Muse98

May 28, 2020
A Twitter reply put it best

"He exaggerates losses to avoid paying taxes then inflates his property values and profits to obtain loans. That's fraud"

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the obvious kleptocracy everyone expected, there's still a lot of strong messaging to get out of that :
- $750
- his write offs weren't accounting tricks, he just got taxpayers to subsidize all his bad business decisions
- he potentially owes a $300m bill to the IRS for defrauding America of a $73m return in 2010
- he paid millions to his family as both executives and contractors to avoid taxes

In the shadow of a crisis he has criminally mismanaged, his negligence having killed 200,000 people and made millions broke, it's a powerful message here to know Marie-Antoinette here is having his cake and eating it while people are sucking on rocks.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Honestly, I'm not interested in knowing how much taxes he pays. Hardly any of the millionaires and billionaires pay their taxes and that is common knowledge. So it's not informative. It's up to the people to throw them out. The bourgeoisie will never do its duty - and the corrupt oligarchy we call "democracy" will continue to protect them.

I would be much more interested in all of Trump's debts, where and how much (huge amounts, I believe). This would really be informative!
I don't think this is true - most millionaires definitely pay their taxes in the US. Do you have any sources to the contrary? Actually curious

Really do think that his base will be pissed because of this. At least the 'moderate' republicans out there who claim to be all about fiscal responsibility.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
With how down in the polls Trump is and how his campaign is flailing to find a message against Biden, having a news story about how you're a shit businessman who doesn't pay taxes isn't going to help him.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
HAHAHAHA

OCTOBER SURPRISE IN SEPTEMBER, THIS IS YUUUUUUGE

AND THIS DEFINITELY MATTERS TO MODERATES WHICH BIDEN IS CLEANING UP WITH

whoever leaked this, kudos
I'm sure the good stuff that's in the tax returns is gonna show up in October... along with all the other stuff people have been waiting to release.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon paid $0 in taxes last year. How is anyone surprised they pay more in taxes than Trump? This is how the system works.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
People need to stop with the "nothing will happen!!!" stuff.

If he did this for federal taxes, state taxes in NY are assuredly similar.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's always a tweet

YbBViXq.jpg
To spare others the math, that's $161,950.
Which is about 216 times what Trump paid.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
I guarantee there are charitable "donations" reported in those returns that will be investigated and have no record of being made.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
meanwhile i got more than i should have out of one year's tax refunds due to declaring my college bills one month earlier than they actually existed and i got hunted down by the IRS and told my wages would be garnished within the year

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
People need to stop with the "nothing will happen!!!" stuff.

If he did this for federal taxes, state taxes in NY are assuredly similar.
People also need to realize Trump is down ten points. He needs to convince people that aren't already voting for him to vote for him.

He loses if everyone already planning to vote for him are the only people who vote for him.

We. Don't. Need. Trump. Voters. To. Flip.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
All too many Trump supporters playup his lies, while all too many Trump opponents playdown the truth. The depths of his lies should be presented and reinforced in as many ways as possible, and they should all be woven into a taprestry to define his character as a dishonest charlatan.

. The difference between now and 2016 is 4 years of lies, graft and theft shown in the everyday running of government, including the worst pandemic in many generations. Add this infomration to the pile and tie it all to the character of this man

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
You know, reading this piece I didn't think it was going to matter much. The scope of the fraud, the mismanagement, the losses, have all been pretty much an open secret for years. I wager even a good chunk of his supporters understand this and genuinely don't care.

But that $750 thing might be really damning. Its so easy to compare to your own tax bill. It would be one thing if he paid $150,000 in taxes; still a ludicrously small number considering the scale of his businesses, but also triple the median American income

$750 though? Every American has a sense of how much $750 actually is.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Doubt this puts a dent in him, Republicans have had years to prepare their spin on the inevitable tax scandal. "Look how much he gave to charity! These tax returns were obtained illegally! Witch hunt!"

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A Twitter reply put it best

"He exaggerates losses to avoid paying taxes then inflates his property values and profits to obtain loans. That's fraud"

What I don't understand is that he's also apparently known for deflating the costs of his properties to avoid paying property taxes, doesn't he? How does he inflate property value while also running that scheme?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So, like, can the NYAG call up the NYT and ask if they can have a look at these documents? Or would they not pass the chain of possession needed for legal purposes?

Summary of first article findings

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Summary of finding OP. Ivalice

worth adding or thread marking

Among the key findings of The Times's investigation:

• Mr. Trump paid no federal income taxes in 11 of 18 years that The Times examined. In 2017, after he became president, his tax bill was only $750.
  • He has reduced his tax bill with questionable measures, including a $72.9 million tax refund that is the subject of an audit by the Internal Revenue Service.
  • Many of his signature businesses, including his golf courses, report losing large amounts of money — losses that have helped him to lower his taxes.
  • The financial pressure on him is increasing as hundreds of millions of dollars in loans he personally guaranteed are soon coming due.
  • Even while declaring losses, he has managed to enjoy a lavish lifestyle by taking tax deductions on what most people would consider personal expenses, including residences, aircraft and $70,000 in hairstyling for television.
  • Ivanka Trump, while working as an employee of the Trump Organization, appears to have received "consulting fees" that also helped reduce the family's tax bill.
  • As president, he has received more money from foreign sources and U.S. interest groups than previously known. The records do not reveal any previously unreported connections to Russis
www.nytimes.com

18 Revelations From a Trove of Trump Tax Records (Published 2020)

Times reporters have obtained decades of tax information the president has hidden from public view. Here are some of the key findings.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
The cult that is Trump's base will say that this just proves how smart Trump is. Only paying $750? I would love to only pay that amount! He's so smart for finding a way to only pay $750!

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I never understand these threads.
Why would you pay more federal income tax than you owe?
Unless there is tax fraud going on here... Then that's another story.