noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing. Article is a long read, not a lot of big reveals, but looks like they have done some work on some of the basics already. Really hope that he is voted out, IRS actually goes for looking at this and he goes completely broke forever.

Hipefully they also get Ivanka, looks like she was getting quite a bit possibly as a consultant and also being paid as an executive as a way to skip estate and gift taxes.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to his supporters, I wonder if this will embolden them to play less taxes?

IRS: "I see here you haven't paid your taxes for the last 3 years. Why is that?"
Trump supporter: "Well I thought since my president did it, it was okay for me to it as well."

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I never understand these threads.
Why would you pay more federal income tax than you owe?
Unless there is tax fraud going on here... Then that's another story.
Two things: 1) there almost certainly is tax fraud involved in there, and 2) this is a man who claims to be a multi-billionaire and one of the most successful businessmen in the world. His income if he were actually the man he plays on television should necessitate paying significant amounts in taxes as an individual, even with copious deductions.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ms. Trump (Ivanka) had been an executive officer of the Trump companies that received profits from and paid the consulting fees for both projects — meaning she appears to have been treated as a consultant on the same hotel deals that she helped manage as part of her job at her father's business.

When asked about the arrangement, the Trump Organization lawyer, Mr. Garten, did not comment.

Uh oh spaghetti-o's.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
As others have pointed out, this article also shows how f'd up all the LEGAL tax avoidance stuff is for the wealthy. Everything he did in the article is crooked, but there's still ambiguity over whether any of it is illegal.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
that bit in there about more stories to come over the following weeks, i wonder if they have a more recent year

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wealthy people do look everywhere they can to minimalize taxes by writing off ridiculous expenses but they still pay something relative to what they make.

$750 is some broke ass shit or he committed straight up tax fraud, which would be the big story here.

Strong Island

May 11, 2020
Unbelievable how messed up our economic system is when the ultra rich like this pay that little federal tax. Disgusting

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As others have pointed out, this article also shows how f'd up all the LEGAL tax avoidance stuff is for the wealthy. Everything he did in the article is crooked, but there's still ambiguity over whether any of it is illegal.
i never want to hear that the majority of rich pay their fair share. Everyone making more than 400k should be in a progressive tax bracket.

Well earned by those stylists, whatever they are doing is magical.
Do you have any idea how hard it is to catch a skunk and colour its fur?

lmaooooo

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Brian Stelter mentioned on CNN that there's apparently more to come from the NYT in the next few weeks.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter what his base thinks or the polls.

What matters is now that there is an official record of his earnings, they can be compared against his loan applications with the big banks.

Banks don't give out big loans to people who are in big debt.

If Trump lied on his loan applications about how much his income was in order to get bigger loans, and then declared bankruptcy so he didn't have to remit payment, he could face millions in fines and at least 14 years in jail for loan fraud.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
How did Biden wind up owing almost $4 million in one year? Speaking fees? Did he or Jill put out a book or something?

Biden being Vice-President rather put him on the map, yes:
www.businessinsider.com

Joe and Jill Biden reported earning $16.5 million from book deals and speaking engagements since leaving the White House

The Bidens released their 2019 tax returns ahead of Biden's first presidential debate against Trump on Tuesday, September 29.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Two things: 1) there almost certainly is tax fraud involved in there, and 2) this is a man who claims to be a multi-billionaire and one of the most successful businessmen in the world. His income if he were actually the man he plays on television should necessitate paying significant amounts in taxes as an individual, even with copious deductions.

I guess I just always hear about billionaires not paying federal income tax, and this just doesn't surprise me at all. I just assume this is a problem with our tax laws. But yes if other people who do the same business Trump does always are paying tons of fed tax then probably fraud.
Does the article point of particular specifics of actual fraud?
I am not saying Trump isn't a fraud. I am just curious if they for real found actual evidence of fraud they can charge him with and what are the specifics.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck does my broke ass pay more in taxes than Trump?
For the rich and powerful most debt, including tax debt, is negotiable.

Honestly I can't fathom how soul destroying it must be to be an American, especially during this election cycle. On the one hand you have a fascist, and on the other a neoliberal democrat chosen by a party that knows they can hold the American people hostage to their failed centrist policies because they made sure there were no viable alternatives.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if he weren't so old i'd be convinced the whole campaign/presidency was a laundering scheme

though in his mind he's probably 30 years younger so may be just as well

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Pretending ur broke to pay less taxes and pretending u are making gangbusters when ur asking for a loan. What a joke

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
If he does get a second term, he'd be bankrupt before the end of it. Which would surely be a constitutional crisis.

As if we needed another reason to boot him.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Holy shit, I'm reading through the article and so much stuff lines up with his public outbursts.
Among businesses he runs, Mr. Trump's first success remains his best. The retail and commercial spaces at Trump Tower, completed in 1983, have reliably delivered more than $20 million a year in profits, a total of $ 336 .3 million since 2000 that has done much to help keep him afloat.
No wonder he went crazy on twitter when protestors sprayed BLM outside the building.

Aug 1, 2018
I guess I just always hear about billionaires not paying federal income tax, and this just doesn't surprise me at all. I just assume this is a problem with our tax laws. But yes if other people who do the same business Trump does always are paying tons of fed tax then probably fraud.
I am not saying Trump isn't a fraud. I am just curious if they for real found actual evidence of fraud they can charge him with and what are the specifics

Honest question here... is anything stopping you from reading the article yourself?

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
I am not saying Trump isn't a fraud. I am just curious if they for real found actual evidence of fraud they can charge him with and what are the specifics.

If you could detect fraud just by looking at the tax return for a few days or however long NYT has had them, the IRS would already have gotten him for it. You need evidence that he lied which would entail other sources such as bank statements, invoices, contracts, etc.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

The NY AG is most likely looking to compare his reported earnings in his taxes against what he told banks he was making. Chances are, he was lying and inflating his earnings on his bank loan applications in order to get big loans for his businesses.

I posted above that he may have lied about his earnings to banks, and then used bankruptcy to get out of paying back the loans.

That's a double-dose of loan fraud.

Deutsche Bank is probably reviewing those tax records as we speak, among other banks, as well as prosecutors.

If Trump lied on any of those loan applications, he's fucked. Chances are, he used the same bullshit "my taxes are being audited" excuse to the banks when they requested docs, so he may have only provided them actual cash value of his business assets, without any mention of his debts.

Last edited: