• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Yeah Northern Chaos Gods could be contender for my favourite album this year... only one I think that can change that for me is Behemoth's album due later.

These are the albums I love so far this year, which will be in my top 10:

Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed
Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Necrodeath - The Age of Dead Christ
Summoning - With Doom We Come
Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
New Aborted song is promising

Not loving the production but whatever the music is solid

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Northern Chaos Gods could be contender for my favourite album this year... only one I think that can change that for me is Behemoth's album due later.

These are the albums I love so far this year, which will be in my top 10:

Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed
Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse
Necrodeath - The Age of Dead Christ
Summoning - With Doom We Come
Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name

I have yet to listen to Northern Chaos Gods, but I'll definitely go listen later today.

Watain was my favorite so far this year.

All of those albums are great, did Behemoth announce what date it was coming out?

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of Miserable, but this new Bongripper is really working for me. Much more focus and direction, particular from the drums.

The new Immortal is killer too.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really excited or interested in Northern Chaos Gods but man i wish i had pre ordered the boxset. Fantastic album

Jun 30, 2018
i'm really happy with the development of the new wave of power, symphonic, progressive metal(with the more melodic notes) that emerged like 20 years ago, with the many more songs based on fantasy. here are some gems that got me very hooked lately, just to demonstrate what i mean.
light bringer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAMXhQyx7s - this one's quite epic and has quite a complex structure with progressive elements besides power metal, and very nice solo.
dream tale, epsilon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZO5muOKas&t=355s - this album is very empowering, the composition of these songs are so good, that you can see that they worked very meticulously on them.
demetori- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJuWMEgFJDY - this song scores really up there, as having one of the most excellent solos for me
sonata arctica - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJAPiRhRT8 - very beautiful song!!
stratovarius - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNOHIxD0j_Q - the harmony of the keyboards with the rest is so impeccable!
Yousei Teikoku - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZvJY7_gyfw - also very empowering!! and epic, mysterious as well.
unlucky morpheus- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8i_QhOgsKw - this one's quite sinister, and great!!

so i'm interested to know if there are more here that like this type of metal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
Sometimes you just want to beat the living shit out of someone or something and for those days Slayer hits the playlist. In particular, this song, Threshold, really fits the bill. I thought about doing something patriotic but kicking ass works too. Also, roughly 5 weeks until my Slayer concert date so that too.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Went to see Visigoth last night. Fucking amazing. Easily in the top 5 concerts I've seen in my life. Met a few of the guys afterwards and they were really genuinely some of the nicest people. Still hyped now at how good it was.

https://youtu.be/gkKy1TaeobU

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day
Sometimes you just want to beat the living shit out of someone or something and for those days Slayer hits the playlist. In particular, this song, Threshold, really fits the bill. I thought about doing something patriotic but kicking ass works too. Also, roughly 5 weeks until my Slayer concert date so that too.

Honestly I think that is a seriously underrated slayer album.

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Song of the Day

Man, Threshold is one of my favorite tracks from Slayer. You can't beat that beat.

Going to have to wait for December for my Slayer gig. Going to be my second time seeing them.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Song of the Day

Malevolent Creation (FL) - Slaughter of Innocence

I missed I think a whole month of this, but I can't this time. Today we shall remember Bret Hoffmann, who died Saturday of cancer. This guy was always one of the best vocalists in death metal, adding unbelievably evil performances to many killer albums. He will be missed. Rest in power.

robinsxe

Oct 27, 2017
In my disappointment over the new Deafheaven album I managed to find this masterpiece. Had no idea this band even existed, but this music speaks to me on a higher level tbh.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Deafheaven's sound take a lot from metal but their art direction never has been metal at all. I kinda like the cover personally and think it fits with the music and title especially. I love the album Btw. I like it a lot more than New Bermuda.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Deafheaven's sound take a lot from metal but their art direction never has been metal at all. I kinda like the cover personally and think it fits with the music and title especially. I love the album Btw. I like it a lot more than New Bermuda.

I agree. They fit into the Post-Black Metal as Art type of thing. Kind of like Liturgy (gross), or Botanist. When I saw Deafheaven, the crowd there was so much different than most Black Metal shows I've been to. I've never seen so many combovers in my life.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I get not having a "metal" cover. They accomplished that really well with their last two, which were beautiful. Sunbather was damn near iconic. This is... just pure shit.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Song of the Day

Malevolent Creation (FL) - Slaughter of Innocence

I missed I think a whole month of this, but I can't this time. Today we shall remember Bret Hoffmann, who died Saturday of cancer. This guy was always one of the best vocalists in death metal, adding unbelievably evil performances to many killer albums. He will be missed. Rest in power.

Malevolent Creation is on my to get into list. I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Saften

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds pretty good, what the hell does that name mean though.
*Inhales* "Acidic Vaginal Liquid Explosion Generated By Mass Amounts Of Filthy Fecal Fisting And Sadistic Septic Syphilic Sodomy Inside The Infected Maggot Infested Womb Of A Molested Nun Dying Under The Roof Of A Burning Church While A Priest Watches And Ejaculates In Immense Perverse Pleasure Over His First Fresh Fetus".
And of course bookended by x'es, as behooves a prim and proper goregrind-band.

OP
OP
lordxar

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
*Inhales* "Acidic Vaginal Liquid Explosion Generated By Mass Amounts Of Filthy Fecal Fisting And Sadistic Septic Syphilic Sodomy Inside The Infected Maggot Infested Womb Of A Molested Nun Dying Under The Roof Of A Burning Church While A Priest Watches And Ejaculates In Immense Perverse Pleasure Over His First Fresh Fetus".

Uh...um...holy shit...somebody likes words

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017

Whew, that's nuts.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I know I've basically only talked about 1 album since I stuck my head in this thread, but I can't stress enough how good the new Immortal album is. I absolutely love it. It's not breaking any new ground for them, which might turn some off, but it's so purely Immortal and that makes me unbelievably happy.

I'm sitting at my desk listening and all I want to do is get up sing along as loud as I fucking can.

I almost can't believe this came out a few days ago because it's so classically them. If you'll excuse the supremely un-metal description, it's the most blissful 45 minutes of music I've heard in a long time. Immortal is easily my favorite band of all time and this album is really fighting for a high spot on my list of favorites.

Thanks for indulging my gushing about this album, I have no one around who likes this music enough to be excited with.

OuijaLuigi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

Wow... I want to hear someone do an intro speak for these guys, abbreviated or not.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Exmortus & Hatchet at the Oakland Metro in two weeks

those bands are my favorites at the moment, always put on great sets

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Apologies for not putting my song of the day up for the past couple weeks. I've just returned from a ban that I got in the Maynard rape accusation thread. I'll be posting my song this week (Thursday).

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
New Horrendous track and album announcement:

It is with great pride that we're unveiling the first preview track, "Soothsayer," from our new album Idol. The monstrosity Idol was painstakingly written and recorded over the course of more than a year, but will finally see the light of day on September 28th, 2018 on Season of Mist.

Idol was recorded, mixed, and mastered by Damian Herring at Subterranean Watchtower Studios. Cover art painted by Brian Smith. The track list is as follows:

...Prescience
Soothsayer
The Idolater
Divine Anhedonia
Devotion (Blood for Ink)
Golgothan Tongues
Threnody...
Obolus