• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
What is the origin of the Kale / Breckin joke? I've seen it a lot of times around here and the old place but never really got it.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
It was a big thread on the old site where some dude asked for help naming his baby cause his wife wanted to name it terrible names and he wanted advice on better names and how to convince her to compromise. It was a very funny thread you can still google it very easily, but in the end his wife never compromised and the baby ended up with an even more terrible name than was suggested at the beginning of the thread he posted a birth certificate verifying his son was named "Kale Brecken [last name was censored]".

Man that kid's probably around 3 years old now...

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Pest-era, we caught this little fucker in our London studio kitchen today. As far as we know there shouldn't be mini roaches in London, so we have no idea what this is, and whether to call pest control. Anyone recognise this?

045bace6-b16a-4ec1-a5ksrh.jpeg

48fbedcb-011f-459c-8wrsid.jpeg

I think that it's some kind of earwig

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig

OP
OP

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is the point of regulation D for bank accounts?

Can't do more than 6 phone/electronic transactions out of a savings account per cycle?

The fuck?

Limited Transactions –No more than 6 per month from any savings or money market account

• Online banking transfers
  • Automatic transfers to another account at UFCU
  • Automatic transfers to a third party
  • ACH withdrawals
  • Phone transfers
Unlimited Transactions

• Deposits
  • Withdrawals or transfers made at an ATM
  • Withdrawals or transfers made in person

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a website or app or whatever where you can type in the name of a movie or show and it tells you what services have it on their subs or for digital rental?

If not, what's the closest thing?

Feb 22, 2018
I really hope someone can help me...I need to find a hotel in New York City for 1-2 days. I'm not a clean freak, but I do need something that isn't completely disgusting. I'm just going there for a concert, but since I'm driving there and back, I need at least one night to sleep before doing another 13 hour drive. Does anyone have any recommendations?? I need clean, but budget priced please! There are just too many to sort through on those travel sites.

Edit: Something that offers parking would also be very helpful!

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope someone can help me...I need to find a hotel in New York City for 1-2 days. I'm not a clean freak, but I do need something that isn't completely disgusting. I'm just going there for a concert, but since I'm driving there and back, I need at least one night to sleep before doing another 13 hour drive. Does anyone have any recommendations?? I need clean, but budget priced please! There are just too many to sort through on those travel sites.

Edit: Something that offers parking would also be very helpful!
You do really need to specify a budget. It's much cheaper to stay in Jersey and take transit into the city though.

Feb 22, 2018
I'm like to not spend more than $100 a day...staying in hotels in America sucks compared to Tokyo, I was able to get a nice place in Tokyo for around $60 a night.

Edit: Should I be looking to get a hotel closer to the date? I notice if I was to get one like right now, it seems considerably cheaper than if I want to advance purchase for June.

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I have a question regarding the 'Watched Threads' feature for ResetEra. I'm wondering if it's possible to receive alerts for some threads (but not others)?. Specifically I'm referring to:

"Receive an alert when someone...
  • Replies to a watched thread"
within my account Alert Preferences.

I'd like to put a few megathreads within my Watched Threads area for easy access, but not receive a notification when someone replies to the thread. I have a couple of other threads which I keep track of, but are posted in less often, and I'd like to be notified when somebody posts in it.

From what I can tell it's an 'either/or' situation. I can have watched threads and be notified for all of them, or I can have watched threads and not be notified at all. Am I missing something?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question regarding the 'Watched Threads' feature for ResetEra. I'm wondering if it's possible to receive alerts for some threads (but not others)?. Specifically I'm referring to:

"Receive an alert when someone...
  • Replies to a watched thread"
within my account Alert Preferences.

I'd like to put a few megathreads within my Watched Threads area for easy access, but not receive a notification when someone replies to the thread. I have a couple of other threads which I keep track of, but are posted in less often, and I'd like to be notified when somebody posts in it.

From what I can tell it's an 'either/or' situation. I can have watched threads and be notified for all of them, or I can have watched threads and not be notified at all. Am I missing something?

I think you can be notified for specific threads.
Though I'd ask why you'd want to be alerted when threads get new posts. You can see that by just refreshing your watched threads.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone in the video editing business have any suggestions for a good laptop?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought a new Brother wireless AIO printer, and it works great as far as the printing and single page scanning goes, but I've got one problem. I use a free program called NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2) to scan old documents to PDFs. I had been using the regular scanner on my old, crappy inkjet printer that this one is replacing, and though scanning a single page at a time was inconvenient, it worked. I've been trying to use the feeder on the new printer to just batch scan, but it always fails to scan anything more than the first page. A little progress bar comes up claiming to be scanning page 2, but this is after all the pages have been rushed through the feeder, and then a notice comes up that says, "The selected scanner is busy." I looked on the NAPS2 page and they said they had added an option to add a delay between scans, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Has anyone ever had a similar situation and fixed it?

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I think you can be notified for specific threads.
Though I'd ask why you'd want to be alerted when threads get new posts. You can see that by just refreshing your watched threads.
I can see an option to enable email notifications for individual threads, but not alerts.

In regards to why I prefer alerts for certain threads, it's because they may get posted in irregularly and I don't open the Watched Threads page very often. I guess the solution would just be to turn off notifications for replies and check Watched Threads more regularly, but I was interested to see if I was missing an option first.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If I'm in a one story house, is there any benefit regarding range or signal strength to having my wifi router up high rather than sitting on the floor?
Yes.

Loss is not just about distance, but about impediment.

There is way more shit on your floor or at ground level, including your floor itself, to get in the way than there is at 6 feet off the floor.

Unless you're living in some super minimalist place, or have ceiling furniture, having your wifi router higher is better.

Look up "WiFi Propagation Modelling" if you want to fall down a rabbit hole on the subject.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
In suburb-like environments where there's nothing else around, where can wild skunks live? Sometimes at night you'll see them in my neighborhood and I'm wondering if they just dig a tunnel in someone's backyard to sleep or what?

Weird question, I know.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Loss is not just about distance, but about impediment.

There is way more shit on your floor or at ground level, including your floor itself, to get in the way than there is at 6 feet off the floor.

Unless you're living in some super minimalist place, or have ceiling furniture, having your wifi router higher is better.

Look up "WiFi Propagation Modelling" if you want to fall down a rabbit hole on the subject.

Thanks for the info.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In suburb-like environments where there's nothing else around, where can wild skunks live? Sometimes at night you'll see them in my neighborhood and I'm wondering if they just dig a tunnel in someone's backyard to sleep or what?

Weird question, I know.
Dens are made in tree hollows, hollowed out logs, brush piles, abandoned animal burrows, and underneath porches and other structures. They will also make their own if no others are available.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Dens are made in tree hollows, hollowed out logs, brush piles, abandoned animal burrows, and underneath porches and other structures. They will also make their own if no others are available.

Thanks for the answer. Also, searching google images for Skunk Dens showed me some cute family pictures. :3

BabySkunks.jpg

9762111_orig.jpg

Don't know the context of this pic but it's cute af:
img_0495-2856.jpg

Skunks are right up there with ducks and cats for cutest families.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Another question regarding my new printer. I'm connected via WiFi from my PC, but haven't been able to figure out how to print from my mobile devices. I was trying first on my Android phone. I added the printer to Google cloud printing, and also added the Brother Print Service thing. However, when I tried to print some coupons from Coupons.com, despite the site saying it had printed, nothing happened. I haven't gotten around to trying to print anything else though.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
Quick question about Plastation Plus+....

I just recently bought a PS4 Pro and was wondering if I can access the free Playstation Plus+ games with the "14 day trial" membership, or are the games only included with paid subscriptions?

I ask, because on Xbox the free games aren't available with trial subscriptions. My console just arrived today and I don't want to wait 2 weeks to acess/play the games.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question about Plastation Plus+....

I just recently bought a PS4 Pro and was wondering if I can access the free Playstation Plus+ games with the "14 day trial" membership, or are the games only included with paid subscriptions?

I ask, because on Xbox the free games aren't available with trial subscriptions. My console just arrived today and I don't want to wait 2 weeks to acess/play the games.

I've never used 14 day ps plus but I would assume you could play the games and then at the end of the trial you lose access.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Little brother was asking me about a scene/moment in a TV show or movie that had Bryan Cranston saying "it's showtime!", anyone know what it could be from? I have some vague memories of it but got a feeling it could be a different (similar) actor. Possibly animated?

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to make sense of all my hard drives content and a really stupid question springs to mind: can you write on a hard drive label ? Won't the drive heating up mess the ink ? Or another way, can you put a sticker on your hard drives ? Same thing, will the heat mess something up ?

And while google-fuing my way out of these questions I just stumbled into an old link: https://consumerist.com/2010/09/08/write-on-your-hard-drive-kill-the-warranty/
Bullshit ?

I really badly need to organize my digital life. First step will be to organize and second step will be to check if the backups are in place.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation NKR means as used in parenting forums? My Google-fu is failing me.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that came in my head for some reason is "No Kid Relationship" but I doubt that since it was used in a parenting forum and not some dating thing

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm seeing that makes even a lick of sense is "no key required." Does that make sense in the context you're seeing it used?
The thing that came in my head for some reason is "No Kid Relationship" but I doubt that since it was used in a parenting forum and not some dating thing
Maybe having a "no kids" room?

Thanks for the guesses. This was a question that my wife asked me. The only instance I saw myself was the OP of a thread asking for opinions on flooring tile for a kitchen. After reading your guesses, it struck me that it could mean that their post is "not kid related."

Thanks again!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the guesses. This was a question that my wife asked me. The only instance I saw myself was the OP of a thread asking for opinions on flooring tile for a kitchen. After reading your guesses, it struck me that it could mean that their post is "not kid related."

Thanks again!
...Yeah that's probably what it means lol

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why alert notifications here in the forum don't work reliably anymore? I used to get them just fine when someone would quote a post of mine. Now I only see the alerts like 1/4 of the time

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why isn't this pinned to the front page as many of the new threads on here are just embarrassing?

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two months ago I bought a General Electric microwave. It stopped working after two weeks. My brand new replacement unit has started smelling like burning rubber when I use it. Somehow one of the legs underneath it has sunken in and it has a dent in the top of the unit.

I'm not using it incorrectly. Is something wrong with my outlet or does General Electric just suck at making reliable appliances?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how to add folders for OneDrive to sync with in W10
You only have one OneDrive folder .To sync you need to create a folder in that folder.

You can't add abirtrary folders and have them sync .

I remember there used to be a trick with using symlinks. But I don't think it works anymore .

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
hitme : I am in denial so I don't do anything about my receding hairline, but I guess the standard answer would be rogain/regain, tar-based shampoo (or that pink one for dandruff...Nizoral?), and maybe some beer yeast supplements.

Anyway, i have a question that has been REALLY bothering me for a while. I need to know the answer. Why does Netflix, for *so many* movies, replace the official cover/poster by something that obviously looks 'homemade' and incredibly cheap? Surely it can't be because they only acquired the rights for the movie but not the poster?

I am in the UK right now, but for instance the posters for : the revenant, apocalypto, watchmen, les miserables, and many others, look like straight to dvd trash. Even saying that is pretty generous imo. - hell even their own movie 'Mute' has an incredibly ugly poster. Why?!?

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
I have a PS4 I upgraded with a 2 TB drive. Bought a Pro and want to put the 2 TB drive into that. What's the best way to go about transferring my data to the new system? Know the drive will get reformatted when I put it into the new system. Do I need to get an external drive to put the data onto first (rather not buy one), or is there another way? And at what point do I deactivate my current system?

Can anyone clarify the whole Xbox Live Gold account / game sharing for me? Currently I have an Xbox One that has a Live Gold account. My son also has his own Xbox One and uses my Gold log in to play games online with his friends. Never overly been an issue, but recently one of my friends got an Xbox One X and I'd like to game online with him. If I create another profile on my system, is it possible for both my son and I to game online at the same time using my Gold account? Also, I know my son has downloaded some of my digital games to his system, but is it possible to share my games with my friend as well?

Thanks in advance!

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does Netflix, for *so many* movies, replace the official cover/poster by something that obviously looks 'homemade' and incredibly cheap?

The custom covers get more clicks. Netflix actually creates multiple covers that target different viewers by demographic/preferences and you'll see the one that their algorithms predict you'll be most likely to select.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The custom covers get more clicks. Netflix actually creates multiple covers that target different viewers by demographic/preferences and you'll see the one that their algorithms predict you'll be most likely to select.
I'm deeply offended Netflix would think I would click on those. They look like trash! I wish I could post then but really I wonder if they are not just standing out because of the horrible design