• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now that Westworld, Thrones, The Flash, Supergirl, Star Trek Discovery, The Orville and Legion are on hiatus

WHAT ELSE IS THERE FOR US NERDS TO WATCH NOW?
I am thankful to get to sleep for a change :P Work is tough when i have to catch up on so many shows and then comment online lol

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So now that Westworld, Thrones, The Flash, Supergirl, Star Trek Discovery, The Orville and Legion are on hiatus

WHAT ELSE IS THERE FOR US NERDS TO WATCH NOW?

Just watched luke cage s2 and discovered penny dreadful. Later in the summer my queue will be empty but barely. Netflix and hulu crank out content so much that I almost can't keep up.

Nvm, just realized expanse is on prime so my queue won't be empty.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
its funny how now it's universally loved when everyone hated it after the pilot

people are so finicky
I didn't hate it after the pilot, but they went a little too heavy on the Family Guy-esque humor for the first couple of episodes.

That being said, a lot of sci-fi shows have stinkers during their first season, including the show this one is emulating.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
It was more the critics who were panning the pilot. Regular viewers were saying it was just meh to decent.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its funny how now it's universally loved when everyone hated it after the pilot

people are so finicky

I liked this show from episode 1, but I do remember the context for the initial aversion.

The first issue was that the first three episodes were admittedly pretty weak. I still liked the show, but it was more that I liked the concept of it, and was holding out hope that the season would ramp up, which it did. The second issue was that nobody really knew what to expect from the show. A lot of people, myself included, naturally assumed that this was going to be a straight comedy show. It took me like half way through the first season to accept that it's more drama than comedy. And then finally, the show launched at the same time as Star Trek Discovery, so there was that little fan boy competition crap going on.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailers and Fox absolutely sold the show as a comedy that had a veneer of Trek. That's why it scored so lowly at first. People expected it to be the opposite of what it ended up being.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailers and Fox absolutely sold the show as a comedy that had a veneer of Trek. That's why it scored so lowly at first. People expected it to be the opposite of what it ended up being.
Actually those trailers turned me off on the show. And I didn't watch it till after the season as over. When I finally watched it, it was great. Really sad I slept on the show for so long

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate it after the pilot, but they went a little too heavy on the Family Guy-esque humor for the first couple of episodes.

That being said, a lot of sci-fi shows have stinkers during their first season, including the show this one is emulating.

Fair points all around!

I really came to LOVE this show, such s great flavour of science fiction show to complement what else is out there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need to finish watching it, but it did turn out to be a lot better than I expected. Reminds me of 90s scifi Andromeda, B5, Earth Final conflict, etc. Which I love

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It blew my mind that he didn't stink up the joint. And they have some semi decent stories.

Seth loves TNG to an almost obsessive degree. I have to imagine that it would destroy him if he fucked it up.

The show has its problems, but I was really surprised by how it came together in the end. Some really good episodes, and some surprisingly solid character moments. If it manages to grow the beard for season 2, it could be really great when it comes back.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Seth loves TNG to an almost obsessive degree. I have to imagine that it would destroy him if he fucked it up.

The show has its problems, but I was really surprised by how it came together in the end. Some really good episodes, and some surprisingly solid character moments. If it manages to grow the beard for season 2, it could be really great when it comes back.

No doubt. I'm looking forward to it. The only characters I don't like are the knucklehead brothers that are written for prat falls every damned time. Everyone else has had some good exploration.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
36622831_1810880442339088_4112231701868969984_n.jpg

Let's get some of that sweet season 2 details coming this saturday!

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not nearly enough Alara... I fear she is going to be in this show a lot less this season, maybe even written off or the actress leaving altogether

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Hardly anybody was prominently featured. LaMarr got 1 line and it was him making a gunshot sound... Why is that worth noting. Stop being perverts

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looked great. Seems like they've really found their footing and voice.

And thank God they aren't marketing it as a comedy this time around.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was dumbass Fox's fault... Seth was worried about people's expectations going into the Orville even at last year's comic con when he thought the trailer focused too much on comedy

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THey will be doing a First Contact mission and the hinted episode of Alara heading back to her homeworld, probably to see her parents again (which means Bob Picardo returning)

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 looks great. This show caught me off guard last season when I watched an episode out of curiosity. I don't really like Seth MacFarlane's stuff generally and I've casually enjoyed Star Trek stuff in the past but I got hooked on The Orville really quickly. It's well-made, surprisingly thoughtful, and all-around entertaining. I hope season 2 does even better than the last one.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The show is dumb as a bag of rocks but it's really fun.

I think it's turning out to be smarter than it had any right to be.

The episode with the worship society had a really smart and hopeful message. It may be accused of being naive, but the idea that a society can work out it's issues without outside interference was refreshing and clever.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's turning out to be smarter than it had any right to be.
Idunno if I would go that far. I really liked the first season a lot but the bar of quality swung so far in both directions it was jarring sometimes going from one ep to the next. Some of them were really well written even by Trek standards and then some of them they were being chased around the spaceship by a spooky clown.

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly anybody was prominently featured. LaMarr got 1 line and it was him making a gunshot sound... Why is that worth noting. Stop being perverts
There have been rumors she's leaving the show, I know she was filming something for netflix so she had a reduced role this season, but she's genuinely one of the better characters so I hope she comes back

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comfort food... don't mean it have to be smart or healthy... just reminds you of the good ol days

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Kinda weird that the time from 0:56-0:59 where they showed all the chars, Alara was nowhere to be seen. They didn't seem to highlight her in this segment. Glad to see she's in other parts but her omission here seems odd. Have they said she'd have a lesser role this season? Either way, can't wait for the new season!

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird that the time from 0:56-0:59 where they showed all the chars, Alara was nowhere to be seen. They didn't seem to highlight her in this segment. Glad to see she's in other parts but her omission here seems odd. Have they said she'd have a lesser role this season? Either way, can't wait for the new season!

Yes but it's because she was filming something else for netflix, no word on if she's leaving the show or getting a reduced role, they did cast another security officer though.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Idunno if I would go that far. I really liked the first season a lot but the bar of quality swung so far in both directions it was jarring sometimes going from one ep to the next. Some of them were really well written even by Trek standards and then some of them they were being chased around the spaceship by a spooky clown.
Star Trek has plenty of goofy stinkers.