Status
Not open for further replies.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am pretty sure nothing would change in NJPW if they decided to take a stand against some of those neck bumps, like they do not even add much to the match.

For example, the shoot style of Suzuki, the power violence style of Ishii would not suffer if NJPW prohibited shoot headbutts.

Same with the style of Omega, Naito and Ibushi. If they told them to tone down on their neck bumps it would not change their style as those moves do not defy them.

Look at the two aces of NJPW, Tana and Okada, their style is super safe, specially Okada.

So I do not see where you get this limiting shoot headbutts and neck bumps equal WWE style.

The shoot head butts are rare. Would shibata have not used that butt otherwise? Probably not.

The neck bumps are still as safe as possible. I remember back in AJPW glory years people would say too many dangerous neck bumps (way more than you see in New Japan) and again the amount of injuries caused from these was minimal.

Its wresting. Injuries happen from the smallest move to the biggest.

You say Okada is ultra safe but he took a vicious neck bump from omega last year and people lost there shit. Wrestlers sometimes will push the bar higher than usual.

I don't want to see suplexes which are never hit at an angle and everyone lands flat on there back. Wrestling where moves are banned when wrestlers can land on there heads. The product is very very safe and the injury record proves that.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
josh

it's

fucking

FAKE

I actually agree. A Commentator is there to call the match. Why wouldn't they talk about the ref and rules?

It not burying the product at all.

We wouldn't want a commentator to tell us that a submission we are watching isn't 'real' and the wrestler won't tap as it doesn't hurt.

They should call it as they see it and if that means a ref is missing something so be it..

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Josh is right. It may be fake but they present it as a real sport so the commentators should definitely bring it up.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree. A Commentator is there to call the match. Why wouldn't they talk about the ref and rules?

We wouldn't want a commentator to tell us that a submission we are watching isn't 'real' and the wrestler won't tap as it doesn't hurt.

They should call it as they see it and if that means a ref is missing something so be it..

but calling out the referee for not doing his job "properly" is basically the same as telling us that a submission "isn't real"

it's exposing the match and exposing the fake rules that are being ignored

a commentator's role is to enhance the show being put on. calling out the referee who is conveniently ignoring some rules for the sake of entertaining the fans and letting the guys beat the holy hell out of eachother helps no one.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what the ref thing is about specifically, but I agree that commentators should call it like a shoot. If the ref isn't doing their job in kayfabe, that should be called out.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I guess the issue rather than calling the rules of the product he's being an ignorant American and claiming refs should behave like US refs? It's pretty well known that they're super fucking lenient and only stop matches if they feel they need to in order to prevent shitty DQ finishes as the audience wants to see a fight. It's like throwing a fit over the ref not counting someone out at the count of 10.

Joey should continue murdering children at events then have the real mastermind behind his Japanese opponents be AZM with deathmatch Konami and Jun Kasai as her bodyguards.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
but calling out the referee for not doing his job "properly" is basically the same as telling us that a submission "isn't real"

it's exposing the match and exposing the fake rules that are being ignored

a commentator's role is to enhance the show being put on. calling out the referee who is conveniently ignoring some rules for the sake of entertaining the fans and letting the guys beat the holy hell out of eachother helps no one.
I think it's the opposite. As a viewer you can see when they let things slide, so the commentators ignoring it reminds me that it's fake. It gives the commentators credibility. The real problem is a match being booked in such a way that a ref has to be an idiot for the thing to work. Book your match in such a way that the referee doesn't have to ignore the rules.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's the opposite. As a viewer you can see when they let things slide, so the commentators ignoring it reminds me that it's fake. It gives the commentators credibility. The real problem is a match being booked in such a way that a ref has to be an idiot for the thing to work. Book your match in such a way that the referee doesn't have to ignore the rules.

The 20 count has become a joke in New Japan. It never used to be like it is now. In the past they would start counting immediately and it actually meant something. Now they just ignore it when they see fit which is ridiculous. A title can change hands on a count out FFS yet we can't even get a simple 20 count in place. That makes no sense at all.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The shoot head butts are rare. Would shibata have not used that butt otherwise? Probably not.

The neck bumps are still as safe as possible. I remember back in AJPW glory years people would say too many dangerous neck bumps (way more than you see in New Japan) and again the amount of injuries caused from these was minimal.

Its wresting. Injuries happen from the smallest move to the biggest.

You say Okada is ultra safe but he took a vicious neck bump from omega last year and people lost there shit. Wrestlers sometimes will push the bar higher than usual.

I don't want to see suplexes which are never hit at an angle and everyone lands flat on there back. Wrestling where moves are banned when wrestlers can land on there heads. The product is very very safe and the injury record proves that.

In the last years we had 3 serious injuries in NJPW: Shibata (might be career ending), Homa (in a nothing match for taking an apron DDT) and Hiromu (we still do not now how serious it will be). So it is not as "minimal" as you say. And those were just the serious injuries.

And the neck bumps that worry me are not the ones Okada takes (the ones from selling a signature move as they are trained to take those) but the ones that come from dangerous moves that are not needed like the Phoenix-Plex of Dragon Lee.

And again, you miss my point, I am not saying than from now on every German Suplex is going to land in the back, but that NJPW does not need some dangerous spots like both table bumps in the Omega vs Naito final.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between calling the refs out for not enforcing a known rule and saying "oh here comes a convenient ref bump."

Josh was doing the former. Literally all face/heel commentators do this to enhance the story.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Commentators are part of the FICTION because it's FAKE

Unless of course it's in the spirit of calling sport by deliberately shitting on the style of a match and not even attempting a basic understanding of the people in the promotion

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is why Kevin Kelly and Don Callis deserve more praise - Don's the newcomer and presents a very American-centric view, whereas Kevin's done his research. So while Don's yelling about Red Shoes being worthless and complaining about the rule breaking, Kevin mentions that there's an anything goes attitude to action on the outside and that DQ's are the at the ref's discretion, maybe bringing up how Japanese wrestling fans grew tired of non-decisive finishes and would now rather a match continue than be thrown out.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The latest Stardom press conference confirms MDK AZM as the new leader of Queens Quest making up for Nodoka's unjust betrayal at the hands of her treacherous Brave Mate last night.

Deleted member 290

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to finally give TJPW a shot, as you fuckers keep going on about it :p

I like Yuu the best so far, Itoh as well. Sakazaki was a bit botchy, but shows a lot of promise and I enjoyed Saki-sami's weird faction. Gimme some recommendations, please and thank you.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
See, this is why Kevin Kelly and Don Callis deserve more praise - Don's the newcomer and presents a very American-centric view, whereas Kevin's done his research. So while Don's yelling about Red Shoes being worthless and complaining about the rule breaking, Kevin mentions that there's an anything goes attitude to action on the outside and that DQ's are the at the ref's discretion, maybe bringing up how Japanese wrestling fans grew tired of non-decisive finishes and would now rather a match continue than be thrown out.
that's actually really cool and i never thought of it that way

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Maki is great. Sometimes I'll put on her livestream in the morning while I'm working and she'll try her hardest to speak English and interact with overseas fans.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I like Yuu the best so far, Itoh as well. Sakazaki was a bit botchy, but shows a lot of promise and I enjoyed Saki-sami's weird faction. Gimme some recommendations, please and thank you.

From what I have seen see Hyper Misao vs Jun Kasai (you are going to love that one).

See all of the TJPW Princess Cup second round matches, specially Nodoka vs Miyu.

From Wonderland 2018 see Miyu Yamashita vs Rika Tatsumi for the TPP Title.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

I'm going bed so I'll be brief but Yes! Wonderland is their best show of the year and matt had a post that explained a lot of the story stuff leading up to the event the vod's available with Japanese or English commentary though the English is more about calling storylines and translating rather than match calling. As for a quick fun match featuring some of your faves watch Yuu & Maho vs Miyu & Yuka.

Edit: As Devenir beat me to the punch with most of those matches check out Yuka vs Shoko from the 3rd Tokyo Princess Cup. It was from two year ago so they've both grown since then but it's one of the better more serious matches from deep in the archive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Fans were heckling Taelor Hendrix on her Friday night booking in San Antoniochanting "Jay Lethal," "ROH" and things a lot worse at her. She lashed back at them. Hendrix claimed she stopped being booked on ROH TV in 2017 when she refused to sleep with Jay Lethal. ROH, as noted yesterday, said it was Hendrix who quit the promotion and was still being booked when she quit. Lethal also responded saying there was nothing to the story and then asked not to use his words to attack himself or his accuser. "There is already too much hate going around in this world, so let's not add to it." He said he was confident the accusations will be proven to be completely unfounded and noted ROH is doing an investigation. Here's the deal, whatever you want to believe, please don't heckle either person involved regarding this situation. It's just hurts it for the fans who want to be entertained.
Fucking wrestling fans

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit to loling at them announcing that Juice will get DQed if he uses the cast when other matches have constant interference and weapon usage that goes completely unchecked.

tumblr_ox4i1nxIdW1qcztrfo2_400.gif

I'll never understand how Kobashi's career didn't end right here.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will admit to loling at them announcing that Juice will get DQed if he uses the cast when other matches have constant interference and weapon usage that goes completely unchecked.

tumblr_ox4i1nxIdW1qcztrfo2_400.gif

I'll never understand how Kobashi's career didn't end right here.

Granted I guess they don't really do this in NJPW but I assumed it was Jay White being conniving and getting that stip added. It was very old school.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Gorilla Position interview with The Miz gets enough praise. It's one of those things where Miz perfectly executes the line between reality and storyline that doesn't come off as Russo-levels of embarrassing

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say whether his neck is actually broken or is it another type of injury?

If I remember right, the phrasing from Meltzer was "believed to be a broken neck" which makes sense since it was probably posted before any comprehensive examinations were done.

Considering that it couldn't possibly be something as benign as a stinger, it's still probably bad enough to keep him on the shelf for a long while. He's way too young to be taking any chances on this stuff.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I miss when WWE had rules and the refs actually enforced them and commentary sold said rules. Now we have guys who uses a punch to set up a goddamn finish and another guy who used one as a finish. Excessive punches, especially to the face might actually piss me off more than flippies and overly choreographed and telegraphed spots.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In the last years we had 3 serious injuries in NJPW: Shibata (might be career ending), Homa (in a nothing match for taking an apron DDT) and Hiromu (we still do not now how serious it will be). So it is not as "minimal" as you say. And those were just the serious injuries.

And the neck bumps that worry me are not the ones Okada takes (the ones from selling a signature move as they are trained to take those) but the ones that come from dangerous moves that are not needed like the Phoenix-Plex of Dragon Lee.

And again, you miss my point, I am not saying than from now on every German Suplex is going to land in the back, but that NJPW does not need some dangerous spots like both table bumps in the Omega vs Naito final.

Hon a got injured from a move Randy Orton does every match. A draping DDT... from Jade. It was not an apron DDT

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. So I guess they're going to strip him of the title at some point.

With it being G1 season, they have a couple months of it being on the shelf before it becomes an active detriment. If this is somehow not bad enough to be rehabbed in a couple months then they should be fine, but I'd say it's very likely that they strip him and have him take his time with whatever rehab is necessary. Assuming it's not bad enough to be career-ending.

I'm just happy it's not looking like it's life-altering in the same way it's been for Takayama.

Status
Not open for further replies.