Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey did I mention how cool Haku and his Tongan sons are live?!

Cause they're badass as fuck

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Extremely pleased that NJPW have noticed how hot the UK scene is, perfect for the young lion excursion. More variety the better plus the UK talent are insanely good right now.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is why Kevin Kelly and Don Callis deserve more praise - Don's the newcomer and presents a very American-centric view, whereas Kevin's done his research. So while Don's yelling about Red Shoes being worthless and complaining about the rule breaking, Kevin mentions that there's an anything goes attitude to action on the outside and that DQ's are the at the ref's discretion, maybe bringing up how Japanese wrestling fans grew tired of non-decisive finishes and would now rather a match continue than be thrown out.
Also, Mauro and Barnett worked well together because they're both presenting from the sports perspective. JR, who stinks in 2018, and Barnett were not, so it feels especially jarring when Barnett doubles down on the sports commentator perspective.

Just bin Jim Ross at this point. He takes away more than he brings.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I believe in giving credit to creators, like in this picture.
Super+Roman+Reigns-Final-1200.jpg

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So interesting Agnew's new Call in Wrestling Radio Show that is the old LAW format essentially minus Dan Lavranski partnered up with MLW for podcast format distribution instead of teaming with Post Wrestling

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I have to say, I agree with Josh here.

The rule set is part of the kayfabe and the experience. If the refs aren't enforcing the rules it breaks immersion to just simply ignore that on commentary. Corey Graves does a pretty good job of this as well.

It should be no different than calling out a ref/ump in any other sport for missing a call.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The difference is you can't just ignore that Japanese refs work differently? If I was commentating a Marvellous show I wouldn't start crying about the ref doing nothing when it's already established she's a 60 year old who doesn't give a fuck about anything that's not a pinfall or submission.

One of the major tactics of OG Bullet Club was them taking advantage of the leniency of NJPW's refs, it's not like this is something new.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The difference is you can't just ignore that Japanese refs work differently? If I was commentating a Marvellous show I wouldn't start crying about the ref doing nothing when it's already established she's a 60 year old who doesn't give a fuck about anything that's not a pinfall or submission.
I think you can still bring it up. "Hey, this ref is letting them bend the rules a lot." It's no different than any other sport with refs who aren't calling stuff they might usually call in a big game. Commentators will bring it up.

One of the major tactics of OG Bullet Club was them taking advantage of the leniency of NJPW's refs, it's not like this is something new.

That's fine. You can still draw attention to it as a commentator and even be annoyed by it.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
So interesting Agnew's new Call in Wrestling Radio Show that is the old LAW format essentially minus Dan Lavranski partnered up with MLW for podcast format distribution instead of teaming with Post Wrestling
It sure does seem like something happened between John/Wai and Agnew, based on him not linking his show with Post, that slight dig at Post in that commercial for his show, and him not appearing on any Post recordings. I mean, Mouth was (unfortunately) on Post this weekend, so ...
Wonder why he didn't hitch his wagon to Post. Glad he didn't.
You're glad he didn't because you dislike Post or because you dislike Agnew?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that Kevin Kelly will usually put it into context and explain why the refs will be letting them get away with it. Jim Ross and Josh seemed to just complain that they were letting them get away with it which just made the ref seem incompetent. As a show airing in the US to new fans it would be beneficial to explain why Japanese refs do this and how NJPW officiating differs from US companies as new fans could be confused by it, especially when the commentators are acting confused by it too.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think the issue is that Kevin Kelly will usually put it into context and explain why the refs will be letting them get away with it. Jim Ross and Josh seemed to just complain that they were letting them get away with it which just made the ref seem incompetent. As a show airing in the US to new fans it would be beneficial to explain why Japanese refs do this and how NJPW officiating differs from US companies as new fans could be confused by it, especially when the commentators are acting confused by it too.

I think that's a fair compromise.

It always breaks immersion for me when commentators ignore anything that is going on in the match because they don't want to "expose the business." If someone botches a spot you bring it up instead of pretending like they intended to land it differently than they did. In any sport people are going to botch what they are trying to do so if it happens in fake wrestling you just play it off like someone fucked up.

And like I said earlier, refs can be lenient in any sport so there is no problem with how the NJPW officials handle things but I don't like the idea of just ignoring it either.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It sure does seem like something happened between John/Wai and Agnew, based on him not linking his show with Post, that slight dig at Post in that commercial for his show, and him not appearing on any Post recordings I mean, Mouth was (unfortunately) on Post this weekend, so ...

What did he say in his commercial again?

And yeah he didn't come back for the NXT show with Braden either

Wonder if it's simply that Post didn't want to invest in radio time... which costs money. Agnew is paying for the airtime

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Every G1 I think Tama is ready to take the next step but then he never does. Maybe an actual feud of importance will motivate him.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Tama Tonga has still not clicked with me and I've been watching him for years.

In that time, Juice clicked with me at last year's G1, Hiromu the second he returned from excursion, Kawato a few months after he started as a Young Lion and Jay White when he wrestle Page earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.