Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose we can assume that what Microsoft was offering wasn't enough, and that's why they made this last offer. It would seem strange if this divestiture was the one they were discussing, and it was only submitted today, right? Also, I can't see how the end of phase 1 on October 18th aligns with the timeline of the agreement between Microsoft and ABK. This all sounds strange to me.
The deadline may be October, but they don't have to wait until then, I suppose. The CMA seemed to be willing to fast-track this new investigation if Microsoft presented a new deal that assuaged their concerns back when both parties requested the CAT to suspend the appeal.

Apr 25, 2023
The Ubisoft press release:

Activision Blizzard Games Coming To Ubisoft+

Daniel O'Connor
Yes, you read that headline right.

Ubisoft today announced the signing of an agreement which will give Ubisoft cloud streaming rights to games like Call of Duty and more, coming into effect upon the completion of Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard. The agreement includes the complete slate of current Activision Blizzard games, as well as all their new titles launching in the 15 years after the closing of Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard. The games will land on Ubisoft+, while also allowing Ubisoft to license them to cloud gaming companies, service providers, and console makers.

With a single subscription to Ubisoft+ Multi Access, players will soon be able to play their favorite Ubisoft and Activision Blizzard games across multiple platforms including PC, Xbox consoles and Amazon Luna, and on the PlayStation platform through Ubisoft+ Classics. The agreement will offer players even greater access to a large library of beloved and classic titles as well as the newest releases, all through cloud streaming.

Cloud gaming allows a wide range of content to be accessed on a multitude of devices, giving players even more ways to play on a broader range of hardware with fewer barriers. "We're dedicated to delivering amazing experiences to our players wherever they choose to play," said Chris Early, Senior Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Business Development, Ubisoft. "Over the past 15 years we've built and honed our online services and distribution ecosystem into one of the most complete in the industry. Today's deal gives players even more opportunities to access and enjoy some of the biggest brands in gaming."

Ubisoft will announce more about how and when Activision Blizzard titles will be added to Ubisoft+ and other cloud gaming platforms in the future. In the meantime, discover what's available with Ubisoft+ and stay tuned to the Ubisoft News homepage for more news and updates.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
Doesn't this screw UK gamers lol. Now they have to subscribe to Ubisoft+ to stream Activision games instead of just game pass.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
They'll have an extra option regarding which service to use to play their ActiBlizz games.
I'm not sure how this differs from what MS already promised, except for the "in perpetuity" part, which was 10 years previously (worldwide).

How is not different? They're selling the streaming rights for ABK games to Ubisoft and anyone who wants to stream them, including MS themselves, will have to make a deal with Ubi.

This is a concession unlike any other they've presented…

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
The deadline may be October, but they don't have to wait until then, I suppose. The CMA seemed to be willing to fast-track this new investigation if Microsoft presented a new deal that assuaged their concerns back when both parties requested the CAT to suspend the appeal.

As I see it, now, if the CMA wants to block this deal, they don't necessarily have to reach a final decision. They simply need to indicate that they require a phase 2 review, and the deal is likely to collapse.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Nice article by Tom Warren.

Some snips below.

www.theverge.com

Microsoft to sell off Activision cloud gaming rights to Ubisoft in bid for UK approval

A big change to Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard acquisition.

"To address the concerns about the impact of the proposed acquisition on cloud game streaming raised by the UK Competition and Markets Authority, we are restructuring the transaction to acquire a narrower set of rights," says Microsoft president Brad Smith. "This includes executing an agreement effective at the closing of our merger that transfers the cloud streaming rights for all current and new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years to Ubisoft Entertainment SA, a leading global game publisher. The rights will be in perpetuity."

"Ubisoft will compensate Microsoft for the cloud streaming rights to Activision Blizzard's games through a one-off payment and through a market-based wholesale pricing mechanism, including an option that supports pricing based on usage," explains Smith. "It will also give Ubisoft the opportunity to offer Activision Blizzard's games to cloud gaming services running non-Windows operating systems."

Last edited:

Iggy1404

Feb 12, 2020
Are we sure this is only for UK? I would say that they are giving the streaming rights globally not just in UK. I tried finding info that says that this is UK only affair but it's not worded like that anywhere.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't just for UK. None of the press releases say it's just for UK.
It's world wide. End of story.

But this is just streaming. Has nothing to do with downloadables.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
From the XBox OT concerning global or non global rights….

The divestment will take place immediately before completion of Microsoft's acquisition of Activision. Ubisoft will also receive a non-exclusive licence for Activision's EEA cloud gaming rights to enable it to stream and sub-license streaming of Activision games in that region. At the same time, Microsoft will receive a non-exclusive licence from Ubisoft for cloud streaming rights to the extent necessary for Microsoft to fulfil its obligations under its commitments to the European Commission and certain existing third-party cloud streaming agreements.

It's from one of the press releases…

reksveks

May 17, 2022

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for the clarification, but what makes you think so? I'm not seeing any exceptions like EU listed anywhere?
Microsoft Corporation (Microsoft) and Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Activision) have notified to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) an acquisition by which Microsoft will acquire Activision, excluding Activision's cloud streaming rights outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). As part of the proposed acquisition, Activision's global cloud streaming rights (excluding the EEA) for all current and future Activision PC and console games released during the next 15 years will be divested to Ubisoft Entertainment SA (Ubisoft).

Eduardo

Apr 26, 2023
Thanks for the clarification, but what makes you think so? I'm not seeing any exceptions like EU listed anywhere?

The CMA is investigating the anticipated acquisition by Microsoft Corporation of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (excluding Activision Blizzard, Inc.'s non-EEA cloud streaming rights).

www.gov.uk

Microsoft / Activision Blizzard (ex-cloud streaming rights) merger inquiry

The CMA investigated the anticipated acquisition by Microsoft Corporation of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (excluding Activision Blizzard, Inc.’s non-EEA cloud streaming rights).

ResetEraUser

Jun 9, 2022
So what about those deals already signed with Nvidia and Boosteroid? Will those companies still get ABK games or will they now have to negotiate with Ubisoft?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I didn't have Ubisoft on the radar as a potential solution for the cloud concerns. Seems good for both parties, considering the circumstances.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
So what about those deals already signed with Nvidia and Boosteroid? Will those companies still get ABK games or will they now have to negotiate with Ubisoft?
I think those will be covered by this:
At the same time, Microsoft will receive a non-exclusive licence from Ubisoft for cloud streaming rights to the extent necessary for Microsoft to fulfil its obligations under its commitments to the European Commission and certain existing third-party cloud streaming agreements.

Iggy1404

Feb 12, 2020
Microsoft Corporation (Microsoft) and Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Activision) have notified to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) an acquisition by which Microsoft will acquire Activision, excluding Activision's cloud streaming rights outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). As part of the proposed acquisition, Activision's global cloud streaming rights (excluding the EEA) for all current and future Activision PC and console games released during the next 15 years will be divested to Ubisoft Entertainment SA (Ubisoft).

Thanks again, I missed that part.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
The divestment will take place immediately before completion of Microsoft's acquisition of Activision. Ubisoft will also receive a non-exclusive licence for Activision's EEA cloud gaming rights to enable it to stream and sub-license streaming of Activision games in that region. At the same time, Microsoft will receive a non-exclusive licence from Ubisoft for cloud streaming rights to the extent necessary for Microsoft to fulfil its obligations under its commitments to the European Commission and certain existing third-party cloud streaming agreements.

Eduardo

Apr 26, 2023
Imagine if they block again because after 15 years the rights come back to Microsoft or some bullshit.

AhhBisto

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 30, 2023
UK
Yeah so reading what the CMA have said, Microsoft tried to argue that the original order was pointless now in the face of the agreement with Sony as well as the European Commission but the CMA have basically said no, it doesn't help our concerns with the cloud.

The CMA have issued a worldwide banning order on the merger based on that original proposal, which is just regulatory procedure but I've seen he-who-shall-not-be-named cry about it on X, which is dumb as fuck.

The new deal with Ubisoft, which the head of the CMA calls Microsoft's rival, is 15 years and is worldwide with the exception of the EU (because of previously mentioned commitments there) and the idea is that Ubisoft have the ability to reach more people including non-Windows computers.

The head of the CMA is also calling it a substantially different deal, which i think was required by the Tribunal in order to go ahead without them. And just in case you thought the CMA was being too kind:

This is not a green light.

I'll put my British hat on for a second here and say that the only way this gets rejected is if the 15 years isn't long enough or if they're not happy it isn't being done via a British company.

People spoke about EE/BT before but I've argued they don't have the service set up to just take on Cloud like that. They have the infrastructure but there is no cloud gaming platform and I would have seen it by now as I'm a customer.

I think this is a good step for all involved.

The CMA issuing the final order makes them look like a strong regulatory body but we'll see now how they react to the new deal.