• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Paulie and Silvio aren't known for Emmy-award winning acting. They're known for the show's funnier lines and for counseling Tony.

The writing lets these characters down because they don't have anything to do yet.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super sharp on the lore, but I'm surprised we got Silvio and Pauline and pussy shoved down our throats but no Richie Aprile, Feech, or Jackie's dad?

im also not clear on who was the "don" as that time

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I enjoyed the film primarily because of the great acting and getting to see these characters again. Dickie, Harold, Giuseppina, and Livia in particular were so good.

But imo the story left a lot to be desired. Dickie's arc . . . he was a dick and then he died? Ok. I don't really understand Tony's arc. Dickie makes him pinky swear to avoid criminal activity, he is adamant he wants nothing to do with Mafia life by throwing speakers out the window, then Dickie is murdered and now he makes a pinky swear promising to be a gangster? I just didn't understand that character's jump, maybe I missed something.

I also didn't like how Harold's plot just fell off a cliff, and how Christopher provides narration from beyond the grave without ever really saying anything meaningful. This is a guy who was murdered by Tony, self aware about his own death, narrating a story about his father and Tony. But he never comes to terms with anything, or provide any commentary on what happened to him or what happened to his father. He's just a disembodied ghost voice. Is his only purpose to be self referential for fans? I don't really understand the choice to have him narrate.

Basically I guess I feel that several plot lines were half baked. Maybe the film tried to do too much.

It was still enjoyable though and I'll watch anything Sopranos related.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Dickie makes him pinky swear to avoid criminal activity, he is adamant he wants nothing to do with Mafia life by throwing speakers out the window, then Dickie is murdered and now he makes a pinky swear promising to be a gangster? I just didn't understand that character's jump, maybe I missed something.

As per his last conversation with Silvio he has him call Tony to discuss becoming involved at the restaurant we see him waiting at in the end.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
depdvwb-9160d3a5-d8a3-411e-a494-2930e0d9fc01.jpg

Young Paulie not living up to the hype.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
As per his last conversation with Silvio he has him call Tony to discuss becoming involved at the restaurant we see him waiting at in the end.

This. The idea is that perhaps if Dickie lived he would've been able to successfully steer Tony away from that life. However, his death ensured Tony would become a gangster.

I also didn't like how Harold's plot just fell off a cliff, and how Christopher provides narration from beyond the grave without ever really saying anything meaningful. This is a guy who was murdered by Tony, self aware about his own death, narrating a story about his father and Tony. But he never comes to terms with anything, or provide any commentary on what happened to him or what happened to his father. He's just a disembodied ghost voice. Is his only purpose to be self referential for fans? I don't really understand the choice to have him narrate.

I agree with this though.

Last edited:

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Overall I enjoy it, but it has its shortcomings.

Wish there was more narration from Christopher and a bit more humor throughout the film.

The blind baseball scene was unnecessary and just out of place.

The film does end abruptly and felt rushed.

The marketing of the film leads heavily into Michael as Tony, but in actuality, Michael is only in less than half of the film. From a marketing viewpoint, makes total sense, given the popularity of the character, but was pleasantly surprised to see less of him.

Alessandro, Leslie, Vera, Michael, and Michela all do wonderful work with their characters.

Corey Stoll does an amazing job and is the surprise performance of the film.

Liotta is fine, but wish they didn't introduce the twin brother unless that's something mentioned in the show, I don't remember hearing about it.

As for Bernthal, no.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
This. The idea is that perhaps if Dickie lived he would've been able to successfully steer Tony away from that life. However, his death ensured Tony would become a gangster.
Nah he gave up on trying to not have him get involved when he set up the meeting. If he didn't want him to get in he would have kept ignoring him. Silvio convinced him to change his mind because he felt he would be a good addition. So in essence his death was deserved because he ignored his uncle's advice and his own desire to do a good dead by deciding to let Tony into the "family".

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few thoughts, but those last 20 seconds, and the theme kicks in, WHEW! I did a rewind and watched the ending twice. Felt good, damn..But holy shit Uncle Junior what a godawful piece of shit.

I dunno if focusing on Dickie was such a great idea tbh. I think the actor knocked it out of the park. I felt like everyone did a fantastic fucking job, and probably Ray Liotta's career best performance (yes, better than Goodfellas!). Essentially a double role, and playing two wildly different, polar opposite characters. I dont know if Tony Soprano Jr did a knockout job though. Felt he was alright. So yeah Dickie's story was a bit over the place. He's a racist and an all around piece of shit, but he was good to Tony soo...? I dont know what that makes him. He killed his own dad, made his step-mom his mistress and then kills her.

I felt the narration was forced though. Did studio mandate it, because it felt people were too alienated? I think it works perfectly fine without Christopher narrating it. I think overall it is an 8/10 movie. I dont think it really "defined" Tony Soprano. It was just...a slice of life in Newark Mafia. Maybe could have worked as a special Sopranros extended episode or something.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up and you're right – and there's no character with that last name in movie. Somehow the don never shows up; Incredible

David Chase plays Eckley DiMeo at Buddha's funeral - and Junior says "Eckley, how's the boy?" I believe he is mentioned in season 1 as being in prison with a life sentence.

kcrq3syq6yq71.jpg

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I also didn't like how Christopher provides narration from beyond the grave without ever really saying anything meaningful. This is a guy who was murdered by Tony, self aware about his own death, narrating a story about his father and Tony. But he never comes to terms with anything, or provide any commentary on what happened to him or what happened to his father. He's just a disembodied ghost voice. Is his only purpose to be self referential for fans? I don't really understand the choice to have him narrate.

I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the narration was added last minute, after test screenings, because viewers couldn't work out who certain characters were.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
The original framing of the movie was going to involve Edie Falco returning as Carmela, but they changed direction and those scenes were cut for Chris's narration.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
One little touch that I enjoyed was that Christopher's whole "The Great Dickie Moltisanti was nothing more than an alcoholic and a junkie" speech was a result of Livia passing it around for 30 years.

Could be wrong though, with the beep baseball and disappearing uncle scene.

Last edited:

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I felt like this prequel was totally useless and added nothing to the whole Sopranos franchise apart from showing how insecure Junior was and has always been. Maybe it could have worked as a series so each character got fleshed out properly but here everything goes by too fast. I just finished the sopranos for the first time last month and it doesn't even come close.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, it's a little mixed and the Sopranos isn't a show that really needs a prequel, but spending more time with the characters and world is worth it. Some good performances, and I really enjoyed the Newark riots and Harold's character. I think this would have worked so much better as a mini series, and if Chase does produce more, which is likely, I'd prefer there to be mini series going forward

Madness80

Feb 28, 2018
So Tony never knew who really killed Dicky? It was always sus if that cop he had Christopher kill even did it in the show, but I always assumed Tony knew the truth.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
So Tony never knew who really killed Dicky? It was always sus if that cop he had Christopher kill even did it in the show, but I always assumed Tony knew the truth.
Yeah it's pretty ambiguous in the show but it's pretty much confirmed now that Tony was just manipulating Chris. Or maybe even killing two birds with one stone and needed to get rid of that cop who as Tony says "outlived his usefulness"

Ralph Bighead

Jan 13, 2018
I was into this up until the ending. It just felt really, really rushed. Junior's motivation for having Dickie whacked was so half-baked.

I felt like we should have had more scenes between teenage Tony and Dickie too.

Yeah, my girlfriend and I had been speculating during the movie that Tony would observe Dickie's death or somehow learn about it. I've always had the impression that he knew more than he let on.

There's still potential that they are waiting to tell the story about how Tony learned about Dickie's death but I hate it when movies hold back for a potential sequel.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I still think you guys are being too hard on the Silvio character. It was never not going to be that.

Silvio is a very stereotypically over-the-top character on the Sopranos.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it after finishing a rewatch of Sopranos and...I was very underwhelmed. It wasn't bad though there was a lot of caricatures running around and it felt really unnecessary? I expected to see Tony grow into what we knew him as but it just..ended. Can't say I'll remember much about it or even think back to it when I think about the Sopranos.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Should have been a limited series. Moved too fast. Could have easily been 8 episodes split 4 and 4. Then again more length doesn't always fix pacing, as seen with The Irishman.

Other than that it was fine. A few laughs, some good scenes. Enjoyable, forgettable.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the film primarily because of the great acting and getting to see these characters again. Dickie, Harold, Giuseppina, and Livia in particular were so good.

But imo the story left a lot to be desired. Dickie's arc . . . he was a dick and then he died? Ok. I don't really understand Tony's arc. Dickie makes him pinky swear to avoid criminal activity, he is adamant he wants nothing to do with Mafia life by throwing speakers out the window, then Dickie is murdered and now he makes a pinky swear promising to be a gangster? I just didn't understand that character's jump, maybe I missed something.

Basically I guess I feel that several plot lines were half baked. Maybe the film tried to do too much.

It was still enjoyable though and I'll watch anything Sopranos related.

Agree with this mostly.

And yeah, the shoe-horned show references were a bit much.

Should have been a short series. It felt like 2 episodes of the show, which is fine, but definitely felt unfulfilling.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the saddest parts of this movie is that it shows that Livia did love her children and maybe if Dickie lived a little longer she might have gotten the help she needed with those meds he was going to try to get her to take.

It didn't take long for them to show the audience how much of a piece of shit all these people were though.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I still think you guys are being too hard on the Silvio character. It was never not going to be that.

Silvio is a very stereotypically over-the-top character on the Sopranos.

So is Paulie and yet Paulie's actor wasn't so over-the-top with the impersonation. Chase even said he found Paulie the most difficult to cast for as he's the most cartoonish character in the show.

One of the saddest parts of this movie is that it shows that Livia did love her children and maybe if Dickie lived a little longer she might have gotten the help she needed with those meds he was going to try to get her to take.

It didn't take long for them to show the audience how much of a piece of shit all these people were though.

Did she? She's insane. Perhaps if she had gotten medicated this would've changed things, but without she didn't show much compassion.

Oct 27, 2017
Did she? She's insane. Perhaps if she had gotten medicated this would've changed things, but without she didn't show much compassion.
There's one scene where the counselor tells her about one of Tony's most favorite memories of his life and it's about her reading a story to him in bed and just hugging him. She gets all emotional then tries to cook Tony breakfast and have a good conversation with him but it quickly goes bad because she's fucking nuts by that point and her mind is twisting her all over the place.

It's probably a sub-plot that would've been way better if the movie was a new series instead.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I agree with what everyone is saying about the disembodied voice of Christopher being narrative fan service lacking insight. I think the ghost should've been a Tony sound alike.

As far as cameos go was Ralphie, Phil, Richie or Jackie in it?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There's one scene where the counselor tells her about one of Tony's most favorite memories of his life and it's about her reading a story to him in bed and just hugging him. She gets all emotional then tries to cook Tony breakfast and have a good conversation with him but it quickly goes bad because she's fucking nuts by that point and her mind is twisting her all over the place.

It's probably a sub-plot that would've been way better if the movie was a new series instead.

Yeah, that's the scene I was thinking of though. She initially tries to be nice but quickly deteriorates.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
Should have been a limited series. Moved too fast. Could have easily been 8 episodes split 4 and 4. Then again more length doesn't always fix pacing, as seen with The Irishman.

Other than that it was fine. A few laughs, some good scenes. Enjoyable, forgettable.

The movie was good for what it is. Sopranos got 6 seasons to tell their story and here we have a 2 hour movie trying to fill in a rich backstory that we only saw flashbacks of in the original series. They should of at least given this a limited series of 13 episodes to flesh everything out. I do hope that if this movie does okay in what HBO and Warner are looking at numbers, maybe they do give this movie a few TV seasons to fully tell their story.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
It's definitely overstuffed and I think it gets muddled as a result, but it was still entertaining. I think a miniseries would have been a better format here, but even just another 20-30 minutes would have given them a lot more breathing room to make all of the threads work.

Coming off watching some bits and pieces of the show again recently you definitely see the budget on screen. The riot stuff, the shootout at the bar, the beach scene, I appreciated the visual boost. The guy who plays Dickie, where has he been all this time? I know he's been a working actor forever, but he really pops here and should be in more stuff.