• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony gets 7 more days to serve the subpoena from MS, but this time it wasn't completely agreed by Microsoft (the judge granted it).

New, and it sounds like final, deadline is February 10th.

We have more info about what MS is requesting:

- 45 distinct document requests, 13 of which have multiple subparts, for a total of more than 120 separate document requests.

- These requests demand all documents related to nearly all aspects of SIE's business, as well as extensive sets of sales, financial, and personal user data (e.g., user date of birth, user country, user gender, covering what will likely be millions of users).

- Ten of these requests seek materials going back more than 11 years to January 2012.

- Sony estimates that providing the response to MS will cost approximately $2 million or more in fees and expenses and demand weeks of intense work and substantial efforts and involvement of SIE personnel.

- MS is requesting all documents related to performance reviews and evaluations of all Sony gaming leadership or management, all documents relating to SIE's gaming business sent to, received from, or exchanged with other Sony entities, and executed copies of every content licensing agreement SIE has entered into with any third-party publisher over the past 11 years, among others.

- Sony has offered to review and produce responsive, non-privileged Microsoft email, attachments, and Teams chats for seven custodians, collected from 2019 through the present.

- Sony is not happy with the "unrealistically short deadlines and irrelevant requests" from MS.

- In any case, Sony anticipates that this will be its last request for an extension to the motion to quash deadline and that they will either reach final agreement or narrow any impasse by February 10, 2023. Microsoft disagrees with the relief requested in this motion.

More drama :p

lol that seems like an excessive ask. I doubt any of that is unearthed, would like to hear the justification for requesting it though.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
What happens if Sony does not provide these documents?
A motion to compel, then a subsequent motion to suppress. Then the judge will review the documents and determine if they need to be delivered to the requesting party. There's a standard the judge will use to determine their "disclose-ability."

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
lol that seems like an excessive ask. I doubt any of that is unearthed, would like to hear the justification for requesting it though.
Doesn't seem excessive at all. This is a $70bn acquisition Sony are trying to stop. $2m is nothing. They are claiming all this harm to their business so their whole gaming business needs to be examined in detail to see if that's the case, can't just take their word for it.

Mmmmmkay

Jan 28, 2023
How much of this stuff ends up being released to the public? I need another Epic vs Apple, where companies are just putting everything out, in my life.
This is for the FTC so if I'm not mistaken it's all public knowledge. Maybe someone else knows for sure
I added to the original post one item that I missed:

- Sony has offered to review and produce responsive, non-privileged Microsoft email, attachments, and Teams chats for seven custodians, collected from 2019 through the present.

If this finally goes to court, more than a few.

The judge will decide if the request makes sense and the extent of it.

It will depend on what finally has to be shared.

Sony says that MS should focus on the ultimate issue of this case "whether Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Inc. may lessen competition" and not with "completely irrelevant requests". They don't sound happy.
But we have to remember that Sony has made a pretty emphatic claim that can't survive without cod so at minimum they're going to have to provide documentation to back up that claim. It definitely becomes relevant to show post merger effects on competition.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Yup, why does MS need Sony's user data including birthdates and such? Completley irrelevant.
That seems like one of the easiest ones to defend? Understanding the demographics of consoles can help build an argument like Nintendo has a similar demographic to Sony so why would you exclude Nintendo from the market?

Oct 25, 2017
Nonetheless, despite Microsoft's unreasonably broad Subpoena and infeasibly short
deadlines, SIE has been diligently working with Microsoft and simply needs seven more days to
complete that process. As a show of good faith, SIE has already begun producing material
responsive to Microsoft's requests even while negotiations are ongoing.

SIE believes that negotiations have been productive and expects that further negotiations
may resolve nearly all issues. Microsoft agreed that it also believes further negotiations are
likely to narrow or eliminate most disputes. Yet Microsoft has offered to extend SIE's time only
to negotiate the scope of the documents requests and has refused to extend SIE's time to
negotiate the scope of custodial collections (i.e., whose documents will be collected and
reviewed for responsiveness), a position that Microsoft only conveyed to SIE after close of
business last night, February 1.

and executed copies of every content licensing agreement SIE has entered into with any third-party publisher over the past 11 years (No. 35), to name just a few.

Gonna be a drama filled few weeks.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Sony gets 7 more days to serve the subpoena from MS, but this time it wasn't completely agreed by Microsoft (the judge granted it).

- 45 distinct document requests, 13 of which have multiple subparts, for a total of more than 120 separate document requests.

- These requests demand all documents related to nearly all aspects of SIE's business, as well as extensive sets of sales, financial, and personal user data (e.g., user date of birth, user country, user gender, covering what will likely be millions of users).

- Ten of these requests seek materials going back more than 11 years to January 2012.

- Sony estimates that providing the response to MS will cost approximately $2 million or more in fees and expenses and demand weeks of intense work and substantial efforts and involvement of SIE personnel.

- MS is requesting all documents related to performance reviews and evaluations of all Sony gaming leadership or management, all documents relating to SIE's gaming business sent to, received from, or exchanged with other Sony entities, and executed copies of every content licensing agreement SIE has entered into with any third-party publisher over the past 11 years, among others.

- Sony is not happy with the "unrealistically short deadlines and irrelevant requests" from MS.

- In any case, Sony anticipates that this will be its last request for an extension to the motion to quash deadline and that they will either reach final agreement or narrow any impasse by February 10, 2023. Microsoft disagrees with the relief requested in this motion.

Ugh that's overstepping a lot no?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Respectfully, you're re-framing the discussion we were having. The post I was responding to was neither about what MS needs to survive, nor was any of my counter argument relating to Sony needing CoD to survive. I was responding to the premise that if the deal was blocked there was no hope of anyone challenging Sony. Someone did say that. I was responding. I don't think anything I said was unreasonable, and I don't really fancy engaging with a reframed version of that designed to make it seem like my comments were unreasonable.
Understood, probably just a reflex to respond those arguments. I don't think my take is unreasonable either cuz that's the question that the regulators are actually considering - is this acquisition prevents Sony's ability to compete? But fair enough, you were indeed not making those arguments. My bad.

But respectfully (for real), what you told me to do was to look for your last response to TruP1aya for more info (without a link). And that comment was almost 2 pages back lol. And then THAT comment doesn't make sense because it responds to TruP1aya by explaining that you were referencing a previous comment. And then I clicked on 5 more links to go back to the original comment. I just wanted to respond to what you were saying. This is too much work T_T And ultimately, I don't think it says anything about MS needing this deal to challenge Sony either. "But if they [the regulators] see them [Sony's talking points] as valid? Well then there is no hope for anyone to challenge Sony in the "high end market". They are entrenched and basically untouchable."

Maybe I misunderstood EZMode, but I interpreted it as them making a tongue in cheek comment that if the regulators fully take Sony at their (obviously biased) word, such as only looking only at this invented "high end console market", then good luck to anyone ever being allowed to challenge Sony at all at the levels that will be necessary to take on an entrenched competitor with all of the advantages - ie: exactly what I was saying.

If I'm wrong, then I'll take the L, but I think we were maybe all in a bit of a misunderstanding spiral.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, why does MS need Sony's user data including birthdates and such? Completley irrelevant.
Age is not irrelevant if you want to start looking at user demographics. It's like that chart of Nintendo user's ages last year. People think they're a "kiddie" company until you look at the actual user age demographics.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

9wJSJKR.png

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Those MS requests are out of line.

Sony won't provide anything until a judge determines any of those requests are at all relevant.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will they? At some point Xbox continuing to lose marketshare while Playstation continues to gain marketshare will have MS investors screaming even more than they already do to get rid of Xbox, and if they get loud enough Satya and the board will have to listen
Investors couldn't give a shit about console market share. That's whatever. They're looking at the division's total revenue growth.

Xbox is so much more than console now. I thought this much was obvious for some time. Game Pass isn't limited to console, it is seeing fastest growth on PC, and apps on TV and mobile. MS had a strong presence on Steam these days with games constantly in the top sellers. They own the biggest selling game of all time in Minecraft.

Xbox had a revenue decline YoY last quarter because obviously they didn't release the likes of AoE, Halo and FH5 like they did the year prior, all of which generated a significant chunk of revenue. That's not going to be the case going forward with the amount of content they have in development. The revenue will soon be back on the growth path again, with or without ABK.

Phil has gone on record saying that the main driver for the ABK purchase was mobile, where they have no presence currently. And no doubt the Blizzard side is very interesting for their growth Initiative on PC. But the main piece of the console pie in CoD they're keeping multiplat anyway. So whether it goes through or not is not going to have much impact on their console plans, but will force them to find a plan B for mobile.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I am pro-acquisition of ABK but we are all playing armchair CMA anti-regulator here. We could easily see it get blocked and I don't think one statement gives any indication that it will or will not. Now, if its the middle of next week and they hinting at knowing then maybe
I just want corporate messaging to sound like a teen who doesn't care for like, a week.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I was involved in a major discovery process like this for a big financial firm I worked for once.

We were redacting documents in Adobe for weeks. I still have nightmares about those PDF files I was combining and sending.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Those MS requests are out of line.

Sony won't provide anything until a judge determines any of those requests are at all relevant.

Sony must provide the info, they've under a subpoena. After that, it's a question on whether the judge thinks the information is relevant. Sony says that their business will be heavily impacted by the ABK acquisition, it's their job to provide proof of that.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That seems like one of the easiest ones to defend? Understanding the demographics of consoles can help build an argument like Nintendo has a similar demographic to Sony so why would you exclude Nintendo from the market?
^ yea. This is one that I actually didn't bat an eye at. Realistically, MS asks for this in raw form knowing that they may end up with aggregated summaries of users instead (which is inherently less useful because Sony gets to kind of choose how they present that data). But knowing demographics is pretty important when you're trying to figure out which portion of Sony's population might actually be affected by any such move. And part of that might be exploring how the demographics of players has changed (broadened) over time. Or at least it COULD be a reasonable argument, which is why MS is trying to get it.

Same with some of these other asks. They make sense if you go "ok what is the compromise version of this request?'

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Did I just time travel 2017, are people really claiming Microsoft will cut off the Xbox brand. Xbox has rapidly grown over the past few years. I believe it's even bigger than the windows. Yes, Microsoft could cut off the Xbox tomorrow but it's going to hurt.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
Can definitely understand why Sony was pushing the date on that subpoena.

MS are NOT leaving this process empty-handed😂

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Did I just time travel 2017, are people really claiming Microsoft will cut off the Xbox brand. Xbox has rapidly grown over the past few years. I believe it's even bigger than the windows. Yes, Microsoft could cut off the Xbox tomorrow but it's going to hurt.
Based on revenue alone they're bigger than Windows but Windows is likely far more profitable, we can't really know because Microsoft doesn't report profit numbers. It's probably not that crazy to think that Xbox is not very profitable right now based on how many studios they're onboarding, games they're signing onto Game Pass, consoles they're selling for a loss, etc. I don't believe that Microsoft might cut off Xbox anytime soon, especially with Satya at the helm, but just looking at "sizes" (based on revenue) doesn't give you the full picture.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ms like one of the easiest ones to defend? Understanding the demographics of consoles can help build an argument like Nintendo has a similar demographic to Sony so why would you exclude Nintendo fr

Age is not irrelevant if you want to start looking at user demographics. It's like that chart of Nintendo user's ages last year. People think they're a "kiddie" company until you look at the actual user age demographics.

^ yea. This is one that I actually didn't bat an eye at. Realistically, MS asks for this in raw form knowing that they may end up with aggregated summaries of users instead (which is inherently less useful because Sony gets to kind of choose how they present that data). But knowing demographics is pretty important when you're trying to figure out which portion of Sony's population might actually be affected by any such move. And part of that might be exploring how the demographics of players has changed (broadened) over time. Or at least it COULD be a reasonable argument, which is why MS is trying to get it.

Same with some of these other asks. They make sense if you go "ok what is the compromise version of this request?'
While the request is done in the US, some of that information is for users residing outside the US, some of them living in countries where that information is protected and can't be shared. Unless they're only asking for US users.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
While the request is done in the US, some of that information is for users residing outside the US, some of them living in countries where that information is protected and can't be shared. Unless they're only asking for US users.
That's Sony's job to figure out. Either way, information that is protected and can't be shared is likely related to sharing with third party companies, a government subpoena isn't really the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem excessive at all. This is a $70bn acquisition Sony are trying to stop. $2m is nothing. They are claiming all this harm to their business so their whole gaming business needs to be examined in detail to see if that's the case, can't just take their word for it.

Not at all? Why do they need personal user data or performance reviews for executives, and contracts for every deal they've ever made with a third party? I assume a judge has to rule on whether this is relevant, and without knowing their justification It sounds extremely excessive, especially when they asked for this originally they gave them only a handful of days to retrieve the information.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why do they need personal user data or performance reviews for executives, and contracts for every deal they've ever made with a third party? I assume a judge has to rule on whether this is relevant, and without knowing their justification It sounds extremely excessive, especially when they asked for this originally they gave them only a handful of days to retrieve the information.
Think about the arguments that will ultimately be made down the line and the required evidence. User data to give better competitive comparison on demographics and location.. Contracts for third party to no doubt argue the main complainant is participating in anti-competitive activity, taking advantage of their market leader position etc. No idea about executive performance reviews etc.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all? Why do they need personal user data or performance reviews for executives, and contracts for every deal they've ever made with a third party? I assume a judge has to rule on whether this is relevant, and without knowing their justification It sounds extremely excessive, especially when they asked for this originally they gave them only a handful of days to retrieve the information.
Age demographics. Executive bonuses based on performance/financial targets. Some of that stuff might get shut down by a judge, but Microsoft is asking for that information for whatever analysis or investigatory path they want to pursue. It's not unheard of. Remember Epic vs Apple? Sony wasn't even named in that one, but they got dragged in and we got all kinds of details for things we didn't really need, but were happy to get (i.e. cross-play tax).

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I can just see the MS response now for when the deal gets blocked.

"We are very disappointed that we were not able to complete our acquisition of ABK and we are re-evaluating our position in the industry"

And then the doom posts come with people saying Xbox is going to get shut down, then MS has to say Xbox isn'y going anywhere, then we get more layoff this time hitting Xbox a lot harder.

God I just hope it goes through or it's going to be a painful year.
If they can spend 70 billion dollars on Activision, they sure as hell can spend that amount on their own 1st party.

The amount of shit they could create with that money is just... Insane. But that process takes time and MS knows this.

That's why they're partially out to get guaranteed hits such as CoD. It'd be their Game Pass killerapp (but this isn't the only reason).

In the end, all you really need is one really great game to move the needle. MS proved that with Gears of War and basically the entire 360 generation (I'm not saying they didn't have more to to offer because of course they did, but Gears defined their success).

The Series X is an amazing console. They don't need CoD to succeed, they just need to start pumping out more 1st party titles and not rush things and good things will come. High-Fi Rush was a pleasant surprise, now imagine The Evil Within 3 or brand new IP's...!

As much as I've been against this deal, neither me nor anyone else want MS to shut anything down - That would be catastrophic for the industry.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I was involved in a major discovery process like this for a big financial firm I worked for once.

We were redacting documents in Adobe for weeks. I still have nightmares about those PDF files I was combining and sending.
Exactly.

It would take more than a few days for everything MS is asking for to see if anything needs to be redacted.

Performance reviews and evaluations is....something.

It seems overly broad.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Exactly.

It would take more than a few days for everything MS is asking for to see if anything needs to be redacted.

It seems overly broad.
I believe Sony has had a while for this and they've gotten the deadline extended a few times. This is just likely the final deadline they'll get.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Why do they need personal user data or performance reviews for executives, and contracts for every deal they've ever made with a third party? I assume a judge has to rule on whether this is relevant, and without knowing their justification It sounds extremely excessive, especially when they asked for this originally they gave them only a handful of days to retrieve the information.
I assume that user data can be compared against Activision's user data? Discrepancies can be leveraged.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Exactly.

It seems overly broad.
I definitely think it is overly broad but I guess I don't know the reasoning for some of this stuff. I definitely get the DOBs, genders, regions, etcs. Those demos of their customers makes sense.

We had to give that stuff, too, and it was tough. We were redacting all SSNs, names, full addresses besides state. It was a nightmare. Combining docs, filing them in folders on clowd drives. Double checking. I even saw actual counsel doing the work with the rest of us.

Last edited:

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
It's really not that hard to figure out though. Nowadays basically anything that's announced as "console exclusive" is a moneyhat. I guess it'd be interesting to see the nature of their deals with Marvel, but other than that I think it's already pretty cut and dry...

I don't think you really understand the types of documents they're going to get, they're going to get dates, amounts, times, what is included in agreements and how 3rd parties have been dealing with Sony. This isn't some document just stating the price and how long the deal is.

This is the shit I want out of this deal, no matter the outcome this would be cool to see if it "leaked" we don't often get to see the dirty deals these companies do so it would be cool to see them. Sony won't need to worry if they leak because I'm positive people wouldn't really care lol, I do feel like this was the big fuck around and find out scenario when Sony kept saying PlayStation could not survive the transaction if it were to happen.

Unless you know what redacted documents say nothing is completely irrelevant because Sony could be saying stuff that puts that information into question.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Console war rhetoric, extremely long history of similar behavior
As much as I've been against this deal, neither me nor anyone else want MS to shut anything down - That would be catastrophic for the industry.

Would it really be catastrophic? Industry seemed to be doing fine before Xbox and all the studios would find new buyers easily.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Would it really be catastrophic? Industry seemed to be doing fine before Xbox and all the studios would find new buyers easily.
Sony needs a direct competitor to push them to innovate rather than iterate alone. Also to keep them in check. Given the extremely high barrier to entry, Microsoft exiting the hardware business is a net negative for the industry. Unless the sell Xbox no one is going to fill the void.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what the CMA does or says, this is a court issue in the US. They have to comply if the court says so. So even if the CMA says no and basically kills the deal, Microsoft can still drag Sony through the mud if they wanted to.

Would Microsoft be that petty though?

There were more players in the pool before Xbox came. All of them have dropped out of the console game.

Uh, there was Sega and that's it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It would be, because it would leave Sony with no real competitors. Their only competition would be PC and Nintendo, and both largely appeal to different audiences. Sony basically wouldn't have any competition fighting for the same audience as them.
But I'm not sure why this is even being discussed, even if this deal is killed the chances of Microsoft pulling out of gaming as a result is negligible. They already have over 20 studios, great IPs and a subscription which shits all over Sony's, they'd be perfectly fine.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony: "I don't think a 30% cut is fair to us. Give us 40%. You disagree? Where else are you gonna go. Lol"

OR

Sony: "Hey customers. I don't think $70 is fair to us for all of this quality. Give us $80."

What a strange thing to say. I'm not saying definitively that Sony would do either, but it would be terrible for the entire industry. Much worse than Microsoft buying a large publisher because it would put almost every dev at the mercy of Sony.

No clue, but if Sony torpedoed my big deal, I don't know why I would make their life any easier.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I mean. Seems like an easy solve when MS also wants geographic information of the users. Exclude the ones that are protected. Or limit it to the US. MS is gonna make the request broad regardless and let it shake out where it will.

Think about the arguments that will ultimately be made down the line and the required evidence. User data to give better competitive comparison on demographics and location.. Contracts for third party to no doubt argue the main complainant is participating in anti-competitive activity, taking advantage of their market leader position etc. No idea about executive performance reviews etc.
Executive bonuses based on performance/financial targets.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. No Sony executive ever got a pay bonus based on COD's performance that year. But again, remember that MS is asking for the over broad version of all of these by design. That way they can negotiate down to a compromise. You know, exactly the same thing they've been doing with regulators in their concessions - and not dissimilar to what people here have been saying Sony has been doing with MS (extracting concessions).

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

There's always been multiple people putting out high spec machines. Nintendo, NEC, Sega then later Nintendo, Sega, SNK, Atari, 3DO then after that Nintedo, Sony, Sega. But now it's only Microsoft and Sony putting out for the high end market, If Microsoft dropped out it'd only be Sony with Nintendo doing their own thing like they have been since the Wii.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

There was Neo Geo, Turbo Grax 16 and that's it, but they dropped out in the mid 90's. And Sega dropped out in 2001. I think if MS would drop out of thr hardware race hypothetically, maybe Apple or Google would take a stab at it. Don't think the big tech companies would just leave Nintendo and Sony alone and own the gaming marketshare

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Sony needs a direct competitor to push them to innovate rather than iterate alone. Also to keep them in check. Given the extremely high barrier to entry, Microsoft exiting the hardware business is a net negative for the industry. Unless the sell Xbox no one is going to fill the void.
Isn't their ultimate goal with gamepass and xcloud to leave the dedicated hardware business? If gamepass and xcloud take off you don't need an Xbox to play anything. You just need a smart tv or a small dongle or your phone. I could see them dropping the high end Xbox in the future regardless of all this.