Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft is willing to sign a contract for COD to stay in PS for "a long term".

That should be enough for the deal to go through.

Can we end this nightmare and close the deal?
Or is the CMA going to come up with another stupid thing to try to block this deal?

I don't think it's that simple. Microsoft is not going to sign a long term contract or something in perpetuity. The second part that goes unsaid is that Sony wants to maintain their superiority in COD. It's not about simply having the game on PS but also having the marketing deal and other exclusive bonuses.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't think it's that simple. Microsoft is not going to sign a long term contract or something in perpetuity. The second part that goes unsaid is that Sony wants to maintain their superiority in COD. It's not about simply having the game on PS but also having the marketing deal and other exclusive bonuses.

Phil Spencer,

"Native Call of Duty on PlayStation, not linked to them having to carry Game Pass, not streaming. If they want a streaming version of Call of Duty we could do that as well, just like we do on our own consoles.

There's nothing behind my back. It is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare II doing great on PlayStation, doing great on Xbox. The next game, the next, next, next, next, next [game]. Native on the platform, not having to subscribe to Game Pass. Sony does not have to take Game Pass on their platform to make that happen.

There's nothing hidden. We want to continue to ship Call of Duty on PlayStation without any kind of weird 'aha I figured out the gotcha' as Phil said 'our intent.' I understand some people's concerns on this, and I'm just trying to be as clear as I can be."

Will Jim be happy with that or is it still inadequate on many levels?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer,

"Native Call of Duty on PlayStation, not linked to them having to carry Game Pass, not streaming. If they want a streaming version of Call of Duty we could do that as well, just like we do on our own consoles.

There's nothing behind my back. It is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare II doing great on PlayStation, doing great on Xbox. The next game, the next, next, next, next, next [game]. Native on the platform, not having to subscribe to Game Pass. Sony does not have to take Game Pass on their platform to make that happen.

There's nothing hidden. We want to continue to ship Call of Duty on PlayStation without any kind of weird 'aha I figured out the gotcha' as Phil said 'our intent.' I understand some people's concerns on this, and I'm just trying to be as clear as I can be."

Will Jim be happy with that or is it still inadequate on many levels?
Having CoD on gamepass is inadequate on many levels.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This is why the market need more balance

Hell this forum alone also proves that. This thread.

It's so weird that the headspace people were in 20 years ago still seems to apply to this new generation of gamers: Sony is the best and undefeatable, Xbox is for the edge lords or the ones wanting to be different and weird, Nintendo is for kids.

Even my own kid: he was so excited for his Xbox because now he could be "one of the hardcore kids and not a normie".

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017

It's so weird that the headspace people were in 20 years ago still seems to apply to this new generation of gamers: Sony is the best and undefeatable, Xbox is for the edge lords or the ones wanting to be different and weird, Nintendo is for kids.

Even my own kid: he was so excited for his Xbox because now he could be "one of the hardcore kids and not a normie".
Thats literally the image these companies set for themselves, it can't be by mistake or coincidence after all these decades. If Sony, nintendo and MS wanted to change that they can.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020

She replied to his original tweet with the exclamation "Excellent"! - The tweet was deleted shortly after. From what I've read around, Eva could be part of that commission, but I'm not sure.

I saw her original tweet before it got deleted but didn't know who she was at the time. Just a bad look all around.

I feel like any government official should not be able to delete tweets.

View: https://imgur.com/5cJBAZI

Yea, she knew exactly what she did and how it would be seen so she deleted it.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

View: https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1592498348866818049?s=61&t=Z5fKapMp8lro7N4s6IG1Aw

Wonder if Zhuge is going to get jumped on for daring to suggest Microsoft haven't been entirely clear with their messaging until recently. He must be arguing in bad faith. /s

Not bad faith, but it's not everyone else's mistake if some of these folks like Zhuge just didn't pay attention. Brad Smith, the president at Microsoft, said they would treat COD like Minecraft back in February. What would you say was unclear about that which has now been cleared up?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Something worth considering when it comes to Sony not wanting this deal to go through or wanting it in writing that they get Call of Duty for a guaranteed period of time is that if this deal is a handshake agreement, Sony knows full well that Microsoft continuing to allow PlayStation access to CoD likely means that Sony has to be on its best behavior re: moneyhats and aggressive third party content lockouts or Microsoft may decide that it "no longer makes financial sense" to continue to play nice.

Sony expects CoD to be used as a bargaining chip at best, a hostage at worst, and it's honestly a pretty safe assumption.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Something worth considering when it comes to Sony not wanting this deal to go through or wanting it in writing that they get Call of Duty for a guaranteed period of time is that if this deal is a handshake agreement, Sony knows full well that Microsoft continuing to allow PlayStation access to CoD likely means that Sony has to be on its best behavior re: moneyhats and aggressive third party content lockouts or Microsoft may decide that it "no longer makes financial sense" to continue to play nice.

Sony expects CoD to be used as a bargaining chip at best, a hostage at worst, and it's honestly a pretty safe assumption.
Sony moneyhatting things to keep people on PlayStation would ensure CoD needing to stay on PS to make financial sense tbh. I don't think they will use it as a bargaining chip in that sense, but who knows.

Reports were that Minecraft was used as a bargaining chip mainly to unlock cross-play/cross-purchases on PSN (hence why bedrock came late on PS). But that wasn't really at the detriment of PS as a brand or console.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft wouldn't even need to bother with using it as leverage. Having it on GP day one, having perpetual marketing agreements for it (along with exclusive bonuses), and having CoD competitions using Xbox consoles would be more than enough. PS CoD would be the current Xbox CoD. All of the essentials and none of the bonuses. If Sony is pissed that they lose the ability to bid on the marketing agreement, then that's just the way it goes sometimes. Microsoft bid $68.7 billion for them.

Jul 22, 2022
Regardless COD, people overlook the main benefit from ABK (even outside all those basic things that Microsoft gets there - from mobile presence to esports, CG) - ABK deal heavily changes the market dynamics and position of Microsoft (and Xbox by extension) in the gaming market. With ABK deal, Sony stops being undisputed leader of the gaming market (due to their console market share). And it will have ramifications for Sony, because Microsoft will be the platform holder that has a strong presence in all three gaming markets.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sony moneyhatting things to keep people on PlayStation would ensure CoD needing to stay on PS to make financial sense tbh. I don't think they will use it as a bargaining chip in that sense, but who knows.

Reports were that Minecraft was used as a bargaining chip mainly to unlock cross-play/cross-purchases on PSN (hence why bedrock came late on PS). But that wasn't really at the detriment of PS as a brand or console.

To be fair with Minecraft Bedrock, if it was up to Sony they would have never allowed it. Literally the only reason they relented on their cross-platform multiplayer policy was because Epic dropped a nuclear bomb on them by publically going "Whoops, Turns out for the last week we accidently had Cross Platform Play Turned on in Fortnite and nobody realized. Sorry about that, its been disabled now", destroying all of Sony's bullshit arguments in the process. Then this followed up by them getting absolutely dogpilled on by Microsoft, Psyonix (Rocket League), several other Developers, Fortnite Fanboys, and a small contingent of Sony Fans which didn't let up until Sony changed their policy.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's really worth considering tbh. MS wants to be on PlayStation because PlayStation users spend a lot of money on COD. That reality wouldn't go away just because Sony makes deals for other games.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017

Fantasy,
Sony wont subjugate their entire PS business for the sake of 1 game or to appease MS. MS might need to be the one on "best behavior" because they are doing it, in Phil's own word, "for the cod consumer".
I see sony getting more aggressive with 3rd party exclusives for their platform because that's their BEST option now.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://imgur.com/5cJBAZI

Yea, she knew exactly what she did and how it would be seen so she deleted it.

For people who work on regulatory matters these folks really are not very smart about what they put out there publicly. It's kind of mind boggling, to be honest. It'd be like a chef at a Michelin star restaurant who can't heat up a bagel correctly. You don't put out stuff that creates an impression of bias. How can they possibly not understand that given their positions?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's really worth considering tbh. MS wants to be on PlayStation because PlayStation users spend a lot of money on COD. That reality wouldn't go away just because Sony makes deals for other games.

They do spend a lot of money on CoD. And if Microsoft can convert enough of them into Xbox owners who spend money on CoD that it's not worth the effort to port to PlayStation anymore, that would be ideal for them, and a potential situation that Sony fears and Microsoft would greatly prefer. That doesn't seem to be the plan at the moment, but if I'm Sony, I'm thinking that absent a written agreement, plans can always change if the conditions are there. Sony having to deal directly with Microsoft for a game they've stressed is very important to them gives Microsoft a ton of leverage, and none of us knows how they plan to wield said leverage, which is why Sony, who in all likelihood would've made those games exclusive were they in this position, is being wary.

Fantasy,
Sony wont subjugate their entire PS business for the sake of 1 game or to appease MS. MS might need to be the one on "best behavior" because they are doing it, in Phil's own word, "for the cod consumer".
I see sony getting more aggressive with 3rd party exclusives for their platform because that's their BEST option now.

Sony being aggressive was a factor in Microsoft beginning to buy publishers outright to secure a more stable foothold in the market. Food for thought.

For people who work on regulatory matters these folks really are not very smart about what they put out there publicly. It's kind of mind boggling, to be honest. It'd be like a chef at a Michelin star restaurant who can't heat up a bagel correctly. You don't put out stuff that creates an impression of bias. How can they possibly not understand that given their positions?

It's not unthinkable that maybe PlayStation is just such a monolith over there that they really didn't think there was anything wrong with these tweets. It may well have seemed perfectly reasonable for them to post it because of the bubble they're in, which casts Microsoft's regulatory hurdles over there in a worrisome light.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
that's unrealistic and Sony knows that, it's not like they would let Microsoft have the marketing for Destiny.

But they can't sit there and just roll over either. They have to put up some sort of fight. Maybe they get lucky.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
They do spend a lot of money on CoD. And if Microsoft can convert enough of them into Xbox owners who spend money on CoD that it's not worth the effort to port to PlayStation anymore, that would be ideal for them, and a potential situation that Sony fears and Microsoft would greatly prefer. That doesn't seem to be the plan at the moment, but if I'm Sony, I'm thinking that absent a written agreement, plans can always change if the conditions are there. Sony having to deal directly with Microsoft for a game they've stressed is very important to them gives Microsoft a ton of leverage, and none of us knows how they plan to wield said leverage, which is why Sony, who in all likelihood would've made those games exclusive were they in this position, is being wary.

As you suggest, MS has financial incentive to keep COD on PlayStation for as long as Playstation users play a shit ton of COD.

If I'm Sony, my means of ensuring that PS is a popular destination for COD players is to continue to invest in making sure that PS is the most popular place for gamers in general- and part of that is an aggressive exclusive content strategy. I think Sony playing it safe would increase the chances of COD leaving in the future.

I don't think MS has "leverage" here. Pulling COD from PS would hurt both parties, but it would do more damage to CODs brand power than it would Sony's financials.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
As you suggest, MS has financial incentive to keep COD on PlayStation for as long as Playstation users play a shit ton of COD.

If I'm Sony, my means of ensuring that PS is a popular destination for COD players is to continue to invest in making sure that PS is the most popular place for gamers in general- and part of that is an aggressive exclusive content strategy. I think Sony playing it safe would increase the chances of COD leaving in the future.

I don't think MS has "leverage" here. Pulling COD from PS would hurt both parties, but it would do more damage to CODs brand power than it would Sony's financials.
Sony's aggressive strategy is why Microsoft is buying publishers.

It prevents big titles from missing the platform.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not unthinkable that maybe PlayStation is just such a monolith over there that they really didn't think there was anything wrong with these tweets. It may well have seemed perfectly reasonable for them to post it because of the bubble they're in, which casts Microsoft's regulatory hurdles over there in a worrisome light.
I could see that if their work was in videogames. It's legal work though. They should know that you shouldn't publicly air stuff that could influence proceedings or reveal a potential bias or pre-existing belief before the process plays out. Unless things are very different in Europe regarding the law and there's much less risk aversion it seems to me like a spectacularly dumb move for people working at a regulatory body to make.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's aggressive strategy is why Microsoft is buying publishers.

It prevents big titles from missing the platform.

MS is buying publishers because they see growth potential and expect a heavier investment in gaming to pay off in a way that is synergetic with the other strengths of their business.

Also, there were publishers who were actively shopping themselves on the market at the time MS adopted this strategy. If these publishers didn't make themselves available, MS would have just continued buying studios.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
For better or worse the regulatory bodies are being seen more closely in the media and all the things that go along with it

Regulatory bodies seem more out there to try and use social media to get their points across as a messaging device but they clearly haven't done social media specific training for their employees which is the other side of the coin

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
I feel like any government official should not be able to delete tweets.

Everyone can make mistakes and there must be protection for correction. But, in any case, the network does not forgive. You should delete it after 1 sec. to be safe from screenshots

Here in Europe xbox is stil the last choice, but even Ms doesen't care to be honest. They don't push the brand at all.
Anyways Europe is yet crucial to them so, if EU block the deal, Ms for sure drop all

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Rare doesn't want to do Banjo. There's no evidence to suggest Toys for Bob doesn't want to make new Crash games. If Microsoft was into the business of forcing their studios to make certain games, I'm sure they would prefer Rare to churn out a Banjo game relatively quickly than spend years on Everwild with no release date in sight.
I doubt that, because Everwild is a service game, which is very much catering to current Microsoft's preferences. Moreover, if Microsoft put any value into Banjo platformers, they would have made one in 20 years of owning the IP. It's crazy that Microsoft is going to own:
- Banjo
- Conker
- Crash
- Spyro
- Blinx
- Voodoo Vince
- Commander Keen
- Psychonauts
Yet platformers are exceedingly rare sights in their line up.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that, because Everwild is a service game, which is very much catering to current Microsoft's preferences. Moreover, if Microsoft put any value into Banjo platformers, they would have made one in 20 years of owning the IP.

If that was the case they wouldnt allow something like Pentiment to be made. The more probable situation is that these studios are just not really interested in making platformers.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
If that was the case they wouldnt allow something like Pentiment to be made. The more probable situation is that these studios are just not really interested in making platformers.
I do not quite get what that has to do with what I said? I merely said that
(a) Microsoft has a preference for live service games, so I deem it unlikely they would prefer Banjo over Everwild
(b) Platformers (as opposed to shooters, wrpgs, sim racers and service games) in general are not a genre Microsoft supports well, even though they have probably the strongest platformer IP line up except for Nintendo
I did not want to make any statement about RPG Adventure games.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
(a) Microsoft has a preference for live service games, so I deem it unlikely they would prefer Banjo over Everwild
(b) Platformers (as opposed to shooters, wrpgs, sim racers and service games) in general are not a genre Microsoft supports well, even though they have probably the strongest platformer IP line up except for Nintendo

Are there any proof MS have a preference for live service game rather than the studios themselves does?

and both Ori games are funded and published by MS, and one of the best platform game franchise in recent years.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Right. Rare didn't want to make it and nobody else really wanted to pick it up.

Microsoft is acquiring a seemingly platformer-focused studio in Toys for Bob, though. I could see them adding Banjo into a Crash/Spyro rotation. Or maybe Microsoft will outsource to (or pick up) their frequent collaborators Sumo, who have made platformer games for Sony (and who have the bonus of being British like Rare, which is debatably important for the series' cheeky humor).

I don't think Microsoft is blind to the recent resurgence of platformers with the popular Crash and Spyro relaunches. They saw how excited Nintendo fans were to get Banjo & Kazooie in Smash and they know there's an appetite for these characters to return. These things take time.

It's crazy that Microsoft is going to own:
- Banjo
- Conker
- Crash
- Spyro
- Blinx
- Voodoo Vince
- Commander Keen
- Psychonauts
Yet platformers are exceedingly rare sights in their line up.

If a Commander Keen relaunch is going to look like that terrible mobile reboot that Bethesda announced and then seemingly forgot about, I think I'd prefer it stayed dead.

Microsoft should MCU it and follow up Crash 4 with a "Spyro 4" and a "BK3" and then release a crossover game. Have Sumo make a kart racer or something.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Microsoft fund two Ori games? They obviously don't care what game Rare makes and it's been evident for a long time. Rare has said time and time again they don't want to work on their old IPs and I think you should just accept that.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

You insinuated that MS put pressure on Rare to make a Liveservice game instead of Banjo. Thats why I mentioned Pentiment. its a game so far from AAA / Live service that you can get, so why would they let Obsidian make that if they are trying to control what their studios make?
And as Gay Bowser points out they have aquired Toys for Bob. And like Frieza and Slowsonic mentioned they have funded Ori.

MS dont have anything against their teams making platformers, far from it. Its down to Rare just not interested in it.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Heard some kids at my son's school saying that MS should be punished for attempting this by Activision making COD Sony exclusive forever now.

These were 13 year old kids and they still sound more mature than some of the takes you see on Twitter.

That sounded mature to you in relation to *anything*?
That's probably the worst take I've heard about this - bar none. By a long way.
Which isn't surprising, since it's thirteen year olds.

Azrae47

Nov 3, 2022
South Africa
I'm curious to know what would happen if this deal does not pass.

Would Microsoft become a lot more aggressive with exclusivity deals?
Would they approach Activision for gamepass/exclusivity deals regardless?
Would we see the purchase of multiple smaller publishers using this money?

I personally feel this deal will likely go through with concessions, but part of me just wants to see what would happen if it doesn't.

Bengraven