• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Nazi's use it to obfuscate their intentions. A normal person using it just makes it more easy for them to hide in plan sight. It becomes one of many symbols that allow them to connect without being obvious to another person.

Meanwhile, when a normal person uses it, others have to decipher if that person means ok or if it is a signal of bad intent.

As the clarity of the symbol becomes harder to decern, normal people will use it less and less because they don't want to be bothered with dealing with that kind of ambiguity.
Other normal people have no such problems "deciphering" the intent.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, if not for this forum, I wouldn't know it was a hate symbol.

Lots of people still use it innocently, which is what makes more sinister in some respects. You don't know if the other person is using it as simple OK or if they harbour fucked up views.

Not to mention that allows for a lot of built in plausible deniability.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Because symbols become tainted. How many Chaplin mustaches do you see?
Isn't the Chaplin mustache a parody of the Hitler mustache? I am confused.

Anyway I was just thinking how did this even become a thing. Then I remembered there is that "ok"-emoji and 4chan ran wild with and then it became a racist thing. Fucking 4chan.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
It looks to me that the upside down 'OK' is what's being used by racists. Additionally, racists hold the 'OK' sign for an extended time. If you're signaling that everything is 'OK', it's a short motion.

Last edited:

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Other normal people have no such problems "deciphering" the intent.
Sure they do.

Someone who knows the other meaning now has to determine which intent is being used, and the intent that is chosen likely depends on the viewer's trust of the person or society at large.

Someone marginalized could decide it is safer to view it as a sign of ill intent. On the other hand, someone relatively unaffected by the negative connotation (and there by not often thinking on it) could easily make the assumption that the person means the nutral/positive meaning.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
As basketball fan this gonna specially hard to give up. I'm gonna fine with that but most of basketball star is PoC so if theyre fine with it I gonna follow their example.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My son still does this. I was surprised kids were still doing it. He has know idea about racists symbols

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure they do.

Someone who knows the other meaning now has to determine which intent is being used, and the intent that is chosen likely depends on the viewer's trust of the person or society at large.

Someone marginalized could decide it is safer to view it as a sign of ill intent. On the other hand, someone relatively unaffected by the negative connotation (and there by not often thinking on it) could easily make the assumption that the person means the nutral/positive meaning.
You're making a lot of assumptions about the thought processea of other people based on your own thoughts processes when seeing a commonly used hand gesture in everyday life devoid of context to suggest ill intent.

Simply put, what percentage of Americans do you think have the trouble discerning intent that you suggest? 1%? 0.1%? Or are even aware of this discussion in the first place? 5%? Maybe 10%?

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
You're making a lot of assumptions about the thought processea of other people based on your own thoughts processes when seeing a commonly used hand gesture in everyday life devoid of context to suggest ill intent.

Simply put, what percentage of Americans do you think have the trouble discerning intent that you suggest? 1%? 0.1%? Or are even aware of this discussion in the first place? 5%? Maybe 10%?
Which is why it is able to survive as a symbol of ill-intent. If it was as obvious as the nazi-salute, it would not be as effective.

But to counter, you are placing a lot of trust on the people around you, which let me be clear, is a good thing. You seem to be assuming that most people are good, and kind, and generally well-meaning.

However, it is not the experience everyone is going to have had with society. As a result, it is not the assumption everyone is going to make, and that difference allows those with ill-intent to drive a tiny wedge between those impacted by that hatred and those who more easily see that positive interpretation.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depending on the context, it can also mean asshole in sign language.

Either they're trying to be clever or just being stupid. Probably the latter.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is why it is able to survive as a symbol of ill-intent. If it was as obvious as the nazi-salute, it would not be as effective.

But to counter, you are placing a lot of trust on the people around you, which let me be clear, is a good thing. You seem to be assuming that most people are good, and kind, and generally well-meaning.

However, it is not the experience everyone is going to have had with society. As a result, it is not the assumption everyone is going to make, and that difference allows those with ill-intent to drive a tiny wedge between those impacted by that hatred and those who more easily see that positive interpretation.
Your patronizing little lecture above shows you're still missing the point.

The vast majority of people don't know this a thing. Of those that do, I'd wager good money the vast majority of that tiny subset of the population don't think twice about seeing someone flash 👌to their waiter when the waiter walks by the table. "Was he signaling a belief that white genocide is a problem or was he signaling everything is ok with his meal? well, I've had encounters with bad people, so I assume the former".

You're in the heart of a dark forest, focused on one specific rotting diseased tree found at the center, assuming most of the population has followed you in this far. Most of the population kinda knows the forest exists and that's about it. Few visit, fewer venture in, and fewer still get to where you've gotten.

Oct 31, 2017
In context, it was a common but antiquated hand gesture before this. Like, most people shoot a thumbs up in real life and mostly Pixar characters or other mass media characters would still use it as an "ok" symbol.

In the past decade, it's something people threw up more in basketball ball for a three point shot than as an "ok" symbol

So I have no problem continuing to not use a symbol that few people in actual life has used since I was a kid.

To see someone using it now would be weird, even without the way trump people use it but especially now when half of whites are playing dumb about racism but actually rooting it on

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Your patronizing little lecture above shows you're still missing the point.

The vast majority of people don't know this a thing. Of those that do, I'd wager good money the vast majority of that tiny subset of the population don't think twice about seeing someone flash 👌to their waiter when the waiter walks by the table. "Was he signaling a belief that white genocide is a problem or was he signaling everything is ok with his meal? well, I've had encounters with bad people, so I assume the former".

You're in the heart of a dark forest, focused on one specific rotting diseased tree found at the center, assuming most of the population has followed you in this far. Most of the population kinda knows the forest exists and that's about it. Few visit, fewer venture in, and fewer still get to where you've gotten.
You are not wrong about how deep in I am. I know that I am deep in the forest. I also know that I am not as deep as I could be; nor do I understand everything I see.

However, you interpreted my comments with more hostility than I intended. I do not think you are dumb or even wrong. It is so much more likely that the meaning intended by the guy on the corner flashing the ok symbol is just saying hello rather than saying White Power. As a result, it is more logical to assume the symbol just means ok. That's what it means 99% of the time, right?

Because of that, the 1% that uses it to spread a different message are able to move easily. Because the ok symbol is a just ok; milk is just milk; etc.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's fine.

Context is everything. Just because cultural things get co-opted by scumlords doesn't mean they get to define its past, present and future.
Yep. If you're using it when you're fixing a car, it's fine. If someone uses it while they're marching with white supremacists, or while they're preaching bigoted talking points or in a photo after slaughtering several minorities, there's likely a problem. The OK symbol is not the swastika yet.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's still fine.

Maybe, maybe having the symbol down by your waist (aka "made you look" game) should be used less and less. Though to be honest that would likely be used less and less anyhow due to the nature of dumb games going away over time.

But overhand "a-ok" is still perfectly fine. As is throwing it to signal a three pointer in basketball. We gotta stop letting Nazi shitfucks take away perfectly fine symbols just because they use them in a different context.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I wouldn't use it, but it's fairly obvious when it's used in a white supremacist way. Nobody is going to bat an eye when a kid uses it to be cheerful to friends.

But if your kid starts doing it towards minority kids, then you have a problem. Just teach them to be decent and it's okay.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
All about context. As I understand it, upside down it can mean 'white power'. The 3 fingers form a W and the O shape forms a P ... WP = White Power.

Fucking ridiculous I know. But there you go.

Oct 29, 2017
The one used by the White supremacists always look like they are hidding it, not overt the enough to convey that is is intentional, so ultimately a poor way to transfer information.

Got nothing on a true "ok" sing with the fingers pointing upwards. I wouldn't confuse the two.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see Larry David doing something with this.
Like, he mistakes a cancer patient with a shaved head flashing "ok" as a White Supremecist

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
The smallest of the small minority of internet users are even remotely caring about this. If someone comes up to me and gives me an okay sign, I'll go ahead and continue to not assume they are 4chan white supremacists giving me codes. Occam's razor on this one.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I've been doing this all my life to mean "ok" or "just right" (as in, that worked out just right). I did it just the other day for only that reason.

It sucks if this gets co-opted to something hateful. I can adjust, simply stop using it. It's not that difficult. But it's a shitty petty intrusion on normality by these shitty petty people.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not going to assume nefarious intent if I see someone using it... but I don't use it myself.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, the ok sign is naturally done super quick. Something you quick flash for a couple seconds to show that everything's fine.

I wouldn't call it natural to hold it out for a long time, to pull it out randomly, to hold it below the waist, or, most importantly, to deliberately pose with it for a picture. Doing that raises flags for me.

(Also I see a lot of people comparing it to the three-point sign for basketball but it's actually noticeably different. That sign is usually flashed with both hands and is pointed forward to emphasize the three fingers sticking up. I've never seen an alt-righter go for that sort of obfuscation - it's always clearly supposed to be the ok sign.)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have to admit, if not for this forum, I wouldn't know it was a hate symbol.

Lots of people still use it innocently, which is what makes more sinister in some respects. You don't know if the other person is using it as simple OK or if they harbour fucked up views.

Not to mention that allows for a lot of built in plausible deniability.
That's exactly why they're using it. It's a code. To people who don't understand it, you're just making an "ok" sign; to people who do understand it, you're sending a message of solidarity; to people who suspect it's a hate sign, you can say "don't be an idiot, it's an ok sign, lol."

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018

God I hate these people.

From years back. There's actually a lot of videos on Youtube "debunking" the usage among far right circles.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This thing fucking confuses me. Because people legitimately use this to troll people still and I think if anything it's become more popular now as a trolling meme having nothing to do with white supremacy.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. At the same time, people should watch out when it's being used in a situation where it makes no sense to be saying "OK!"

Like, a person flashing the sign when posing for a simple photo is probably a real shitbag.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Don´t give them anything. Like that silly thing with Kek which was an insider WoW joke and then those idiots started to overtake it with Kekistan and all that crap. Fuck them. kek means lol in orcish. FOREVER. Period.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's acceptable because it's a widely used gesture. It just depends on context. Nobody normal throws out an okay sign for political shit.

Oct 27, 2017
It's acceptable because it's a widely used gesture. It just depends on context. Nobody normal throws out an okay sign for political shit.
And it's easy to spot because they hold it for so long. The only other people who hold it that long are playing the stupid gotcha game, and if you're doing that after the age of 12, you deserve to have people question your intentions if you're still using it.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Just call it out when you see it used that way, because that's the important thing. Don't dismiss it as just a joke, or just a meme - that's explicitly what they want you to do.

"Hey, fuck off Nazi" vs "Lol it's nothing guys it's just memeing". Always tell Nazis to fuck off.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me if you are using the OK hand symbol to say "OK!" then it's... ok!

If you are using it as some alt-right troll, guess what, you think the same things are funny/troll-worthy as a mass murderer.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
If you do it with your left hand, it doesn't spell any acronyms to people looking at it.

The "WP = White Power" acronym is a bullshit narrative thrown together by 4channers to make it look more legitimate. The actual point of the ok sign was to troll liberals into "looking crazy" by thinking a benign hand gesture was a hate symbol.

However, when a lot of people start flashing the ok sign in pictures for some reason and they all happen to be white supremacists and alt-righters, then meaning and association start being applied regardless of intent. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, as the saying goes.