• yes and omg spoilers

Votes: 65 15.4%
  • yes and idgaf about spoilers

Votes: 107 25.3%
  • no, omg spoilers

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • no, and everyone should know this twist already anyway

Votes: 225 53.2%
  • wtf i'm a zoomer and nyt spoiled ff7 for me.

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is like the 1 gaming thing thats mainstream knowledge for non gamers other than fortnite

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think the very notion of FFVII-R and how it's playing with the notion of remakes makes this not a spoiler. You either played the original (or watched a YT) because you cared what happened the first time - or you didn't.

Otherwise you've had plenty of time.

It's like Vader being Luke's father. Everybody knows and it's not something you have to not talk about
Yeah. FFVII Rebirth itself is assuming the player already knows. How could this be a spoiler?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. FFVII Rebirth itself is assuming the player already knows. How could this be a spoiler?

It's not exactly shoving it in your face.

For example,

when Cloud gets an image of him burying Aerith in the lake, she's conveniently blurred out

It's more of a "if you know, you know".

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Spoiler culture is a relatively new phenomenon that, I believe, is the direct outgrowth of a generation that has been raised on art and media as a thing primarily for consumption, in a capitalistic sense, to the exclusion of all else. There are very few works where a twist in the plotting is so critical to the experience of the piece that knowing that twist in advance fatally compromises the experience. Such art does exist, but the vast majority of works (the one specific work that this thread is about included) do not fall into this category.

Indeed, I think most people throughout history would find the idea of a "spoiler" alienating and short-sighted. Everybody attending the Dionysia in Athens knew that Oedipus was going to learn he'd married his mother at the end of the play - the point was how Sophocles got us to that place. When The Lord Chamberlain's Men staged their new play in 1597, they told you in the opening lines that in the show, "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes/A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;/Whose misadventured piteous overthrows/Do with their death bury their parents' strife" and that this story "Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage." I could keep producing examples probably forever.

It is understandable, of course, when a work is freshly released, to want to go into the experience fresh, as those around you have just done. The experience of a new work in this context is communal - it is as of yet unremarked upon, has no historical weight of commentary, and that initial period of mutual evaluation on a cultural level is an interesting shared experience. However, we cannot lock ourselves into a perpetual state of freshness, because that's simply not the conditions under which creative works are produced, regardless of the motivation behind their production. When a work is decades old, this moment has passed. There will be new works about which we can share these first exposures. These works are in dialogue with those that came before, iterate upon them, comment on them, reform and reformulate them. This is true even when we're not discussing an explicit remake. All writing is rewriting; all design is redesigning. These works go on to inform the culture around us.

You, as an individual, may not know who Luke Skywalker's father is; what a Rosebud might be; the nature of Norman Bates' relationship with his mother; the identity of Tyler Durden; what happens to Dorian Gray, or any other number of common-knowledge classic twists from film, games or literature. This is ultimately immaterial. It is impossible for any specific person to consume every work of art, or even every classic, canonical work, and furthermore most people have no inclination to do so. However, these are all twists that have become ingrained in the culture where they are referenced constantly, as fundamental touchstones and points of reference around which discussions coalesce. They are our guidestones that serve as shorthand so we don't need to explain ourselves. You don't need to sit around all day reading literary journals to see this - allusion and reference occur constantly without ceasing. If you aren't seeing it, it's because you're not familiar with what's being referenced, and you've probably been "spoiled" thousands of times without knowing it. The culture cannot cater to any single person's having not experienced any given work.

It is for this reason that I find the pearl-clutching self-righteousness of the spoiler cops exhausting and misguided. Even moreso when the outrage is deployed in defense of a hypothetical reader/player/viewer who is having their experience ruined, because if these people exist, they comprise such a vanishingly small percentage of the population that it is in no way acceptable to stifle basic discussion of art to accommodate them. I promise you, they will be fine. They have always been fine.

Please note, this does not give people free reign to gleefully and purposely stomp on the enjoyment of others. That's what we call a "dick move." It also means that when the newspaper of record wants to write an article about one of the most famous moments in one of the most influential works in a medium, any medium, they are under no moral obligation to not write about it openly. I urge those who are truly outraged about this article's choices to deeply consider to what end you pursue the experience of art, and whether it goes past facile consumption of the surface-level qualities of the work. The twist is nearly never the point of the project.

No further questions at this time, please.
A++ post. You wrote out very eloquently how I feel about this stuff.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
Also, the Star Wars Vader line maybe isn't as commonly known, or at least openly spouted out these days as some of you claim.

I've talked to slightly younger people who hardly engage with Star Wars at all, and the most common barebones knowledge they have is "Baby Yoda".

And it's not like Disney is advertising Vader's parentage in the front of their stores or streaming services.

"Maybe isn't as commonly known?" lol.

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
Spoiler culture is a relatively new phenomenon that, I believe, is the direct outgrowth of a generation that has been raised on art and media as a thing primarily for consumption, in a capitalistic sense, to the exclusion of all else. There are very few works where a twist in the plotting is so critical to the experience of the piece that knowing that twist in advance fatally compromises the experience. Such art does exist, but the vast majority of works (the one specific work that this thread is about included) do not fall into this category.

Indeed, I think most people throughout history would find the idea of a "spoiler" alienating and short-sighted. Everybody attending the Dionysia in Athens knew that Oedipus was going to learn he'd married his mother at the end of the play - the point was how Sophocles got us to that place. When The Lord Chamberlain's Men staged their new play in 1597, they told you in the opening lines that in the show, "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes/A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;/Whose misadventured piteous overthrows/Do with their death bury their parents' strife" and that this story "Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage." I could keep producing examples probably forever.

It is understandable, of course, when a work is freshly released, to want to go into the experience fresh, as those around you have just done. The experience of a new work in this context is communal - it is as of yet unremarked upon, has no historical weight of commentary, and that initial period of mutual evaluation on a cultural level is an interesting shared experience. However, we cannot lock ourselves into a perpetual state of freshness, because that's simply not the conditions under which creative works are produced, regardless of the motivation behind their production. When a work is decades old, this moment has passed. There will be new works about which we can share these first exposures. These works are in dialogue with those that came before, iterate upon them, comment on them, reform and reformulate them. This is true even when we're not discussing an explicit remake. All writing is rewriting; all design is redesigning. These works go on to inform the culture around us.

You, as an individual, may not know who Luke Skywalker's father is; what a Rosebud might be; the nature of Norman Bates' relationship with his mother; the identity of Tyler Durden; what happens to Dorian Gray, or any other number of common-knowledge classic twists from film, games or literature. This is ultimately immaterial. It is impossible for any specific person to consume every work of art, or even every classic, canonical work, and furthermore most people have no inclination to do so. However, these are all twists that have become ingrained in the culture where they are referenced constantly, as fundamental touchstones and points of reference around which discussions coalesce. They are our guidestones that serve as shorthand so we don't need to explain ourselves. You don't need to sit around all day reading literary journals to see this - allusion and reference occur constantly without ceasing. If you aren't seeing it, it's because you're not familiar with what's being referenced, and you've probably been "spoiled" thousands of times without knowing it. The culture cannot cater to any single person's having not experienced any given work.

It is for this reason that I find the pearl-clutching self-righteousness of the spoiler cops exhausting and misguided. Even moreso when the outrage is deployed in defense of a hypothetical reader/player/viewer who is having their experience ruined, because if these people exist, they comprise such a vanishingly small percentage of the population that it is in no way acceptable to stifle basic discussion of art to accommodate them. I promise you, they will be fine. They have always been fine.

Please note, this does not give people free reign to gleefully and purposely stomp on the enjoyment of others. That's what we call a "dick move." It also means that when the newspaper of record wants to write an article about one of the most famous moments in one of the most influential works in a medium, any medium, they are under no moral obligation to not write about it openly. I urge those who are truly outraged about this article's choices to deeply consider to what end you pursue the experience of art, and whether it goes past facile consumption of the surface-level qualities of the work. The twist is nearly never the point of the project.

Yeah, might as well shut the thread down with this post.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question: are there any OTHER spoilers for OG FF7 in the article besides Aerith?

A friend sent me this article wanting my take on it (she doesn't know anything about Final Fantasy or really games in general but immediately thought of me lol) and as soon as I saw what it was about, I thought, no way, it's gonna spoil FF7 AND Rebirth, so I haven't read it yet. But from what my friend said, it sounds like it probably doesn't spoil rebirth, leaving just OG FF7 spoilers to worry about for me.

(I don't care that the NYT printed the Aerith thing on the front page, it really is like the one video game spoiler everyone knows)

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
So let's say I'm around 12, and I decide my first FF game is the remake of FFIX or FFXVII.

"Hey, this was a lot of fun! I want to learn more of this series, what's everyone's favorite Final Fantasy?"

And then you get ass-blasted by FFVII spoilers left and right.

"Too bad, it's as common as Star Wars spoilers."

"But I haven't even seen Star Wars yet..."

There is very much a "fuck them kids" vibe going on here.
This will happen everywhere with Final Fantasy. Everywhere. You can't hide or be sheltered from literally THE video game spoiler of all spoilers.

It is entirely the same as Star Wars. You'll never be able to able to escape the Vader twist. "Luke, I am your father" is the most iconic line of the entire franchise.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
whatever the age of the media, a spoiler is a spoiler, if someone goes into something blind, that they didnt knew before and was recommended to then, its normal to be annoyed if you're suddenly spoiled on it.

there's lot of things on my list of things to watch, play and read, some were decades ago, and i sure hope someone won't suddenly tell me a spoiler about them.

i wouldn't go crazy on them, or be mad at them, but i would certainly be annoyed, age doesn't determine spoiler validity to me

Dumb question: are there any OTHER spoilers for OG FF7 in the article besides Aerith?

A friend sent me this article wanting my take on it (she doesn't know anything about Final Fantasy or really games in general but immediately thought of me lol) and as soon as I saw what it was about, I thought, no way, it's gonna spoil FF7 AND Rebirth, so I haven't read it yet. But from what my friend said, it sounds like it probably doesn't spoil rebirth, leaving just OG FF7 spoilers to worry about for me.

(I don't care that the NYT printed the Aerith thing on the front page, it really is like the one video game spoiler everyone knows)
No all the other even bigger twists and turns in the game is not mentioned.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler culture at its best. Love it

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Maybe isn't as commonly known?" lol.

"As commonly known nowadays".

There was a period where every TV show, cartoon and commercial was spouting the Vader line.

I don't see it so widely memed around anymore, and again, the big current Star Wars stuff doesn't even have Vader or Luke in it.

So maybe, just maybe, between that and this concept of new people being born in the last two decades, it's not so insane to run into someone who doesn't know the big Star Wars twist, much less FFVII.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

This is a good post. I would like to add that I feel that modern spoiler culture has been fostered by corporations as creating consumers that want to be as uninformed as possible about what they spend money on is very benefitial to them.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
What a fucking annoying ass thread lmao. My distaste of "spoiler culture" grows every year.

I give this post one like.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Brilliant post.

On the 'all creative works are a dialogue with previous works' point, I note that now is exactly the sort of time when I'd expect to see more and more works comment/riff on games from the 90s like FF7, just cause the people who played those games in their formative years are old enough now to make their own games and lead production on them. And that's a good thing, I'm excited to see those creative works.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't a spoiler for Remake/Rebirth though, these games are sequels to the original, not a reimagining. You should know Aerith's fate going in.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
When they're talking exclusively to people who have already read/seen/played it? This isn't hard.
This isn't how the real world operates, and I think you know that. Case in point, the New York Times just posted spoilers for a game that is over a quarter century old on their front page.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Might be a hot take but I don't think Aerith's fate is the main event/plot twist newcomers shouldn't know about. In my opinion it's more related to Cloud and his journey to discover/rediscover himself, that's why I always tell newcomers to NOT play Crisis Core before the OG or Rebirth at least.

Besides, it's painfuly obvious Hamaguchi, Kitase and Nomura fully expect players, including newcomers, to know what's supposed to happen.

Bengraven