• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

isn't it wild that ff7 is on the front page of the nyt

• yes and omg spoilers

Votes: 65 15.4%
  • yes and idgaf about spoilers

Votes: 107 25.4%
  • no, omg spoilers

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • no, and everyone should know this twist already anyway

Votes: 224 53.1%
  • wtf i'm a zoomer and nyt spoiled ff7 for me.

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
like bruh we really doing this a week or so before the game comes out?

Edit:

ICNdMCt.png

Isn't it kind of wild that our medium has progressed to the point where an article speculating on the plot of a new game can share almost equal space on the front page of the NYT with two horrific conflicts? It was not too long ago in recent memory where games as a medium was still insecure about it's status as art, now we're being compared to cinematic touchstones like Psycho.

It only took almost 30 years but it's interesting to see FF7 getting some recognition in the most mainstream of mainstream, non videogame press, for the attempt at reaching beyond what people thought videogame narratives could be.

One of the most consequential scenes in video game history is being remade by the creators of Final Fantasy VII. Will they kill Aerith again?

Via Zebesian-X

Last edited:

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on dude, that spoiler is like 20 years old. It's a meme at this point, not a spoiler.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The game's old enough to rent a car. Besides, I'd hate to think of how many subversions and swerves in Remake would've flown over the heads of people who weren't familiar with the original.

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a Final Fantasy in my life and I've known this for decades.

It's as much a spoiler as Vader being Luke's father.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If someone made it this far in life without ever hearing about that spoiler, chances are they don't read the New York Times.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
For everyone asking, you know what it is. Because most gamers do, hence why the article was written acting as a retrospective for said event before the imminent Rebirth confronts it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm sorry but if you're expecting to go into Rebirth completely blind to the events that took place in the game from 1997, your expectations for spoiler protection are unreasonably high.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The spoilerphobes on this site are so funny man. Uniquely ERA.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Aerith never died in my playthrough (thanks Gameshark). She won't die on my second playthrough either (thanks PC mod).

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad article tbh, it's a brisk read. Thread can redeem itself with a poll, I'm team she stays got.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a spoiler anymore. Can people stop being so insanely sensitive about stuff like this. At some point you should be able to to freely talk about a story beat like that. 25+ years later, that's fair game.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Typically, everyone's always "it's an x year old" game about spoilers, but it's like remake made people feel like they had to cover it up again. Not sure why, I'd imagine younger younger people might not know, but * shrug *

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's as much a spoiler as Vader being Luke's father.

Darth Vader is Lukes Father?

Next thing you're going to tell me Darth Vader is Luke's father.

This is like spoiling Vader being Luke's father.

Darth Vader is Luke's dad.

Darth Vader is Lukes Dad

This spoiler is genuinely on the level of a "Luke, I am your father" type of story moment.

This spoiler is almost as bad as finding out Vader is Luke's father.

This is the video game version of Darth Vader being Luke's father.

Next you're gonna tell me you're upset about Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father.

Yeah, this is on par with being mad someone spoiled Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Spoilers: Darth Vader is Luke's father

It's like Vader being Luke's father.

I'm 43 and I knew Vader was Luke's father before I saw any of the movies.

You'll never be able to able to escape the Vader twist. "Luke, I am your father" is the most iconic line of the entire franchise.

I already knew that Darth Vader was Luke's father before watching.

2dc5378d-0b27-4ab4-a7f6-8c77c6774e56_text.gif

Last edited:

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I see everyone talking about it being a 20 years old spoiler, so I'd like to remind them that it's getting increasingly close to becoming a 30 years old spoiler.