• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think AB already in the "control costs" "creativity goes down, risk-taking goes down" stage though lol.
Right. Like, they're already a giant company in their own right. When was the last time AB released a game that was as creative or risk-taking as, say, Pentiment?

Microsoft seems to place a high amount of value on releasing a variety of play experiences and their recurring revenue from Game Pass arguably makes this more possible than if they had to rely on people going out to buy games like Pentiment to make money on them.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
You insinuated that MS put pressure on Rare to make a Liveservice game instead of Banjo. Thats why I mentioned Pentiment. its a game so far from AAA / Live service that you can get, so why would they let Obsidian make that if they are trying to control what their studios make?
And as Gay Bowser points out they have aquired Toys for Bob. And like Frieza and Slowsonic mentioned they have funded Ori.

MS dont have anything against their teams making platformers, far from it. Its down to Rare just not interested in it.
I did not insinuate at all that MS was pressuring Rare to make a liveservice game, I merely said that I find it unlikely they would prefer a Banjo-Threeie over Everwild. And yes, they have acquired Toys for Bob (or try to do that currently); probably not because they specifically wanted TfB, but I do think TfB is probably the best chance Banjo-Threeie ever had of existing.

(I also would not count Ori as a platformer, but a Metroidvania; but the did fund two platformers this gen: Super Lucky's Tale and Psychonauts 2)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I really do think it all comes down to game pass. Unless MS agrees to not put CoD on Game Pass and xcloud then Sony won't agree to the deal and in extension, neither will the regulators. I think regulators will ask for divestment and MS will only keep Blizzard and King.
Lmao. People in this thread really acting like Sony has any say in it. Sony aren't regulators. There is no "by extension". They might have some sway in certain sectors, but if EU and FTC pass it the CMA will eventually cave.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just messing around. I've seen some really bad takes though, especially on Twitter, but those may have also been 13 year olds. You never know. We may even have them here. Hiding among us. Ready to throw their account away on some "sick burn" (or whatever 13 year olds call it).

Right, I'm sorry, it's hard to gauge sometime.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I'm fine with the status quo because I wouldn't need to buy a new console for a video game I want to play. That's beneficial to me as a consumer. But if I need to buy an Xbox to play Crash, so be it. I'm not gonna cry over it.
Well if Crash was exclusive to MS you wouldn't need to buy an Xbox to play it. Which is why I'm an Xbox fan more than a Sony fan personally.

Options from day 1. Since I wanted to play Ragnorok, I HAD to buy a Sony console. I Crash is exclusive and day one, I can play it on my Steam Deck, PC, Xbox, phone….

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I doubt that, because Everwild is a service game, which is very much catering to current Microsoft's preferences. Moreover, if Microsoft put any value into Banjo platformers, they would have made one in 20 years of owning the IP. It's crazy that Microsoft is going to own:
- Banjo
- Conker
- Crash
- Spyro
- Blinx
- Voodoo Vince
- Commander Keen
- Psychonauts
Yet platformers are exceedingly rare sights in their line up.
Not to be rude or anything but

The rare guys who wanted to make a platformer made yookalaylee and no one bought in

Banjo is a meme dream at this point

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
No clause against GamePass. Think a few "timed exclusive" games released on GamePass once they came to XBox. Maybe something they'll look to limit.
Yea but by that point, they're not exclusive anymore and aren't under contract..

Unless you're suggesting that one of the future conditions of a Sony marketing deal is that they will NEVER be able to go on Game Pass, even after all the other clauses of the deal expire? lol wild... Well, if Sony wants to do that, they certainly can do that right now today. Can't imagine that sort of thing would help them when the next acquisition rolls around - whether theirs or MS's. Especially if the CMA considers it its own market. And either way, Sony better be prepared to pay an absurd premium for something that give them absolutely no benefit.

It would be a strange decision on everyone's part.

Jul 22, 2022
A lot of developers at Xbox are making multiplayer games because - believe it or not - a lot of developers like making multiplayer games.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
One of the overriding thoughts I had listening to the interview was thinking about all the times Phil is derided as a PR merchant and remembering; 'oh yeah of course that's BS, dude was a programmer'.

With respect to the deal, its kind of clear to me the aim is to gun at Tencent, from MS perspective damage to Sony is seen as a collateral impact. It's the mobile opportunity that's driving this.

Jul 22, 2022
With respect to the deal, its kind of clear to me the aim is to gun at Tencent, from MS perspective damage to Sony is seen as a collateral impact. It's the mobile opportunity that's driving this.
ABK deal has many dimensions. It is also a part of the whole breaking the walled gardens of Apple and Google.

Sony is a collateral damage - and more like self inflicted damage as they abandoned all their FPS games in favor of third person games only and relied too much on COD deal.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
ABK deal has many dimensions. It is also a part of the whole breaking the walled gardens of Apple and Google.

Sony is a collateral damage - and more like self inflicted damage as they abandoned all their FPS games in favor of third person games only and relied too much on COD deal.
Sony 3rd person games are all blockbusters and very successful (ms own words). I mean what 3rd person and 1st person blockbusters are MS putting out before their acquisitions? How are their success self inflicted damage?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony 3rd person games are all blockbusters and very successful (ms own words). I mean what 3rd person and 1st person blockbusters are MS putting out before their acquisitions? How are their success self inflicted damage?
Though they're much diminished, I'd consider Halo and Gears to be blockbusters still. Sea of Thieves would also probably qualify.

Excluding the recent focus acquisitions though seems unnecessary as it's really just trying to move Xbox back a decade to circa 2016 before their change in approach. If we held Sony to the same standard they'd lose their top title in this area (Spider-Man).

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

You must be new here, I'll explain.

Sony doesn't want the deal to go through because they perceive there to be a loss of revenue if CoD either goes to Game Pass (and people don't buy it on PS) or goes exclusive down the line (and people don't buy it on PS).

But the thing is the only reason Sony are reliant on CoD is because they made no effort to build their own FPS GaaS game...
"But, Brokenlynx, CoD is one of the biggest games in the world there's no way Sony could build something like that"
Well yes of course they can, they're Sony, they just chose not to even try and replace some of that CoD revenue. Sony has the studio power, they have existing franchises and they have the money to do it.

Also in the same eight years since SOCOM was last created other studios (including ones not even famed for FPS service games) have created massive FPS service games, e.g: Overwatch, PUBG, Apex Legends, Fortnite et al.

These may not be the size of CoD but if your Sony having even a piece of that pie would leave you less vulnerable to losing CoD revenue (that you don't control).

All of which is to say if Sony put some effort into producing a successful PlayStation GaaS game they wouldn't need the CoD revenue. They've come around to this idea (in saying they're building 10 GaaS games over the next however many years) but they're a little late to this party. Still no excuse why they can't make a splash though.

TLDR: The 'self-inflicted' damage is Sony not using their existing market power and studio to replace CoD revenue with something of their own making

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
You must be new here, I'll explain.

Sony doesn't want the deal to go through because they perceive there to be a loss of revenue if CoD either goes to Game Pass (and people don't buy it on PS) or goes exclusive down the line (and people don't buy it on PS).

But the thing is the only reason Sony are reliant on CoD is because they made no effort to build their own FPS GaaS game...

Well yes of course they can, they're Sony, they just chose not to even try and replace some of that CoD revenue. Sony has the studio power, they have existing franchises and they have the money to do it.

Also in the same eight years since SOCOM was last created other studios (including ones not even famed for FPS service games) have created massive FPS service games, e.g: Overwatch, PUBG, Apex Legends, Fortnite et al.

These may not be the size of CoD but if your Sony having even a piece of that pie would leave you less vulnerable to losing CoD revenue (that you don't control).

All of which is to say if Sony put some effort into producing a successful PlayStation GaaS game they wouldn't need the CoD revenue. They've come around to this idea (in saying they're building 10 GaaS games over the next however many years) but they're a little late to this party. Still no excuse why they can't make a splash though.

TLDR: The 'self-inflicted' damage is Sony not using their existing market power and studio to replace CoD revenue with something of their own making
Sony's self-inflicted damage is not creating a rival to a game published by an (at the time, and to be honest, likely never considered to really never not be) independent third party developer whom they've had a fruitful, decades long relationship?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Sony's self-inflicted damage is not creating a rival to a game published by an (at the time, and to be honest, likely never considered to really never not be) independent third party developer whom they've had a fruitful, decades long relationship?

No, its not realising the inherent risk of relying on a third-party revenue source they don't control and not making any effort to replace that revenue with revenue they do control.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Well if Crash was exclusive to MS you wouldn't need to buy an Xbox to play it. Which is why I'm an Xbox fan more than a Sony fan personally.

Options from day 1. Since I wanted to play Ragnorok, I HAD to buy a Sony console. I Crash is exclusive and day one, I can play it on my Steam Deck, PC, Xbox, phone….
When I say "need", it's referring to my personal preferences. I understand the conveniences of playing games on any device of your choosing, but I prefer playing platformers on a game console. I play PC games for other genres that are better suited for that platform and likewise for mobile devices.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I would quite call it "self-inflicted," but if CoD is as crucial to Sony as they're claiming, they absolutely should have worked through the "what if Microsoft buys them" scenario and had a plan in place to mitigate their exposure to that risk. There's inherent risk in being reliant on a revenue source that you don't control.

Of course, I think Sony is also sort of overstating how crucial an independent CoD is to them as a going concern.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I think people aren't considering that Sony is not only fighting (and will likely win) to keep CoD on PS, they are also developing 10+ GaaS games (Helldivers 2, Factions 2, Deviation games, Horizon online etc), many of which come from well known big IPs or big name studios.

They could create the next big online game, as well as the possibility of pulling Destiny and/or not releasing Bungies next GaaS game on Xbox.

I really don't see why MS HAS to commit to keeping CoD on the heavy, unconditional market leader. I see why MS wants it to be though... (that revenue, holy moly).

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Sony is not dumb, they know at any point CoD or any third party IP can be gone. Not too long ago CoD was getting deals with Microsoft during the Xbox 360 days and Sony's self inflicted damage back then was alluded to a very expensive console that was very difficult for developers to work on.

How did Sony pull themselves out of that mess you ask? Why by investing in their own studios and reducing hardware costs. This is exactly the same approach Microsoft is doing, investing in their own studios and coming out with affordable hardware to play on.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I would quite call it "self-inflicted," but if CoD is as crucial to Sony as they're claiming, they absolutely should have worked through the "what if Microsoft buys them" scenario and had a plan in place to mitigate their exposure to that risk. There's inherent risk in being reliant on a revenue source that you don't control.

Of course, I think Sony is also sort of overstating how crucial an independent CoD is to them as a going concern.
I think it is a stretch to say that it was poor risk mitigation to not have game planned for the largest video game publisher to no longer be an independent. But regardless, Sony has long tried to break into the FPS genre (Killzone, Resistance), have partnered with new studios to attempt to create new FPS IP that could perhaps make some noise (Firewalk, Deviation), sought to acquire Bungie to shore up their GAAS and FPS capabilities, all before this acquisition was announced.

But game development takes time, there are no guarantees, and it is incredibly difficult to create something with the same level of gravitas as CoD (ask EA and Ubisoft). So it's bizarre for it to be seen as self-inflicted, when in fact, they have gone out of their way to expand their capabilities to compete in the sector, prior to an acquisition nobody would have even considered likely.

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Sony is not dumb, they know at any point CoD or any third party IP can be gone. Not too long ago CoD was getting deals with Microsoft during the Xbox 360 days and Sony's self inflicted damage back then was alluded to a very expensive console that was very difficult for developers to work on.

How did Sony pull themselves out of that mess you ask? Why by investing in their own studios and reducing hardware costs. This is exactly the same approach Microsoft is doing, investing in their own studios and coming out with affordable hardware to play on.

Ehhh I still feel like an acquisition of this scale is unprecedented. In fact, at 70 BILLION dollars, no one could have predicted this happening lol. Getting exclusive deals/DLC is not the same level as an entire acquisition.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Ehhh I still feel like an acquisition of this scale is unprecedented. In fact, at 70 BILLION dollars, no one could have predicted this happening lol. Getting exclusive deals/DLC is not the same level as an entire acquisition.

Is there a point here?

They are not paying 70 billion dollars for CoD so let's get that out of the way first. Secondly we all know Sony has been comfortable for way too long with third party advantages and revenue. The point is you cannot rely on that forever. What Sony didn't predict was Microsoft finally investing as they have in such a short amount of time. Sony has been doing this over a span of 30 years (and are still investing), nobody expected Microsoft to do it in just a few years.

Sony relied on games like Call of Duty to carry them throughout the busy fall season because they knew they would get the majority of sales. Thats' why they had so much breathing room putting out big AAA titles in other months like February. It also allowed them to shift focus and get away from the gluttony of shooter online games they used to have like Resistance, SOCOM, and Killzone. So don't act naive into thinking getting 'measely DLC and exclusive deals' doesn't also have long term impacts.

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Is there a point here?

They are not paying 70 billion dollars for CoD so let's get that out of the way first. Secondly we all know Sony has been comfortable for way too long with third party advantages and revenue. The point is you cannot rely on that forever. What Sony didn't predict was Microsoft finally investing as they have in such a short amount of time. Sony has been doing this over a span of 30 years (and are still investing), nobody expected Microsoft to do it in just a few years.

Sony relied on games like Call of Duty to carry them throughout the busy fall season because they knew they would get the majority of sales. Thats' why they had so much breathing room putting out big AAA titles in other months like February. It also allowed them to shift focus and get away from the gluttony of shooter online games they used to have like Resistance, SOCOM, and Killzone. So don't act naive into thinking getting 'measely DLC and exclusive deals' doesn't also have long term impacts.

Woah, no need to get so defensive sheesh. My point was to make a point against the notion that Sony "should have made" a competitive shooter to have of their own and not rely on COD. Like your whole comment here:

Thats' why they had so much breathing room putting out big AAA titles in other months like February. It also allowed them to shift focus and get away from the gluttony of shooter online games they used to have like Resistance, SOCOM, and Killzone. So don't act naive into thinking getting 'measely DLC and exclusive deals' doesn't also have long term impacts.

It's very easy to say in hindsight as if the writing was on the wall. But, no way anyone thought of this as something that was forthcoming. While Sony should be investing in more genre's like they had in the PS3 era and they are now, to say that it was because they needed to prepare for the largest 3rd party publisher to be acquired is bs.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Woah, no need to get so defensive sheesh. My point was to make a point against the notion that Sony "should have made" a competitive shooter to have of their own and not rely on COD. Like your whole comment here:

It's very easy to say in hindsight as if the writing was on the wall. But, no way anyone thought of this as something that was forthcoming. While Sony should be investing in more genre's like they had in the PS3 era and they are now, to say that it was because they needed to prepare for the largest 3rd party publisher to be acquired is bs.

You still seem confused. Sony basically abandoned the genre, relying solely on the third party market to fill that void. That is not really future proofing yourself just in case competition decides to get stronger. In this case Microsoft using it's financial advantages to go after an area Sony thought they had control of.

Sony wants to create the narrative that people buy consoles for CoD, which explains why they want their hands directly on the product. I don't think they fear CoD will go away, they just don't want to lose that advantage they currently have with these deals and having to compete with Game Pass.

Yes it's a huge amount of money but the thing is, even if Sony lost Blizzard/ Activison completely, they would still be very competitive. Nintendo and Valve lived without it, why can't Sony? Sony is also investing in studios like Bungie, so yes they could easily fill that void if needed, they are just doing what anyone would do and that is protect what they already have access to.

Grakchawwaa

Mar 10, 2022
You still seem confused. Sony basically abandoned the genre, relying solely on the third party market to fill that void. That is not really future proofing yourself just in case competition decides to get stronger. In this case Microsoft using it's financial advantages to go after an area Sony thought they had control of.

Sony wants to create the narrative that people buy consoles for CoD, which explains why they want their hands directly on the product. I don't think they fear CoD will go away, they just don't want to lose that advantage they currently have with these deals and having to compete with Game Pass.

Yes it's a huge amount of money but the thing is, even if Sony lost Blizzard/ Activison completely, they would still be very competitive. Nintendo and Valve lived without it, why can't Sony? Sony is also investing in studios like Bungie, so yes they could easily fill that void if needed, they are just doing what anyone would do and that is protect what they already have access to.

Isn't it more Sony abandoned their own competitors to CoD/Halo because they were not successful and then turned to a marketing partnership with CoD, rather than spinning their tires and hoping for a chance to hit it big?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Ehhh I still feel like an acquisition of this scale is unprecedented. In fact, at 70 BILLION dollars, no one could have predicted this happening lol.

Sony very likely employs strategists whose entire job is running through these hypotheticals and evaluating their risks and how to mitigate Sony's exposure to them. What if Microsoft bought Activision, what if Microsoft bought EA, what if Google bought Activision, what if Nintendo bought Square Enix, etc.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Indirectly related to the ABK deal:

seekingalpha.com

Google looked to pay Activision, others to stop app store rivals, Epic says (NASDAQ:GOOG)

A new detail from Epic Games' 2020 lawsuit against Google (GOOG) (GOOGL) over its Android and Play Store policies accuses Google of agreeing to pay $360M to Activision Blizzard (ATVI)...

This is why some people that follow the Epic vs Google/Apple case, say that Google is really against the deal.

The only new piece of info there is the amount that ABK received by Google ($360 millions).

The existence of Project Hug (an initiate by Google to pay 24 top game developers as an incentive to keep their games on the Play Store and avoid the creation of an alternative), has been known since 2021.

MS wants a new (open) App Store and obviously the ABK content would accelerate that.

The mobile side of the deal is way more relevant than it seems in this case.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Indirectly related to the ABK deal:

This is why some people that follow the Epic vs Google/Apple case, say that Google is really against the deal.

The only new piece of info there is the amount that ABK received by Google ($360 millions).

The existence of Project Hug (an initiate by Google to pay 24 top game developers as an incentive to keep their games on the Play Store and avoid the creation of an alternative), has been known since 2021.

MS wants a new (open) App Store and obviously the ABK content would accelerate that.

The mobile side of the deal is way more relevant than it seems in this case.

Yeah, this is pretty well known but the actual amount is new. 360m for 3 years seems like a bargain. Sure we could figure out roughly what % that was of the 30% cut that Google would have got from ABK.

A good source (although rather biased against Google and apple) for the topic of mobile app store is http://www.fosspatents.com

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft wants to create more competition among game publishers, CEO Satya Nadella says

Microsoft Satya Nadella says the American tech giant wants to create more competition among game publishers, as it faces an anticompetition probe over its $69 billion offer to buy Activision Blizzard.

Activision Blizzard, the American game publisher behind popular franchises such as Call of Duty, Warcraft, and Candy Crush, could boost Microsoft's mobile gaming presence where it is largely absent.

But the proposed takeover faces a European Union probe as regulators worry Microsoft may foreclose access to Activision's console and PC video games, especially globally successful games like Call of Duty.

"Our entire goal is to bring more options for gamers to be able to play [on every platform] and for publishers to have more competition," Nadella, chairman and CEO of Microsoft, told CNBC's Tanvir Gill in an interview Thursday.

Microsoft has largely been in the console and PC video game businesses, offering access to hundreds of games via their video game subscription services Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass.

If completed, the Activision Blizzard deal could help Microsoft better compete with the likes of game publishers Tencent, known for the globally successful mobile game Honor of Kings, and Sony, which is setting up a PlayStation mobile gaming unit and has acquired two mobile game developers.

"Like all large deals, I think regulators should scrutinize them," Nadella added, when asked how he feels about the EU probe.
When asked about what Microsoft's ultimate ambition is in the gaming business, Nadella said: "Microsoft isn't a conglomerate, I want to be very clear. It's not about sort of gaming here and productivity here."
"The fundamental thesis for us is: what is the core technology that we build, that allows us to be in these different businesses while doing things that are valuable for customers? What can Microsoft uniquely do for gamers and game publishers? I believe there is plenty we can do," he added.

"With gaming, for example, for us, it's a streaming workload. It helps us build the right cloud infrastructure. Think about artificial intelligence, these AI-generated models, differently and how they can be used in both creation and testing of games," said Nadella.

When asked about the next step if the Activision Blizzard deal doesn't happen, Nadella said: "We have been in gaming for decades. We will be in gaming going forward."
www.cnbc.com

Microsoft wants to create more competition among game publishers, CEO Satya Nadella says

Microsoft's Satya Nadella says the tech giant wants to create more competition among game publishers, with its proposed offer to buy Activision Blizzard.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the argument that Sony should have made their own COD competitor. It costs a hell of a lot less to just market COD and have some exclusive benefits, and it's a hell of a lot more risky. It's not like anything would ever make it not multiplatform, right?

Hindsight is 20/20, but it's fully reasonable why they wouldn't have done that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't get the argument that Sony should have made their own COD competitor. It costs a hell of a lot less to just market COD and have some exclusive benefits, and it's a hell of a lot more risky. It's not like anything would ever make it not multiplatform, right?

Yeah, agreed. It's the kind of thing that would be nice to have, but not really worth actively trying to build while in a leadership position and collecting big CoD royalties risk-free. Like you said, hindsight.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

I think it's more an incredulous response to the absurd notion that CoD potentially not launching on Playstation 5 years down the line would lead to the downfall of Playstation. More tongue in cheek, "well if it's that important to you, you should have made your own" kind of thing.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

They don't have to but to suggest they couldn't compete without it is absurd. Sony of course just wants the status quo, to be able to use their dominant position as bargaining when making deals with third party publishers, while also not having to compete with Game Pass.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The argument is more "if Sony's ability to compete hinges access to a on single IP that they don't own, then they should have done more to protect their business." Nintendo and Steam managed to survive and thrive w/o COD, so it's nonsense that Sony would just keel over and die.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

Sony isn't entitled to every game on the market though and neither are Microsoft. If this deal was so bad for Sony that it would cause them to shut down their 20B dollar a year business then that's a pretty bad way to be running that company, having it rely on a 3rd party IP that could disappear in all sorts of ways is kinda like handcuffing yourself to a concrete block while travelling on a boat.

While I don't think Sony could just whip up a COD competitor overnight or in the near future, that doesn't make it impossible from happening at all forever. Sony has enough brand power, fans and IP to make something that could cover the hole if COD went exclusive and I don't doubt it from a minute that they couldn't make something close enough to replace COD in future on their platform, to be clear I'm not saying this game would be big enough that it would come close to COD sales and all that I mean big enough that the hole would be filled in for Sony.

At the end of the day there is ZERO scenarios in my opinion that Playstation the behemoth will cease to exist once the ABK deal goes through and COD suddenly becomes exclusive. It honestly baffles me anyone suggests otherwise.

When asked about the next step if the Activision Blizzard deal doesn't happen, Nadella said: "We have been in gaming for decades. We will be in gaming going forward."

This is a good sign from Nadella that they won't back down from gaming if the ABK deal doesn't go through, it could be easy for them to say ah well we tried and then lower investments but seems like they'll still be all in, which does make sense given they did get Bethesda so they do have a lot of studios even without ABK.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's more an incredulous response to the absurd notion that CoD potentially not launching on Playstation 5 years down the line would lead to the downfall of Playstation. More tongue in cheek, "well if it's that important to you, you should have made your own" kind of thing.

The argument is more "if Sony's ability to compete hinges access to a on single IP that they don't own, then they should have done more to protect their business." Nintendo and Steam managed to survive and thrive w/o COD, so it's nonsense that Sony would just keel over and die.

This. It's not that they actually should have invested in developing their own CoD competitor. It's that if having a CoD-like game was actually crucial to PlayStation existing as a going concern, they would have been irresponsible not to. Since they didn't, either they were irresponsible, or they're sort of overstating how crucial CoD is to them.

I don't actually think Sony should have sunk millions of dollars into "Above and Beyond" or whatever. Nintendo does just fine without CoD.

I feel like if Microsoft had purchased Take Two, Sony would have all the same arguments about how GTA was a unicorn too-big-to-be-owned-by-a-console-vendor game that was a special situation unlike anything else, too.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Past precedent. Psygnosis operated much the same way for just over a half decade before being cannibalized in a PS2-era reorg (and seeing most of their staff fired and partner contracts ended, all but the WO/F1 team in Liverpool really). If that cautionary tale is anything to go by, Bungie will be independent until they're suddenly not for whatever rationale (not meeting performance targets, group wide reorg, competitive considerations, etc).

It's possible the contracts are drawn up in a way that the company heads at Bungie can walk away with everything if SIE makes moves they disagree with, but given the sum Sony (over?)paid I sort of doubt it and as you say we're not privy to the details of these contracts so it's a fruitless exercise anyway. All we do have really is Sony's own track record. Much like XGS with Mojang (retaining multiplatform) or Bethesda (retaining staff/publishing operations) when considering how an ABK acquisition would go.
I mean it's a bit of a stretch to go that far back with the industry only just starting up. The business community is a lot more mature and the numbers involved (not only financial but people too - Bungie have what about 1,000 staff?) are far greater.

If Bungie drop the ball then I can see SIE taking a more hands-on approach. That's to be expected.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's a bit of a stretch to go that far back with the industry only just starting up. The business community is a lot more mature and the numbers involved (not only financial but people too - Bungie have what about 1,000 staff?) are far greater.

If Bungie drop the ball then I can see SIE taking a more hands-on approach. That's to be expected.
The (home videogames) industry was already nearing two decades old when Sony bought Psygnosis and their shutdown was in the PS2 era. This wasn't some garage startup way back in the immature 90s, it was the biggest electronics company in the world entering the fastest growing media industry already worth billions.

Jul 22, 2022
This is a good sign from Nadella that they won't back down from gaming if the ABK deal doesn't go through, it could be easy for them to say ah well we tried and then lower investments but seems like they'll still be all in, which does make sense given they did get Bethesda so they do have a lot of studios even without ABK.
ABK deal was unexpected event, it would be not affect their plans and they did not play to acquire ABK in the first place.

The irony is that's the example of anti-trust and not whatever Microsoft is doing 🤣 Which is similar to what Sony was doing with cross-play too (and some stuff even to this day). Would they dare to do that if they did not have a control over the biggest chunk of the market - obviously not.

Last edited:

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
The (home videogames) industry was already nearing two decades old when Sony bought Psygnosis and their shutdown was in the PS2 era. This wasn't some garage startup way back in the immature 90s, it was the biggest electronics company in the world entering the fastest growing media industry already worth billions.
Yeah I was referring to Psygnosis. They bought them for about £20 million with a much smaller workforce. The considerations are vastly higher and more complex with Bungie.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I think it is a stretch to say that it was poor risk mitigation to not have game planned for the largest video game publisher to no longer be an independent. But regardless, Sony has long tried to break into the FPS genre (Killzone, Resistance), have partnered with new studios to attempt to create new FPS IP that could perhaps make some noise (Firewalk, Deviation), sought to acquire Bungie to shore up their GAAS and FPS capabilities, all before this acquisition was announced.

But game development takes time, there are no guarantees, and it is incredibly difficult to create something with the same level of gravitas as CoD (ask EA and Ubisoft). So it's bizarre for it to be seen as self-inflicted, when in fact, they have gone out of their way to expand their capabilities to compete in the sector, prior to an acquisition nobody would have even considered likely.
Sony acquired Bungie after the AB acquisition was announced, just to be accurate.

Whilst I don't think it's self-inflicted and am probably more aligned with your overall point, it does show an overall level of over confidence from Sony that starting with the PS4 they completely gave up on developing their own AAA multiplayer FPS titles, when the genre is so popular. To be frank, the likes of Killzone, Resistance and MAG simply weren't good enough to be what Sony needed them to be, but instead of going back to the drawing board they cut lucrative third party deals to sure-up the association with those titles on their consoles.

I don't think this is a mistake, it's smart business from their point of view, but it has now left them in a somewhat precarious position. They clearly did know that given that they have multiple GAAS multiplayer titles in development, not least from one of their best studios with some highly regarded talent at Guerrilla, but it will take time for that title and their others to deliver results.

The gaming industry moves very quickly. Where Halo and Battlefield once reigned supreme there is Call of Duty and Fortnight. A Valorant can exist in a world where CS exists. The idea that Microsoft controlling Call of Duty is a death sentence for PlayStation is hugely overblown and PlayStation are already far down the track on delivering with their own teams.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sony acquired Bungie after the AB acquisition was announced, just to be accurate.

Whilst I don't think it's self-inflicted and am probably more aligned with your overall point, it does show an overall level of over confidence from Sony that starting with the PS4 they completely gave up on developing their own AAA multiplayer FPS titles, when the genre is so popular. To be frank, the likes of Killzone, Resistance and MAG simply weren't good enough to be what Sony needed them to be, but instead of going back to the drawing board they cut lucrative third party deals to sure-up the association with those titles on their consoles.

I don't think this is a mistake, it's smart business from their point of view, but it has now left them in a somewhat precarious position. They clearly did know that given that they have multiple GAAS multiplayer titles in development, not least from one of their best studios with some highly regarded talent at Guerrilla, but it will take time for that title and their others to deliver results.

The gaming industry moves very quickly. Where Halo and Battlefield once reigned supreme there is Call of Duty and Fortnight. A Valorant can exist in a world where CS exists. The idea that Microsoft controlling Call of Duty is a death sentence for PlayStation is hugely overblown and PlayStation are already far down the track on delivering with their own teams.
Sony announced the acquisition of Bungie after the announcement of ATVI, but the talks had been ongoing for over a year, so it wasn't really a response to ATVI.

I don't think there's any inherent overconfidence behind their decision to let their development studios create titles that they wanted to (Horizon, Spider-Man/Ratchet), as opposed to mandating that Insomniac and Guerilla remain committed to developing their killer app FPS title.

There's some notion that they should have expected that Activision Blizzard would no longer be an independent entity, which prior to the past two years, was not something that anyone really foresaw. A platform holder is unable to provide coverage for every genre through their own studios, and thus are reliant on third parties to bridge the gap.

I personally subscribe to the line of thought that MS shouldn't have any restraints on its platform release strategy for any of its acquisitions. The sooner this closes the sooner we'll all be happy and might as well use all weapons at its arsenal to make Xbox the destination for gaming by using the wealth of ATVI's library. But I also am cognizant of how transformative this acquisition is, which I think is either frequently overlooked or purposely understated.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was referring to Psygnosis. They bought them for about £20 million with a much smaller workforce. The considerations are vastly higher and more complex with Bungie.
Psygnosis was itself nearly a decade old and one of the top publishers in the UK (and really Europe at large) when Sony bought them. They had multiple dev studios in the UK and Germany (and shortly the USA and France), a huge publishing and marketing program with over a dozen partner studios (including notably DMA Design) and even developed micro/console dev kits with partner SN Systems (who Sony also bought). They weren't some fledgling garage start up by the time they were acquired.

The price paid in 1993 was little for sure but in 1996 Sony floated a Psygnosis sale to interested parties and offers apparently went as high as $300m. Which is more than Sony's paid for any game studio apart from Bungie (afaik) and nearly as much as MS paid for Rare several years later.

I know you want to handwave how things went with Psygnosis as "different" but you need a different approach. They were a notable publisher with huge IP and hundreds of staff (over 700 employees in their 8 global studios by 1997). Bungie being bigger for their day is even arguable.

Last edited: