• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
FF9 is one of my favourite games ever and the music is such a huge part of why. Getting on Switch seemed like a pipe dream, so I never imagined I'd never not be picking this up on release. But it seems like replaying it on PS1 is the better option.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Square has never had any qualms about releasing half-baked side projects (or full-baked side projects at exorbitant prices, for that matter) because they know their fanbase is loyal and they love exploiting that
They're never going to fix this bug because they don't have to

That's how much they care about you, the loyal fan who's stuck around since the 90's. Not even an iota. Your WALLET, however...

this bug should have been fixed years ago. and could have been fixed years ago with minimal effort and manpower. remember that.
also remember that this isn't even the only FF port that has this stupid fucking bug.

FFVII ports have this stupid fucking bug.
FFX ports had this stupid fucking bug.
And now, every FFIX port has this bug, too.

square don't care.

Last edited:

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Contacted their support and let them know. At this point I'm just writing it off as $21 down the drain, but I genuinely hope they fix this. I've stopped at least 10 people I know personally from buying my favorite RPG ever for the first time and that hurts a lot...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see the point of any version of Final Fantasy IX that isnt the PC version now.

You can fix the framerate, you can improve the backgrounds, you can iron out all the other lingering bugs and issues.
All the other ports just pale in comparison.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I can't see the point of any version of Final Fantasy IX that isnt the PC version now.

You can fix the framerate, you can improve the backgrounds, you can iron out all the other lingering bugs and issues.
You're absolutely right, but I would be fine with an ok port with a couple of niggling issues if it meant I could play it on the go. Guess I'll stick to my PSP version for now :/

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I checked this before blindly picking this up. I'll stick with IX on my Vita for now.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
They should have higher standards then. Pulling this shit twice ine a row is unacceptable.

Except when it comes to the pricing lol.

We live in a hypercapitalistic society. Profit is more important than reputation. If that's a problem in your mind, vote with your wallet and your ballot, because nothing else will have any effect.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This standard of low quality isn't new. Anybody here buy that FFVII pc port back in 2012 which had cloud saving? It would regularly fail to sync and corrupt all your locally saved game saves. You had to d/c your WiFi to be safe from this shit "feature".

It eventually got fixed. Eventually.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We live in a hypercapitalistic society. Profit is more important than reputation. If that's a problem in your mind, vote with your wallet and your ballot, because nothing else will have any effect.
Sure, I'm not getting this, despite the Switch being my main console and FF IX being one of my favourite games ever.
What also helps is voicing criticism though, in case of Chrono Trigger it helped to actually get them to fix shit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Its not.

Strange that this bug exists on FFIX and FFVII on PS4 when FFX had it too but they patched that, why not the others?
The PS4 FFX port had the issue of the random seed affecting random battle encounters not generating properly. It was a gameplay issue that required fixing, which is different from the music just restarting after every battle.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Too bad the PC version crashes randomly for me.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While Im not gonna deny that, Im also still pretty grateful they're one of few companies REALLY good at keeping their retro catalogue alive.... ya just cant have it all i guess. :(

Parts of it sure... they'll probably rerelease FFVII and later Final Fantasy mainlines whenever they can, but it'd also be nice to have a modern way to play stuff like Front Mission, Chrono Trigger or FF spin-off titles like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core or Chocobo Racing.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I don't think I would have noticed this until I saw this thread. Now I will act like I never saw this and still enjoy this classic on my switch.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care, I'm buying this as soon as I finish Kingdom Hearts. I'll just stand still between battles if I want to listen to the music.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 port of FFX also had this same music bug.
I realize that. But they likely fixed it because they had a more pressing gameplay but that also required fixing. I don't want to excuse Square Enix for not fixing similar music bugs in other ports, but there's context in why they fixed it specifically in FFX PS4.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Really disappointing. I've been looking forward to the Final Fantasy Switch ports since I haven't played really any of the 3D ones. Heard this is one of the best and was planning on buying day 1. I guess I could just get it on Steam but honestly half the appeal was being able to curl up on my couch or bed in handheld mode and get comfy while my partner watches TV/etc. That's what actually gives me a chance to finish lengthy games these days.

Oh well. Guess I won't be playing this series any time soon

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I played both with the music bug on the ps4 and it gets REALLY annoying to the point I simply put the game on fast 9999 mode to grind and then went with no encounters to the dungeon so the music didn't loop.
I finished these games so many times before that it didn't matter to me.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I played both with the music bug on the ps4 and it gets REALLY annoying to the point I simply put the game on fast 9999 mode to grind and then went with no encounters to the dungeon so the music didn't loop.
I finished these games so many times before that it didn't matter to me.
Yup. I can't even imagine how irritating this must get towards the middle-end of the game when you get battles every couple of steps. Come the hell on Square.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
For those unaware, SE released IX for modern systems with a number of improvements, such as reworked models, textures, HD fmvs, etc.

However, there is a bug in the game that resets the background music every time you go into a random battle. What does this mean? Most players won't be able to appreciate the game's music the way it was meant to be. New players will likely listen to the first 15-20 seconds of the overworld theme before they get into a battle and it restarts again.

And I don't understand why it has to be this way.

This bug was also present in the X Remaster, but fortunately got a patch to fix it. When VII was released for the PS4... the same bug was present, again. This time, some FMVs were even affected, where the background music kept playing when it shouldn't.

What's up with SE and its ports? They had the chance to fix this in the time it took them to release the Xbone/switch versions for IX... but didn't. To make things even worse, for some reason, there is no analog movement in IX. You can only move in 8 directions, even though the original PS1 release supported analog movement. I don't get it. What's baffling most of all is that last year, they released an awful Chrono Trigger port for steam, but then they did their best to fix it as much as they could.

These new IX ports give me little hope that VII for the switch/xbone will be any different than the bugged PS4 version. Why can't SE put some more care when it comes to their legacy titles?

Man, I never played FFIX for whatever reason.
I think I was too edgy and "mature" for "kiddie graffix" or something.

This music is FANTASTIC. I should play it.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
ugh come on Square. Worst part is that I already bought it since I love FF9 so much. I can stomach the analog thing, but the music bug is some bullshit. Definitely not buying any future FF ports if this is going to be a common occurrence. And seeing as they didn't even fix the PS4 version, I highly doubt Square is going to do anything.

Dec 15, 2017
Germany
For me this is not a minor issue at all, given how important the music is for a Final Fantasy game. I stopped playing the ps4 version as soon as I reached the world map. Makes me sad that they keep releasing some of their best games ever in this way.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
It's like going to see a Symphony Orchestra and they start over everyone someone in the audience coughs.

Have some self respect for your legacy SE.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I never played FFIX for whatever reason.
I think I was too edgy and "mature" for "kiddie graffix" or something.

This music is FANTASTIC. I should play it.

It's one of my favourite games in the series. Its beats hit especially strong if you have played previous titles in the series, it is very much a culmination of FF at that point.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
It may seem to be a lost cause already, but I think we should try to be the most vocal we can about that. There should still be a chance for S-E to patch this if enough people complain about it.
I was really tempted to get it and play through it again on Switch but currently that's a deal breaker.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may seem to be a lost cause already, but I think we should try to be the most vocal we can about that. There should still be a chance for S-E to patch this if enough people complain about it.
I was really tempted to get it and play through it again on Switch but currently that's a deal breaker.
These two issues don't bother me in the slightest, but I'd still support a cause to get them fixed, or at least the music bug. Music is important to FF.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
What's up with SE and its ports? They had the chance to fix this in the time it took them to release the Xbone/switch versions for IX... but didn't. To make things even worse, for some reason, there is no analog movement in IX. You can only move in 8 directions, even though the original PS1 release supported analog movement. I don't get it. What's baffling most of all is that last year, they released an awful Chrono Trigger port for steam, but then they did their best to fix it as much as they could.

I played through that recently. The music bug is in that version of CT also, but it didn't really bother me for some reason.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
That's a deal breaker for me. Now that OP pointed it out I would notice it every time a battle occurred.

I was going to pick it up for Switch but I don't think so anymore. Sucks too because FF9 is one of my favorite games of all time.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yea it's a complete no go and needs more attention.

I encourage everybody to not buy the games.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Uh, I totally have not noticed this across the iOS ports. I'm guessing, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't actually a big deal?

Oct 29, 2017
It's frustrating that so many of the easily accessible versions of the classic Final Fantasy games are somewhat subpar. It's been this way for so long now though it's hard to feel like they'll ever take notice and do something about it