• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what they're working on next. I like the idea of a Cold War/Vietnam BF.

BF1 multiplayer was sublime, best Battlefield in awhile IMO.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Aw yeah, time to start preemptively hyping myself up for BF1944 so I can be disappointed by a return to a modern/20-minutes-into-the-future setting.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
WW2 here we come.

My main problem with WW2 as a setting is that in Battlefield 1 we have WW1 only in theory. Flow of the combat is like from WW2 shooter. So I'm worried it will be too similar - kinda like BF4 was to BF3.

That's why I hope it will be Bad Company set in WW2. At least we could get better single player with a little bit of humour, and not another grim story which we are getting with CoD this year.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It might be too early for Hardline 2, but I really hope they will one day do it. It wasn't perfect, but I had a lot of fun with it and most of all, it was beaming with potential. A new Hardline, that had enough development time to further distance itself from other entries would be great.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
No WW2 please. We need a BF2142 sequel.

Yes! Future stuff done right with large scale battles!

BF1 multiplayer was sublime, best Battlefield in awhile IMO.

I'll have to disagree with you there - BF1 felt like a step back over BF4 to me. It was missing a bit of randomness that small vehicles like the 4 wheelers and jeeps brought to the table in BF4. I miss my large scale battles with tons of different vehicle options (land, air and sea!)

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully its Battlefield 1944. No crazy gadgets, very little or no attachments, a focus on semi-auto rifles, awesome vehicles, iconic locations. Maybe cut out progression all together and give everyone everything from the start like the best Frostbite Battlefield game, Battlefield 1943.
that would be amazing! please do it dice

Bleedorang3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want another modern Battlefield again this time around. WW1 got boring FAST and that's speaking as a long term fan of the franchise.

BF 1946 or 1994.

I can't stand how restricting WW1 has been, especially coming off BF4 where we had a million guns and each had like 40 attachment options lmao.

WW2 if they want to repeat their mistake and have a very restricted arsenal.

Modern or 80-90s if they want to have a varied arsenal, growing franchise and positive image connected to the Battlefield name.

After BF 1, I don't feel they are capable of making a fun Battlefield that is not set in Modern times. Hopefully we can get a remastered BF1943

Next one has to be modern/near-future/far-future so they can have an engaging Battle Royale mode. I mean I guess you could have it set in WWII but I don't think many people would connect with the weapons as well as the modern/near-modern ones seen in PUBG.

Also yes, bring back the deep customization of classes and weapons. The removal of that made Battlefield 1 so much less fun to play.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The main cast of Bad Company were all in Mirror's Edge Catalyst. And Haggard was in BF1.
Them still having a relationship with EA/DICE could mean something.

This won't be Bad Company 3, but one can dream.

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully its not by DICE and by some other EA affiliate,bf3/bf4/bf1 are all the pretty mich same and they are crappy at that.They havent put out a a decent fps since bc2.

A BC3 by current dice would be 99% a massive dissapointment

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars Battlefront's Endor map makes me want to see a Frostbite rendered Vietnam Battlefield.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
Hardline felt more like it shouldve been DLC for Battlefield 4 in my opinion. Or maybe a new game on it's own. It was a fun game, just not really 'Battlefield'. I always like the big LMG's and while theyre in BF1, the ones from BF3 and 4 were more in my alley. I always loved Vietnam tho so maybe a Vietnam 2 would be cool

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Battle... game will come every year, no doubt. And I don't think it'll be the WW game again, shouldn't be. DICE needs Battlefield 5.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
A Battle... game will come every year, no doubt. And I don't think it'll be the WW game again, shouldn't be. DICE needs Battlefield 5.
Honestly i don't think they'll stick with WW2 in the next Battlefield either. Would be to samey to Battlefield 1. If they are smart they should save WW2 setting for the next generation of consoles to guarantee a big leap in technical quality. Wouldn't be a wise choice to throw out a WW2 BF so soon after BF1. The latter wowed us due the great graphics and setting. Wait for a significant technical leap DICE and wow us with a next gen WW2 Battlefield.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I liked the WW1 setting for BF1, a nice change of pace from the modern shooter setting they had been using since BF2. I want them to explore more settings like this, preferably unique.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i don't think they'll stick with WW2 in the next Battlefield either. Would be to samey to Battlefield 1. If they are smart they should save WW2 setting for the next generation of consoles to guarantee a big leap in technical quality. Wouldn't be a wise choice to throw out a WW2 BF so soon after BF1. The latter wowed us due the great graphics and setting. Wait for a significant technical leap DICE and wow us with a next gen WW2 Battlefield.

Yup I bet Battlefield 2018 will be modern (or near-future) and Battlefield 2020 will be WW2 probably the first Battlefield on next gen.

Supreme Leader Galahad

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
All i can say is that after a strange start, my heart warmed to BF1 and with its Expansions i feel like its one of the best FPSs ive played while feeling diferent from WW2 FPSs. Actually i think the next BF should come in Fall 2019, BF1 still has a lot of life. Hopefully they keep their current post lauch model instead of going the free maps way.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Next one has to be modern/near-future/far-future so they can have an engaging Battle Royale mode. I mean I guess you could have it set in WWII but I don't think many people would connect with the weapons as well as the modern/near-modern ones seen in PUBG.

Also yes, bring back the deep customization of classes and weapons. The removal of that made Battlefield 1 so much less fun to play.
Yep, I have a team of friends who I've played with for years and we all agree that whilst WW1 was interesting, it was too limited in what makes actually makes Battlefield the game it used to be.

Mikey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sequel will be called Battlefield 2 and it'll be set in modern times...DICE really didn't think this through.

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for WW2 with better maps and system akin to BF4 or a modern day game. BF1 just didn't hold my attention like 4 did.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Please go back to modern times, thanks. I sunk so many hours into BF3/4/Hardline. Quit playing BF1 after about a week, meh.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Im predicting WW2 with an arsenal inspired by their Secret Weapons of WW2 expansion pack for BF1942.

BF1 felt like it was testing the waters for WW2, so I'll be shocked if it is anything else.

Edit: they could revisit Vietnam again. I adored that one, it was a lot of fun, even if it had the most OP class ever in an FPS (M60/M79)

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Modern, near-future, and scifi future are all so played out. World War II would be fresh.

I could live with WW2 for Battlefield, because COD will never scratch the same itch. But it would have to be Late 1945 - 1946 to allow for the most variety in weapons, and Vehicles. I'd love to drive an M26 Pershing but these things were rare until very very late in the war.

But the Brit's and their Crusader tank... I'll take that too.

Lorian1986

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they go bigger again in the maps and vehicle loadout, half the BF1 maps are glorified CoD Run'n'Gun maps with 2 Tank/Plane slots for each side for the battlefield flavor, give me a Golmud Railway with 6-8 Tanks each side please.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Will this be an actual Battlefield? Or a side story Battlefield like Bad Company or Hardline. I feel like 2018 is too soon for Battlefield 6.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I can't see them doing Battlefield 2143, they're already doing Star Wars Battlefront games and EA has Titanfall as well, not to mention Anthem on the way. Way too many sci-fi games there.

I'd imagine it'll be one of these:
  • Battlefield 1944
  • Battlefield Vietnam
  • Battlefield Bad Company 3
1944 seems like a natural progression from BF1, although the fact that their competitor just put out a WW2 game might have deterred them.

Vietnam is an interesting setting, although it does restrict them a bit in terms of map diversity.

If they want to do a modern game, BC3 might offer a way to do that while still helping it feel fresh. A Vietnam DLC expansion would also work with BC3 (as it did for BC2). They might go down the BF1 route and just call it "Battlefield: Bad Company." Calling it Bad Company means they can take a few liberties in terms of making the game fun (as opposed to realistic), something a modern day shooter needs IMHO. BC2 is so fondly remembered because they took the right liberties in that game: it was less documentary, and more Hollywood.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully its Battlefield 1944. No crazy gadgets, very little or no attachments, a focus on semi-auto rifles, awesome vehicles, iconic locations. Maybe cut out progression all together and give everyone everything from the start like the best Frostbite Battlefield game, Battlefield 1943.
Not this. Needs to be Cold War or modern era with helicopters/Jets/LMVs etc. and have an interesting weapon variety that is just missing from BF1.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder how long they will keep this up. Releasing Battlefield games this often. It seems like, to me, that Battlefield didn't grow because of iterations but because of longevity.

If it was me, I'd just update Battlefield 4. New 5 hours campaign. New maps. Boom done.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long they will keep this up. Releasing Battlefield games this often. It seems like, to me, that Battlefield didn't grow because of iterations but because of longevity.

If it was me, I'd just update Battlefield 4. New 5 hours campaign. New maps. Boom done.

Battlefield definitely grew because of iterations. By the time people were growing tired of 1942 we received Battlefield Vietnam then almost immediately they released Battlefield 2. Back to back to back hits that was growing it's fanbase.

Argonne Forest map made me excited to see what they could pull off with a Vietnam 2.