Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She was saying before the season that Pedro was getting upset not having face scenes and ended up walking out halfway through and that they brought in boba, ahsoka and bo-katan to fill in for him.

She kept saying other trades and such were just covering for Disney.

At the point she was clearly wrong she began going wild with it

Well that's 20 shades of dumb.

"Actor hired for masked role upset by lack of face scenes!"

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

chef-kiss-gif.gif

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd go with "Grogu's goodbye to Din" personally, but Luke's arrival would be next up, with Mayfeld's snap in third. It's nice there's enough good moments to make a list out of them, I couldn't do that with S1.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Can I just take a moment to complain about the editing of Mando reacting to Gideon's shots. Straight up makes him look like he's 2 seconds behind everyone else in the room.

Can't actually believe they went and wrote Grogu off the show. I was adamant that it wasn't going to happen (and also that it would mean Luke wouldn't be the Jedi that responded, since he'd have no reason not to take Grogu away). I think I was more excited about R2 turning up than Luke, love that droid.

I want a special one off episode cutting between Grogu's escape from Order 66 and him witnessing Luke's Academy being destroyed. Like 1917, just following one guy through all this chaos, no dialogue other than characters off screen talking to him etc.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It was Mayfeld for me. That whole scene was just so well done.

Also, the fact that my Google news feed spoiled me on Luke kinda took the wind out of those sails for a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
A friend who works in TV VFX pointed out to me that the deepfake only looks this good due to the base already looking pretty close to Hamill to begin with. So it's def not as simple as just slapping a young Hamill face on a stand in like a lot of people think. Even when you look at other deepfakes that were posted ITT they still look off, even more so compared to this one.
Of course, the existing VFX has given it a head start. Mainly with the shape/proportions. There's a lot of work with the overall head done besides just the face. It's more involved than just pasting a face on top of another actor. Practically the whole head gets replaced because their proportions aren't going to be the same. But if Hollywood incorporated technology like this into their workflow it could have great results.

I don't mean to imply that they should completely abandon all other vfx work to do exclusively deepfaking and calling it done. I don't know why whenever someone complements deepfake technology, some people act like that means abandoning the entirety of the vfx industry, as if they're just going to hit render and quit. It would be great if they used this in their process. It wouldn't replace the entire process, but it would replace and/or augment important parts of it.

Deepfake doesn't do the head, it only does the face. They'd still have to do the work with the overall head and neck, plus blending and a lot of other tweaks, but instead of animating and rendering an emoting cgi face the traditional way, they could let the deepfake animate with the set actor's actual performance for more natural movement. Then put the rest of their bandwidth into blending that deepface layer into the cg head replacement that goes around/behind it, and fixing any artifacts or other unwanted quirks from that process (since the automation is rarely perfect).

For instance, here the same channel did a deepfake of Ford in Solo. There was no underlying cgi to give it a head start like with Luke, so it's a more fair assessment of the tech's performance. The face and animation quality are still good, I believe that's a usable face layer to start with. However while it looks good, obviously the head/face proportions are wrong. That's where the more traditional vfx work would come in. And putting these tools together could save them the trouble of manually recreating the face in every scene, while also producing a better final result.

Adding a new tool to the box doesn't mean all the other tools stop existing.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The Mayfield scene for sure, followed by Din and Cobb taking on the dragon. The two scenes with the most tension all season.

I had almost forgotten I was watching Star Wars during the Mayfield scene until all that tension was undercut by the hilarious PEW sound of the blaster.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I've added a poll so you can vote for your favourite moment of Season 2.

I had to narrow down the choices to fit but all the obvious ones are there.

Voted for Ahsoka. People were hyped for Luke but that episode just hit all the buttons for me, i was so happy to finally see her in live action. Finally learning more about Grogu and getting his name, Ahsoka being a badass and Mando bonding with the kid. Easily the best episode of the season to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't vote for Mayfeld but I respect that choice so much. It was well written and filled with emotion. It should probably win the poll.
I chose Fett armor just because I think that's the most hype I felt all season. What can I say, it doesn't have nearly the emotion of mayfeld's scene but it just got me good regardless. Tickled the nerdy part of my brain just right I suppose.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I'm in the minority voting for the mandalorians boarding that imperial ship. I guess I liked it because it was the closest I could get to a space marine show, also the appearances of Asohka, Fett and Luke did nothing for me. I'm a sci fi fan but I'm pretty mixed regarding Star Wars.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm really impressed by the visual quality of the show. They're not cheaping out on effects which is often a problem when a movie franchise starts making TV.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually voted for Cobb Vanth only because that was a huge moment for people who read the books.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mando Luke does not contradict TLJ Luke in any way. Straight up garbage level discourse that you would expect to read in the youtube or instagram comment section.

Yeah, I dunno how you could say one contradicts the other when he barely does or says anything in The Mandalorian. He just shows up, kicks butt, grabs Grogu and bails. We don't really learn anything about his circumstances. The only thing it possibly contradicts is the idea that Luke had no students between Leia and Ben but that's easily handwaved or ignored. Other than that the Luke we saw in The Mandalorian is simply the Luke we've waited to see since the original trilogy ended, the guy that walked into Jabba's Palace or the second Death Star without an ounce of doubt or hesitation. When we saw him tear through the Dark Troopers, I couldn't help but think that's the guy that beat Darth Vader alright.

Nov 27, 2020
Like Mando S1 lol. I don't even know why we need 2 separate series about bounty hunters in Mandalorian armor
Presumably, Din and Boba's paths are going to be quite different from here on out. Din seems to be on a path to be an enlightened Mandalorian, taking the best from all aspects of their culture. Boba seems to be diving head first into the world of scum and villainy. Maybe a bit more honorable, but still ruthless. They'll make for interesting contrasts. I also wonder if this Boba Fett show is going to be where we see concepts from the Boba Fett movie and the Underworld series play out?

Oct 28, 2017
I saw the deepfake stuff yesterday and I don't think it's 'that' much better than what Disney can already do and save themselves the licensing fees in the process.

I thought Disney tech Luke was fine until his mouth tried to match the dialogue and then it all fell apart. It didn't ruin anything for me though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I was spoiled by some rando jerk on Twitter but I still voted Skywalker. That final 4 minutes, I teared up. Not going to lie. Like HelloGreedo video says, it's sugar, tasty but in moderation. But I bet a lot of people wanted to see that Luke in the STs , so it's nice to see him post ROTJ do this badass stuff, which actually elevates what happens to him later.

I'm really impressed by the visual quality of the show. They're not cheaping out on effects which is often a problem when a movie franchise starts making TV.

Doesn't hurt Lucasfilm owns ILM and its all backed by Disney. They are treating it like a feature.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything this Luke contradicts the OT. The amount of time between ROTJ and The Mandalorian is 5 years, which is longer than between any of the OT films, yet Luke looks like a carbon copy of his ROTJ self

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I voted in the poll, but my moment was when Thrawn was mentioned. I read the first Thrawn books when they came out decades ago. I've been a massive Thrawn fan this entire time. To hear him mentioned in live action SW was incredible.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd imagine Boba is going to have a GTA: Tatooine kind of "rags to crime lord" story while Din is going to start getting mixed up in grand Mandalorian politics.

And, to me, the only way we get to appreciate that for Boba in full, is if we have some more flash backs. The "Lil Boba" eps on Clone Wars were some good stuff, so I wouldn't mind at all getting some reprisals, there. Let alone the "shootout" we were denied seeing.

At least Fennec's past will be covered more in "Bad Batch", so there's not as much need there.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
And, to me, the only way we get to appreciate that for Boba in full, is if we have some more flash backs. The "Lil Boba" eps on Clone Wars were some good stuff, so I wouldn't mind at all getting some reprisals, there. Let alone the "shootout" we were denied seeing.

At least Fennec's past will be covered more in "Bad Batch", so there's not as much need there.

I mean I wanna see that shoot out in live action. Cad Bane is one of those characters I feel like deserves to make the jump.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I chose Mayfeld.. but my second choice would probably be the fake 'IMAX' camera effect they used in Chapter 9 when facing the Krayt Dragon.

First time you could really notice they increased their VFX budget by a ton.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I mean I wanna see that shoot out in live action. Cad Bane is one of those characters I feel like deserves to make the jump.

I'd agree. My only thing is that I wonder if they could truly make audiences who didn't watch TCW appreciate how much of a badass this guy was. Obviously, Filoni and Favreau don't care about putting in characters that mainstream SW fans don't know (or care about), as certainly Ahsoka and Bo-katan proved. However, in those cases, I think it worked out well because even if you didn't know them, a new audience got a chance to be introduced to them, using Din (who also didn't know these people) as a surrogate.

Such an approach wouldn't work nearly as well with Boba and Cad, because there's history there that, if you didn't see TCW, you won't be able to appreciate, as much. The onus would definitely have to be on the showrunners to make the audience care, and that would likely take a few eps.

If It were me? I would just make the idea that Boba and Cad did have that shoot out (which played out in a long flashback about Boba's insurrection), but both of them still lived after the encounter. Boba being alive, icing Fortuna and now setting up shop on Tatooine would probably get Cad's attention, thanks to his old Hutt connections. And then the show plays up the two meeting again, after all this time.

I dunno how long Duros people are supposed to live, but I can't imagine an alien guy pushing 70 would be all that bad off, knowing how SW aliens typically age slower.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
?

Mark looked like this in 1988 (5 years after the release of ROTJ):
CKrfzc0.png

In Mando he looks too similar to ROTJ, as if no time has passed at all
So he uses his lightsaber to shave maybe like any grown ass jedi?

Edit: if you go CGI mark.. you get more options for customization, but it will look terrible.
If you go deepfake like here, you are very limited to your original footage. And lets be honest here, the reason mark looks older on that picture is because of the beard and he is smiling, adding wrinkles to his eyes and cheeks. We are talking about 5 years here, some people look exactly the same for 10+ years.

You are being extremely picky.

Last edited:

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Geeze this deepfake stuff is wild
When I see a random channel on the youtube pumping this out over a weekend it makes me wonder what the hell hollywood is even doing still doing it the old fashioned way
if this is what a fan can do in a weekend imagine how it could look if a big postproduction used it
I think Luke looked good enough to accomplish what it needed to in the episode, but I see this and wonder what crazy person would leave this technology on the bench
www.youtube.com

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker Deepfake

► Paperspace is the computing cloud platform built for the future to power a wide range of next-generation applications. Learn more at: https://www.paperspac...
A26AfDd.jpg
Yeeeeah not seeing this. It looks better in stills, but a lot less emotive and stiff in motion.

Plus you're a lot more limited in resolution.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
People really think grogu is out of the show for good? I can't help but feel they'll be reunited permanently again somehow

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
So I know someone who thinks that Grogu is obviously going to end up becoming some super evil big bad dark jedi lol