• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He should never have tried to dodge the question of defunding by talking about him not agreeing to abolish the police, you can cut the amount of funding to the police without abolishing them, the easy answer would have been to just say they'd be looking at how much the police department receives each year and will be funding other programs that reduce the need for policing instead.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
what happens when space aliens unload magma rifles at a bus of small children?

you'll be wishing you had the police then!
tf4wqsqacs251.jpg

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
He should never have tried to dodge the question of defunding by talking about him not agreeing to abolish the police, you can cut the amount of funding to the police without abolishing them, the easy answer would have been to just say they'd be looking at how much the police department receives each year and will be funding other programs that reduce the need for policing instead.

I agree with this, but the result would have been the same. This crowd needs to vent their anger.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Kinda torn on this video. Him being out there showed he supports the protests, the idea for change, and has an interest to start doing what's right. Putting him on the spot like that and embarrassing him just burns a potential ally in this fight against the status quo. No politician is going to be cool with the idea of completely defunding and abolishing the police without a solid plan on what to do after that. No mayor or leader wants to be in charge of a city when it turns into a wild wild west free for all, without Some form or plan for public security and safety.
I think he handled it wrong, and should have turned it into more of a debate and conversation instead of a "yes or no" question. What he should have asked her was "I'm open to ideas. What exactly do you want?", "Okay, I abolish the police, what do we need to replace it?". I mean if he went out there, he should have been ready for a talk and for a debate, or something. Not just going out there with his fist in the air yelling "Fuck the police!".

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe people actually want to defund the police? I can get behind reducing the funding - some forces are monumentally overcompensated - but removing funding altogether would lead to outright anarchy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The police are ridiculously funded to the point of having gear no rational law enforcement should use on regular people and you couldn't figure out a way to address that to a crowd of angry people? How the fuck did you even make it into office

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I can't believe people actually want to defund the police? I can get behind reducing the funding - some forces are monumentally overcompensated - but removing funding altogether would lead to outright anarchy.
That's not what defunding means, read the thread.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That isn't how this works. There are multiple ways to defund the police without stripping them entirely.

Also, all police forces are monumentally overcompensated and are the main focus of many city budgets.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wait, some people want ZERO police? I had heard and agreed with five demands and the like but this is a first for me hearing people want them gone completely as an entity.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, lol. That was quite a sight to see.

Secondly:

Defunding the police IS the reform. The whole operation needs to be scaled back. I've said this many times but police exists to police poverty and protect property value.

Their current funding is a reflection of that.
There's a big reason why our buddy Cuomo decided to cut Medicaid, public Hospital, and School funding in the midst of a pandemic no less while the NYPD got a budget increase to 6 BILLION. Not only is this a reflection of what we value in society but it becomes very clear that the Police are used to managed the consequences of severe poverty, homelessness, lack of education etc. with violence.

Reforming the police through adding more procedures on top of what they already do doesn't matter as long as this is the working relationship they have with the community they are "serving" is inherently toxic due to that paradigm I laid out. Not to mention the things like broken windows policing which is a deliberate tax on poor people and Black bodies and further serves to criminalize their existence.

The police budgets we see aren't necessarily a reflection of community security and crime fighting. The bulk of there funding is here to fulfill this particularly mission. Crime rates in major cities have been dropping rapidly there's no reason why these cities have to spend billion on a police force while school districts are underfunded and public housing is falling apart. Defunding the Police means we re-prioritize people and invest in them instead property values. It means we solve societal ills not by throwing my cops at it but by improving material conditions.

Excellent post.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look at what Camden NJ did. They actually did completely shred their city police union contract and replaced it with a community policing model through the county. Violent crime went waaaaaaay down as a direct result. Camden was once consistently at the top of the homicide and violent crime per capita lists. Now it's doing quite well.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the police has stock piles of tear gas and rubber bullets while public hospitals couldn't acquire PPE in the middle of a pandemic. Reflect on that

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At this point all police should be disarmed. No more guns for police until they realize and figure out how they can do their jobs without them.
And we all know the type of person who would immediately resign should this come about and how much the world would be a better place if they weren't in such an organization.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I was not prepared for how accurate the GoT comparison was lol
People gotta bring some bells at these manifestations.

Also, how to NOT read a room.
A more able politician would have answered with a tortilla of words that could convince people without promising anything,

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Look at what Camden NJ did. They actually did completely shred their city police union contract and replaced it with a community policing model through the county. Violent crime went waaaaaaay down as a direct result. Camden was once consistently at the top of the homicide and violent crime per capita lists. Now it's doing quite well.
Any articles on this? Would like to read about it..

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Defunding police completely is a non-starter and will never ever happen. The focus should be on training cops to connect with their communities to build positive relationships that way, and most importantly to establish a federal bureau with the DOJ to investigation all allegations of police brutality around the country.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Defunding police completely is a non-starter and will never ever happen. The focus should be on training cops to connect with their communities to build positive relationships that way, and most importantly to establish a federal bureau with the DOJ to investigation all allegations of police brutality around the country.
More money for crime prevention as well. Granted a lot of this will come naturally if people actually got paid a living wage. Reduce the stressors on society.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana

I don't know if you've been watching the news lately but there is absolutely no way to train these sociopaths to connect with their communities when the vast majority aren't even from their communities.

Defund & dismantle.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you've been watching the news lately but there is absolutely no way to train these sociopaths to connect with their communities when the vast majority aren't even from their communities.

Defund & dismantle.

This is so true. Baltimore is a perfect example. I don't think even one of the 67 top commanders at the BPD live in Baltimore. There are plenty of cops in Baltimore that live out of state in PAz

The state of Maryland doesn't believe Baltimore can be policed by its own.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

Defund & dismantle.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can watch what the police have done in the last few weeks, and years and years before this, and think any kind of mild-mannered reformist approach is going to fucking do anything. The core of policing in the US is completely rotten and no amount of extra sensitivity training and oversight that will just get thrown out the next time a Republican administration takes over will matter at all. Local governments and officials absolutely have to start defunding the police from the bottom, and busting up police unions because they are more akin to an old fashioned mafia than a modern labor union. That is required for anything else - extra oversight, training, etc, which is all fine but insufficient alone - to make any difference.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Burst out laughing when they literally started chanting "shame". I was not expecting that, even with the comparison.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
In regards to Copaganda TV shows and movies: A first step of acknowledging the problem and doing something about it (apart from completely canceling the shows who are straight propaganda or Fantasy) would be to not demonize internal affairs.
Mind you, Internal Affairs are the same people in the same organization, which should be a completely independent agency as the first step in police defunding and reform, but not painting Cops as victims by the one department that SHOULD police the police and held the people accountable would be a great thing.

Just think about all the instances in Movies and TV when the internal affairs cops were depicted as evil and a bully because they did their job in trying to investigate misconduct, abuse of power, and all other things that is illegal or questionable.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe look up how Camden,NJ dismantled and rebuilt before this hot take.

Training ain't going to do shit.

Hope Minneapolis ignores takes like this and follows in Camden's footsteps.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In regards to Copaganda TV shows and movies: A first step of acknowledging the problem and doing something about it (apart from completely canceling the shows who are straight propaganda or Fantasy) would be to not demonize internal affairs.
Mind you, Internal Affairs are the same people in the same organization, which should be a completely independent agency as the first step in police defunding and reform, but not painting Cops as victims by the one department that SHOULD police the police and held the people accountable would be a great thing.

Just think about all the instances in Movies and TV when the internal affairs cops were depicted as evil and a bully because they did their job in trying to investigate misconduct, abuse of power, and all other things that is illegal or questionable.

Yes, a big step in regnegotiating police union contracts should be making IA an outside agency, and that the chief of police is required to follow their recommendations regarding firing, discipline, etc.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another longer term idea should be for cities to have a sort of volunteer peace keeping agency in place, sort of like the national guard but less militaristic obviously.

Have reserves ready to go essentially so you actually have a real bargaining chip at hand to shred the police union contract if they are unwilling to reform.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd say sit this one out, but you're probably not in the streets anyway.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Maybe look up how Camden,NJ dismantled and rebuilt before this hot take.

Training ain't going to do shit.

Hope Minneapolis ignores takes like this and follows in Camden's footsteps.
www.wusa9.com

This department's approach to stopping systemic racism could be a blueprint for America

In 2012, their police department disbanded. The new police force has become the gold standard for police and community relations.

This is almost literally what I said in my post. Do some research.

"Every officer that graduates the police department immediately goes on a foot beat and gets introduced to the community," Capt. James said. "We knocked on doors, we introduced our selves to the community as the guardians we are.""

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
www.wusa9.com

This department's approach to stopping systemic racism could be a blueprint for America

In 2012, their police department disbanded. The new police force has become the gold standard for police and community relations.

"Every officer that graduates the police department immediately goes on a foot beat and gets introduced to the community," Capt. James said. "We knocked on doors, we introduced our selves to the community as the guardians we are.""
They laid everyone off first though and had them re-apply.

Oct 27, 2017
www.wusa9.com

They disbanded. THEN built a new differently named force with community focus, where officers had to reapply. So your comment is straight up wrong. So yes, they defunded the police "completely".

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Defunding the police is a no-brainer and has quickly become a ubiquitous, popular position if my time at the protests is any indication. Any politician too cowardly or corrupt to support it should be voted the fuck out. This video was beautiful.

Deleted member 12028

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The protests have been going on for weeks and I'm more shocked that a lot of Resetera can't do the bare minimum in educating itself.

Maybe you should sit this one out pal. No need for comments like this and the other antagonist comments you are spewing in this thread. You don't know what I know or do not and you are assuming a lot here. There's a big difference between abolishing the police and defunding it and diverting the funds to more appropriate non- militarized entities. I completely agree with the latter along with tearing the police force to the foundation and rebuilding, but that is different than not having police altogether which is what the woman in the video was asking for.