• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This show got real bad.

Terrible acting. Cliched Western plots redressed 1:1. Hamfisted fanservice. Terrible acting. Empty sets. Barely touches what is one of the most interesting unexplored periods in the current lore.

Ugh. I had high hopes at the beginning, really hope they turn it around.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Didn't like it. Mos Eisley looked more bustling in the original movies.

I also agree with a previous poster who said the guild should have been in Mos Eisley and not some random planet.

It's a bit much to say that his ship just happened to be near Tatooine.
Maybe its the most simplest solution. Ibthink a poster said it before. Droids own the cantina now, maybe thats why its not what its use to be.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This show got real bad.

Terrible acting. Cliched Western plots redressed 1:1. Hamfisted fanservice. Terrible acting. Empty sets. Barely touches what is one of the most interesting unexplored periods in the current lore.

I mean, these were a lot of my complaints even since EP1 and have been an issue from the get go. I'm still enjoying the show for what it is, and I've gotten over my massive disappointment after the premiere.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is it me, or was this track (barring the end stinger) not actually in the final episode?

It's a shame because it's pretty great

It was definitely meant for that first minute of the episode. I went and played the track over the episode and it syncs up perfectly.

The track is fantastic but I don't think it made too much of a difference. Kind of prefer the aired version of the scene because it's like a callback to the Jango/Obi-Wan dogfight in Attack of the Clones. Just silence, some dialog, and sound effects.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Would it be unfair to summarize this series (so far) as 'Lone Wolf' & Cub: Supēsu'?

Because you really can't go wrong with a story about the testament of the idea of fatherhood, even for a man who has seen the worst in others, can be protective and loving.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I was talking about a bigger plot element and depth, I'm not talking about the galaxy being at stake.

Right now the last couple episodes feel like a network show that is 24 episodes. It reminds me of Fringe, about the only network show I ever invested in. You get like one nugget at the end but the rest of the episode is a new adventure of the week. So far the amount of recurring characters is ridiculously limited, maybe three, and nobody is really standing out. If this show didn't have Baby Yoda it would be getting a lot more flak.

Show me Carl Weathers and Werner Herzog doing something in between scenes with Mando and the kid.

The show needs a writers room and proper show runner. Do we know if that's changed with season 2?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would it be unfair to summarize this series (so far) as 'Lone Wolf' & Cub: Supēsu'?

Because you really can't go wrong with a story about the testament of the idea of fatherhood, even for a man who has seen the worst in others, can be protective and loving.
Except despite the circumstances mando is hilarious unprotective of a child he knows hundreds if not thousands of people are after trying to kill. Dude just straight up leaves that thing unsupervised any chance he gets.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the galaxy always have to be at stake? You only have to wait a couple more weeks for that plot to hit theaters.

Western style standalone adventures that slowly expand the universe is way more interesting to me.

The problem to me isn't that the galaxy isn't at stake or that the adventures are standalone. It's that the adventures themselves have no substance to them and that the main character is uninteresting.

I'm fine with a story-of-the-week format, but so far these stories have been incredibly straightforward and unsuprising. Mando needs something (Money, a place to stay, ...) Mando gets a job to get that thing,, Mando has a plan to do the job, Mando executes the plan, something happens and Mando needs to leave. That's basically the majority of the stories so far. It's not really interesting to watch because there is very little opposition , very little in the way of setbacks.

And because of this we also don't get to know him as a character. He is seldomly forced to reveal himself or make unexpected choices. After 5 episodes we still don't know who Mando really is and what his wants and needs are. He's a bad-ass dude doing bad-ass stuff, with a hint of a dark past. And as he is masked we can't even read his emotions. The only character moments we had were related to the child (him killing the IG-droid and stealiing the kid back) and his contact with the widow.

A 'Man With No Name'-like character like this isn't necessairily a bad thing. But for it to work the stories you place him in have to be exciting and interesting, or the characters he comes into contact with and helps have to be. But in Mandalorian both of these aspects leave a lot to be desired too.

It's frustrating because at times the series does come close. I liked Episode 3 because it felt like for the first time we saw Mando make an interesting choice. And I liked Episode 4 too because it had a more interesting (but somewhat underdeveloped) setting and conflict, and had two kind of interesting side characters. It's also frustrating because the potential is there to tell a story of a man trying to find his way back in a world that has suddenly changed, but the backdrop of the Empire falling apart is undercooked and underused.

So what's left is some fun cool-looking Star Wars action and interesting Star Wars aesthetics. But that's all windowdressing for a story that lacks substance

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The people who think there's not enough plot per hour must hate Samurai movies.

i think this is more like per 27 minutes.......after the recap its almost short enough to fit into a 30 minute tv block.

Either way this was definitely the weakest episode they have had so far. I still enjoyed it.....but it was pretty weak.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The people who think there's not enough plot per hour must hate Samurai movies.
I love samurai movies. It's not the concept that is flawed in Mando, it's the execution. No interesting plots, combined with no interesting characters, combined with some iffy performances in the worst episodes.

The biggest problem of Mandalorian isn't that the plots are thin, it's that the plots aren't there to tell a story or explore a world or character. The plots are often just there. Empty shells. Only episode 3 and 4 did better in that regard.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hope no one involved in this show works on the Obi-Wan mini series. It would absolutely crush me if this is the quality we'll continue to receive from their spinoff shows.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
The "never remove your armor in front of others" thing sounds really silly and far too impractical to me. I'm assuming this is a new canon thing? I don't remember that ever being an issue for Mandalorians in the old EU.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The "never remove your armor in front of others" thing sounds really silly and far too impractical to me. I'm assuming this is a new canon thing? I don't remember that ever being an issue for Mandalorians in the old EU.
Presumably they are a more fanatical offshoot of traditional mandalorian orders.

Think this is the first time it's been mentioned that mandalorians were nearly wiped out, so it might technically fall into 'retcon' territory.

Dec 31, 2017
It's a typical SW bastardization of an interesting or unique on-screen visual cue (something Lucas was overly guilty of in the prequels). It probably started from a discussion that went something like this: Boba Fett was never seen without his helmet off, so that must apply to all Mandalorians.
In the pre-Internet days, this may have been a decent "hook" for the show, but now it only serves to highlight how pressed for ideas F&F are.

But does it really even matter at this point? Disney has given SW writers liberal use of their IP. But eventually it will be a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth, and they will need to introduce time travel to wipe the slate clean.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope no one involved in this show works on the Obi-Wan mini series. It would absolutely crush me if this is the quality we'll continue to receive from their spinoff shows.
Obi Wan will be directed by Deborah Chow, who directed two episodes of Mandalorian (3, which is one of the better ones, and 7). But Favreau is not involved ifrc

I feel like Obi Wan might have more substance to it, as it started its life as a spin-off movie. The chances it is a story of the week style show with little character are slimmer

New002

Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I are really enjoying the show, and while we've all seen the Star Wars movies we are not what you'd call Star Wars fans. Personally I just watch the movies and enjoy them for the popcorn level entertainment they are. Same goes for this show. A bit surprised to see it seemingly getting so much hate here, but at the the same time it's Star Wars so the hate feels pretty inevitable, especially online. The show isn't perfect no, but at least for me it's entertaining and engaging. Looking forward to the next 3 eps.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
My friends and I are really enjoying the show, and while we've all seen the Star Wars movies we are not what you'd call Star Wars fans. Personally I just watch the movies and enjoy them for the popcorn level entertainment they are. Same goes for this show. A bit surprised to see it seemingly getting so much hate here, but at the the same time it's Star Wars so the hate feels pretty inevitable, especially online. The show isn't perfect no, but at least for me it's entertaining and engaging. Looking forward to the next 3 eps.

I also really enjoyed the latest episode, but you're right, looking at this thread I have no desire to try and discuss that here.

ResetEra could really use a thread for people who are enjoying this show and who want to discuss it without the conversation being overwhelmed by people who just want to shit on it.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that is the downside of weekly releases. If the show has a weaker chapter, the negativity will dominate the discussion till the next friday.

While I was down on the episode, its good to have perspective though. The majority of people who voted thought the chapter was at least OK, which seems to be in line with the critical reception so far.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't explore the idea of fatherhood though. It has some imagery that hints at it. It's basically fatherhood meme fodder but past that there's really nothing. It's all surface level. For a father figure he's really careless and doesn't seem to even be that attached. It doesn't show any emotion, struggle, or connection.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I also really enjoyed the latest episode, but you're right, looking at this thread I have no desire to try and discuss that here.

ResetEra could really use a thread for people who are enjoying this show and who want to discuss it without the conversation being overwhelmed by people who just want to shit on it.

Yeah I popped in here to see if there was some fun discussion to be had but I don't think this thread is the place for me unfortunately. I think I'm approaching this show a lot differently than peeps in this thread I, and that's fine it is what it is.

I guess that is the downside of weekly releases. If the show has a weaker chapter, the negativity will dominate the discussion till the next friday.

Could be. It's an interesting point, especially with all the threads and discussions I've seen here regarding binge releases vs weekly and one of the points for weekly being it allows for a better discussion, but on the flip-side I guess it might also allow for a snowball of negativity from week to week that consumes the discussion.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
It doesn't explore the idea of fatherhood though. It has some imagery that hints at it. It's basically fatherhood meme fodder but past that there's really nothing. It's all surface level. For a father figure he's really careless and doesn't seem to even be that attached. It doesn't show any emotion, struggle, or connection.

The lack of any fatherly responsibility is driven home by the fact that all the bounty hunters that are out to kill the child have these magical fobs that can track a target across the galaxy. Why would he ever leave the child alone on the ship knowing that?

Seriously, those fobs create so many narrative problems for The Mandalorian, it's crazy. How can the Mandy and Baby Yoda ever lay low, even on the remotest, most primitive farming planet, when the guild all carry devices that hone directly in on them? The rookie in the latest episode even says that he managed to locate his target on Tatooine by following the fob, so it's not as if they only activate in the local vicinity of the target.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They really need to introduce his plan to solve this situation - either by explaining more about the baby or by showing things of his past that connect to how he's able so save baby Yoda.

If this is a show that's gonna go from week to week without anything changing, it's not gonna stay interesting for long.

So far I'm still enjoying the ride and looking forward to see what's gonna pop up from the old days this time. I loved the droids this episode and hopefully, some Episode I droids are gonna find their way back. It's by far the thing the prequels got right the most - they are full of personality and we'll designed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This show got real bad.

The show has always been like this. Like somebody said, Jon Favreau made a show about when he played with Star Wars action figures during his childhood.

Still enjoyable, but there is no depth to it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They really need to introduce his plan to solve this situation - either by explaining more about the baby or by showing things of his past that connect to how he's able so save baby Yoda.

If this is a show that's gonna go from week to week without anything changing, it's not gonna stay interesting for long.

So far I'm still enjoying the ride and looking forward to see what's gonna pop up from the old days this time. I loved the droids this episode and hopefully, some Episode I droids are gonna find their way back. It's by far the thing the prequels got right the most - they are full of personality and we'll designed.
The show had better kick into high gear next episode. It's running out of time to turn this season into a mostly good one with a dip in the middle.

I liked the droids too. Incorporating droid designs and older tech into newer stories is one of the best ways to make Star Wars' setting feel like a truly continuous world, across all the films and shows.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Anyone else disappointed that Nick Nolte's character is only in two episodes? I really digged that dude, really cool character. Wish he would team up with Mando.

I also saw Gina Carano is listed for two more episodes, I don't like that at all.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
When I was talking about a bigger plot element and depth, I'm not talking about the galaxy being at stake.

Right now the last couple episodes feel like a network show that is 24 episodes. It reminds me of Fringe, about the only network show I ever invested in. You get like one nugget at the end but the rest of the episode is a new adventure of the week. So far the amount of recurring characters is ridiculously limited, maybe three, and nobody is really standing out. If this show didn't have Baby Yoda it would be getting a lot more flak.

Show me Carl Weathers and Werner Herzog doing something in between scenes with Mando and the kid.

The show needs a writers room and proper show runner. Do we know if that's changed with season 2?
I think it's just Favreau and Filoni doing the writing again

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
For me the first three eps are the better ones, I enjoyed it. It started off nicely and definitely felt like Star Wars.

I also really enjoyed the stuff with the Jawas, that was nice and with the baby doing his thing to that creature. The scenes with Kuiiil were nice as well, the Nick Nolte character. More of that please, less like 4 and 5.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I feel like maybe every 100 posts it needs to be said this show is more for children than older fans. I'm resigned to that so it doesn't seem bad at all, it seems great to me.

Dec 31, 2017
The lack of any fatherly responsibility is driven home by the fact that all the bounty hunters that are out to kill the child have these magical fobs that can track a target across the galaxy. Why would he ever leave the child alone on the ship knowing that?

Seriously, those fobs create so many narrative problems for The Mandalorian, it's crazy. How can the Mandy and Baby Yoda ever lay low, even on the remotest, most primitive farming planet, when the guild all carry devices that hone directly in on them? The rookie in the latest episode even says that he managed to locate his target on Tatooine by following the fob, so it's not as if they only activate in the local vicinity of the target.
Not to mention the hundreds of other times FOBs would have been useful in Star Wars stories, but didn't exist.

Mando knows FOBs are useless against plot armor, so he dumps the Child on the first available person.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Pee-ew, that was a horrible episode. I was bored about 10mins in and for a thirty minute show, that's a horrible sign. I dread to think what the show would be like if each episode was hitting close to 1hr, it's clear they don't have much in way of story or plot, it's just a show where a Mando travels the galaxy with a baby, it sounds good on paper, it's not so good when it's realised as a show.

I've actually been thinking about why I keep watching and it's because of baby Yoda. If this show didn't have baby Yoda, I would have bailed after the second episode.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
The show is clearly designed to keep children's attention, hence the smaller storylines of the week.

Honestly it reminds me a lot of Samurai Jack.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Rebels was primarily aimed at children and yet it was able to deliver satisfying one-off and longer storylines that explored interesting characters and provided plenty of quality world-building. Being kid-accessible is not an excuse and should never be used as one, it's not like kids' entertainment by definition has to be shallow. Watch a Ghibli movie.

The last two eps were Disney dropping the ball big-time in terms of hiring and managing talent.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
hqdefault.jpg

whole episode on Tattoine and they don't show the two suns

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except despite the circumstances mando is hilarious unprotective of a child he knows hundreds if not thousands of people are after trying to kill. Dude just straight up leaves that thing unsupervised any chance he gets.
Daigoro also was more of a character and had agency. Baby Yoda basically has just looked cute for the last 2-3 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.