) and continue to look "real" to the target audience (not that I think they would attempt that anyway, vs doing something new).

Oct 27, 2017
$2.5b is (almost way) too high imo. TFA and IW, two of the most hyped and biggest movies of all time, "only" did $2b ww. That is the goal. $700m dom and $1.3b os.
The Lion King is a 4 quadrant movie far more than either of those two properties.

It depends on whether or not the buzz is there off of critical acclaim and how its legs hold up though. And China.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's making so much money
Listen I know I said that YouTube views mattered when it came to box-office take before the release of Venom. But let's be honest here, this is the teaser. It's not even the official first trailer. Do you think these same number of views will return? So let's wait, and see when trailer #1 shows up before we can say this is making bank.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Really? With what they've shown, you think for the I Just Can't Wait To Be King sequence they're gonna keep the constantly changing color palettes, the abstract visuals and just the overall ridiculousness? None of that is going to work with the aesthetic they've chosen.

f3nWUkn.gif

Not even the design of Pride Rock survived as-is, they just had to go with something that looked more plausible. But this, you think this will remain the same.

It is very hard to imagine this with real animals/the look that they're going for.

But then again I don't want a 1:1 CGI adaptation.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

f3nWUkn.gif

uh so what if it doesn't?

I want to see a live-action adaptation of the animation and curious to see how they will do it.

Do i get hell-bent when I see an animation adaptation of a live-action thing? No I do not. I'd watch an anime version of Godzilla and a live-action one. Two different purposes. Big fucking deal.

People act like it's the end of the fucking world. It's a live-action take on the animated film. That's it. To people complaining about it why the fuck does it matter to you that it gets released?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
3b requires multiple rewatches from a decent percentage of the audience.

What are the chances that people are going to go back for multiple rewatches when the first viewing will almost certainly feel like something they've seen before in itself?

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Well why does harmless criticism get to you? Did you work on the film?
because it already exists and we will get months and months of, "but why are they making this?!" and no that is not constructive criticism. It's been a few years since Disney started its initiative to create live-action films of their animated films and to this day we still get that question. It is okay if they do not do all those colourful stuff from the animation because those kinds of scenes are unique to animation. They're gonna do their own take for the live action because it is a live action.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because it already exists and we will get months and months of, "but why are they making this?!" and no that is not constructive criticism. It's been a few years since Disney started its initiative to create live-action films of their animated films and to this day we still get that question. It is okay if they do not do all those colourful stuff from the animation because those kinds of scenes are unique to animation. They're gonna do their own take for the live action because it is a live action.
Okay, but in the meantime we are stating our opinion in a non aggressive manner. Like I didn't use... The F-word.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I wasn't all that into the original and I don't like these remakes much, but this is probably the one they'll be least likely to screw up (struggling to say nice things about Beauty and the Beast...)

I still want to punch the lady who was in the theater when I saw Black Panther and started singing the intro to the movie during one of the more pivotal scenes. Christ.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is this movie going to be the new Last Jedi around here? Because it sure as hell seems like it.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3b requires multiple rewatches from a decent percentage of the audience.

What are the chances that people are going to go back for multiple rewatches when the first viewing will almost certainly feel like something they've seen before in itself?

you do realize 2-3 new generations have come up since TLK came out

This isn't going to the same movie, sure the teaser tried to invoke nostalgia, but they've removed certain songs added others to refresh the story

so it won't be the same movie scene for scene

then you have age groups from fucking 5-99 demographic that this will be target as

why did your Avatar make bank, it was the 3D, word of mouth, and legs

right now TLK is a lock for 2 billion easy. The thing is what competition it will have at the tail end of the summer blockbuster bonanza and if it received rave critical reviews
word of mouth will make this a movie become an event just like avatar

also never go against Beyonce and her adoring ravenous fans
if her song is a banger, holy shit, it will make people flock to the theaters

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you seriously ignoring the background colour shifting and surreal geometry that's going on? That'll never work in a photorealistic movie unless Simba does drugs before every number.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
you do realize 2-3 new generations have come up since TLK came out

This isn't going to the same movie, sure the teaser tried to invoke nostalgia, but they've removed certain songs added others to refresh the story

so it won't be the same movie scene for scene

then you have age groups from fucking 5-99 demographic that this will be target as

why did your Avatar make bank, it was the 3D, word of mouth, and legs

right now TLK is a lock for 2 billion easy. The thing is what competition it will have at the tail end of the summer blockbuster bonanza and if it received race critical reviews
word of mouth will make this a movie become an event just like avatar

also never go against Beyonce and her adoring ravenous fans
if her song is a banger, holy shit, it will make people flock to the theaters
I'm saying the word of mouth will not be like Avatar. So I don't think they're comparable.

Avatar was something new and invoked multiple rewatches for that pure escapism. This is a visually updated remake that at least half the audience will have seen before.

It will make huge bank. But it won't make Avatar bank.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
To people complaining about it why the fuck does it matter to you that it gets released?

First off, language please.

Secondly, it doesn't matter that much at all. I think some of us are looking at this through the lens of an artist. There's so much you can do with this particular story. From what Disney has shown us, they are more than happy to utilize the same angles when CGI can allow them to do something different.

I personally can't wait until the Art of book for this film releases to see what they have to say about the design process.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying the word of mouth will not be like Avatar. So I don't think they're comparable.

Avatar was something new and invoked multiple rewatches for that pure escapism. This is a visually updated remake that at least half the audience will have seen before.

It will make huge bank. But it won't make Avatar bank.

But do you think this will suck even more than Avatar? Like, that's gonna be tough to do right?