• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mmmmmkay

Jan 28, 2023
For stalker , even if they have a 3 / 6 month delay, they are in War and they should have some difficulty to make the game on another platform.
If even square enix said this on ff16, imagines people that are fighting.
Stalker dev may need more Time than what the contract said.
Yeah that's why I said a lot had changed since that deal came out. With them still trying to button up the Xbox/PC build and then working on the already confirmed DLC, it may be a long while before they ship a PS version. They're considerably understaffed due to the move and the fact that many stayed to fight so who knows when or if they'll get to it.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Gigi Sohn Withdraws Nomination To The FCC

Public interest advocate Gigi Sohn is withdrawing her nomination to the FCC, after a 16-month battle in which she faced relentless attacks from industry lobbyists and from commentators on the right. “When I accepted his nomination over sixteen months ago, I could not have imagined that legions...

Gigi Sohn is withdrawing her nomination to the FCC, after a 16-month battle in which she faced relentless attacks from industry lobbyists and from commentators on the right.

Assuming this is ok to put here due to the current situation. My apologies if not.

Edit: I read this as FTC during the free 60 seconds I had before a work thing. I'm a moron, I know. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
deadline.com

Public interest advocate Gigi Sohn is withdrawing her nomination to the FCC, after a 16-month battle in which she faced relentless attacks from industry lobbyists and from commentators on the right. “When I accepted his nomination over sixteen months ago, I could not have imagined that legions...

Assuming this is ok to put here due to the current situation. My apologies if not.
Excuse my ignorance but what does the FCC have to do with this?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

FTC is the relevant agency for this thread, not the FCC.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

This doesn't really apply here. This is about getting Gigi to be the head of the FCC and a huge push from companies like Comcast, Spectrum, Cox and Fox to get her blocked because they were terrified of her restoring net neutrality and other rules that would limit their ability to fuck over consumers.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
deadline.com

No harm done. ;P

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It has an "F" and a "C" in it?
thor-of-course.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
deadline.com

Not super relevant, but it's a nice reminder that in addition to the FTC and the SEC, we have another regulating body that has fallen asleep at the wheel and let massive corps run rampant.

Edit: well maybe fall asleep isn't the right description. They intentionally drove off the cliff

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
... Fuck. That's what I get for reading and posting before heading into another thing. My apologies for the dumb post everyone!

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It would make sense to be multiplat for an mmo.
It would make zero sense for it not to be. Single player = exclusive. Multiplayer = not exclusive. I don't know why you'd intentionally cut off millions of potential customers for an online game. I know Sony might be willing to do that with Factions by excluding Xbox/Switch, but I don't see Zenimax Online/Microsoft following suit.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hope the YouGov poll becomes public soon. We need to know the total sample size for this to be meaningful. Also did MSFT say if this was among UK gamers?

AFAIK the CMA's poll was specifically for the UK market.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Hope the YouGov poll becomes public soon. We need to know the total sample size for this to be meaningful. Also did MSFT say if this was among UK gamers?

AFAIK the CMA's poll was specifically for the UK market.
It was a UK poll administered by a UK company. That 3% switching metric comes eerily close to the CMA's own 3-4% switching numbers. If they're going to try to use that number to indicate a substantial lessening of competition, then that sure sounds irrational to me.

Tigerfan2019

Jun 14, 2020
It would make zero sense for it not to be. Single player = exclusive. Multiplayer = not exclusive. I don't know why you'd intentionally cut off millions of potential customers for an online game. I know Sony might be willing to do that with Factions by excluding Xbox/Switch, but I don't see Zenimax Online/Microsoft following suit.
your comparison doesn't make sense of course Factions want be on Xbox that's like expecting Halo online MP to be on PlayStation.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
your comparison doesn't make sense of course Factions want be on Xbox that's like expecting Halo online MP to be on PlayStation.
No ****. Zenimax Online has a history of releasing games on multiple platforms because they'd want to reach as large of an audience as possible. That would include their new, unannounced game, which is what we were talking about. Naughty Dog doesn't have that history and would be more likely to exclude other platforms at the expense of reaching a smaller audience for their MMO.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
It was a UK poll administered by a UK company. That 3% switching metric comes eerily close to the CMA's own 3-4% switching numbers. If they're going to try to use that number to indicate a substantial lessening of competition, then that sure sounds irrational to me.
They may not be able to block but they sure could squeeze some extra behavioral concessions.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
But pound for pound, an acquisition is different to a money hat. One is a permanent foreclosure - or raises the possibility of same - one is temporary and open to ongoing contention from others.

There is no "pound for pound" comparison that's relevant here though. A pound of acquisition costs you about 50 pounds of moneyhat, and that's without considering that moneyhats get cheaper the more dominant you are in a market. If a pound of acquisition and a pound of moneyhat cost remotely the same, nobody would ever moneyhat anything ever, because it would be absolutely stupid to do so.

If you wanted to talk about it in a "pound for pound" manner you would count Bethesda as a strike and then Final Fantasy as a strike... and then you'd be totalling a whole different scale of strikes for the practice of moneyhats that'd outnumber acquisitions like 50 to 1 conservatively.

That is exactly what they're doing though, people seem to forget, but Microsoft's initial offer for COD was barely 3 years. They would come out with the Xbox Series X2 or whatever they'll call it, and have Call of Duty (one of console gaming's most important IP) exclusively on Xbox when the field resets in 2028.

This angle of "they initially offered it for 3 years, because they were planning to make it exclusive in 2028" is tired and baseless. 3 years after acquiring Minecraft, Sony decided to try and veto crossplay/cross-progression/cross-purchase for that game. At the point Microsoft was free to stop updating Minecraft for PlayStation at all, and could even have delisted it off the platform entirely if IP deprivation (at a time where it was now stronger and more ingrained than when they bought it) was their true evil intentions. That clearly wasn't their goal though was it? Having a shorter agreement duration simply allowed for more flexibility in negotiating their use of the IP when renewing. That is something they will now have conceded for 10 years minimum, which in an alternate universe would likely mean that Minecraft wouldn't have the Better Together update yet until next year at the earliest as opposed to back in 2017.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There is no "pound for pound" comparison that's relevant here though. A pound of acquisition costs you about 50 pounds of moneyhat, and that's without considering that moneyhats get cheaper the more dominant you are in a market. If a pound of acquisition and a pound of moneyhat cost remotely the same, nobody would ever moneyhat anything ever, because it would be absolutely stupid to do so.

If you wanted to talk about it in a "pound for pound" manner you would count Bethesda as a strike and then Final Fantasy as a strike... and then you'd be totalling a whole different scale of strikes for the practice of moneyhats that'd outnumber acquisitions like 50 to 1 conservatively.

My whole point is that you can't compare them pound for pound as some were, in order to conclude that moneyhats were in fact 'worse' or should raise larger anti-competitive concerns. But that if you were to do so, acquisitions still have additional qualities that raise additional regulatory concerns.

But yeah, that's my entire point - the pound of pound comparison of billions of capex being transferred over to money hats and buying up 'most' third party content or vastly more than the acquisition would, is based on a conjured premise that hasn't ever happened before and wouldn't be feasible.

That isn't to say supply deals shouldn't come under scrutiny from regulators if it's getting to a point of stifling competition, or if shady shit is going on in those deals. But imagining what 69bn could do to supply foreclosure with moneyhats, temporarily or otherwise, in order to conclude moneyhatting would be 'worse', or should trigger the same or more scrutiny from regulators, is flawed. Acquisitions play by a different financial calculus and have different potential foreclosure effects long term, and you have to loosen both those things to speculate about a moneyhat scenario that's 'worse' - or certainly, IMO, that's worse than a scenario of ongoing acquisitions and consolidation into the future vs ongoing 'moneyhatting' at the kind of levels we've seen sofar.

Sep 13, 2022
It's not really risky because Sony was on top within the current paradigm, but Microsoft's attempted purchase of ABK changes everything for them. If the gravy train is about to come to a screeching halt, it's to Sony's advantage to just blow it all up for everyone, again, because they'll still be on top when it all goes tits up.
Like I've said in the past, COD is not their only gravy train because they are the market leader. They are still making money hand over fist with Fortnite, Apex and every other GaaS on their console. They have the largest player base for all those sports games as well. All of which have MTX like crazy.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Sony suggesting MS would purposely put bugs in the last levels on the PS version to degrade their player experience is a new low for even them

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Just skimming quickly. It seems like most of the stuff Sony listed about CoD, MS said they wouldn't do. And some stuff that would be so dumb to do it wouldn't make sense lol. (Make it worse). Seems like Sony is really grasping tbh.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
There's a section in there that makes it sound like Microsoft is proposing Sony could add CoD to PS Plus, but Sony is saying that it would destroy their $70/game businesses model. (and then, saying they wouldn't accept this deal, CoD being a Game Pass "exclusive" would be anti-competitive)

Lots of focus on CoD from Sony. I just can't get past that so much is being made of this game as some sort of vital input to the console space.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Third, swiftly detecting any diversions from, and ensuring compliance with, a commitment as to technical or graphical quality would be challenging. For example, Microsoft might release a PlayStation version of Call of Duty where bugs and errors emerge only on the game's final level or after later updates.

Hahahahahhaha, absolute mad lads these boys and girls. 😆